• Montreal in 5
    • Montreal in 6
    • Montreal in 7
    • Boston in 4
    • Boston in 5
    • Boston in 6
    • Boston in 7

Guest overlords
Like was pointed out Ovechkin is being shut down pretty good and I think we all agree he is a better player then Kovy. This team has done well yes because Kovy has had a great season, but also because this team has gotten contributions from so many different players. This is continuing to be true in the playoffs. I think Kovy is on pace for his normal playoff production which is just under a point per game. Perhaps against at team that doesn't play such tight defense he will pick up more points.

yep, good points and i agree. but we can't keep relying on kostopoulos and brisebois to be our heavy hitters, we WILL need our scorers to start scoring eventually. im not expecting a cup this year, 3rd round is fine with me. But if we really wanna go somewhere, kovalev has to find a way around whoever is trying to shut him down, he has the skill to do it, he just needs to do it.

Guest AlexK
yep, good points and i agree. but we can't keep relying on kostopoulos and brisebois to be our heavy hitters, we WILL need our scorers to start scoring eventually. im not expecting a cup this year, 3rd round is fine with me. But if we really wanna go somewhere, kovalev has to find a way around whoever is trying to shut him down, he has the skill to do it, he just needs to do it.

Eh I don't know if I agree with that. Skill is only good when you have time and space. Hes done some good things here and there offensively on the rare occasion that he has time to make a player before someone is on top of him or in front of him to block his shot. I do believe he might be able to take it to another level, but I'm not certain. Most of the time when you win in the playoffs it's when you get contributions from all your lines. If you rely on the one line or one guy then you wont go far generally.

The guy is an all-star and IMO untouchable for any negative comments. The Habs would be nothing without him, literally. He is the onyl true capable impact fprward on our team and every other team in the league knows this - in playoffs it is even harder.

I can't disagree more with that comment. Because a player is cataloged by some as an impact player, he gets no pressure to perform? But yet, we'll pound on Brisebois, Ryder, Streit and company, players with a lot less talent? :blink: For whatever reason, it just doesn't add up...

I had posted this in the Carey Price thread, but it belongs here more than there. After the first four games of this series, there are players that have impressed, others... well, not so much.

Price, Tommy K, Smoke, Breezer and Hammer are all having a great series.

Kovalev, Markov, Gorges, Begin, Andrei Kostitsyn, Higgins and Lapierre have been hit and miss. They all can give a bit more.

Streit, Plekanec, Sergei Kostitsyn, Latendresse, Ryder and Dandenault are struggling. I won't include Komisarek as he's obviously not back at 100% from his injury.

My two cents.

I almost agree 100% although I would throw Dandenault in the middle group. I thought he's been alright.

Guest AlexK

I still don't understand how you can look at Sergei Kostitsyn as one of our least effective players. Hes been very good up until this game. He hits, goes to the net, and setups up his linemates. As for scoring contributions from to players we have Sergei K 2 goals, Andrei K 1 goal 1 assist, and Kovalev 1 goal 2 assists.

Guest fansince1975
Like was pointed out Ovechkin is being shut down pretty good and I think we all agree he is a better player then Kovy. This team has done well yes because Kovy has had a great season, but also because this team has gotten contributions from so many different players. This is continuing to be true in the playoffs. I think Kovy is on pace for his normal playoff production which is just under a point per game. Perhaps against at team that doesn't play such tight defense he will pick up more points.

Very good comparison. I don't think anyone thought the league MVP would have had such a tough go over the past few games. Balanced attack with the return of Koivu should help Kovalev. Which is good news for our offensive type of players.

Guest LarryRobinson
Eh I don't know if I agree with that. Skill is only good when you have time and space. Hes done some good things here and there offensively on the rare occasion that he has time to make a player before someone is on top of him or in front of him to block his shot. I do believe he might be able to take it to another level, but I'm not certain. Most of the time when you win in the playoffs it's when you get contributions from all your lines. If you rely on the one line or one guy then you wont go far generally.

I agree with you completely, and I wonder whether the Habs relative absence from the playoffs over the last decade has made the fanbase forget what playoff hockey is all about. I think of names like Claude Lemieux, Chris Draper, and Mike Keane when I think of playoff hockey. Tonight's game was a perfect example of why a sniper like Kovy is limited in the playoffs, the ice space is smaller, checking is much much tighter....the playoffs are about gritty goals, not sniper shots. Kovy will get this goals and he's doing just fine, he's requiring the B's to focus largely on his line, this has a trickle down effect for the rest of the team. Its no accident that Smoke and Kosto are scoring goals, no accident at all.

I agree with you guys who say that play off hockey is different from the regular season, this series against Boston is showing that and is a perfect example. Its all about tight checking, physical play, hard work all game long, every line has to click, and most importantly, goaltending must be great.

If we keep this play up, I think we will finish them off thursday. That win yesterday was a big boost for us, but a backbreaker for Boston.

GO HABS GO!!!

I had posted this in the Carey Price thread, but it belongs here more than there. After the first four games of this series, there are players that have impressed, others... well, not so much.

Price, Tommy K, Smoke, Breezer and Hammer are all having a great series.

Kovalev, Markov, Gorges, Begin, Andrei Kostitsyn, Higgins and Lapierre have been hit and miss. They all can give a bit more.

Streit, Plekanec, Sergei Kostitsyn, Latendresse, Ryder and Dandenault are struggling. I won't include Komisarek as he's obviously not back at 100% from his injury.

My two cents.

I was thinking earlier that our best players were all the above in bold except I had Begin in there as well. Can't argue with this list JL. The more I think of it now, Hamrlik and Brisebois have been our best defenceman as well.

Now if we could get some more of the guys in the middle list to step it up then we would be a true threat.

I would however change Sergei and and Higgins positions on the list. Higgins IMHO has been struggling alot this series.

Guest captainjack22

What a game, Price played great but I wouldnt say he totally won the game for us, we did shut them down in the 3rd, but all the praise in the world to Price, awesome game. I never thought we could play that physical, but we went hit fot hit with the B's which is totally awesome. What a shot by breezer, I didnt even know it went in until I saw the fans at the game jumping up from their seats.(neither did Bob Cole). Hopefully the fans can get the boys pumped up in game 5 and we can get our offense goin, but hey, 1-0 is good enough for me, what a game. Couple things Id like to see in game 5 is Latendresse in the pressbox, dont know how he makes the cut over Ryder, also if Carbo is gonna switch up the lines then put Kovy with Higgins and S. Kost. or something like that, I like Smoke, Kostop and Begin together, KOvy doesn't fit in the mix well, and finally I would like to see komi pound Lucic, if we got the game in the bag then I say they should just go at it.

If koivu comes back soon then I say we switch up the lines a lil':

Kovy-Koivu-Higgins(or ryder)

S.Kost-Pleks-A.Kost

Dandy-Lapieere-Ryder(or Higgins)

Begin-Smokes-Kostop

Markov-Komi

Hammer-O'Byrne(or Breezer)

Boullion-Georges

PRICE!!!!!

I also wonder what Higgins -Pleks- A.Kost would be like for us, they were our best line the last 10-12 games of the season last year

I was thinking earlier that our best players were all the above in bold except I had Begin in there as well. Can't argue with this list JL. The more I think of it now, Hamrlik and Brisebois have been our best defenceman as well.

Now if we could get some more of the guys in the middle list to step it up then we would be a true threat.

I would however change Sergei and and Higgins positions on the list. Higgins IMHO has been struggling alot this series.

The reason why I put Higgins in the middle list is mostly due to the fact that he's had to give up his left wing position and is doing a decent job at center (aside from the faceoff circle). I would just like to see the points on the board in his case.

Guest Habs_101

I know we shouldn't be banking on this series being over now. But I think with a 3-1 lead its safe to say we should take it now, that being the case, I think we should completely revamp things for next game, try to get something going so that we can get some momentum for next series. I would like to try this:

Kostitsyn - Plekanec - Kovalev

Higgins - Grabovski - Kostitsyn

Streit - Lapierre - Stewart

Begin - Smolinski - Kostopolous

Markov - Komi

Hammer - Brisbois

Gorges - O Byrne

PRICE!!!!!!!!!!

Anyways, i think that third line could give the B's fits, Streit is there to be a defensive help and Lapierre and Stewart will get under skin and hit. Stewart will drop them too as he showed us all. Grabs, although a liability in the faceoff circle really gives us another option for some sort of offense, atleast when Koivu is out.

Anyways any comments? Think this would work. Also sitting Latendresse and Ryder would send a wake up call to them.

Guest eukinfindme

In playoff hockey, the impact player (Kovy) is smothered so much it opens ice for other lines/players to shine (a la 3rd line).

If we are not scoring, the blame lies squarely on every "other" player. Not KOVY - he is doing his fricking job, and he is doing it very well.

WHat the hell do you guys expect? for him to start deking the entire Bruins squad end-to-end? Might happen if it was 1983, but in todays hockey there is no room to do anything, and STILL - KOVY dominates puck control.

The onyl knock (a slight bump) I would give him is he is trying too much on PP to be fancy, and as such he has made some iffy passes.

and finally I would like to see komi pound Lucic, if we got the game in the bag then I say they should just go at it.

Please not our #2 defenseman. I mean sure, he's probably most capable of beating up Lucic, but as we've seen time and again, injuries happen in fights & the last thing we want to see is losing Komi with a broken hand or a twisted knee or something!

In playoff hockey, the impact player (Kovy) is smothered so much it opens ice for other lines/players to shine (a la 3rd line).

If we are not scoring, the blame lies squarely on every "other" player. Not KOVY - he is doing his fricking job, and he is doing it very well.

WHat the hell do you guys expect? for him to start deking the entire Bruins squad end-to-end? Might happen if it was 1983, but in todays hockey there is no room to do anything, and STILL - KOVY dominates puck control.

The onyl knock (a slight bump) I would give him is he is trying too much on PP to be fancy, and as such he has made some iffy passes.

If you are a true impact player, you will find a way to play through the extra coverage. It comes with the territory. Why do you think the Senators are facing elimination? While Malkin and Crosby have been dynamite for Pittsburgh, Spezza and Heatley have gone MIA. In the crunch, your best players have to elevate their game, regardless of the pressure, the matchups, and the coverage.

Now, I'm not saying Kovy has been MIA. He's been decent on the whole, and very good at certain times. But he is going to have to find another gear if we want to go deep into the playoffs. Nobody is asking for him to deke a whole team on his own. What we do need from him is on-ice leadership. We need him to grind his way to the front of the net and score a game-winning goal while two Bruins are cross-checking and slashing him. We need him to step up his game when the chips are down. OT in game two was one great instance of Kovy doing just -- willing his way to score the game-winner. But he has to do more of that.

He's far and away the best forward on our team, and it's up to him. Yes, the supporting cast has to do their part as well. But Kovy can't sit around waiting for the kids to lead the way. He has to lead the way for them.

Please not our #2 defenseman. I mean sure, he's probably most capable of beating up Lucic, but as we've seen time and again, injuries happen in fights & the last thing we want to see is losing Komi with a broken hand or a twisted knee or something!

Agreed. We're up 3-1 in the series and have zero need to get engaged like this. Instead of exposing one of our top defenseman to potential injury, how about we close out the series at home instead? :)

Guest GreekHockeyCoach
I agree with you completely, and I wonder whether the Habs relative absence from the playoffs over the last decade has made the fanbase forget what playoff hockey is all about. I think of names like Claude Lemieux, Chris Draper, and Mike Keane when I think of playoff hockey. Tonight's game was a perfect example of why a sniper like Kovy is limited in the playoffs, the ice space is smaller, checking is much much tighter....the playoffs are about gritty goals, not sniper shots. Kovy will get this goals and he's doing just fine, he's requiring the B's to focus largely on his line, this has a trickle down effect for the rest of the team. Its no accident that Smoke and Kosto are scoring goals, no accident at all.
You hit the nail perfectly on the head Larry. That's what people fail to realize. Playoff hockey is alot different than the regular season.
That idiot Lucic sure looked funny when he missed a check and kissed the boards last night. What a dork.
Well, I would love to have that "idiot" on my team any day.

Guest olddude

I expect the Habs will have more offense in game 5. Carbo will be able to get the lineup matches he wants, which should give our top line more room to move. Not to mention the fans at the Bell Center, I've seen quite a few games in these playoffs and I don't think any crowd matches Montreals.

Guest scottyisback44
I know we shouldn't be banking on this series being over now. But I think with a 3-1 lead its safe to say we should take it now, that being the case, I think we should completely revamp things for next game, try to get something going so that we can get some momentum for next series. I would like to try this:

Markov - Komi

Hammer - Brisbois

Gorges - O Byrne

PRICE!!!!!!!!!!

Anyways, i think that third line could give the B's fits, Streit is there to be a defensive help and Lapierre and Stewart will get under skin and hit. Stewart will drop them too as he showed us all. Grabs, although a liability in the faceoff circle really gives us another option for some sort of offense, atleast when Koivu is out.

Anyways any comments? Think this would work. Also sitting Latendresse and Ryder would send a wake up call to them.

I like this lineup. This qwould throw a curveball at the Booins and give a couple of the younger guys a little taste of playoff hockey. Lats should be sitting. He is almost nonexixtent out there. Almost like he played all year. He should have spent a few weeks in Hamilton. He has the potential to be a major power forward but seems to cough the puck up with blind passes to absolutly no one.

Guest captainjack22

Markov - Komi

Hammer - Brisbois

Gorges - O Byrne

PRICE!!!!!!!!!!

Latendresse I totally agree on sitting him, I dont know maybe Its just me but he is totally useless most of the times. Ryder i dont agree on sitting him, we have to give this guy oppurtunities, and no Carbo doesnt right now. Ryder played pretty good the first three gAMES THEN GETS SCRATHED IN FAVOUR OF LATENDRESSE, I dont get what people see in this guy, Ryder -lapierre-Dandy would be a good 3rd line I think, Ryder plays hard and gets the shaft, I dont get it

I dont like the grabovski idea either, he would get killed out there, there been a few games this year were he damn near had his head taken off.

I like Stewart though, too bad we couldn't find a way to stick him in the line up, maybe with dandy and lapierre an move ryder back up on one of the 2 top lines. I say we tweak our top 2 lines alil' also, maybe higgins with Pleks and A Kost, then S KOst kovy and ryder, especially if Koivu comes back soon, we should try somethin different

Guest Innis_Mor
That idiot Lucic sure looked funny when he missed a check and kissed the boards last night. What a dork.
:lol: and checking his teeth on the bench with Savard (who didn't seem the slightest interested). :D

Pretty impressed with both those players these play-offs. Especially Savard. He reminds me some of Gretz, sees the game play 10 seconds in advance, like he has pause/record Tivo or something. :D Amazing.

Guest RockMtl

NOTE TO HABS: I've been trying to STOP nail biting!

Honestly at times I couldn't figure out who was the desperate team last night! Being a pivitol game! Good job Habs.

OK, I've been one of those fans that took a 'wait and see' attitude concerning Carey Price. Not that I didn't like him or had no confidence in him - but TALK is cheap - actions speak louder than words. WELL, Carey may not be getting ENOUGH credit for last nights game. GOLDEN I tell ya, GOLDEN!!!

Someone said Lucic is and idiot - for 19, this kid is going to be awsome and if it wasn't for him Boston woulld have no cylinders to fire. I'm with you GHC - I'd take him on my team in a FLASH!

I'm glad in a way that this series is not a 'cake walk'! The young (no playoff experience) kids are getting a good taste of the pressures. I would rather see this than Walk over the Bruins in 4 easy games and have the youngins' get big heads. ALL good news as far as I'm concerned.

3-1 in the series + Going back to the BELL CENTER x Fans = SHOULD be ONE heck of a night!!!!!!

Guest scottyisback44
NOTE TO HABS: I've been trying to STOP nail biting!

Honestly at times I couldn't figure out who was the desperate team last night! Being a pivitol game! Good job Habs.

OK, I've been one of those fans that took a 'wait and see' attitude concerning Carey Price. Not that I didn't like him or had no confidence in him - but TALK is cheap - actions speak louder than words. WELL, Carey may not be getting ENOUGH credit for last nights game. GOLDEN I tell ya, GOLDEN!!!

Someone said Lucic is and idiot - for 19, this kid is going to be awsome and if it wasn't for him Boston woulld have no cylinders to fire. I'm with you GHC - I'd take him on my team in a FLASH!

I'm glad in a way that this series is not a 'cake walk'! The young (no playoff experience) kids are getting a good taste of the pressures. I would rather see this than Walk over the Bruins in 4 easy games and have the youngins' get big heads. ALL good news as far as I'm concerned.

3-1 in the series + Going back to the BELL CENTER x Fans = SHOULD be ONE heck of a night!!!!!!

Nail biting.... Funny I told my buddy the same thing last night when I didnt have any nails left to bite on!!!! On teh edge of the seat all night. GO HABS GO!!!

Guest fansince1975
speak louder than words. WELL, Carey may not be getting ENOUGH credit for last nights game. GOLDEN I tell ya, GOLDEN!!!

Hopefully a victory party as it is time that the highest scoring NHL team break out for a big game.

Guest Innis_Mor
Someone said Lucic is and idiot - for 19, this kid is going to be awesome and if it wasn't for him Boston would have no cylinders to fire. I'm with you GHC - I'd take him on my team in a FLASH!
I like everything I've seen in him so far this round, with the exception of "crying" simulation aimed at Kovalev in Game 4. That's a bit much for a 19 year-old rookie to be trying with a seasoned veteran, play-offs or not. Julien may (or may not) have told him to cut it out. That kind of stuff may just get the dormant Kovi going, or may get Lucic a wallop of an elbow when he is least looking (as Tucker and Hollweg and others can attest to).

Archived