The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Quebecers Are The Most... Canadian!

darren19

Guest Bobineau
This is a little silly. Of course I'm Canadian, but that doesn't mean I don't have an ethnic makeup from other countries.

The definition of statistic Canada is not very explicit...

Statistics Canada defines ethnic origin as the ethnic or cultural origins of the census respondent’s ancestors. An ancestor is defined as someone from whom a person is descended and is usually more distant than a grandparent.

By that definition, it includes 95% of Canadians but I think people responded on how they peirceved themselfs rather than looking at where their ancestors came from. Even tho Quebecers are the oldest society in Canada, its perception is almost 40% higher than Ontario which is a society that is not that much younger.

The definition of statistic Canada is not very explicit...

Statistics Canada defines ethnic origin as the ethnic or cultural origins of the census respondent’s ancestors. An ancestor is defined as someone from whom a person is descended and is usually more distant than a grandparent.

By that definition, it includes 95% of Canadians but I think people responded on how they peirceved themselfs rather than looking at where their ancestors came from. Even tho Quebecers are the oldest society in Canada, its perception is almost 40% higher than Ontario which is a society that is not that much younger.

That's the thing, all this tells is that Quebecers interpet "ethnic origin" differently.

I consider myself 100% Canadian, but if someone asks me my ethnic origin I'll say exactly 50% Scottish, 25% English, 25% French. Now I don't follow traditions of any of these countries, I don't really consider myself "Scottish" or anything like that, and I don't even know how long its been since my ancestors came over here (my grandparents were all born in Canada). But I have no problem saying this as my "ethnic origin" even though I completely consider myself Canadian, and culturally and everything I really have no connection to my ethnicity.

Guest NothingGreater

Funny, I consider myself more Canadian then Quebecers because i'm Native American, cree to be exact. Interesting.

Guest Bobineau
That's the thing, all this tells is that Quebecers interpet "ethnic origin" differently.

I consider myself 100% Canadian, but if someone asks me my ethnic origin I'll say exactly 50% Scottish, 25% English, 25% French. Now I don't follow traditions of any of these countries, I don't really consider myself "Scottish" or anything like that, and I don't even know how long its been since my ancestors came over here (my grandparents were all born in Canada). But I have no problem saying this as my "ethnic origin" even though I completely consider myself Canadian, and culturally and everything I really have no connection to my ethnicity.

Maybe the question was poorly translated... :lol:

Guest martinm87
Funny, I consider myself more Canadian then Quebecers because i'm Native American, cree to be exact. Interesting.

Funny, I consider myself more Native than Canadian or Quebecois because I'm Native American, Kanien'kehaka to be exact. Interesting.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 1stroundpick

Well here is a topic that I am glad to see because everyone from every walk of life needs to listen up! We are all humans number 1 lets get that straight. Lets stop breaking ourselves up into smaller and smaller groups or communties. Yes I am Canadian, Yes I was born in Quebec, yes I lived in Montreal. Yes I live in Edmonton at the present. I hear & feel so much negativity just about every time I tell someone that I am from Montreal. Great! glad you just judged my from my demographic upbringing. Note to anyone that has never traveled. DO IT & DO IT ASAP. Popele that travel , to me are some of the most open mided poeple I have come in contact with. Experience other cultures, other cities. I know that most canadians have opened their hearts as they are a kind generous loving nation but dont forget to open your midns. There is too much resentment between provinces in this Country. Lets come together for a larger purpose instead of breaking into little pieces.

thanks

Guest Bobineau
I think the aboriginal peoples might have something to say about that. ;)

Were there any highly structured large scale communities before the French settled?

Guest ryan.go.habs
I think the aboriginal peoples might have something to say about that. ;)

The French discovered Canada. They settled around the same time as aboriginals, its just that the French were out numbered.

Guest habs_fan1160

I honestly would have never guessed, because of the sepratism thing. However, good on Quebec, I'm not from Quebec, but I have family there and tons of friends, it's a great place.

Guest GreekHockeyCoach
Are 'highly structured, large-scale communities' the only possible definition of a 'society'?

Not the only definition, but if a highly structured large scale community is broadly distinguished from other groups by mutual interests, participation in characteristic relationships, shared institutions and a common culture, then that's the definition of a "society".

Guest GoHabsGo_CanucksAreChoking
The French discovered Canada. They settled around the same time as aboriginals, its just that the French were out numbered.

and the British. ;)

I honestly would have never guessed, because of the sepratism thing. However, good on Quebec, I'm not from Quebec, but I have family there and tons of friends, it's a great place.

I'm from "the worst place on earth" BC. :lol: I am going to move to Quebec when I'm old enough.

Guest habs_fan1160
and the British. ;)

I'm from "the worst place on earth" BC. :lol: I am going to move to Quebec when I'm old enough.

Pretty sure it was the Aboriginals who were here first.

Not the only definition, but if a highly structured large scale community is broadly distinguished from other groups by mutual interests, participation in characteristic relationships, shared institutions and a common culture, then that's the definition of a "society".

Subtract large-scale and highly structured and the rest applies equally to the early aboriginal communities.

Which is why I disputed the original statement that Quebecers are the oldest society in Canada.

Guest Bobineau
Subtract large-scale and highly structured and the rest applies equally to the early aboriginal communities.

Which is why I disputed the original statement that Quebecers are the oldest society in Canada.

Well a book club can be a society... :P

Even if you subtract large scale and highly structured, native communities didn't share the same culture, economy, language or interests. Some were sedentary living in small villages but many were still nomads. Hurons were probably the most "structured" in eastern Canada but still too small and primitive to be considered a society.

Well a book club can be a society... :P

Comparing aboriginal communities to book clubs is pretty offensive.

Even if you subtract large scale and highly structured, native communities didn't share the same culture, economy, language or interests. Some were sedentary living in small villages but many were still nomads. Hurons were probably the most "structured" in eastern Canada but still too small and primitive to be considered a society.

All this proves is that there were numerous smaller societies (whether sedentary or nomadic) in Canada prior to the arrival of the French and the British. Your original assertion, that Quebecers are the oldest society in Canada, is still invalid.

Guest GoHabsGo_CanucksAreChoking
Pretty sure it was the Aboriginals who were here first.

True, but the French and English settled in Canada or something like that. They pushed the Aboriginals away somewhere.

:unsure:

and I like the Aboriginals, I've gone to a place where you can make their jewelry and stuff with tree bark (and it's run by them) and it's really fun and their culture is really cool. Plus isn't Carey aboriginal?

Guest Bobineau
Comparing aboriginal communities to book clubs is pretty offensive.

All this proves is that there were numerous smaller societies (whether sedentary or nomadic) in Canada prior to the arrival of the French and the British. Your original assertion, that Quebecers are the oldest society in Canada, is still invalid.

I was poiting out that there are different definitions for the word society such as a book club... ;)

Whether or not we consider native communities societies, the root of the current Canadian society came from settlers in the Quebec City-Montreal corridor and along the years, natives became part or dependant of that society. Unless you see two different societies in Canada, the oldest society is from Quebec.

Archived