• Montreal in 5
    • Montreal in 6
    • Montreal in 7
    • Boston in 4
    • Boston in 5
    • Boston in 6
    • Boston in 7

Guest King-Carey-31
Anyone know if Price made any comments on his blunder in game 5 on Thursday night??

He said if the fans don't like it they can suck it.

Guest fansince1975

First off. HOPING that Price could get a shutout after Kovalev got Montreal the 1-0 lead is the biggest reason Montreal lost last night. I thought Montreal played simply terrible. I can only remember TWO scoring chances for Montreal in the entire game. It is unrealistic to expect Price to get back-to-back shutouts ESPECIALLY while taking stupid penalties. Eventually the Boston PP would score and they did score twice last night. Neither goal was Price's fault.

We need Koivu to center the 2nd line and to provide leadership. The 2nd line has been pretty much a waste of ice time. I blame Carbo for this. He should have put Smoke, Grabs, or Chips at center on the 2nd line. It was a big mistake to think that Sergei or Higgins could play center. They are wingers.

2nd Boston goal. Which ended up being the game winner. The ref should have blown the whistle AND Price should not have tried to move the puck. But lets assume mistakes happen and in this case it was Price's first mistake in the playoffs. His teammates did not even put any serious pressure let alone score on Thomas to help the kid out. This is not how a TEAM is supposed to react.

Goal #1 and #3 where on PP. I think the refs have allowed Chara to manhandle the Canadiens. I guess they figure he is huge so when he uses his free hand to hold or rough up a Canadien player that this is okay. *****. First goal was after Komi blocked a shot and Carey could not cover the next shot. Third goal was deflected by Smoke and could have been deflected by wide open Bruin in front of Price. Not Price fault.

Goal #4. Short handed goal. Big time shot. TERRIBLE defence. I honestly do not think any goalie could stop this shot.

Final goal. Bad goal. But you could tell by watching the game that Price was not in the game anymore. The final goal did not matter.

What I did see by watching the game and looking at the game report. Lats was on the ice for 2 out of 2 even strength goals and he was on the ice for one short handed goal. Latendresse needs to be in the press box. I also noticed that the 2nd line has been a total mess without a center. It was the first game of the series that the 3rd line of Smoke, Begin and Kostopolous had a bad game. It was the first game that Price was not great. The 1st line is getting shutdown and the refs are blind to the holding, interference and roughing penalties that this line is forced to endure.

It is time that Koivu be in the lineup. It is time that Lats be out of the lineup. It is time that Stewart be inserted into the lineup. It is time to put Dandenault in the press box. And it is time to either put Grabs or Chips onto the 4th line with the possibility for Carbo to try lots of line combinations if the players are not getting scoring chances.

As for Streit. If he can play have him play the PP only. Put Ryder in the press box to make room for Streit. I like Streit but had a very good season mainly on the PP.

And I agree. Why are we playing the Bruins game? This is the highest scoring team in the NHL. Play like it.

Guest Hoyle00cdn

I'm a little reluctant to praise the Bruins or Julian myself. And that's not because I'm a Habs fan.

Price had a mental let down after that mistake he made and couldn't seem to recover. If that mistake never happened the game would have more then likely looked way different by the end. Hopefully the veterans give him words of advice. If I recall correctly, Price blew a gasget last year in the AHL playoffs, and his rebound game was top notch.

As for the Bruins and Julian. Julian isn't doing anything amazing in my opinion. He's simply exploiting Montreal's biggest weakness right now; the lack of a second line center (Koivu). This isn't so much coaching brilliance, as it is common sense. Forgetting I'm a Montreal fan, let's try to just break down what the Bruins are doing. Boston has been concentrating their best checkers and defenders against the Kovalev line. Every time that line is on the ice, Lucic, Chara and usually Ference are on the ice. In fact I guarantee you, if you look for this next game, you'll see it almost every time (especially since Boston will have the last line change). The PP is the same thing. Boston's PK1 is stacked while their PK2 is pretty watered down.

The reason they can get away with this is because Montreal's second scoring line and PP2 line are completely lost on the ice. Higgin's simply can't lead the center position and Sergei Kostitsyn is too young to demand leadership. Everyone on Montreal's second scoring line is being forced into roles they simply can't handle. Higgins is being force to be a playmaker, when he's really only a sniper. Sergei Kostitsyn is expected to be a sniper when he's really just a rookie who performs best under the wing of stronger linemakes; and the third winger (who has changed from game to game) isn't really a second line winger to begin with. Koivu's injury is being felt hard and bad in this series. If he was in the lineup, Boston would have to at least pay more concern to both of Montreal's scoring lines instead of just Kovalev's....

To demonstrate what I mean.

Game 1: 3 of Montreal's 4 goals were spread out among their 2nd, 3rd, and 4th lines.

Game 2: 2 of Montreal's 3 goals were scored outside the 1st line.

Game 3: Montreal's only goal was scored by the 3rd line.

Game 4: Montreal's only goal was scored by their PP2 line

To me, it just seems pretty clear where Boston's focus lies, and its not on Montreal's secondary or tirciery scoring. If Koivu was health,

Boston's strategy would possibly be exploited, or they'd at least have to pay more attention outside the Kovalev line; which would in turn give Kovalev's line more room to breathe.

Those are my thoughts on the series.

Guest Habby67

Every once in a while they show their true deficiencies. They lack a killer instinct and slack off when they get a lead and I am still convinced they need a young power forward but at this stage of the game they have to play with what they have. This game will be a test for their resilency. For once they have to come out and play MAD because they should be upset how they let the Bruins back in this series. If they dont play the next game with with some serious determination they will find themselves on the outside looking in.....

Guest hablover
Series Discussion? Montrealers panic too much... remember we just need to play one good game... heck even one average game with Carey standing on his head... they need to play 2 perfect games... I like our chance.

its so true....we do panic too much and i'm guilty of it too

It's tough though to see your team not playing to full potential and having this hard of time to beat a team that we man-handled during the season.

Your right, we still are in good shape to win this thing....but we have to come out and play some really good hockey...

Guest jeff33
First off. HOPING that Price could get a shutout after Kovalev got Montreal the 1-0 lead is the biggest reason Montreal lost last night. I thought Montreal played simply terrible. I can only remember TWO scoring chances for Montreal in the entire game. It is unrealistic to expect Price to get back-to-back shutouts ESPECIALLY while taking stupid penalties. Eventually the Boston PP would score and they did score twice last night. Neither goal was Price's fault.

We need Koivu to center the 2nd line and to provide leadership. The 2nd line has been pretty much a waste of ice time. I blame Carbo for this. He should have put Smoke, Grabs, or Chips at center on the 2nd line. It was a big mistake to think that Sergei or Higgins could play center. They are wingers.

2nd Boston goal. Which ended up being the game winner. The ref should have blown the whistle AND Price should not have tried to move the puck. But lets assume mistakes happen and in this case it was Price's first mistake in the playoffs. His teammates did not even put any serious pressure let alone score on Thomas to help the kid out. This is not how a TEAM is supposed to react.

Goal #1 and #3 where on PP. I think the refs have allowed Chara to manhandle the Canadiens. I guess they figure he is huge so when he uses his free hand to hold or rough up a Canadien player that this is okay. *****. First goal was after Komi blocked a shot and Carey could not cover the next shot. Third goal was deflected by Smoke and could have been deflected by wide open Bruin in front of Price. Not Price fault.

Goal #4. Short handed goal. Big time shot. TERRIBLE defence. I honestly do not think any goalie could stop this shot.

Final goal. Bad goal. But you could tell by watching the game that Price was not in the game anymore. The final goal did not matter.

What I did see by watching the game and looking at the game report. Lats was on the ice for 2 out of 2 even strength goals and he was on the ice for one short handed goal. Latendresse needs to be in the press box. I also noticed that the 2nd line has been a total mess without a center. It was the first game of the series that the 3rd line of Smoke, Begin and Kostopolous had a bad game. It was the first game that Price was not great. The 1st line is getting shutdown and the refs are blind to the holding, interference and roughing penalties that this line is forced to endure.

It is time that Koivu be in the lineup. It is time that Lats be out of the lineup. It is time that Stewart be inserted into the lineup. It is time to put Dandenault in the press box. And it is time to either put Grabs or Chips onto the 4th line with the possibility for Carbo to try lots of line combinations if the players are not getting scoring chances.

As for Streit. If he can play have him play the PP only. Put Ryder in the press box to make room for Streit. I like Streit but had a very good season mainly on the PP.

And I agree. Why are we playing the Bruins game? This is the highest scoring team in the NHL. Play like it.

excellent excellent post. great points

Guest Innis_Mor
Whether the Canadiens win or lose this series (and I believe they will win) they have already exceeded my expectations for this season and I am very happy.

Way back in September I believed the Canadiens would scrape into the playoffs, either in the 7th or 8th spot to eventually be eliminated probably in the first round. Of course, they did not only made the playoffs they managed to earn the first seed.

As well, win or lose I hope Bob Gainey sticks to his plan in building this hockey club.

Although I would love to see the Canadiens win the Cup this year it is not my priority as a fan.

I want to see the Canadiens become like the Red Wings, the Devils or the Canadiens of the mid-80s to the early 90s.

That is a team that is a lock to make the playoffs out of the gate every season. A team that once it gets there is a contender for the Cup every time. A team that if it misses the playoffs or even comes close to missing them the hockey world is shaken to its core. A team that is respected and feared and has a chance of winning a game any given night, regardless of its opponent.

What I do not want to see is a Canadiens team like Tampa Bay or Carolina. A one hit wonder that has a Cinderella playoffs and then fades into mediocrity for the next half-dozen seasons.

If Bob Gainey builds the former the Cups will come. They will not come every year but the Canadiens will be contenders every year and if they can put together a good playoff run after a good season they have as much chance of winning a Cup as any other team.

Thankfully, Bob Gainey is only one of about 5 or 6 GMs who has the smarts and the guts to build just such a hockey team and he was building just such a team before these playoffs began. I hope that the lack lustre play we have seen the last four games does not throw him off his plan.

If for the next dozen seasons I can find myself celebrating a Cup or two or three, find myself POed at them being elimintated from the post-season but not being too concerned about whether they will make the playoffs then I will be very happy and I will not care what happens in the next week.

I believe this season we saw the Canadiens turn a corner into long term respectability and I hope the results of these playoffs, whether they are good or bad, will not derail that progress.

Great post. I liked it. All of it. Thanks, BG (again)!

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/Hockey/article/416186

Habs' woes began when skating ended

Apr 19, 2008 04:30 AM

Damien Cox

It was a gesture of frustration. Of utter exasperation, really.

Early in the third period of Game 5 between the Montreal Canadiens and Boston Bruins on Thursday night, the Habs were on the power play when defenceman Andrei Markov carried the puck in the Boston zone from the blue line to the sideboards, then took a couple of steps towards the slot, then backed off again to the boards.

At that point, Markov raised his left arm in the air as if to say, "C'mon guys, do something."

It was the most vivid piece of evidence yet that the powerful Montreal power play has become almost static. Little movement. Little effort to win puck battles. None of the quick passing that once opened shooting lanes big enough to fit Frank Thomas.

Only twice has the Habs' power play struck successfully in the series. In general, the Montreal attack has dried up, with the memories of the brilliant start to the series, with goals by each of the Kostitsyn brothers in the opening 2:02 of Game 1, a stark contrast to most of which has followed.

What's hard to say is whether the Habs have done it to themselves, or whether Bruin checking and defensive tactics have driven the Montrealers into uncertainty and confusion. Since those four goals in Game 1, the Habs have scored six more since, including two in the last 164 minutes and change.

Alex Kovalev has been the best Montreal forward in the series, while grinder Tom Kostopoulos may have been the next best. There have been glimpses of others here and there, but the most glaring absence has been the inability of centres Tomas Plekanec and Chris Higgins to generate very much at all up the middle.

That, needless to say, is a Montreal weakness, a lack of size and strength at centre. Saku Koivu might return for Game 6 tonight in Boston to add some experience and leadership, but Koivu's not a big man either and his 56-point season wasn't one of his most prolific.

Plekanec has two assists in the series and has accused himself of "playing like a girl."

Actually, if he was performing a little more like Hayley Wickenheiser, the Habs would be better off.

Higgins, at least, has somewhat of an excuse, for he isn't a natural centre. Skating between Sergei Kostitsyn and Mike Ryder for the most part, Higgins hasn't been that creative element needed at centre.

Of course, you also have to give credit to a Boston blue line group that is mostly big and physical, featuring Zdeno Chara, who has gotten meaner as the series has progressed.

Boxers who take a lot of body shots lose their legs first. Likewise, the Habs haven't been the same skating team in the past two games that they were in the regular season and at the start of this series, which means gradually the competition has become more familiar and comfortable for the Bruins.

In turn, the Montreal power play has slowed as well, leading to the frustration expressed by Markov in Game 5.

Can the Habs fix it? Well, the return of Koivu might help, and Guy Carbonneau could shuffle his lines a bit, or even insert speedy Mikhael Grabovski. Without injured defenceman Mark Streit, the Habs are missing an underrated, smart and mobile blueliner.

Puck movement can replace lost team speed, but it requires confidence and cohesiveness, both of which seem to have gone missing from the Montreal attack.

Kovalev's goal in Game 5 was essentially a solo effort, rather than the result of a succession of quick passes. Patrice Brisebois, for goodness sakes, has more goals than seven Montreal forwards.

To end this series tonight, or to survive it, the Habs need to find their hands, or even better, their legs.

How does that saying go, I think it's something like this "Hard work will beat talent when talent doesn't work hard"

Wake up boys, enough toying around with the Bruins.

My thoughts exactly:

I agree with most of what you're saying here with the exception of one thing. Boston is out-working us, out-hustling, winning the one-on-one battles. With the exception of game one, it's like they want it more than we do. We have a much better team than theirs but as my old signature quote read:

"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard!"

Lucky No. 6?:

Tomorrow night’s (tonight's) showdown will mark the 11th time a series between the Canadiens and Bruins has gone to at least six games. So far, the Habs boast an 8-2 mark in Game 6 against the Bruins, with Boston having yet to ever force a seventh game versus Montreal when trailing 3-2 in a series. The Canadiens are also coming off consecutive Game 6 wins over the Bruins, having eliminated the Bruins in six in 2002 and having won Game 6 in 2004 en route to their historic comeback from 3-1 down to sink the B’s in seven.

Canadiens.com

Guest 77Bourque77
PP.png

I haven't seen Montreal's PP do this once all series. It was a staple play in the regular season.

im pretty sure they have tried it, but like in Regis post above(the article, the section that is bold) no on is moving on the PP. and its sad to see markov have to stop and show people to get moving.

Guest Innis_Mor
PP.png

I haven't seen Montreal's PP do this once all series. It was a staple play in the regular season.

And you won't see it, as it is not available. Julien is giving up the point shot, in order to take this play away, by collapsing the PK forwards.

The Habs have two options on the PP:

• let loose from the point and go for goal, deflections and rebounds
  • work the puck down low, put the puck in front and whack away (lots of bodies from both teams)
It ain't as pretty, but you gotta take what they give you.

Guest Innis_Mor
http://www.thestar.com/Sports/Hockey/article/416186

Habs' woes began when skating ended

Apr 19, 2008 04:30 AM

Damien Cox

It was a gesture of frustration. Of utter exasperation, really.

Early in the third period of Game 5 between the Montreal Canadiens and Boston Bruins on Thursday night, the Habs were on the power play when defenceman Andrei Markov carried the puck in the Boston zone from the blue line to the sideboards, then took a couple of steps towards the slot, then backed off again to the boards.

At that point, Markov raised his left arm in the air as if to say, "C'mon guys, do something."

It was the most vivid piece of evidence yet that the powerful Montreal power play has become almost static. Little movement. Little effort to win puck battles. None of the quick passing that once opened shooting lanes big enough to fit Frank Thomas.

Only twice has the Habs' power play struck successfully in the series. In general, the Montreal attack has dried up, with the memories of the brilliant start to the series, with goals by each of the Kostitsyn brothers in the opening 2:02 of Game 1, a stark contrast to most of which has followed.

What's hard to say is whether the Habs have done it to themselves, or whether Bruin checking and defensive tactics have driven the Montrealers into uncertainty and confusion. Since those four goals in Game 1, the Habs have scored six more since, including two in the last 164 minutes and change.

Alex Kovalev has been the best Montreal forward in the series, while grinder Tom Kostopoulos may have been the next best. There have been glimpses of others here and there, but the most glaring absence has been the inability of centres Tomas Plekanec and Chris Higgins to generate very much at all up the middle.

That, needless to say, is a Montreal weakness, a lack of size and strength at centre. Saku Koivu might return for Game 6 tonight in Boston to add some experience and leadership, but Koivu's not a big man either and his 56-point season wasn't one of his most prolific.

Plekanec has two assists in the series and has accused himself of "playing like a girl."

Actually, if he was performing a little more like Hayley Wickenheiser, the Habs would be better off.

Higgins, at least, has somewhat of an excuse, for he isn't a natural centre. Skating between Sergei Kostitsyn and Mike Ryder for the most part, Higgins hasn't been that creative element needed at centre.

Of course, you also have to give credit to a Boston blue line group that is mostly big and physical, featuring Zdeno Chara, who has gotten meaner as the series has progressed.

Boxers who take a lot of body shots lose their legs first. Likewise, the Habs haven't been the same skating team in the past two games that they were in the regular season and at the start of this series, which means gradually the competition has become more familiar and comfortable for the Bruins.

In turn, the Montreal power play has slowed as well, leading to the frustration expressed by Markov in Game 5.

Can the Habs fix it? Well, the return of Koivu might help, and Guy Carbonneau could shuffle his lines a bit, or even insert speedy Mikhael Grabovski. Without injured defenceman Mark Streit, the Habs are missing an underrated, smart and mobile blueliner.

Puck movement can replace lost team speed, but it requires confidence and cohesiveness, both of which seem to have gone missing from the Montreal attack.

Kovalev's goal in Game 5 was essentially a solo effort, rather than the result of a succession of quick passes. Patrice Brisebois, for goodness sakes, has more goals than seven Montreal forwards.

To end this series tonight, or to survive it, the Habs need to find their hands, or even better, their legs.

Either Cox and I think very much alike, or he's been on here reading all my posts. :P

(Again, Habs are not playing well because they overly concerned about hitting and not getting hit, and not concerned enough about skating and going and getting the puck.)

Guest overlords
And you won't see it, as it is not available. Julien is giving up the point shot, in order to take this play away, by collapsing the PK forwards.

The Habs have two options on the PP:

• let loose from the point and go for goal, deflections and rebounds
  • work the puck down low, put the puck in front and whack away (lots of bodies from both teams)
It ain't as pretty, but you gotta take what they give you.

exactly why our grinder line is doing so well, they're not afraid of getting in close and taking wacks at it. And how many goals have come from brisebois taking a shot from the point and the rebound being shot in? Good analysis.

Guest Hoyle00cdn
exactly why our grinder line is doing so well, they're not afraid of getting in close and taking wacks at it. And how many goals have come from brisebois taking a shot from the point and the rebound being shot in? Good analysis.

Our Grinding lines are doing so well, because Boston has no depth to their team. They've taken an already weak back lineup, and made it even weaker by stacking their top defenders against Kovalev's line. I'm telling you, the weakest part of Boston right now is their PK2 line, it sucks so bad but Julien simply doesn't worry about it, because Montreal's PP2 line is clueless out there.

WE NEED TO BURY THEIR PK2 LINE!!!!!

Guest fansince1975

Game 5 was the first game in this series that Smoke, Kostopolous, and Begin were not a big factor. Lets hope they have a big game so we can put the Bruins out of the playoffs.

We should match up well against the Flyers in the next round. The Pens and Rangers might be an interesting series.

It is time that we do are part and stop messing around with the 8th place Bruins.

We need EVERY player to work hard. If Montreal puts up 60 minutes of great hockey we win EASILY. I could live with an easy victory. I would accept any victory but would prefer 6-1 victory.

Archived