The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Fears For The Playoffs

KelleighKohl

Guest KelleighKohl

[/color] I've seen quite a few of my teams wins of the Stanley Cup, including those before the first expansion, and those with Ken Dryden ;) and Patrick Roy. I know they can win this cup and the momentum is there, plus the skill and the discipline. Well done Habs, and a big "Oh Yeah" to Bob Gainey and the staff!

If we don't win the cup I hope it's not for either of these reasons

1: Noone wants our team to be "injured out".

2. I don't want to be "officiated" out. It's darn time someone looked at the officiating this year and give the teams the right to have a "bad" call reviewed immediately. If the Officials are doing their jobs, they have nothing to fear from this. If they aren't, take it up with your union. If the Refs officiate our habs out, I can guarantee, the riot will probably be as far east as I am.

Please share your opinions on my fears, and help me overcome them. :blink:

Wake up and smell the coffee..I've seen some bad games due to bad officiating this season, but as hard as they tried, they couldn't take down OUR Habs.

Bon Chance mon Habs. J'taime vous. 16 pour 25, tout pour une. :D

[/color] I've seen quite a few of my teams wins of the Stanley Cup, including those before the first expansion, and those with Ken Dryden ;) and Patrick Roy. I know they can win this cup and the momentum is there, plus the skill and the discipline. Well done Habs, and a big "Oh Yeah" to Bob Gainey and the staff!

If we don't win the cup I hope it's not for either of these reasons

1: Noone wants our team to be "injured out".

2. I don't want to be "officiated" out. It's darn time someone looked at the officiating this year and give the teams the right to have a "bad" call reviewed immediately. If the Officials are doing their jobs, they have nothing to fear from this. If they aren't, take it up with your union. If the Refs officiate our habs out, I can guarantee, the riot will probably be as far east as I am.

Please share your opinions on my fears, and help me overcome them. :blink:

Wake up and smell the coffee..I've seen some bad games due to bad officiating this season, but as hard as they tried, they couldn't take down OUR Habs.

Bon Chance mon Habs. J'taime vous. 16 pour 25, tout pour une. :D

I've posted my fears in the following thread. http://forum.canadiens.com/index.php?showtopic=19357

Guest Dintrox12

I believe in the Habs.

I think we have 7 count them 7 players with 50 + points . I do not think an injury will take us out.

I can not comment on officiating just to say.. Over the last 1/4 of the season our PK has improved (15-16th now). Our PP is still killer at #1...

I would take this team against any team in the East in a heart beat. We can handle 'em all..

104 pts... 1st in the East.. and still people will say we won't can't etc...

But I believe in this team in the coaching staff and above all our GM...

The ghosts have finally migrated from the Forum to centre de Bell.. We will!!!!!

Guest Onzeee

We have owned the Bruins basically since 2002, and the tides have to turn sooner rather than later. Yes we swept them this year but in those games they physically beat us down in the corners and in a 7 game playoff series that will work to their advantage.

the last game of the season against them they played with us all game and we needed a shootout to win it, so they know they are close to beating us and they have nothing to loose.... eerily similar situation to 2002 when we knocked them out in the 1-8 matchup.

we need to be ready for huge heartbreak in this series because we have a fight on our hands

Guest 1stroundpick

My biggest fear is # 1. Injuries . I still have bad memories of Carolina going to the cup after beating us up with some cheap shots and taking the wind from our sails. # the Ref situation as you have posted. I have a new topic on who you would like to ref the first round. Comment if you would like.

Guest LarryRobinson
Biggest fear....

we take bruins too easily and lose in opening round....

I doubt it will happen but that is my biggest fear!

Easily this is the biggest concern. Why?

Im not saying the boys cant handle the pressure and the media, BUT, we are a #1 seed who is undefeated against the B's this year. Even a split at home to start the serious will ratchet up the pressue alot on the Habs. I lived in Boston during the upset in 2002, where we were the 8th seed. Bruin's fans will want revenge, and games 3 and 4 will not be easy, especially if we split in MTL.

I can see it all snowballing in a very bad direction. Just sayin....thats my biggest fear. An injury a la koivu's eye against the Canes would be equally bad.

Guest hatethoseleafs

Of course injuries are always a concern but unless its to a key guy in a key position such as goaltending,,,,then i think we have the depth to overcome,, unlike previous playoff runs.

Officiating should ( and i say this cautiously) be better in the playoffs, as the NHL will only send their most competent forward.The guys that have made bad calls and missed calls all year will be golfing right next to the Leafs.

I doubt our coaching staff will underestimate any opponent we face. There's always the argument that we have a young inexperienced playoff team but even that argument has some holes. Our kids are better prepared then other teams kids, thanks largely to our Calder Cup win last year. They know what it takes to win, and from what i saw last season,,,,the word QUIT is not an option.

We just completed a hugely successfull season, and i doubt very much that we will roll over easily for any team. If we do go down, i am confident that the boys will have left it all on the ice. ;)

Guest Innis_Mor

Fear that the Fans get too complacent :D :

from Canadiens.com (results to this point):

How do you expect the Canadiens' first round match-up with the Bruins to go?

Montreal in 4 or 5: 54.91%

Montreal in 6 or 7: 25.43%

Boston in 4 or 5: 7.51%

Boston in 6 or 7: 12.14%

Total Votes:

No worries, though, because the Habs coaches and players won't get complacent.

Good move by a very good coach. After the game Saturday against the Leafs, Carbo asked the Hab players to really reflect and appreciate what they had achieved over the season. In between the lines, they are to read, "now don't go and waste all that great effort by not showing up in the play-offs".

The Hab players will "be there".

Guest CanadianMike

biggest fear?

cameraman zooms into Frankeinstein (Chara) too often during series. :P

I am not scared. Habs are fast..Habs are strong. Habs will win in 5.

Guest 1337FREAK

My biggest fear is the habs taking the bruins lightly, we have had our way with them in the season, but we've seen it in 01-02 and 02-03, upsets do happen...Just the shoes on the other foot this time.

Guest montreal_myk

No fears. We've done so well and the future looks amazing for this team. Anywyas, as for the officiating, it's nothing to fear, they've frustrated me all season long and since last year. the nhl sadly has the most inconsistent officaiting of all major sports. I know it's the fastest game, but whatever... i think only soccer refs might be just as inconsistent and wrong. so i've just grown to accept it and not be surprised anymore. but you are right, refs can and will come into play.

But latendresse has to stop throwing up his arms everytime he puts a stick close to any player. It's getting annoying, the refs notice the guiltiness, and he's getting caught all the time.

LES CANADIENS SONT FINALEMENT LAAAAAAAA

Guest concreteveins
My biggest fear is the habs taking the bruins lightly, we have had our way with them in the season, but we've seen it in 01-02 and 02-03, upsets do happen...Just the shoes on the other foot this time.

They wont take the Bruins lightly. They know this and all the vetrans will be reinforcing that its a new season...blah blah blah.

The Habs are going to destroy the Bruins at home on the road and all series. To quick.

Just remember the mouse always trumps the elephant.

Guest rob2h
Easily this is the biggest concern. Why?

Im not saying the boys cant handle the pressure and the media, BUT, we are a #1 seed who is undefeated against the B's this year. Even a split at home to start the serious will ratchet up the pressue alot on the Habs. I lived in Boston during the upset in 2002, where we were the 8th seed. Bruin's fans will want revenge, and games 3 and 4 will not be easy, especially if we split in MTL.

I can see it all snowballing in a very bad direction. Just sayin....thats my biggest fear. An injury a la koivu's eye against the Canes would be equally bad.

I have a feeling our undefeated streak is coming to an end against the Bruins.I 'll say we still take them out but it won't be easy.I will not be at all surprised if it takes 7 games but my prediction is still habs win in 5 games.

My fear is making the finals and not winning the cup.If the habs make it they need to finish it off I know they can do it.I hope they win they last game of this seasons playoffs and hoist the cup on home ice.I think we all know they have what it takes to accomplish this.

Guest AwayJersey

Without the aspect of Fear...there would be no reason to be careful

There will always be bad calls, you can't win hockey games worrying about it.

This is a solid team, and they're just trying to earn the respect from previous Montreal Stanley Cup Winners.

they definitely have what it takes to be Champions!

Guest habs_fan1160

I have a few fears going into the playoffs this season.

1. Taking the Bruins too lightly especially with Bergeron back.

2. Taking an early exit, being upset by some other team.

3. Injuries, injuries, injuries.

4. Oh, I think that's it for now....

Guest Habsology

We haven't seen the Habs play without Kovalev. So.....my biggest fear is an injury to Kovalev. If he goes, we go...Sad but true:(

Guest captainjack22

my biggest fears is we loose out to the bruins, everyone is saying habs will have no problem with the bruins, habs in four or five but we have to watch it, bruins will be hungry and come out flying, now that Bergeron is back they will be more skilled, savard will be playing also, so we cant be to over confident, my other fear is koivu is out, koivu is a playoff performer, last time we met these guys in the playoffs koivu and kovy killed them, then vs carolina a couple years ago with us up 2-0 in the series and I think we were leading in game 3 when koivu went down and all of a sudden bing bang boom we loose the series 4-2, so say what you want about koivu this season but id feel alot better with him the line up to start this series but it doesnt look like he can go. Either way I have faith in my team and I know we can do it as long as we play like we did in the last few weeks of the season

Go Habs GO!!

Guest old-time Habs fan

Fear not!

the Force is with our lot,

where angels fear to tred;

and with the Price, we surely bought,

we'll put the Bruins to bed!

GO HABS GO!

Guest Numerodooze
If I were a Habs fan, my biggest fear would be overconfidence. If you take the Big Bad B's too lightly, they'll come back to bite you. ;)

Guest hablover
Fear not!

the Force is with our lot,

where angels fear to tred;

and with the Price, we surely bought,

we'll put the Bruins to bed!

GO HABS GO!

I haven't seen you on here in a while man!

Nice to have you back spitting some rhymes again....

no one does it like you!

A return to Alcatraz?

For those of you who were around in 1986, I hope this works again

MONTREAL - The great chemistry that exists on this year’s squad is about to be put to the ultimate test both on and off the ice. On the brink of being quarantined together during their postseason run, the Canadiens will have no choice but to get know each other a whole lot better.

On the eve of kicking off their playoff series against the Bruins on Thursday night at the Bell Centre, head coach Guy Carbonneau has decided to gather his players under the same roof at a downtown Montreal hotel.

This isn’t the first time the Habs have tried such a move. Carbonneau and Bob Gainey experienced it first-hand as players in the spring of 1986 when head coach Jean Perron and GM Serge Savard whisked the Habs away to a hotel hidden somewhere on the South Shore of Montreal throughout the entire postseason. While the move paid off for the Habs as they raised the Stanley Cup that spring, Carbonneau and his fellow teammates/prisoners had nonetheless aptly dubbed the remote hotel “Alcatraz.”

“Whenever we do something like this, it always geared toward making our players even tighter and more unified as a group,” explained Carbonneau. “In 1986, there were far fewer distractions for us as players, but being isolated like that really worked for us. But things were different in 1993 and we won, and in Dallas in 1999 we all stayed in our own homes and still won as well.”

Avoiding playoff fever once it hits Montreal is no easy task. If TV networks aren’t overloaded with coverage, then local papers are churning out page after page of postseason hype. Simply put, the playoffs are everywhere.

“I have a 45-minute commute to the Bell Centre each morning and people must say hello to me about 150 times each day by honking their horns,” added Carbonneau. “Our fans are obviously very excited and everyone’s phones are ringing non-stop. Even neighbors are getting in on it. A bit of peace and quiet at the hotel to rest will only help our preparations.”

Mike Komisarek not only agrees with his coach, but is even psyched about being pampered hotel-style during the posteason.

"I think it will help us focus better and who doesn't like sleeping in a nice hotel room, anyways?" asked Komisarek with a smile. "Getting to sleep in a nice clean room with a made bed is pretty rare for me."

Archived