• Montreal in 6
    • Montreal in 7
    • Boston in 4
    • Boston in 5
    • Boston in 6
    • Boston in 7

Guest Flying Lion

Gut check time.

That's really all there is to it.  Poor Price, I really felt for him.  He made a big mistake and it seemed he couldn't let it go.  And then we just played like amateurs after that.

I really wished Carbs could have pulled Price after the 5th goal because I can imagine the poor kid just wanted to cry but it was important he finished the game.  He's going to take something from the experience and come out stronger, I think.  That's how it's been all year for the Canadiens.  We respond really well after a loss.

That said, it's not just Price that needs to pull himself together.  Sergei Kostitsyn showed a bit of frustration that you just can't allow at this time of year. Others seem to be following suit, or not even suiting up at all it seems.

Our power play sucks.  Something has to give.  We've either been playing way above our potential until now or we need to get it together and kick the crap out of the Bruins on Saturday night.  I don't want to become a collapse they compare to the one suffered by the Ottawa Senators.

This all seems so negative but we really didn't play a good game.  That said, Kovalev scored one of the best goals I've seen and Price really looked solid until the 3rd, IMHO.

All is not lost.  Half of the Boston arena seems filled with Montreal fans and, like I said, we usually do well for ourselves after a loss.

GO HABS GO!

Never let up!

Never give in!

Guest Rygar
All is not lost. 

GO HABS GO!

Never let up!

Never give in!

Agreed. Hard to swallow a performance like last night but we gotta pull it together.

Guest concreteveins

Habs will win game 6. Why?

1) Bruins are going to be too uptight for the rest of the series. To stiff. Afraid to make a mistake.

2) Price will bounce back.

3) Our top scoring line looks back to form. Pleks using his speed to open the lanes for Kovy, kostitsyn shooting the puck.

4) Markov finally jumping up in the offensive zone.

Habs will prevail.

Guest Koivu Fan

The first period last night, the habs were dominant. Then the wheels just completely fell off. Reminds me of game 2 for Boston, minus the penalties. Boston bounced back with a hard fought win in game 3 though, so hopefully our guys can do that same. Even if we do lose the next one, Game 7 with the electricity from our crowd...i think we have that game in the bag.

Gut check time.

That's really all there is to it.  Poor Price, I really felt for him.  He made a big mistake and it seemed he couldn't let it go.  And then we just played like amateurs after that.

I really wished Carbs could have pulled Price after the 5th goal because I can imagine the poor kid just wanted to cry but it was important he finished the game.  He's going to take something from the experience and come out stronger, I think.  That's how it's been all year for the Canadiens.  We respond really well after a loss.

That said, it's not just Price that needs to pull himself together.  Sergei Kostitsyn showed a bit of frustration that you just can't allow at this time of year. Others seem to be following suit, or not even suiting up at all it seems.

Our power play sucks.  Something has to give.  We've either been playing way above our potential until now or we need to get it together and kick the crap out of the Bruins on Saturday night.  I don't want to become a collapse they compare to the one suffered by the Ottawa Senators.

This all seems so negative but we really didn't play a good game.  That said, Kovalev scored one of the best goals I've seen and Price really looked solid until the 3rd, IMHO.

All is not lost.  Half of the Boston arena seems filled with Montreal fans and, like I said, we usually do well for ourselves after a loss.

GO HABS GO!

Never let up!

Never give in!

I suspect you will see Price have one of his best games of the year in boston for game 6.

Honestly, every good goalie has bad games - even guys like Roy, Giggy, Ward etc - who won the conn smythe - had bad games in those playoffs. So the question becomes: when would you rather your goalie has a bad game? When you're up 3 - 1 in series? Sounds like just about the best time to me.

Yes, our offense is anemic right now, but get out of this series (which I fully expect to see after game 6), get koivu healthy & I think we'll be just fine for the next round.

Habs will win game 6. Why? 1) Bruins are going to be too uptight for the rest of the series. To stiff. Afraid to make a mistake. 2) Price will bounce back.3) Our top scoring line looks back to form. Pleks using his speed to open the lanes for Kovy, kostitsyn shooting the puck. 4) Markov finally jumping up in the offensive zone. Habs will prevail.
5) traditionally, teams up 3-1 actually lose the 5th game more often than not - but bounce back to win the 6th. Dont know what it is - emotion...last ditch effort from the other team, overconfidence...but it seems to be a league wide trend.
Everyone thought this series was in the bag. Lets rest Saku because were winning the series, Streit goes down with a "hip" injury, which I'm sure is real serious... Fact is this is the playoffs, look at Chara out there, obviously playing hurt, Yzerman played hurt, Gilmour played hurt, these injuries are a load. Suck it up and play threw it, we thought we'd be home free tonight and we'd all be celebrating by now, everyone from the fans to the players.
Lets leave the decisions about whether or not to play to the players/trainers. Let us not forget that Souray played hurt in 2002 playoffs, further compounding his existing injury & ended up missing a whole season the following year. I have full faith in our training staff & im willing to bet anyone sitting is not doing so because they dont want to play. ;)

Guest LarryRobinson

I picked this series in 6. Im not worried. I just dont see the B's winning 3 straight, nor do I see this loss as a serious momentum shifter. The boys know how to play on the road. Lets get it done on Saturday.

Guest mtl4thewin

Price along with our solid defensive play has been the only thing keeping us in the playoffs, unfortunately both Price and the defense faltered last night and we know what the result was.

Although this team has adjusted well in matching Boston's grit, they cannot completely rely on changing their identity into a gritty team and expect to win. Of course grit and hard work are needed in the playoffs, but this team is built for speed and puck movement. It is about time they do what it is they do best. A team that can beat the gritty team to the puck and move it so quick that the gritty team gets out of position will score and win.

For some reason, Montreal is trying to match Boston's grit and I think this is the wrong approach because Boston is built for that style and Montreal is not. It is obvious that Montreal is changing their style and that is evident on the score board and how the most productive line is our most gritty line.

Of course one can say Boston is doing a good job at shutting down Montreal's speed and puck movement but I think Montreal is partially to blame for not using their speed and puck movement. One thing that I have observed is that players are going into the corners to deliver bodychecks, not gain possession of the puck and moving it, something a gritty team would concentrate on.

This gritty mentality is manifesting itself on Montreal's PP. Although Boston is doing a fine job at putting pressure on the players, Montreal is not moving the puck quickly at all, very little cycling going on. They seem to be content with battling for the pucks and of course Boston wins that battle.

I can't remember where this comment was made but someone said that all Montreal's lines should be playing like the Smolinski, Begin, and Kostopoulos line and this brings a tear to my eye. Of course maybe they are refering to matching this lines effort, but I interpreted it as matching this lines grit and ability to battle for pucks.

Final Word, the team needs to regain their identity and do what it is that has made them successful thus far. Out skate the opposition and move the puck, putting the opposition out of position, exploiting this and putting the puck in the net. Until this happens, Montreal will not make it very far in these playoffs. Do not misinterpret this as meaning the team needing to be less fierce in their attack by losing that gritty mentality. I am instead saying their efforts have to be focused on maximizing their skills sets.

Guest habsrule4eva3089

Series Discussion? Montrealers panic too much... remember we just need to play one good game... heck even one average game with Carey standing on his head... they need to play 2 perfect games... I like our chance.

Guest GreekHockeyCoach

How does that saying go, I think it's something like this "Hard work will beat talent when talent doesn't work hard"

Wake up boys, enough toying around with the Bruins.

Guest habsrule4eva3089
How does that saying go, I think it's something like this "Hard work will beat talent when talent doesn't work hard"

Wake up boys, enough toying around with the Bruins.

yep so true, no way we lose to 20 4th line players 2 straight games!!

Guest concreteveins
Price along with our solid defensive play has been the only thing keeping us in the playoffs, unfortunately both Price and the defense faltered last night and we know what the result was.

Although this team has adjusted well in matching Boston's grit, they cannot completely rely on changing their identity into a gritty team and expect to win. Of course grit and hard work are needed in the playoffs, but this team is built for speed and puck movement. It is about time they do what it is they do best. A team that can beat the gritty team to the puck and move it so quick that the gritty team gets out of position will score and win.

For some reason, Montreal is trying to match Boston's grit and I think this is the wrong approach because Boston is built for that style and Montreal is not. It is obvious that Montreal is changing their style and that is evident on the score board and how the most productive line is our most gritty line.

Of course one can say Boston is doing a good job at shutting down Montreal's speed and puck movement but I think Montreal is partially to blame for not using their speed and puck movement. One thing that I have observed is that players are going into the corners to deliver bodychecks, not gain possession of the puck and moving it, something a gritty team would concentrate on.

This gritty mentality is manifesting itself on Montreal's PP. Although Boston is doing a fine job at putting pressure on the players, Montreal is not moving the puck quickly at all, very little cycling going on. They seem to be content with battling for the pucks and of course Boston wins that battle.

I can't remember where this comment was made but someone said that all Montreal's lines should be playing like the Smolinski, Begin, and Kostopoulos line and this brings a tear to my eye. Of course maybe they are refering to matching this lines effort, but I interpreted it as matching this lines grit and ability to battle for pucks.

Final Word, the team needs to regain their identity and do what it is that has made them successful thus far. Out skate the opposition and move the puck, putting the opposition out of position, exploiting this and putting the puck in the net. Until this happens, Montreal will not make it very far in these playoffs. Do not misinterpret this as meaning the team needing to be less fierce in their attack by losing that gritty mentality. I am instead saying their efforts have to be focused on maximizing their skills sets.

Thats well said, and I think you have a valid point, but I think that beyond the Habs changing their play from speed to grit, the Bruins are doing a heck of a job shutting down the Habs.

I said it before and I will say it again; my number one fear for this playoff round is Claude Julien. He has much more experience than Carbo and although Carbo is a very good coach, I was deathly afraid that Carbo would be out coached in this series.

Some of you may think this is nuts but all Boston has done to get a couple wins in this series is collapsed in their defensive zone. Julien is making adjustments based on what the Habs are known to do and, in my opinion, it seems that Carbo is not trying anything new, in order to get thier speedy style of play back.

On the PP it's the same thing, Boston collapses in front of Thomas, clogs up the middle and the shooting lanes and virtaully every shot is blocked or coming from the outside. Montreal had so much success scoring on the PP in the season because pucks went down the middle.

What has Carbo done to compensate for the Boston collapse? From what I see, not a lot. Two examples can prove what I mean. Take game two and Kovalev's OT winner. Where was he when he shot the puck? On the opposite side of where he usually sets up away from Chara and the long reach. Look at the 1-0 win. PP goal scored by Brisebois, a blast from the slot in the middle of the ice, where one could argue that Boston had collapsed way to low. Kovy's goal is an example of an adjustment made by the player. Kovy said at the end of he game that Carbo was yelling at him to come off, but he didn't and he said "I made the right decision". Brisebois goal is an example where the PP should be jamming away down low because the Bruins are expecting the shot and not the crease passes or cycling.

In these two PP goals, the different methods used (Kovy setting up on the opposite side and the work down low) produced goals. These PP goals were also flukey because it was not what Carbo intended.

I have no doubt that Carbo will adjust next game and that the Habs will win. But he needs to start adjusting to the Boston defence so the Habs can use their speed, or get some of it back.

Guest old whaler fan..go habs

First......to all hab fans going to Boston. If you are seated in the upper balcony be aware there are no ushers or security of any kind , so you are basically on your own with the booins fans. They are relentless and will jeer you all night. They don't stop serving beer , no matter how drunk you are . So be prepared for alot of threats to fight and the occasional fight will be started....quite often actually. When leaving again, be prepared there are no ushers or security to be seen in the hallways or stairwells so bruins fans have easy access to any hab fan they wish to attack. Finally, really be careful outside for there are no police to be found and to exit the garden grounds everyone ends up basically in a alley way with elevated sidewalks on each side where bruin fans have the pleasure of throwing things and spitting down on the hab fans..........how do I know....I was at game 4.

Habs need to get their toughness and speed back and begin to click as a unit not try to do it solo.

Guest mtl4thewin
Thats well said, and I think you have a valid point, but I think that beyond the Habs changing their play from speed to grit, the Bruins are doing a heck of a job shutting down the Habs.

I said it before and I will say it again; my number one fear for this playoff round is Claude Julien. He has much more experience than Carbo and although Carbo is a very good coach, I was deathly afraid that Carbo would be out coached in this series.

Some of you may think this is nuts but all Boston has done to get a couple wins in this series is collapsed in their defensive zone. Julien is making adjustments based on what the Habs are known to do and, in my opinion, it seems that Carbo is not trying anything new, in order to get thier speedy style of play back.

On the PP it's the same thing, Boston collapses in front of Thomas, clogs up the middle and the shooting lanes and virtaully every shot is blocked or coming from the outside. Montreal had so much success scoring on the PP in the season because pucks went down the middle.

What has Carbo done to compensate for the Boston collapse? From what I see, not a lot. Two examples can prove what I mean. Take game two and Kovalev's OT winner. Where was he when he shot the puck? On the opposite side of where he usually sets up away from Chara and the long reach. Look at the 1-0 win. PP goal scored by Brisebois, a blast from the slot in the middle of the ice, where one could argue that Boston had collapsed way to low. Kovy's goal is an example of an adjustment made by the player. Kovy said at the end of he game that Carbo was yelling at him to come off, but he didn't and he said "I made the right decision". Brisebois goal is an example where the PP should be jamming away down low because the Bruins are expecting the shot and not the crease passes or cycling.

In these two PP goals, the different methods used (Kovy setting up on the opposite side and the work down low) produced goals. These PP goals were also flukey because it was not what Carbo intended.

I have no doubt that Carbo will adjust next game and that the Habs will win. But he needs to start adjusting to the Boston defence so the Habs can use their speed, or get some of it back.

I am actually quite happy to hear you add this piece to the discussion. I was going to say something similar but due to the length of the post I did not.

The part which I agree with is your statement about the coaching battle. This ties in with the points I had mentioned and that is it is partially the coaches responsibility to guide players in finding this identity I mentioned and I agree that Julien has done a much better job than Carbo. Julien has stated exactly what his team is capable of and Boston has played that style to perfection for the most part. On the other hand, Carbo has sort of mentioned the skills his team should be using, speed and puck movement, but evidently the team has not been doing this very well. So yes, I agree the coach is partially to blame for this incongruence between what style the team is playing and should be playing.

Guest westonhabs

I was wondering if anybody has heard any news on when Saku is coming back? I near Boston and you would have thought the Bruins won the Cup last night! It would be a HUGE emotional lift to have him in the line up tomorrow night for game 6. Plus, he is a Bruin killer!

Guest Habs_101

S.Kostitsyn - Koivu - Kovalev

Higgins - Plekanec - A. Kostitsyn

Dandy/Ryder - Lapierre - Stewart

Begin - Smolinski - Kostopolous

If koivu comes back next game!!! WHat do you think?

Guest Habs_101

Guest Habs_101

Guest westonhabs

I would love to see Saku come back! It would be the dagger in the Bruins heart we should have had last night! He is the leader of this team and his return would be AWESOME!

Guest 1970 Habs

Eastern Conference: Kessel plays big in Game 5 win

Why the Bruins won: Pressure. First off, hats off to Claude Julien for re-inserting Phil Kessel into the lineup — and to the rest of the team for giving him an extra boost as the youngster sparked the Black and Gold offense. He fought hard in the corners and proved to be substantially more valuable than Jeremy Reich could have been in Game 5. Kessel, a defensive liability during the season, even led the team with five blocked shots in his 12:32 of ice time. Boston didn't get caught up with trying to match Montreal hit for hit. Instead, it kept plugging away on offense, trying to complete the chances it missed in Game 4. The Bruins got under Price's skin and refused to leave.

Why the Canadiens lost: They stole a page from the Bruins' Game 4 playbook by not finishing their scoring chances. Alexei Kovalev put a 20-foot backhand past a heavily screened Tim Thomas to open up the scoring. After that, Montreal didn't get the second chances it needed to beat the Boston goaltender. The Bruins found themselves in the penalty box late, but the Canadiens didn't turn those penalties into goals. Montreal's defense was out of sync all night, missing assignments and allowing the Bruins to set up shot in the offensive zone. Then we come to the kid. Carey Price was a cool cat in the first three games of the series, but his frustration after the Bruins' overtime win got into his head a bit. The game's late goals were laughable, and Price's positioning was just way off. Bottom line: When your team allows four goals to the Bruins, you've got some explaining to do.

Key play of the game: The most significant thing to happen in Game 5 happened before the puck dropped. Claude Julien's decision to scratch Phil Kessel for three games had some people scratching their heads, but it gave the Bruins some more pop by keeping Jeremy Reich dressed. But Julien's decision to put Kessel back in the game gave the team a boost — and their first goal — en route to a surprising upset of the Canadiens.

What's next: Maybe there is something to this "one game at a time" thing. The Bruins stepped up their game in Montreal, and that won't change at home. Oh, and expect Phil Kessel to be in the lineup. Montreal got smacked in Game 5. They were complacent, flawed, and a shell of the team they're capable of beating. Guy Carbonneau has a task on his hands to get his team prepared for Game 6 in Boston. All told, this series still belongs to Montreal. The Bruins still have to win two games and the Canadiens are in control of the ship. But after Game 5, those rocks on the shore look an awful lot closer than they did before.

Source: http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/8047518...play-for-Bruins

Time for Montreal to respond with a determined effort and a win.

Guest The Anti-Senator

Whether the Canadiens win or lose this series (and I believe they will win) they have already exceeded my expectations for this season and I am very happy.

Way back in September I believed the Canadiens would scrape into the playoffs, either in the 7th or 8th spot to eventually be eliminated probably in the first round. Of course, they did not only made the playoffs they managed to earn the first seed.

As well, win or lose I hope Bob Gainey sticks to his plan in building this hockey club.

Although I would love to see the Canadiens win the Cup this year it is not my priority as a fan.

I want to see the Canadiens become like the Red Wings, the Devils or the Canadiens of the mid-80s to the early 90s.

That is a team that is a lock to make the playoffs out of the gate every season. A team that once it gets there is a contender for the Cup every time. A team that if it misses the playoffs or even comes close to missing them the hockey world is shaken to its core. A team that is respected and feared and has a chance of winning a game any given night, regardless of its opponent.

What I do not want to see is a Canadiens team like Tampa Bay or Carolina. A one hit wonder that has a Cinderella playoffs and then fades into mediocrity for the next half-dozen seasons.

If Bob Gainey builds the former the Cups will come. They will not come every year but the Canadiens will be contenders every year and if they can put together a good playoff run after a good season they have as much chance of winning a Cup as any other team.

Thankfully, Bob Gainey is only one of about 5 or 6 GMs who has the smarts and the guts to build just such a hockey team and he was building just such a team before these playoffs began. I hope that the lack lustre play we have seen the last four games does not throw him off his plan.

If for the next dozen seasons I can find myself celebrating a Cup or two or three, find myself POed at them being elimintated from the post-season but not being too concerned about whether they will make the playoffs then I will be very happy and I will not care what happens in the next week.

I believe this season we saw the Canadiens turn a corner into long term respectability and I hope the results of these playoffs, whether they are good or bad, will not derail that progress.

Guest hablover
Whether the Canadiens win or lose this series (and I believe they will win) they have already exceeded my expectations for this season and I am very happy.

I wouldn't be happy, not at all, i think it would be even worse...

If we lose this series, our season would mean nothing....

Playoffs is everything, we would be blowing all the hard work into getting the first seed by dropping out so early.

We better win because its wasting a good season on a bad playoffs!

We need to win tomorrow night.....

Archived