• Montreal in 4
    • Montreal in 5
    • Montreal in 6
    • Montreal in 7
    • Boston in 4
    • Boston in 5
    • Boston in 6
    • Boston in 7

No one is going to the net with any regularity. You have two guys cycling the puck down low and the third man drifting in and out of the cycle when he's not standing right next to a Bruins d-man. So when the shot comes, it goes straight to a Bruins player because no Hab is close enough to the net to jump on the rebound. The fourth line is having success because there is always someone crashing the net, whether it be Kosto, Begin, or (less frequently) Smolinski. I'm not saying anything new or insightful, which is what's frustrating me. The problem is staring the team in the face, everybody knows it, the coaches certainly know it, and yet outside of the Smoke line, everyone continues to play the same perimeter game, which is why we're getting so few quality scoring chances.

If I'm Carbonneau, I give the brothers Kostitsyn strict orders to park themselves at the net on their respective lines, waiting for feeds, redirects, and rebounds. Thomas gives up plenty of rebounds, the opportunities are there, now let's capitalize!

Guest King-Carey-31

Good to see Carbo FINALLY adjusted to bostons special dump and chase theory, cross ice dumps that stop price from handling the puck, need to be handled by the defensemen, and uhm, whoever said the trap doesn't work......needs to watch last nights game :)

Guest 77Bourque77
No one is going to the net with any regularity. You have two guys cycling the puck down low and the third man drifting in and out of the cycle when he's not standing right next to a Bruins d-man. So when the shot comes, it goes straight to a Bruins player because no Hab is close enough to the net to jump on the rebound. The fourth line is having success because there is always someone crashing the net, whether it be Kosto, Begin, or (less frequently) Smolinski. I'm not saying anything new or insightful, which is what's frustrating me. The problem is staring the team in the face, everybody knows it, the coaches certainly know it, and yet outside of the Smoke line, everyone continues to play the same perimeter game, which is why we're getting so few quality scoring chances.

If I'm Carbonneau, I give the brothers Kostitsyn strict orders to park themselves at the net on their respective lines, waiting for feeds, redirects, and rebounds. Thomas gives up plenty of rebounds, the opportunities are there, now let's capitalize!

that true weep, in the regualr season you would always see andrei infront of the net, i wonder why he has stopped. and if i was carbs inteading getting sergei to stand infront i would get higgins to, he seems to be pretty good at redirecting.

Guest King-Carey-31

Koivu's return will be huge for this team, the Offense will get going again and pleks will play much better, Higgins can move back to the wing and Koivu can direct traffic on the PP! and PK! Koivu means so much to this team, things that cannot be recorded on paper, only in our hearts, #11 FOREVER!

Guest thefooligan5

Frankly I don't think I've seen a goalie get away with that kind of play for quite so long before. I am not sure how many other teams in the playoffs would be letting Thomas get away with this play. It is disgraceful and for that I question Montreal playoff grittiness. If the habs were crashing the net they would have won each of their games handily because the rebounds are reaching embarrassing levels. If they think they have seen some quality defense they are going to be terrified should they meet a western team.

Guest russianhabsfan
That idiot Lucic sure looked funny when he missed a check and kissed the boards last night. What a dork.

Completely agree with you there. I understand this kid is flying out there. But unlike a lot of people here I would never want him in my team. This goon is completely classless. Just seeing him make the crying sign towards Kovy made me sick. <_<

So I wish Komi helps him lose a couple more of those teeth in the last game of this useless series.

Guest 1970 Habs

Eastern Conference: Price earns shutout as Habs take 3-1 series lead in Game 4

Why the Canadiens won: Even when they're not the best team on the ice, they're too good not to find the net. If the Bruins thought they were going to force a scoreless overtime against Montreal they were wrong. Carey Price is the real deal. The kid has every positive aspect you'd like to see in a goaltender and unmatched poise for his age. Even when caught out of position, his recovery is fluid and swift. Mike Komisarek also did a fantastic job of blocking shooting lanes and getting physical with the Bruins big guns. That being said, luck was a factor in the win. They found the net first, but just as easily could have found themselves in an early hole. The pucks bounced their way and good teams translate that into wins. Former New York Yankees pitcher Lefty Gomez said that he'd "rather be lucky than good." The Canadiens were both and now they have a strange-hold on the series.

Why the Bruins lost: They had the chances — even more than Montreal — but they didn't have more goals. Too many feeds were fractions of a second late. Too many times missing the holes. Too many times not capitalizing on a breakaway or another primo scoring chance. Boston competed with and looked like the better team for much of the night against the Canadiens, but Carey Price, though shaky at times early on, never cracked. The kid is the definition of composure.

Key play of the game: Montreal's power play at the end of the second period was truly make or break. The Bruins were pounding away at Montreal and though the shot count was even, Boston was getting more quality scoring chances. Montreal's power play came through when it was needed more than ever. A long and fortunate rebound found its way to Patrice Brisebois, who finally drove home the puck and nailed down the game for Montreal.

What's next: The Bruins are in dire straits. Just as easily, the Bruins could be leading the series 3-1. Instead, they need to pull out a miracle to knock off Montreal. For the Habs, it's about righting the ship. Their performance in this series has, at times, left something to be desired. If Carey Price can cover up the mistakes, fine, but turnovers and sloppy play would have meant defeat against a more talented offensive unit. The series could prove to be an eye-opener for Guy Carbonneau and club, but first they have to finish off Boston.

Source: http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/8039584...Habs-to-victory

Guest hablover
Completely agree with you there. I understand this kid is flying out there. But unlike a lot of people here I would never want him in my team. This goon is completely classless. Just seeing him make the crying sign towards Kovy made me sick. <_<

So I wish Komi helps him lose a couple more of those teeth in the last game of this useless series.

Ha ha...Komi owned him last night!

I hope Kovalev gets fed up with him and does to him what he did to tucker 2 years ago!

Boy, i would be smiling from the rafters tomorrow night!

Guest old whaler fan..go habs

My comments are from being there at the fleet center amongst the other hab fans and I gotta tell ya....it was bad. Those bruin fans were only looking for one thing last nite and that was fights. From the dropping of the puck we had to deal with "thunder sticks" being slapped next to our ears all night....( great giveaway by the way :rolleyes: )

I felt bad for the thousands of Montreal fans who traveled down to get the abuse they(we) did. Its one thing to ridicule a team but the personal attacks just kept coming all night. I was called a "fag" on numerous occasions and my nieces husband was verbally attacked while he was standing at the urinal. I saw a 9 year old kid take joy in singing "your gay" to the melody of "Ole".

When the final horn came and my group of 8 from Hartford were standing cheering in section 329....two in my group had beer thrown on them , while I was showered in popcorn. There were fights between fans on the way to outside and no police to be seen anywhere. Many hab fans were very nervous and kept pushing trying to get out and just kept saying " keep moving , keep moving" The bruins fans were in our faces with threats of a fight. On most occasions this would not bother me but it was the amount of bruins fans who were feeling the same way....alot of beer muscles last night

The only one who was spared was my oldest son , who wore his whaler jersey.....( who can hate the whale :D )

It will be a long time before I set foot in the arena.....no wonder all my relatives from St.Georges de Beauce call those bruins fans " PIGS"

I took great pleasure though in watching Price get the shut out, Lucic miss is big check and knowing the habs will most likely eliminate those bruins....next time I want to see my habs play. I'll make the yearly bus trip we have down here to the bell centre

Guest 1970 Habs
Danis, along with Trotter and a couple of other bulldogs (probably Chipchura and Valentenko) are expected to be caleld up by Montreal for the playoffs, probably to get some experience around the team, and Gainey wants to meet Trotter since he hasnt done so yet

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20080415...5128/CPSPORTS01

I do not understand this move really.

Guest Me_Habs_Fan

Habs Game .. I actually might make it to Habs game next year. One of my friends is talking about going and he is asking some other Hab fans to go. I got my spot on hold and I've got to save up a few bucks. About a 9-1/2 hour drive one way. This would be my first (live) game.

Boston fans .. I have some in my area and they are awful. A good deal of them are very racist and mouthy. One is good friend, so I put up with his racist comments. I gave up trying to get him to stop. I think I mentioned this before, but he asked me the question - "How many cups would the Bruins have won if they could have got by Montreal?" :) I don't know, it is hard to say. I hope the Habs beat these guys tomorrow night and we can rid ourselves of all the Boston negativeness. A rivalry is one thing, but the hatefulness that that Boston fans have for the Habs, is just to much. Of course I realize this isn't all Boston fans. Just most of them. ;)

No one is going to tell me that HNIC guys aren't rooting for Boston. I watched it last night and it was just sickening. Boston did all this and that stuff right, interviews were Boston players first, video screen displays of Boston players making the best plays and etc. Hey guys .. They Lost!

Lets win this guys - Thu 4 / 17 - Game 5.

Guest overlords
I do not understand this move really.

what's not to understand? This is a common move made by nhl teams when their ahl affiliate has been eliminated. And we've been big on giving kids a taste of the bigs just to get them motivated. Makes a lot of sense IMO.

Guest Innis_Mor
what's not to understand? This is a common move made by nhl teams when their ahl affiliate has been eliminated. And we've been big on giving kids a taste of the bigs just to get them motivated. Makes a lot of sense IMO.
Someone's got to tape the sticks!! :D

Guest Innis_Mor

Chara is playing injured: "sore ribs": http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...y/WBhockeyblog/

Ward has injured his knee: says he "ran into a little girl" :lol:

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins...injury_for.html

http://news.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/...position=recent

"Defenceman Mark Streit was missing at Montreal's practice Wednesday but there was no word on his condition. Captain Saku Koivu, who has yet to play in the series, had X-rays on his fractured foot but is not ready to return.

In Boston, defenceman Aaron Ward missed practice and is reportedly doubtful to play with a knee injury."

http://canadianpress.google.com/article/AL...WSyV1OHG_hc3OQw

Harry Sinden, and advisor to the Bruins, showing his support (?) :blink: :

"Marc Savard, who scored the overtime winner in Game 3, was also criticized.

"I'm not a fan of his," he told the Globe. "He's one of these guys who has batting average but no runs batted in. You know what I mean? He gets a lot of points. He's a good player, I'm just not a fan.""

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=234468&amp...os=topStory_nhl

Guest 1970 Habs

Some of the players brought up; Danis and Locke - I do not see these guys in the Team's long term plans.

Some of the players brought up; Danis and Locke - I do not see these guys in the Team's long term plans.

Long term plans or not, right now they are the best spare parts we have in their respective positions, and if we catch the injury bug, I really don't care if they are in our long term plans or not, I'll be quite happy that they haven't started their personal offseason yet and are still in game shape when called upon. It's unlikely we need to use them, but there's really no reason not to have them here for insurance (especially Danis, since after Price and Halak there is no one else)

Guest Innis_Mor
Long term plans or not, right now they are the best spare parts we have in their respective positions, and if we catch the injury bug, I really don't care if they are in our long term plans or not, I'll be quite happy that they haven't started their personal offseason yet and are still in game shape when called upon. It's unlikely we need to use them, but there's really no reason not to have them here for insurance (especially Danis, since after Price and Halak there is no one else)
Yup, exactly it, Graeme. BG would look pretty silly if a big flu bug hit the team or a half-dozen injuries suddenly came along and the guys they need to call are lying on a beach in Mexico and haven't a clue of what the team's systems are.

Guest fansince1975

I would really like Koivu and Bouillon back for Thursday game. However, I get the impression that Montreal will keep them on the sideline so they can heal closer to 100%. Montreal would either play Rangers (assuming they beat the Devils) or Flyers (if they beat the Caps) in the next round. Either situation would result in around 5 to 7 days before the 2nd round starts.

Get past the Bruins on Thursday and then look forward to a healthy lineup for the next round. A healthy lineup against the Rangers or Flyers will make Montreal very hard to beat. Especially with Price in net.

I am assuming that Koivu and Bouillon will not play game 5.

1) I would like to see Ryder back into game 5 to provide another scoring threat on the 4th line and maybe some PP time. He would replace Streit on 4th line.

2) I would like to see Grabs on the 2nd line so Higgins and S. Kostitsyn can play wing. Otherwise put Chips on the 2nd line to center Higgins and Sergei. Chips was a big factor winning the Calder last season including helping the offense. Chips will play a solid game. He is a natural leader with good skills. One of these CENTERS would replace Latendresse.

3) Keep the Smoke line intact as they are the best line so far in the playoffs.

4) Keep the #1 line intact as Pleks, Kovalev, and A. Kostitsyn should get more room without Ward in the lineup and possibly Chara playing with bad shoulder and bad ribs.

5) Put Streit in the press box so his injury can heal. He had a rehab day today so I am assuming he has some type of minor injury.

6) Put Lats to the press box. At the very least this should motivate Lats to play harder.

7) Keep O'Byrne in the lineup. Increase his ice time to around 12 minutes from the 9:30 in his first game

8) Put Stewart into the lineup on the 4th line to replace Dandenault. He will hit Chara, Ward (if he plays), and Lucic with big hits. Lots of energy. He has good speed.

9) Put Dandenault in the press box. Just a one game demotion to get some rookie into the lineup and to get some much needed energy into the lineup.

We were lucky to win 1-0. We need a better lineup to win game 5. Unforunately Koivu and Bouillon are not ready to return but lots of good players are waiting to play with lots of energy. This can work and has in the past for Montreal. Give the rookie a chance. We are not expecting them to become superstars just work hard and hit the Bruins. The more the Bruins are hit the better it is for the skilled players like Kovalev and Higgins.

Indeed. If we go deep, we will likely need at least 1 or 2 of these guys (chipchura or a dman most likely) - its nice to have some quality depth for a change!

Guest caperns
I'd take Lucic on my team in a heartbeat!

:lol:

I would love to have that kid on my team also. Any forward that can do battle with big mike and come out ahead just as much as mike some nights more. hats of to him. He's the type of kid that breeds win at all cost.

Just because players play for other teams does not mean they don't derserve some repect. Lucic has earned my resepct from his play.

Guest dpolo
I would love to have that kid on my team also. Any forward that can do battle with big mike and come out ahead just as much as mike some nights more. hats of to him. He's the type of kid that breeds win at all cost.

Just because players play for other teams does not mean they don't derserve some repect. Lucic has earned my resepct from his play.

Of the topic....

When will the second playoff round start? Do we have a fixed day or it depends when all the teams finish round one?

Archived