The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Game Analysis: Pregame And Postgame Discussion

fourtrax

Guest keithman

the first game can set the tone for the series. it's happened too often.

http://www.gazblogs.com/habsinsideout-file...s/komisarek.mp3

komisarek interview....nice guy. very energetic. can't wait till he's back

the price interview on habsinsideout is good as well. You can sense their excitement!!

i love the whole sense of playoff beards. actaully, all the interviews are good. gorges/pleks...etc.

Guest GreekHockeyCoach
In reading other posts throughout the forum. I've come to the conclusion that this first game is a must win, and let me tell you why. I don't expect Koivu to play the first game, and perhaps even Komisarek will be out, and from what I read yesterday "The Bubble" tried to skate twice and couldn't do it, so he's out for sure. Win the the first game and the urgency to rush a player back from an injury isn't there. The longer the players can rest the better off it is for everyone. So, with that in mind I say it's a must win for the Habs.

I'll agree with you Freddy. We need to set the tone early in the series and work from there.

On another note, it's funny to read all the articles on nhl.com, tsn.ca, montreal gazette etc. and all those so called experts that picked us to finish 12-14 are now praising this team and saying that we'll beat the Bruins quite easily. It just goes to show you that once again they know nothing about hockey. Well, I'll take that back, maybe they do know hockey but I'm not too sure about the "expert" part. Regardless, logic and experience dictates that the regular season gets thrown out the window when the playoffs roll around. There are always the upsets and the hungrier team almost always prevails.

I'm pretty confident we'll come out on top but that's due to my positive nature. If Les Boys play hungry and want it more than Boston then they will win. Like I've said before though, don't count Boston out, they'll come out fighting because they have alot to prove as well.

Guest Innis_Mor

Nothing matters more than "how have you been playing lately". That is the most reliable predictor of how a team is going to play in the near term.

And that bodes well for the Habs, IMHO.

Take for example, Carey Price. "Lately" for him means since he was designated the Habs' # 1 goalie. Well he's played near off the chart at .943 save %. I think he will continue that play into these play-offs (where he excels the best, based on his history). A .943 save % means it takes 35 shots on goal against to give up a measly 2 goals!!

The Habs are going to win more games than they lose if they are only giving up 2 goals or less every game! The Cup is won by the team that wins more games than it loses (yeah, I know, aren't I brilliant! ;) ).

(I really can't understand why so many people ('analysyts' included) insist on quoting season long statistics as they assess team performance prospects for the play-offs! I suppose they are easy to grab. The last 20-25 games are all that matter (how teams have been playing lately), with due recognition of the opposition played as well.)

Montreal - San Jose Final, and a whale of a series, because to that point they will both have been playing very well lately!!

Guest Innis_Mor
On another note, it's funny to read all the articles on nhl.com, tsn.ca, montreal gazette etc. and all those so called experts that picked us to finish 12-14 are now praising this team and saying that we'll beat the Bruins quite easily. It just goes to show you that once again they know nothing about hockey.
Last night was a bit of a howl. None of them would publicly eat crow, and all but one would not lick their wounds and go and predict Montreal to make it to the Finals!! :lol: What a joke. And still not a one has a proper appreciation for Carey Price or what he is capable of. As Gainey said yesterday, he saw it first hand in the AHL play-offs last year (thank the Habs for missing the NHL play-offs last year!!).

Those 'analyts' are all hoping the Habs will 'choke' and not make it to the Finals so that they can say "See, the regular season was just a fluke!" Picking the Habs over the Bruins is just too easy for them; I certainly don't give them any credit for it. Heck even the Boston media is picking the Habs!! :lol: , and they have to sell papers!!. The analysts would really look stupid if they picked the Habs to 'fail' again (this time against the Bruins) and then have the Habs win in 4 straight!!

As I said on another thread, the TSN guys are all pulling for the Habs to lose and get out soon, so that ratings might go up on their TSN game broadcasts (CBC, not TSN, has all the Hab games). They don't even try and cover up their bias. Well guys, your ratings aren't going to be as good as you would hope!! The Habs are going all the way, whether you like it or not!!

My favourite "prediction" last night? TSN's Millard!! :lol: What a DINK! :lol: He picked an Ottawa-Calgary Final!! :lol::rolleyes: TSN would not even re-post his prediction on its own website!! :lol: Millard!! Kissing his anglo-Canadian audience on both cheeks. "Love ya!!" What a hoot!! :lol: Millard!! he doesn't even take himself seriously!! :lol::lol:

Guest paul_b

I have been a Habs fan all my life and will always be a Habs fan. I am going to say this, from a fan of hockey perspective. And even though this will sound overconfident it is true......

There is just no reason, NO REASON, why this series should take longer then next Tuesday. I just feel that if we are on our game, which we will be, we will take the series. We have dominated this team all season and no reason why it should stop now.

Go Habs Go!!

Setting aside the top two lines for a second, I actually expect the Latendresse-Lapierre-Dandenault line (if Carbo keeps it together) to have more success than you'd think against Boston, particularly down low. Lapierre and Dandy are both quick skaters and should give the slower Boston D all kinds of trouble if they can forecheck effectively and force turnovers along the wall. This could play in our favour especially well if Metropolit is forced to sit due to his foot injury and Julien has to rotate in some less experienced bodies on his third D pairing, which, one would imagine, would be the pairing matched up against our lower lines.

If Carbo matches lines effectively -- and since we're at home, there's no reason why he can't -- we should be able to catch the Bruins in matchups that are favourable to us.

Guest 1970 Habs

Komisarek in, O'Byrne out for Game 1

Canadiens defenceman Mike Komisarek has been cleared to play in Game 1 tonight against the Boston Bruins, his hip ready to go in what promises to be a physical game at the Bell Centre. Komisarek has missed the past seven games.

Ryan O'Byrne will sit this one out, as will fellow rearguard Francis Bouillon, still troubled by a wonky right foot after having taken a shot off it March 29 in Toronto. Bouillon told reporters he'll need another couple of days.

Source: http://www.habsinsideout.com/

I do not like this move myself as O'Byrne brings a much needed physical presence that this team is going to need in the playoffs. They should both play. Get Ryan in there and christen him with his 1st game.

But most importantly despite being a rookie Ryan was the best player in plus/minus on the team going down the stretch; he was +11 since returning from his injury 12 February.

He has not been a weak link at all on the team.

Guest Innis_Mor
Komisarek in, O'Byrne out for Game 1

Canadiens defenceman Mike Komisarek has been cleared to play in Game 1 tonight against the Boston Bruins, his hip ready to go in what promises to be a physical game at the Bell Centre. Komisarek has missed the past seven games.

Ryan O'Byrne will sit this one out, as will fellow rearguard Francis Bouillon, still troubled by a wonky right foot after having taken a shot off it March 29 in Toronto. Bouillon told reporters he'll need another couple of days.

Source: http://www.habsinsideout.com/

I do not like this move myself as O'Byrne brings a much needed physical presence that this team is going to need in the playoffs. They should both play. Get Ryan in there and christen him with his 1st game.

But most importantly despite being a rookie Ryan was the best player in plus/minus on the team going down the stretch; he was +11 since returning from his injury 12 February.

He has not been a weak link at all on the team.

I am reading this decision for Game 1 (and it may only be for Game 1) as Carbo is going for topping out on the "experience" -- he's got enough young-uns -- and Game 1 in the Bell Centre tonight is going to be nothing short of an absolute zoo. I think that means Dandy in, and Grabs out as well. We'll see though.

I can't say as I can argue much with Carbo on this. If the Habs limit their mistakes tonight, (and mistakes can be launched by jitters alone), then the Habs should win this game, and have the important 1-0 lead. After that you just have to bounce back from any losses (which the Habs have done all year long, maybe better than any Club in the League), and you win the Series!!

As a reference point, refer to San Jose's game last night. ;)

We might expect Carbo to open up more opportunities for the likes of O'Byrne and Grabovski once this one is under the belt, and the two have had their initial exposure to the setting, albeit from the stands.

GO HABS GO !!

Guest jeff33

hmmm i dont know if i like OB being out...maybe if bouillon wasnt injured but whatever long series, im sure we will see him at some point

I would like the PP to get on track for game 2. Specifically, I want Streit to make better decisions with the puck at the blueline. Last night, I found he was getting too impatient and firing that point shot away before our forwards were in optimal position to redirect the shot or pounce on a rebound. When we have puck possession, there is no reason to rush. Let Kovalev work the puck on the boards to get the Bruins clustered around the net trying to take away his shot. When they drop into the box, Thomas is completely screened, so the point shot will be open.

Guest GreekHockeyCoach
I would like the PP to get on track for game 2. Specifically, I want Streit to make better decisions with the puck at the blueline. Last night, I found he was getting too impatient and firing that point shot away before our forwards were in optimal position to redirect the shot or pounce on a rebound. When we have puck possession, there is no reason to rush. Let Kovalev work the puck on the boards to get the Bruins clustered around the net trying to take away his shot. When they drop into the box, Thomas is completely screened, so the point shot will be open.

Very good point. I noticed that too. Way too many one timers especially on the 5 on 3. The other thing I noticed on the PP last night, they kept trying to go east-west way too much and the Bruins were prepared, they blocked those passing lanes successfully. They are more effective when they cycle around the face off circle thus catching the opposing team sleeping and hitting a D-man backdoor. For some reason, and correct me if I'm wrong, but it looked like they were standing around too much on the PP. Usually the movement of the puck and the movement of the players without the puck is superior than what we witnessed last night.

Very good point. I noticed that too. Way too many one timers especially on the 5 on 3. The other thing I noticed on the PP last night, they kept trying to go east-west way too much and the Bruins were prepared, they blocked those passing lanes successfully. They are more effective when they cycle around the face off circle thus catching the opposing team sleeping and hitting a D-man backdoor. For some reason, and correct me if I'm wrong, but it looked like they were standing around too much on the PP. Usually the movement of the puck and the movement of the players without the puck is superior than what we witnessed last night.

Agreed on all counts. When they move their feet and cycle the puck fast and accurately, they can capitalize on the extra man coming free backdoor which the PKers simply can't defend with much success. Standing still and going east-west all the time lets the Bruins off the hook. They have a terrible penalty kill, and we have the top-ranked PP in the league. Tomorrow night, we should make that disparity glaringly apparent. :)

Guest Innis_Mor
"Less patient" was, I thought, the 'undoing' (as much as you can have such in a 4-1 win ;) ) of the Habs' PP last night. And that applied to virtually all the players on the ice for the PP's, although I can't help but think we must give some credit to the Bruin players as well.

At first, during the game, I was thinking the same thing with Streit continually unloading from the point. After the game, I had to accept that every time it was on a good, long east-west pass from the other point, or the far corner, and that he had a clear lane to the goal mouth for a shot. I suppose you can't really argue with letting it fly then, getting it on net, below waist-high and looking for it to get through or a deflection of some sort. I don't think I'll overly fault Streit on his PP play last night; I'll just call it overall "less patience" of all the PP players. I mean, I've seen Hab PP units pass it around in the offensive for 1:30+ this season(and nary a "Shoot!!" from the Habs fans in the stands), before they finally opened up a lane to the back of the net and popped it in. It didn't look like they were willing to wait that long last night.

The PP will more be patient, and more successful, next game, I expect.

Guest keithman

I wouldn't call it lack of patience, but more experimentation since the habs were up 4-1. I mean, there's no need to run the score up in the playoffs. gotta save some in the tank for the next game.

I'm sure if it was 2-1 we would've seen a more disciplined powerplay.

With that said, Montreal owned the puck for the most part of their powerplays. so that's good. it will do its damages in time.

OMG: 2000th POST!!!!

"Less patient" was, I thought, the 'undoing' (as much as you can have such in a 4-1 win ;) ) of the Habs' PP last night. And that applied to virtually all the players on the ice for the PP's, although I can't help but think we must give some credit to the Bruin players as well.

At first, during the game, I was thinking the same thing with Streit continually unloading from the point. After the game, I had to accept that every time it was on a good, long east-west pass from the other point, or the far corner, and that he had a clear lane to the goal mouth for a shot. I suppose you can't really argue with letting it fly then, getting it on net, below waist-high and looking for it to get through or a deflection of some sort. I don't think I'll overly fault Streit on his PP play last night; I'll just call it overall "less patience" of all the PP players. I mean, I've seen Hab PP units pass it around in the offensive for 1:30+ this season(and nary a "Shoot!!" from the Habs fans in the stands), before they finally opened up a lane to the back of the net and popped it in. It didn't look like they were willing to wait that long last night.

The PP will more be patient, and more successful, next game, I expect.

Good post, Innis. I agree that the unit as a whole lacked patience. The reason I singled Streit out is because I remember at least one time when we won a faceoff, Markov would pass to Streit, and Streit would unload before the centre could even get into optimal position for a redirect. But the other players certainly weren't as patient as they normally are.

I wouldn't call it lack of patience, but more experimentation since the habs were up 4-1. I mean, there's no need to run the score up in the playoffs. gotta save some in the tank for the next game.

I'm sure if it was 2-1 we would've seen a more disciplined powerplay.

True. The 5-on-3 came when we already had the game locked up, and I don't think anyone was looking to embarrass the Bruins by piling on more goals. The last thing you want to do is give the other team extra motivation.

Guest Dintrox12

Things I liked about Game #1:

1. We came out flying and kept the 7th man in the game all night. The crowd was electric from start to finish. (wish I could have been there).

2. Our physical play was great. We out hit the Bruins. The best part is it was not just the checkers, role players, and Komi ,but the entire team. Andrei K. running Chara :) I think the Habs were trying to answer those critics that say the team is too soft. We got to keep this up.

3. Carbo rolling all 4 lines. Rolling 4 lines will keep the boys from tiring out. As well, all our lines were getting chances and making good plays. Kosto and smoke scored last night so WTG boys.

4. Ringing the boards with shoot ins and our strong fore check was producing chances and really limited Thomas' ability to play the puck.

Guest muskeg

glad to see the boys come out with a W and in what sounds like s dominating performance. i was reading the boston paper this morning and the columnist was saying the habs were doing a lot of hitting, but that a lot of dirty (he singled out hamrlik). is this true, or is it sour grapes?

Guest 1337FREAK
glad to see the boys come out with a W and in what sounds like s dominating performance. i was reading the boston paper this morning and the columnist was saying the habs were doing a lot of hitting, but that a lot of dirty (he singled out hamrlik). is this true, or is it sour grapes?

Hamrlik had a few solid hits, none of them looked dirty to me

Guest Innis_Mor

Short and succinct, from Mike Boone:

"I thought Canadiens would have a tough time winning last night. Boston was due.

Then the puck dropped. And the Bruins were doo-doo."

:lol::lol::D

Guest Dintrox12

hamrlik laid out Lucic (a bruins fan favourite) twice in one shift both legal but heavy hits...

Guest Harvey

In last night's game, the scoring went:

1st Period

Montreal 0:34, Sergei Kostitsyn 1 (Patrice Brisebois)

Montreal 2:02, Andrei Kostitsyn 1 (Tomas Plekanec)

Boston 8:34, Shane Hnidy 1 (Andrew Ference, Phil Kessel)

2nd Period

Montreal 5:16, Bryan Smolinski 1 (Tom Kostopoulos, Mike Komisarek)

3rd Period

Montreal 7:24, Tom Kostopoulos 1 (Maxim Lapierre, Mark Streit)

Who gets the game winning goal for the Habs, and why does he get it?

Guest muskeg
In last night's game, the scoring went:

1st Period

Montreal 0:34, Sergei Kostitsyn 1 (Patrice Brisebois)

Montreal 2:02, Andrei Kostitsyn 1 (Tomas Plekanec)

Boston 8:34, Shane Hnidy 1 (Andrew Ference, Phil Kessel)

2nd Period

Montreal 5:16, Bryan Smolinski 1 (Tom Kostopoulos, Mike Komisarek)

3rd Period

Montreal 7:24, Tom Kostopoulos 1 (Maxim Lapierre, Mark Streit)

Who gets the game winning goal for the Habs, and why does he get it?

andrei i'm pretty sure because his goal (the 2nd) was the one necessary to top boston's 1 (even though it came later)

Archived