The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Goalie Equipment Being Downsized?

Guest js2

Guest kovalev47

Well they have to do something though. Goalies just play too well these days. 37 goalies in the NHL have save percentages of above .900. Goalie equipment was smaller in the 1980s as well. As long as goalies can still be protected, I don't see any problems in reducing the size of goalie equipment. if it leads to increased goal scoring.

Guest King-Carey-31
Apparently in the NHL's eyes, there's no such thing as an exciting 1-0 game.

Low scoring, evenly matched games are the best games.....***** do the new generation want? lets make it 7 goals for one!

Guest GoHabsGo_CanucksAreChoking

Who decides this change?

But I'm gonna post this picture anyways

lolbettmancq3.png

They're also thinking of making the nets bigger?

THIS IS NOT SOCCER! DANG!

Guest GoHabsGo_CanucksAreChoking

Oh, and I've got a great idea to increase scoring!

Force all goaltenders to play like Raysoft, and we'll be done with the whole problem!

Guest privateserver
Oh, and I've got a great idea to increase scoring!

Force all goaltenders to play like Raysoft, and we'll be done with the whole problem!

Hehe I think Gerry Bettman should play goalie for a game against Crosby, Heatley, Ovechkin VS Komisarek and Pronger + Gerry bettman.

Its not my fault that in mighet il be using 36 by 11 its that good goalies need big strong/long legs to be a butterfly goalie like Carey Price, Roberto Loungo, Patrick Roy.

Hehe I think Gerry Bettman should play goalie for a game against Crosby, Heatley, Ovechkin VS Komisarek and Pronger + Gerry bettman.

Its not my fault that in mighet il be using 36 by 11 its that good goalies need big strong/long legs to be a butterfly goalie like Carey Price, Roberto Loungo, Patrick Roy.

There's an idea to knock some sense into some of the decision makers at the NHL level:

Dress them in that smaller goalie gear and let guys like Pronger, Souray, Chara and company take slap shots from the slot at them! That might make them realize who stupid they're getting!

Who cares how many goals there are? 9-7 games are usually some of the worst game around. Look at how popular the All Star Game is.

Improving speed, end to end action, passing, scoring chances, etc. all makes a game more exciting. Whether or not those lead to more pucks going in the net or not isn't the point. Score doesn't make a game exciting, what happens between the goals does.

Guest mtl1010
Who cares how many goals there are? 9-7 games are usually some of the worst game around. Look at how popular the All Star Game is.

Improving speed, end to end action, passing, scoring chances, etc. all makes a game more exciting. Whether or not those lead to more pucks going in the net or not isn't the point. Score doesn't make a game exciting, what happens between the goals does.

agree 100%. When I watch a game, the most exciting parts are what's happening everywhere on the ice, not just the ice around the goals. Sure, a goal brings the crowd to their seats but so does a great save, a big hit, seeing a player work their hardest out their, the scoring chances, the end of the game when the fans are about to see their favourite team win. The goalie pads are perfectly okay right now and changing them would definately not make anything more exciting.

There's only one logical way to make the product on the ice more exciting, and that's contraction... but that's not going to happen anytime soon, unfortunately. Getting rid of 6 teams would be the equivalent of sending the fourth line and third pairing of defensemen on each team to the AHL, making the third line the fourth line, and gaining a second line caliber-type on each team. More skills equals better plays.

There's only one logical way to make the product on the ice more exciting, and that's contraction... but that's not going to happen anytime soon, unfortunately. Getting rid of 6 teams would be the equivalent of sending the fourth line and third pairing of defensemen on each team to the AHL, making the third line the fourth line, and gaining a second line caliber-type on each team. More skills equals better plays.

I think there are other small changes that probably could improve the product on the ice, but you're 100% right that the best way to do this would be contraction. However, this isn't happening, in fact Bill Daly accidentally nearly confirmed that they will be expanding by giving KC and Vegas teams in the near future.

The other way to offset more teams is more talent. As more countries, particularily the USA and those in Europe, increase hockey participation, it follows that they would produce more talent, and more talent would offset the high number of teams.

I think there are other small changes that probably could improve the product on the ice, but you're 100% right that the best way to do this would be contraction. However, this isn't happening, in fact Bill Daly accidentally nearly confirmed that they will be expanding by giving KC and Vegas teams in the near future.

I agree that it won't happen. As for the new teams, I have a feeling that it would be by re-location more than brand new franchises... at least I'm hoping.

Guest Keith

It's not the action they're doing, but rather how they are going about doing it.

The NHL should just cut the equipment size down ever so marginally every year so that they can see what's the best setting.

I like low scoring games, but I don't mind high scoring ones either. So great goaltending can still have shut outs, but an occasional shootout(I'm not talking about taking penalty shots) is welcome too.

Goalies have became bigger and better, and the safety argument can be best summed up by Brian Burke, something along the lines of "If a slim Kevlar vest can protect you, you wear that".

It just needs to be cut down very gradually.

I agree that it won't happen. As for the new teams, I have a feeling that it would be by re-location more than brand new franchises... at least I'm hoping.

You'd think so, but teams don't seem to want to relocate, and on Prime Time Sports when they asked Bill Daly about rumours that Vegas and KC would get teams through expansion, he gave a "no answer" type response, but the way he said it made me (and the hosts) really think that the league will be 32 teams sooner rather than later. If for no other reason than the nice expansion fee that goes straight to current owners pockets.

Guest thefooligan5
It's not the action they're doing, but rather how they are going about doing it.

The NHL should just cut the equipment size down ever so marginally every year so that they can see what's the best setting.

I like low scoring games, but I don't mind high scoring ones either. So great goaltending can still have shut outs, but an occasional shootout(I'm not talking about taking penalty shots) is welcome too.

Goalies have became bigger and better, and the safety argument can be best summed up by Brian Burke, something along the lines of "If a slim Kevlar vest can protect you, you wear that".

It just needs to be cut down very gradually.

and what brian burke doesn't know is that although kevlar may be bullet proof, you're still likely to end up with broken ribs as a result of the force.

I think it is ridiculous that they are not only trying to downsize equipment but also enlarge nets. Part of what makes hockey wonderful is the anticipation of a goal. Hockey, in this regard, is similar to soccer yet unlike soccer, there is high-paced action resulting in great saves, bone-crushing checks and the occasional fight in between goals. In any sport in which you have a player who tends the net full-time you can only naturally expect the outcome to be low. This isn't football or basketball in which you only need to get a shot at the goal in order to score, one needs to be able to beat a rather large human being in the process and that in and of itself is exciting.

Guest hatethoseleafs

Putting Bettman in net with shrunken equipment wouldnt do any good. Even the smaller size pads would cover above his head. :lol::lol::lol:

I was just coming on here to post a similar response. Remove 4- 6 teams and divide the players up amongst the other teams. Get rid of a team like the Panthers and put Jokinen on a team like Toronto (yes I said it) and the Leafs are going to move up the standings. Take someone like Jason Arnott and drop him on an Islanders team and you will see their Goals for go up .

• 1 month later...

Archived