The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Game Analysis: Pregame And Postgame Discussion

fourtrax

Guest Renko
One of our PP problems is that we keep doing the same thing over and over without success. In the first game, we kept trying the point shot despite the fact that it wasn't open. That didn't work, so subsequently we've been trying the east-west passes in the slot, but those aren't open right now. What we need to do is do BOTH in the same game so that the Bruins can't just play one or the other. Right now, they are giving us the point shot because we aren't making them pay for that decision. So let's start sticking it to them with the point shots. Get a few pucks through and hope for a redirect for a goal. All of a sudden, you've planted the seed of doubt in their minds, so on the next power play, they'll play the point men closer, and the ice will open up down low.

I have a different opinion even though we agree we need to start doing things differently on the powerplay. I think our success over the regular season has to do with not being afraid to take the shot when the lane opens up. And with teams overplaying Kovalev there were always lanes opening up. Well Boston is still overplaying Kovalev and I just think we should not be afraid to put a good shot on goal.

Another reason for success was Kovalev's (among others) ability to beat a defender one on one to open up an odd-man situation down low, especially coming off the half-boards. As risky as this play is when your powerplay isn't working, I still think its worth it to fake a chance and attempt to make a move. I think were passing it around, waiting for a mistake instead of FORCING mistakes.

I have a different opinion even though we agree we need to start doing things differently on the powerplay. I think our success over the regular season has to do with not being afraid to take the shot when the lane opens up. And with teams overplaying Kovalev there were always lanes opening up. Well Boston is still overplaying Kovalev and I just think we should not be afraid to put a good shot on goal.

Agreed. Boston is overplaying Kovalev, but we aren't capitalizing. The rest of the PP unit is standing still, not moving their legs, and not finding the dead-ice spots for shots or redirects. It's as if they're waiting for Kovalev to manufacture a goal entirely on his own, and while Kovalev certainly has the skill to do that at times (the OT winner on Saturday night being the main example), you can't expect one player, no matter how talented, to score all by himself game in and game out. If you look at Pittsburgh, Malkin is on fire, but who's scoring the goals? Peter Sykora. Even elite players like Malkin and Crosby need help.

Guest Renko
Agreed. Boston is overplaying Kovalev, but we aren't capitalizing. The rest of the PP unit is standing still, not moving their legs, and not finding the dead-ice spots for shots or redirects. It's as if they're waiting for Kovalev to manufacture a goal entirely on his own, and while Kovalev certainly has the skill to do that at times (the OT winner on Saturday night being the main example), you can't expect one player, no matter how talented, to score all by himself game in and game out. If you look at Pittsburgh, Malkin is on fire, but who's scoring the goals? Peter Sykora. Even elite players like Malkin and Crosby need help.

Good point. Plekanec and Kostitsyn need to step up. In my opinion more "blame" (I'm not the type to pass blame when we are winning a series) should fall on these guys for not taking advantage of the extra attention Kovalev is getting.

Guest Innis_Mor
Agreed. Boston is overplaying Kovalev, but we aren't capitalizing. The rest of the PP unit is standing still, not moving their legs, and not finding the dead-ice spots for shots or redirects.
And over-playing him on his half-boards generally means the cross-ice, the back-door, and (to a lesser extent) the quick pace to the crease are basically cut-out. The Habs PP is left with the point shot (which the Bruins seem to be giving up in all this), or coming out from down low with a pass (meaning from Pleks usually). I am getting the feeling watching AK27 on the PP this series, that he prefers not go the point shot route. But, you have to go with what they give you.

Guest Proudones
One of our PP problems is that we keep doing the same thing over and over without success. In the first game, we kept trying the point shot despite the fact that it wasn't open. That didn't work, so subsequently we've been trying the east-west passes in the slot, but those aren't open right now. What we need to do is do BOTH in the same game so that the Bruins can't just play one or the other. Right now, they are giving us the point shot because we aren't making them pay for that decision. So let's start sticking it to them with the point shots. Get a few pucks through and hope for a redirect for a goal. All of a sudden, you've planted the seed of doubt in their minds, so on the next power play, they'll play the point men closer, and the ice will open up down low.

What we need to do is change the PP line-ups and get someone parked in the crease.

Guest rob2h

The habs are always looking for the big slapshot from the point on the PP,they should just throw a few nuckleballers or wrist shots in on Thomas and see what happens because Thomas gives up big rebounds at times.

Guest russianhabsfan

What about the fact that we have 2nd best PK unit in the league right now considering that we were virtually tied with some of the worst PK's in the league during the regular season?

Anybody's going to start looking on the bright side and stop being the fantasy coaches and managers they think they are and start cheering for this team or am I just crazy? :blink:

Anybody's going to start looking on the bright side and stop being the fantasy coaches and managers they think they are and start cheering for this team or am I just crazy? :blink:

You're perfectly free to 'look on the bright side', but by the same token, other members are equally free to have a different outlook.

Guest old-time Habs fan

Habs, in five, is still alive,

but only if we boost our drive;

otherwise, could go the wire,

and, God forbid, that we'd expire.

Have concerns, and stomach turns,

and, even, on occasion, burns,

while witnessing some fatal flaws,

when we get lost in Bruin's claws.

Points above this and below,

are poignant, if, sometimes, a blow,

to egos of the fans who fail,

to often see, yet, thus bewail.

CARRY ON HABS REGARDLESS!

Guest russianhabsfan

Gotcha, then "by the same token" I'm calling all those with a different outlook to come to their senses and actually start looking on the bright side. :lol: Let's start the therapy - we were predicted by everybody to finish in 12th-13th. ;)

Guest GreekHockeyCoach
Gotcha, then "by the same token" I'm calling all those with a different outlook to come to their senses and actually start looking on the bright side. :lol: Let's start the therapy - we were predicted by everybody to finish in 12th-13th. ;)

You moving in on my action, group therapy is my field :lol:

Guest russianhabsfan

Great Greek! So you talk some sense into "them"! "They" listen better to you. Plus you have special methods of persuasion with those pics of yours... ;):lol:

First off, if you begin an argument by telling someone to 'come to their senses,' don't expect too many converts to your point of view. ;)

Secondly, by finishing first in the eastern conference, the bar has been set higher. The media predictions of us finishing 12th or 13th and out of the playoffs are meaningless to me now. Having proved the pundits wrong, it's time to show that we are not overachievers, and that we can get our act together and close out a series against the weakest playoff team in the conference. The past two games have not been stellar at all. I have no problem with tight OT losses, especially in the playoffs, but I do have a problem when much of the team goes MIA for two consecutive games and our leading scorer is a fourth-line grinder who, at times this year, wasn't even in the lineup.

Guest Me_Habs_Fan

GHC .. PP / East - West passing.

Right, they are passing the puck to much on PP and the Bruins are onto it. Guys needs to stick handle in closer and take a good wrist shot or something. Since we don't have Saku for this, I would try Grabs and he could take some attention off Kovi. Having AK on in this situation is a plus. Once in the Boston end, the D .. Hammer / Marcov / Streit could pinch up.

Savard is doing that on the PP in Habs end. Just watch him.

Guest russianhabsfan

Yes yes, Weep! Let's prove those pundits wrong, that's much better! :lol: Now for the 2nd part of the therapy, let's start by remembering the smile on Saku's face when Kosto scored the equalizer. ;)

Savard's PP unit is 2nd last in the league :lol:, I wouldn't advise to watch them to any team. ;) GO HABS GO :P

Guest Innis_Mor
What about the fact that we have 2nd best PK unit in the league right now considering that we were virtually tied with some of the worst PK's in the league during the regular season?

You gotta go to the Positive Thread for that, especially after a loss. ;):D Otherwise we are all focused her on grumping and on being Coach-for-a-day!! :D

Guest GreekHockeyCoach
GHC .. PP / East - West passing.

Right, they are passing the puck to much on PP and the Bruins are onto it. Guys needs to stick handle in closer and take a good wrist shot or something. Since we don't have Saku for this, I would try Grabs and he could take some attention off Kovi. Having AK on in this situation is a plus. Once in the Boston end, the D .. Hammer / Marcov / Streit could pinch up.

I was sitting and analyzing our PP for the past two games. After much thought, here are some key points that I noticed:

Kovy is the quarterback of our powerplay. They are giving Kovy the shot from the faceoff circle but they are cluttering up the slot. That means that if Kovy shoots and Thomas make the save, the rebound is quickly iced. If Kovy doesn't shoot then the passing lanes are closed for a backdoor pass or a pass to someone cutting in the slot. They are doing a great job keeping the play to the perimeter.

Option 1: Either pass it to the point for a shot that's not getting through or drive the net with the puck while Pleks and Kosti crash the net for loose pucks.

Option 2: Cycle the puck around the faceoff circle (all three forwards on the same side) with quick touch passes until there is an opening for a shot or if the penalty killers collapse down low to break up the cycle it creates a point shot. (I've used this pp a few times myself) This also allows the weak side defenseman to pinch because the cycle maintains a forward high in the slot at all times thus never giving up odd man rushes.

Option 3: Put Komi or Hammer on the powerplay and park them in front of the net, it will occupy Chara trying to clear them thus creating more space to work the puck while setting a screen on Thomas. (I have a 6'5 defenseman on my team and I've done this as well)

Just some thoughts for our PP since Julien has done such a great job with the penalty killing and eliminating our east - west powerplay that has been so effective the whole year.

Guest russianhabsfan

Btw GreekCoach, sorry for confusing you with GreekFan. I was too fixated on the idea that I'd see more of the "hab girls" as another sort of therapy... :D

Guest Innis_Mor
I was sitting and analyzing our PP for the past two games. After much thought, here are some key points that I noticed:

Kovy is the quarterback of our powerplay. They are giving Kovy the shot from the faceoff circle but they are cluttering up the slot. That means that if Kovy shoots and Thomas make the save, the rebound is quickly iced. If Kovy doesn't shoot then the passing lanes are closed for a backdoor pass or a pass to someone cutting in the slot. They are doing a great job keeping the play to the perimeter.

Option 1: Either pass it to the point for a shot that's not getting through or drive the net with the puck while Pleks and Kosti crash the net for loose pucks.

Option 2: Cycle the puck around the faceoff circle (all three forwards on the same side) with quick touch passes until there is an opening for a shot or if the penalty killers collapse down low to break up the cycle it creates a point shot. (I've used this pp a few times myself) This also allows the weak side defenseman to pinch because the cycle maintains a forward high in the slot at all times thus never giving up odd man rushes.

Option 3: Put Komi or Hammer on the powerplay and park them in front of the net, it will occupy Chara trying to clear them thus creating more space to work the puck while setting a screen on Thomas. (I have a 6'5 defenseman on my team and I've done this as well)

Just some thoughts for our PP since Julien has done such a great job with the penalty killing and eliminating our east - west powerplay that has been so effective the whole year.

Options 1 and 3 are in the right vein I think. The puck to net has to come from the point or from behind/beside the net ("from down low") -- a "pass'n-stuff" as a I call it.

Guest GreekHockeyCoach
Btw GreekCoach, sorry for confusing you with GreekFan. I was too fixated on the idea that I'd see more of the "hab girls" as another sort of therapy... :D

No worries, too many Greek guys here to keep track of :lol:

Guest Me_Habs_Fan

GHC .. Some good ideas there !! Oh and 3 Brought back a memory ..

Back in the 1970's the Canadiens stuck a big guy (A D-Man) in front of the net and it worked. He actually scored .. Twice if I remember correctly. :) His name was Rich Chartraw. Who? :lol:This Guy.

I think Saku would go behind the net and dart back and forth. In other words, look for an open man. At the same time, this creates the threat of a wrap around. We don't have Saku though. :)

Guest Dintrox12

This sounds like a decent option however rather than Komi I would use Lats. He is bigger than hammer and definitely has better hands than komi. or Stewart who is tall but a little to skinny..( this sort of option was used by the Oilers and now the Avs using Ryan Smyth)..

I still say they are not in motion enough and moving it from point to point to open up lanes is something Habs have used all season...

Guest GreekHockeyCoach
GHC .. Some good ideas there !! Oh and 3 Brought back a memory ..

Back in the 1970's the Canadiens stuck a big guy (A D-Man) in front of the net and it worked. He actually scored .. Twice if I remember correctly. :) His name was Rich Chartraw. Who? :lol:This Guy.

I think Saku would go behind the net and dart back and forth. In other words, look for an open man. At the same time, this creates the threat of a wrap around. We don't have Saku though. :)

Thanks MHF. I remember Rich Chartraw really well as I've witnessed all the cups the Habs won in the 70's. I can't recall him being in front of the net though but I'll take your word for it.

Guest FREDDYBEACH HAB

I'm hoping to see some minor changes for tonights game. I'd like to Latendresse out and Stewart in, because Lats needs to see that you crash and bang when you get as little time as he does, very soft out there as a number of other players are even Plecks mentioned himself concerning that matter. I'd like to see Striet moved to forward, Dandenault back on D, Patrice out and O'B in on D or "The Bubble" if he is 100% either one would do.

No point in having Patrice on for his good passing if they are clogging up everything and nullifying him, because he's not tough enough to bang any more. The D needs to hurt the Bruins with hard checks make them pay for clogging it up and when they go down low they need to be looking over their shoulders. They need to have the fear put back in them.

Guest RockMtl

Just for the record - I am not GREEK!! :lol:

Good work GHC and others on our PP analysis. Boston has done a great job in covering the lanes and Kovey!! You have to give them that. This is were the coaching staff have to step in and do thier stuff. If we could find our timing - which has been off (ex: missing the net, passes slightly off, general positioning) - which has served us well all year, we'll get back to the way we know we can play. They did it all year , why stop now. The Bruins have done a great job - we have to admit it - but we are the better team!!

I say - LOOK for something NEW tonight! Look for a new PP pattern - Our Habs know the importance of this game tonight!!

Archived