• Montreal in 5
    • Montreal in 6
    • Montreal in 7
    • Boston in 4
    • Boston in 5
    • Boston in 6
    • Boston in 7

Of the topic....

When will the second playoff round start? Do we have a fixed day or it depends when all the teams finish round one?

I do believe games will start 1 or 2 days following the last day of the first round (last day of round 1 is Tue Apr 22, 2008) - so that means second round should start on the 23rd-24th. Theres always a bit of uncertainty because we dont know who is playing who - and in this day & age of scheduling conflicts, things can be a little more complicated than just saying "this day"

I believe the only round that can be moved early is the finals - for example, if both teams in round 3 sweep their series, they could move up the finals a few days - otherwise though, even if every series ended in a sweep in round 1, the start date is still right after the TBA 7th game in the previous round.

Guest Habcup
I would really like Koivu and Bouillon back for Thursday game. However, I get the impression that Montreal will keep them on the sideline so they can heal closer to 100%. Montreal would either play Rangers (assuming they beat the Devils) or Flyers (if they beat the Caps) in the next round. Either situation would result in around 5 to 7 days before the 2nd round starts.

Get past the Bruins on Thursday and then look forward to a healthy lineup for the next round. A healthy lineup against the Rangers or Flyers will make Montreal very hard to beat. Especially with Price in net.

I am assuming that Koivu and Bouillon will not play game 5.

1) I would like to see Ryder back into game 5 to provide another scoring threat on the 4th line and maybe some PP time. He would replace Streit on 4th line.

2) I would like to see Grabs on the 2nd line so Higgins and S. Kostitsyn can play wing. Otherwise put Chips on the 2nd line to center Higgins and Sergei. Chips was a big factor winning the Calder last season including helping the offense. Chips will play a solid game. He is a natural leader with good skills. One of these CENTERS would replace Latendresse.

3) Keep the Smoke line intact as they are the best line so far in the playoffs.

4) Keep the #1 line intact as Pleks, Kovalev, and A. Kostitsyn should get more room without Ward in the lineup and possibly Chara playing with bad shoulder and bad ribs.

5) Put Streit in the press box so his injury can heal. He had a rehab day today so I am assuming he has some type of minor injury.

6) Put Lats to the press box. At the very least this should motivate Lats to play harder.

7) Keep O'Byrne in the lineup. Increase his ice time to around 12 minutes from the 9:30 in his first game

8) Put Stewart into the lineup on the 4th line to replace Dandenault. He will hit Chara, Ward (if he plays), and Lucic with big hits. Lots of energy. He has good speed.

9) Put Dandenault in the press box. Just a one game demotion to get some rookie into the lineup and to get some much needed energy into the lineup.

We were lucky to win 1-0. We need a better lineup to win game 5. Unforunately Koivu and Bouillon are not ready to return but lots of good players are waiting to play with lots of energy. This can work and has in the past for Montreal. Give the rookie a chance. We are not expecting them to become superstars just work hard and hit the Bruins. The more the Bruins are hit the better it is for the skilled players like Kovalev and Higgins.

Whow! We are leading the series 3 to 1. There is no need to make any changes except if we have an injury - Like Streit. It was not luck that we won 1 0. If we play a defensive game against Boston we should always get the better chances to score since we have more speed, talent and depth.

Guest fansince1975
Whow! We are leading the series 3 to 1. There is no need to make any changes except if we have an injury - Like Streit. It was not luck that we won 1 0. If we play a defensive game against Boston we should always get the better chances to score since we have more speed, talent and depth.

I believe in proactive. It is how I run my successful business. Make the moves today to make the team better be it taking out a player that is injuried to taking out a player that is underperforming to changing the look of the team by adding or removing certain style of players.

Of course if Koivu plays tonigt then several things change but I doubt he will play even though he skated on Wedneday and Thursday.

We won the Cup in 1986 with several rookies so I am not afraid of putting rookies into the mix over veteran players like Dandenault. Sure Dandenault has lots of experience but otherwise what does he bring to the game.

Just because we won does not mean the TEAM should stay with the same lineup. If Price did not get a shutout we would have gone to OT or even lost in regulation. We need to crash the Bruins defence so there is more room for the #1 line. We need to have a center for the 2nd line otherwise this line is not nearly as good as normal. I would prefer Koivu but would take Grabs (lots of speed and skill) or Chips (skill and very good defensively) to center the 2nd line. In order to insert someone in the lineup someone has to come out of the lineup. Streit (minor injury) has already been replaced by Ryder which is a good move as Ryder knows how to score. To make room for Grabs or Chips or Koivu another forward has to come out. The two most likely players would be Latendresse or Dandenault that sit in the press box.

Put out the 20 best players. This is not a popularity contest with the local media and fans. Winning the cup requires the right decisions to be made by the coach every game otherwise easy series become nightmares.

Guest CristoWallHuet39

Nananana Nananana Hey Heyey Goodbyeee

Guest dpolo
I do believe games will start 1 or 2 days following the last day of the first round (last day of round 1 is Tue Apr 22, 2008) - so that means second round should start on the 23rd-24th. Theres always a bit of uncertainty because we dont know who is playing who - and in this day & age of scheduling conflicts, things can be a little more complicated than just saying "this day"

I believe the only round that can be moved early is the finals - for example, if both teams in round 3 sweep their series, they could move up the finals a few days - otherwise though, even if every series ended in a sweep in round 1, the start date is still right after the TBA 7th game in the previous round.

Thanks a lot.

That means I'll miss only one game, much better than I expected :D

Guest halifax_habs
I would love to have that kid on my team also. Any forward that can do battle with big mike and come out ahead just as much as mike some nights more. hats of to him. He's the type of kid that breeds win at all cost.

Just because players play for other teams does not mean they don't derserve some repect. Lucic has earned my resepct from his play.

I'll second that. Lucic is young too, and very disciplined considering the style he plays. He only had 89 penalty minutes - and a good number of those were for fighting.

Guest CheeseHab

we win this series, but there's no way we get past the pens or blue-shirts unless Sak comes back and shows why he wears the C.

we've been fragile and have folded for ten years now. E-nough!

Up to them to do-it-on-the-ice.

I'm rootin' ... but it's on their sticks.

Well, I had picked Montreal in 6. For that to happen, they'll have to get back at working their butts off and hitting the Bruins. It's like they think it will be easy. It's the playoffs, there won't be any easy game. Work, work harder, work even harder... then rest!

EDIT: And stop the stupid penalties.

Guest Hoyle00cdn

I posted this in the Game Thread but no one acknowledged it.....Probably because the Game Thread usually becomes a magnet for whining fair-weather posters to cry and complain.

-------------------------------

Boston isn't outcoaching Montreal, nor are they outplaying. Boston is doing one thing, and one thing only, they're exploiting Montreal's biggest weakness right now; they're lack of a second scoring line. This entire series Montreal has been playing with 1 scoring line and 3 checking lines. The absense of Koivu is almost blatently exposed in this series. Without Koivu the second line is so lost it's sad. Higgins is expect to play center and just can't do it, and Sergei inexperience is showing. When your second scoring line looks THAT confused on the ice, it makes it extremely easy for Boston to do nothing but focus one Kovalev's line. In fact that is ALL Boston has been doing all series.

Same thing with the PP. Julien isn't a genius, in fact it's a frickin suck who cries every time he doesn't get his way. Every time I see Julien whining on the bench, he looks like a teddy bear upset because he wants his peanut butter. Boston stacks their PK1 unit and leave's their PK2 unit looking like *****, simply because Higgin's isn't used to playing the PP at Center which distorts the entire secondary PP unit for Montreal.

-------------------------------------

Guest CristoWallHuet39

We started to play way too defensively once we were winning and depended too much on Price thinking he could just easily get another shutout. We only woke up once we were down 3-1 but it was too late and we still let in 2 more goals. Carbo should really use the timeout he gets, and use it early when something like this happens. It's free.

Guest thefooligan5
We started to play way too defensively once we were winning and depended too much on Price thinking he could just easily get another shutout. We only woke up once we were down 3-1 but it was too late and we still let in 2 more goals. Carbo should really use the timeout he gets, and use it early when something like this happens. It's free.

Even though that made me laugh, it leaves me feeling frustrated too. I still cannot understand why Carbo won't use them for, as you said, they are free.

Guest HabSteve

tonight we weren't beated phisically as the last few games

we were beated by a better team all around, they didnt have to hit, they skated, their goalie was better

it looked like a reversal of all season

thats what scares me.

We still lead this series, but I hope the players are taking this seriously, don't play a game 7 guys, end this saturday.

I haven't lost hope.

Guest Habs_101

I honestly cant see Koivu not coming back Saturday for game 6 after the effort tonight. He has to be just itching to get back into things. And from the quick clips of him skating they showed, he doesn't seem to be in much pain. If he can comeback I would love to try this...

S.Kostitsyn - Koivu - Kovalev

Higgins - Plekanec - A. Kostitsyn

Dandy/Ryder - Lapierre - Stewart

Begin - Smolinski - Kostopolous

Reasons for this lineup, Latendresse NEEDS to sit, he is big and completely invisible. Its sad...and it would surely send him a message. Kovalev has started to get better and better as the series went on, he can handle the pressure of being checked by the top defenses Plekanec and A.Kost have shown flashes but are struggling getting free and this line was dynamite last year, Koivu and S.Kost play really well together. I also wanna see Stewart in as he will bring TONS of energy and rough things up out there. The fourth line has done everything they should be doing, and should stay together.

What do you think of these lines? Personally I love it.

Guest mtl4thewin

I think they need to mix up all the lines and spread out scoring potential. Kovy line is shut down...

And move the puck quicker on the pp.

Guest montreal_myk

Funny, I was sitting at the game right behind Price tonight in the third. Price looked like a rookie. Everything they say about him, that he is cool and blah blah blah. He choked. I still have faith in the guy. They say the hardest thing for a team to do is to close out a series. well, here we go.

You always hold on to a puck, in the playoffs, with everyone in your zone. If it was a dump in, then you drop it to your D. For anyone who was at the game, at least no bruins fans in the crowd left without beer on the head. Hehehe. Security was in full force tonight, and the bruins were thanking them.

Game 6, oooffff. tough. thinking of going with a couple of guys. if anyone has tickets to sell, lemme know. But sergei kostitsyn has got to control his temper and start wake up. his bad penalties are costing us. carbo should have benched him for a dumb penalty. he was on next shift... i don't get it. anyways, let's put this game behind us and look to playing in boston, on the road, where we've been best all year. hopefully bergeron feels more headaches.

Myk

I posted this in the Game Thread but no one acknowledged it.....Probably because the Game Thread usually becomes a magnet for whining fair-weather posters to cry and complain.

Boston isn't outcoaching Montreal, nor are they outplaying. Boston is doing one thing, and one thing only, they're exploiting Montreal's biggest weakness right now; they're lack of a second scoring line. This entire series Montreal has been playing with 1 scoring line and 3 checking lines. The absense of Koivu is almost blatently exposed in this series. Without Koivu the second line is so lost it's sad. Higgins is expect to play center and just can't do it, and Sergei inexperience is showing. When your second scoring line looks THAT confused on the ice, it makes it extremely easy for Boston to do nothing but focus one Kovalev's line. In fact that is ALL Boston has been doing all series.

Same thing with the PP. Julien isn't a genius, in fact it's a frickin suck who cries every time he doesn't get his way. Every time I see Julien whining on the bench, he looks like a teddy bear upset because he wants his peanut butter. Boston stacks their PK1 unit and leave's their PK2 unit looking like *****, simply because Higgin's isn't used to playing the PP at Center which distorts the entire secondary PP unit for Montreal.

I agree with most of what you're saying here with the exception of one thing. Boston is out-working us, out-hustling, winning the one-on-one battles. With the exception of game one, it's like they want it more than we do. We have a much better team than theirs but as my old signature quote read:

"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard!"

Guest 77Bourque77
Well, I had picked Montreal in 6. For that to happen, they'll have to get back at working their butts off and hitting the Bruins. It's like they think it will be easy. It's the playoffs, there won't be any easy game. Work, work harder, work even harder... then rest!

EDIT: And stop the stupid penalties.

exactly JL, i picked them in five... but they have just stoping working. and you cant do that in the playoffs, like...i dont undertsand why they cant play the same way they did in game 1. i know boston has made changes and all, but it just seems after game 1, they decieded to stop and take it easy? maybe its just me that sees it i dont know. why arnt we using our speed? we can burn their defence easily but it seems like everyone has lost their legs. maybe another shake up is needed.

Guest KOIVU#11

The effort in this series has absoultley went down the tubes. Going into this game the only people giving 100% was Price and the fourth line. For some reason the rest of the team, can't pass, hit the net, or get anything that resmebles a power play. Tonight after the first its like we went into, oh lets try and protect a 1-0 lead for 40 minutes.

Everyone thought this series was in the bag. Lets rest Saku because were winning the series, Streit goes down with a "hip" injury, which I'm sure is real serious... Fact is this is the playoffs, look at Chara out there, obviously playing hurt, Yzerman played hurt, Gilmour played hurt, these injuries are a load. Suck it up and play threw it, we thought we'd be home free tonight and we'd all be celebrating by now, everyone from the fans to the players.

This has been the worst hockey we've played all year, this team is NOT going places if its going to have disgraceful outings like the past three games, yes the past three games, becuase even though we've won, the effort simply was not there the intensisty was not there and right now my temper as boiled over with the lack luster hockey that the habs are coasting along with. We can, and SHOULD win this series but this team has to remove its head from the clouds, and GET IT TOGETHER!

Guest Innis_Mor

Well, we're certainly on the same page. I've been saying this since before Game 2 . Habs have to stick to the hockey that got them 1st place in the Eastern Conference and had them beating the Bruins 8 straight times in the regular season. What is this crap about "play-off hockey"? :rolleyes: It is still hockey!! Yeah, maybe you work harder, but if your game is skating, you simply skate harder!! You don't switch over to "hitting and avoiding hits" as your game?!?! :blink: What the hell is that!!

What kills me now after Game 5 is that Julien's got Carbo to dedicate to playing the Bruins game, and then Julien switched over to the Habs game of skating and scoring!! ROTFL!! :lol:

Carbo's got Koivu out with an injury so instead of inserting like-for-like he's got Higgins playing centre for the first time in his NHL career (good time to start, play-offs). Since after Game 1, I have been suggesting AK46-MiG54-AK27 followed by Higgy-Pleks-SK74. Voila!! Two good scoring lines, everyone playing their natural position, and plenty of skating and speed (the Habs' game!!). Looks pretty simple to me. Kovi and MiG have already showed they have chemistry in the regular season, Pleks gets away from Chara (MiG doesn't mind getting hit, Pleks does).

It's getting close to "past time" for the Habs to get back to their game.

Guest Rygar
It's getting close to "past time" for the Habs to get back to their game.

Ain't that the truth.

I'm getting the feeling that they aren't goin to get back to their game. They've had 5 games to do it so far.

I love the Habs, but I think game 7 = end of season.

Archived