The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Game Analysis: Pregame And Postgame Discussion

fourtrax

Guest Harvey
andrei i'm pretty sure because his goal (the 2nd) was the one necessary to top boston's 1 (even though it came later)

If true, then why is it a game winning goal? It seems somewhat arbitrary, as it is more a function of what Boston does after the goal, than what the goal did for the Habs.

Guest muskeg
If true, then why is it a game winning goal? It seems somewhat arbitrary, as it is more a function of what Boston does after the goal, than what the goal did for the Habs.

i don't make the rules, i just sort of know what they are.

Guest Price Fan #1

is anyone herei wanted to know how to make the signature pics yourself. A lot of people make me jealous with all the nice ones

Guest habs_fan1160

Can't wait until tomorrow's game. It feels like 10 days since we last played and it was only yesterday.

Hopefully we can go up 2 games at home. It'll make it tough for Boston to beat us if they can't win at least one on the road to even out the series. I think it'll be a good game. Even moreso, I'm excited about seeing the crowed at the beginning, that's always a highlight for me during the playoffs. The Bell Centre rocks.

Guest Harvey
i don't make the rules, i just sort of know what they are.

I just don't see how the second Habs goal could be considered a game winning goal. Apparently the rules call out for it to be one, but I don't see that it was any more important than any of the other Habs goals. Perhaps I'm missing something.

Guest Onzeee

Long ways to go in this series, the Bruins will make adjustments tommorownight and wont come out so nervous... they are really looking for that first goal because they havent gotten it on us all season. all they want is to score first and then line across the neutral zone that is there whole deal

On our part we have to start it off the same way as lastnight by coming out and drilling some people to really get the building going

Guest HabSteve
Long ways to go in this series, the Bruins will make adjustments tommorownight and wont come out so nervous... they are really looking for that first goal because they havent gotten it on us all season. all they want is to score first and then line across the neutral zone that is there whole deal

On our part we have to start it off the same way as lastnight by coming out and drilling some people to really get the building going

indeed, and we know that if we score a quick one all they will think is... here we go again. We need to kill their hopes and not let them into this game, win the first 2 game, keep the home ice advantage et go win in Boston.

Guest Innis_Mor
Better yet, put the puck in the net on the first shift again!!

I expect Carbo will start with the AK46-Pleks-AK27 line tonight, to include their introduction -- it would make sense. It is partly a motivational thing, and partly a recognition (salute) thing with these home games. Worked like a charm the first game!! -- a goal in 32 seconds, and the Hammer-Brise defensive tandem really stepped it up!

Look for Kovi's line + Markov-Komi to be introduced as the starting line-up tonight (if you can hear above the din!).

Game 1 from some lucky fan at mid-ice: 0:45 it just gets nuts loud! Announcer: "Accueillons Nos C_______ ... can't hear the rest!! :D

(Hey, does that announcer get paid to do the pre-game starting line-up intro's? I'll do it for free!!)

GO HABS GO!!

Guest Innis_Mor

Habs crowd (the 7th man) ....

from: Boston Herald this morning -- http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/hockey/...54&srvc=rss

Among the many nonsensical cliches mouthed by the denizens of the NHL is that playing on the road shouldn’t really be much different - and no more difficult - than playing at home.

The author of that bit of wisdom must never have seen a playoff game in the Montreal Canadiens’ home rink.

Because the only conclusion that could be drawn, experiencing the astonishing atmosphere inside the Bell Centre before and during the Canadiens’ totally one-sided 4-1 victory over the Bruins in Game 1 of their first-round series Thursday, was that the B’s were beaten even before the puck was dropped.

The B’s stepped onto the ice to an absolute cacophony, blasted by a seismic sound wave of 21,000-plus frenzied locals who embrace this team to the very bottom of their souls.

“With the crazy crowd, the singing, the towel-waving, it was like being a Roman gladiator,” said B’s goalie Tim Thomas.

For tonight .... Push Rewind; Push Repeat. :D Enjoy!!

Guest hablover
Habs crowd (the 7th man) ....

from: Boston Herald this morning -- http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/hockey/...54&srvc=rss

Among the many nonsensical cliches mouthed by the denizens of the NHL is that playing on the road shouldn’t really be much different - and no more difficult - than playing at home.

The author of that bit of wisdom must never have seen a playoff game in the Montreal Canadiens’ home rink.

Because the only conclusion that could be drawn, experiencing the astonishing atmosphere inside the Bell Centre before and during the Canadiens’ totally one-sided 4-1 victory over the Bruins in Game 1 of their first-round series Thursday, was that the B’s were beaten even before the puck was dropped.

The B’s stepped onto the ice to an absolute cacophony, blasted by a seismic sound wave of 21,000-plus frenzied locals who embrace this team to the very bottom of their souls.

“With the crazy crowd, the singing, the towel-waving, it was like being a Roman gladiator,” said B’s goalie Tim Thomas.

For tonight .... Push Rewind; Push Repeat. :D Enjoy!!

thats so cool! The bell centre was rocking last game!

I love what Carey Price said "I could hardly hear myself think"

Guest Innis_Mor
Wow, I heard of giving the other team credit for a good game, but wow. Not sure he did much for his future in Boston or team morale with that one.
Sorry, maybe I should have mentioned it was a tongue-in-cheek 'parody(?)' that someone wrote up on a blog.

Guest 1970 Habs
Wow, I heard of giving the other team credit for a good game, but wow. Not sure he did much for his future in Boston or team morale with that one.

Giving Montreal a false sense of confidence maybe. ;)

I think tonight's game will determine whether this series is going to be a short one or a long tough one.

Guest olddude
Sorry, maybe I should have mentioned it was a tongue-in-cheek 'parody(?)' that someone wrote up on a blog.

That makes more sense, It would be suicide for a coach to make comments like that.

Guest olddude
Giving Montreal a false sense of confidence maybe. ;)

I think tonight's game will determine whether this series is going to be a short one or a long tough one.

If those had been Juliens actual comments, I don't know that it would build a "false" sense of confidence, as the statement was a fairly accurate description of the game. I do agree tonights game will have an impact on the series though.

Guest bigsby

what?! hours before puck drop and there's no gdt?! i'd like to add my one liner before tonight!

as for this thread...i don't have much pre-game analaysis to add. if the habs come out firing and hitting like they did in game one the bruins won't have much to work with. i'd like it if they could make a weapon out of their pp but i'm not to worried about it.

i think thomas and price will be much steadier from the start so the boys are going to have to work hard tonight. i expect a tight game.

Guest hablover
GAME # 2 - take the win and move on - going to have to play better tomorrow night

Cannot let Boston have 39 shots , no matter how many of them were from far out and IMO they have to start hustling more .

Thats right, we got the win, thats what we came for....now move on

tomorrow night is a whole other night, whole other game!

Hopefully we come out flying....I think this game was a shock to everyone.....

Guest HabSteve

We just need our PP to work again, that's a crucial part of all this because now the Bruins aren't affraid of taking penalties , something that they were in game 1 and made them hold back a little on the physical side, the last 2 games we've seen get back at hitting at will.

Now they know they can beat us, we need to cut their hopes tuesday.

Guest Renko
We just need our PP to work again, that's a crucial part of all this because now the Bruins aren't affraid of taking penalties , something that they were in game 1 and made them hold back a little on the physical side, the last 2 games we've seen get back at hitting at will.

Now they know they can beat us, we need to cut their hopes tuesday.

I completely agree, but watching it I'm not sure what the problem is. It might be that the Bruins are playing very aggressive but it isn't like no one has tried that before. We usually just pick teams apart with passing if they over-commit. I think our best passing players (Plekanec, A. Kostisyn) are just squeezing the stick a little too much or they're trying to do too much on their own. Don't worry, they'll settle it down soon enough.

Guest Dintrox12

The powerplay needs to start clicking. A PP that works makes the other team think hard about taking foolish penalties.

We have to be patient open up the box and keep skating. Seems that the team has been very flat footed on the PP the last 2 games.

I would also like to see some line up changes for game 4. OB was stepping it up when Komi was out. He should get a shot in the line up. Grabs might also get some time and Stewart can bring it physically.

Right now the team is trying to hard.. They need to keep it simple shoot the puck at the net and pounce on rebounds. Thomas isn't great when it comes to rebounds..

Pleks, Kovy, Higgins, have got to step it up.. Our best line has been Kosto - smoke - bang bang. ??

The OT was the only time last night that the Habs had any sustained pressure. We need that effort for 60 minutes from start to finish.

Guest GreekHockeyCoach
The powerplay needs to start clicking. A PP that works makes the other team think hard about taking foolish penalties.

We have to be patient open up the box and keep skating. Seems that the team has been very flat footed on the PP the last 2 games.

I would also like to see some line up changes for game 4. OB was stepping it up when Komi was out. He should get a shot in the line up. Grabs might also get some time and Stewart can bring it physically.

Right now the team is trying to hard.. They need to keep it simple shoot the puck at the net and pounce on rebounds. Thomas isn't great when it comes to rebounds..

Pleks, Kovy, Higgins, have got to step it up.. Our best line has been Kosto - smoke - bang bang. ??

The OT was the only time last night that the Habs had any sustained pressure. We need that effort for 60 minutes from start to finish.

I agree that our PP needs to start clicking. However, it's not rare in the playoffs that new heros emerge. In most cases, teams try to shut down the key players, the superstars. Philly is doing it to Ovechkin and Boston is doing it to Kovalev. This is where the supporting cast comes in. At the moment, the Kostopoulos line has stepped it up. It does seem like the top two lines are scared to mix it up and grind it out in the corners like they've been doing all year. They have to overcome that "phobia" if you want to call it that and play a simpler game. The Bruins have done a good job in the past two games hitting us and making us rush our passes. Without our transition game and breakout passes we're no better than any team in this playoffs. What separates us is our ability to make that quick initial pass and use our speed to enter the zone, something that has not been working very effectively the last two games.

Is it time to panic? Not yet. If we lose Tuesday, then I'll be concerned. However, this team has shown us time after time this year that they bounce back after a tough loss and usually play their best games. For all of you panicking out there, DON'T. This team is the real deal and they want to win just as badly as we want them to win and more. I posted after Saturday's game that it would have probably been better if they lost, not that I wanted them to but as a wake up call. Well, here's the wake up call and I'm sure Les Habitants will come out flying tomorrow. I stand by my original prediction, Habs in 5.

One of our PP problems is that we keep doing the same thing over and over without success. In the first game, we kept trying the point shot despite the fact that it wasn't open. That didn't work, so subsequently we've been trying the east-west passes in the slot, but those aren't open right now. What we need to do is do BOTH in the same game so that the Bruins can't just play one or the other. Right now, they are giving us the point shot because we aren't making them pay for that decision. So let's start sticking it to them with the point shots. Get a few pucks through and hope for a redirect for a goal. All of a sudden, you've planted the seed of doubt in their minds, so on the next power play, they'll play the point men closer, and the ice will open up down low.

Guest CristoWallHuet39

We have the worst (16th best) PP in the playoffs so far going 1 for 18. We had the best PP in the regular season and Boston had the 28th best in the league. This is crazy. Boston is taking 6 penalties a game, we should be getting 1, 2 or 3 PPG per game. If we can get out PP clicking, and keep it clicking for the rest of the playoffs, as well has have Carey Price staying solid, then we can't be stopped.

Archived