The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

All Star Game 2009

Guest uzzi

Hi all. I am just curious if anyone can tell me when tickets go on sale for the All Star Game for next year? I live in Sask and would love to take my 2 boys to the big show at the Bell Centre. Haven't found any info anywhere so thought someone here might be in the know. Also assuming they will be sold thru ticketmaster?

On a side note, reading TSN this morning, they say that Montreal is pressing for an outdoor game just 3 days prior to the All Star game, would that be sweet to go to as well. I attended the Heritage Classic in Edmonton and it was AWESOME!!

Thanks for any help

Anyone know of a good hotel thats close to the Bell Centre as well? Thanks again!

• 5 months later...

There has been no information about the All star game that i have seen, i would love to get tickets but I'm not holding my breath, the NHL can be a jerk about these games and Fans dont get the first shot at tickets. I think they should have a lottery system for all fans. or for anyone who has bought tickets to the games this year.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

NEW YORK - San Jose Sharks forward Patrick Marleau and Dallas Stars defenceman Stephane Robidas have been added the NHL Western Conference all-star roster.

Marleau takes the place of injured Red Wings forward Pavel Datsyuk while Robidas is filling in for injured Detroit blue-liner Nicklas Lidstrom.

The all-star festivities kick off later this week in Montreal with the big game set for Sunday.

Robidas is looking forward to making his all-star debut in Montreal. He played his first two seasons with the Canadiens a decade ago.

"To be an all-star anywhere would be great," Robidas said. "But to play in Montreal, that will be something very special."

Meanwhile, Montreal goaltender Carey Price, a starter for the Eastern Conference team, will also play for the sophomores in the YoungStars game. He takes the spot of injured Kings netminder Erik Ersberg.

Dave Bolland of Chicago and David Perron of St. Louis have also been added to the sophomore roster, taking the spots of Boston's Milan Lucic and Washington's Nicklas Backstrom.

Backstrom said he decided he wanted to take a rest rather than play in the game.

"This year I felt like it made more sense for me to give someone else that opportunity and use this time to rest and prepare for the second half of the season with the Washington Capitals," Backstrom said in a statement released by the team. "I can assure Caps fans that I'm not injured."

Rookie goaltender Pekka Rinne of Nashville will also play in Saturday's YoungStars game, filling in for Steve Mason of the Columbus Blue Jackets.

tsn

never thought i'd see robidas in the all star game.

disappointing lidstrom and datsyuk won't be there.

maybe price wants to read the bit about backstrom...

i wasn't saying shouldn't have been voted in, i was implying that maybe he should think twice before participating considering he's not 100% healthy.

Sure, but another way to look at things is that if he is as healthy as is implied then maybe this is the perfect opportunity to shake off some of the rust in a game that means nothing against some of the best shooters in the world. Perfect opportunity to get back into "game shape".

So now that the weekend is over I can say that hockey players are boring as hell. Seriously, with all the potential excitement in a big event like all-star weekend, you'd think the players would go out of their way to open up and just enjoy their time away from competetive hockey. But watching interviews and seeing most of these guys on the ice, I can more greatly appreciate the likes of Alexander Ovechkin. When I think of this weekend I think of Alex Ovechkin, Shane Doan and his daughter on Saturday, Alex Kovalev and Malkin in the all-star game and Chara in the slap-shot contest. The rest of the guys were bland and did nothing to excite the fans. With all the discussion we had about Avery after he was suspended about how the league needs more guys like Avery, I would say the league needs more guys like Ovechkin: Someone who loves the game, someone who loves the fans, someone who respects the game, someone who respects the fans and someone who just loves to have fun without being disrespectful. For all of Crosby's talents, he is not even in the same league as Ovechkin when you consider showmanship. I feel as though these guys have been over-coached in interview etiquette and respect for the game that now they are afraid to say anything being cliches. You know these guys are laughing and having fun together away from the cameras so I don't understand why they can't open up a little for this one weekend only. Feel free to hotdog it for crying out loud. I couldn't keep track of the passes in the all-star game because no one wanted to shoot for fear of looking selfish. I think these teams should hire someone to teach them how to appropriately have fun during events like these or else the NHL all-star weekend will always fall flat on its face.

On a similar note, this is precisely the type of event you need someone like Pierre McGuire doing the play-by-play or colour commentary. I couldn't believe what I was hearing from the announcers during the shootout challange; you'd have thought you were watching golf for all their excitement. I mean, have you ever watched the NBA Dunk Contests? Those guys are stoked and screaming in excitement when they see one of their young stars throw a sick move. We need something more than, "Oh, that was interesting, He tried to lift the puck and throw it in but it hit the goaltender. Blah blah blaahhhhh." Bring a fan, or an 8 year old kid whose never seen anything like this before into the booth or something. Just jazz it up for peets sakes.

i wasn't saying shouldn't have been voted in, i was implying that maybe he should think twice before participating considering he's not 100% healthy.

If he wasn't healthy enough to play one period of shinny then why did he start a proper NHL game just before the weekend? You're really only at risk of reinjuring yourself in these types of events if you don't take of yourself and stretch out properly or you throw some Tim Thomas like saves (Did you see some of his stretch saves? I bet his coaches were watching in agony).

So now that the weekend is over I can say that hockey players are boring as hell. Seriously, with all the potential excitement in a big event like all-star weekend, you'd think the players would go out of their way to open up and just enjoy their time away from competetive hockey. But watching interviews and seeing most of these guys on the ice, I can more greatly appreciate the likes of Alexander Ovechkin. When I think of this weekend I think of Alex Ovechkin, Shane Doan and his daughter on Saturday, Alex Kovalev and Malkin in the all-star game and Chara in the slap-shot contest. The rest of the guys were bland and did nothing to excite the fans. With all the discussion we had about Avery after he was suspended about how the league needs more guys like Avery, I would say the league needs more guys like Ovechkin: Someone who loves the game, someone who loves the fans, someone who respects the game, someone who respects the fans and someone who just loves to have fun without being disrespectful. For all of Crosby's talents, he is not even in the same league as Ovechkin when you consider showmanship. I feel as though these guys have been over-coached in interview etiquette and respect for the game that now they are afraid to say anything being cliches. You know these guys are laughing and having fun together away from the cameras so I don't understand why they can't open up a little for this one weekend only. Feel free to hotdog it for crying out loud. I couldn't keep track of the passes in the all-star game because no one wanted to shoot for fear of looking selfish. I think these teams should hire someone to teach them how to appropriately have fun during events like these or else the NHL all-star weekend will always fall flat on its face.

On a similar note, this is precisely the type of event you need someone like Pierre McGuire doing the play-by-play or colour commentary. I couldn't believe what I was hearing from the announcers during the shootout challange; you'd have thought you were watching golf for all their excitement. I mean, have you ever watched the NBA Dunk Contests? Those guys are stoked and screaming in excitement when they see one of their young stars throw a sick move. We need something more than, "Oh, that was interesting, He tried to lift the puck and throw it in but it hit the goaltender. Blah blah blaahhhhh." Bring a fan, or an 8 year old kid whose never seen anything like this before into the booth or something. Just jazz it up for peets sakes.

Martin St-Louis and Tim Thomas brought their A game too.

The dunk contest example is by far the worst example possible, since it was a bore fest for nearly 15 years, just look back at the past champion for the last 20 years from 1989 till today, theres only 5 worthy champion really, Dominique Wilkins in 1990, Kobe Bryant in 1997, Vince Carter in 2000, the back to back of Jason Richardson and Dwight Howard last year.

The NBA got the same problem as the NHL, the big stars don't want to participate in these events, when did you see LeBron James in a dunk contest? Why did Kobe and Vince Carter only participated once?

Sure, but another way to look at things is that if he is as healthy as is implied then maybe this is the perfect opportunity to shake off some of the rust in a game that means nothing against some of the best shooters in the world. Perfect opportunity to get back into "game shape".

as it turns out that's exactly what happened. he took it easy, still made some saves and didn't participate in the skills. smart move imho and i was happy, not nervous, to see him out there.

If he wasn't healthy enough to play one period of shinny then why did he start a proper NHL game just before the weekend? You're really only at risk of reinjuring yourself in these types of events if you don't take of yourself and stretch out properly or you throw some Tim Thomas like saves (Did you see some of his stretch saves? I bet his coaches were watching in agony).

:lol: i did see them and bruins management didn't come to mind. that ridiculous save late in the game just became that much more entertaining thinking about everyone on the bench and all their fans holding their breath...

I went to Montreal thursday until Saturday morning. Thats when you see these guys having fun and joking around. I got to be around Thornton after his TSN interview. He was joking around with us and signing autographs. Same goes for the Hall of Fame players that were around. Pat Lafontaine and Henri Richard went out of their way to sign autographs and have fun with us fans near the NHL Netwrok area. Other current players were just another person in the crowd. Some of them bringing their kids into public areas just like any other parent would. Bob Gainey was leaving the Bell Center and my friend and I got his autograph. Gainey asked my friend if he was cold, we just had jersey's on over long sleeved shirts, and Gainey jokingly said we should have jackets on. Don't tell me these players don't know how to have fun. I wish I had time and was not tired becasue I heard plenty of people got to have fun with the players in hotel bars all over Montreal throughout the weekend. I will not mention the other area people said they had fun with some of the players in Montreal, but I think any guy here knows what I'm talking about.

Archived