• Montreal in 5
    • Montreal in 6
    • Montreal in 7
    • Boston in 4
    • Boston in 5
    • Boston in 6
    • Boston in 7

Guest rob2h

I heard Don Cherry make the comment on 9000 penalties against the Bruins and I feel there were a lot of bad calls and missed calls both ways.Montreal just caught the breaks at the right time.I'll take it.Boston takes bad penalties at the worst times.

On a side note the goaltending was great for both sides lastnight.

My dream scenario: we beat Boston, Pittsburgh beats Otttawa, Philly pulls off an upset and beats Washington, Rangers beat Jersey. In the second round, we get Philly, whom we've handled easily in the regular season, while Pittsburgh faces a tougher foe in New York, who will give them a better challenge than the pitiful showing Ottawa is currently putting up.

Guest Tampa Dave

I want the Habs to win the Cup, no doubt. But I would like to see the Canadiens play the Capitals for the Eastern Conference title because the media exposure to hockey will expand exponentially because of the present fascination the world has with Ovechkin and Washington. Under my thoughts, the Habs win the Cup and hockey wins via the extra media exposure.

Guest olddude
My dream scenario: we beat Boston, Pittsburgh beats Otttawa, Philly pulls off an upset and beats Washington, Rangers beat Jersey. In the second round, we get Philly, whom we've handled easily in the regular season, while Pittsburgh faces a tougher foe in New York, who will give them a better challenge than the pitiful showing Ottawa is currently putting up.

That's the way I would like to see it go as well. I'll just add that I would like to see all the other series go 7 tough games with multiple overtime periods. :D

That would be the ideal scenario for sure. Also hoping that Washington would bang up the Flyers in a grueling 7 games series, of course!

Guys i dont know where to post this but i am sick and tired of Don Cherry saying the same garbage over and over again about the habs. Here is a link to leave a comment to the CBC http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/hnic/coach..._because_o.html

There a thread about that in the section Around the League.

Guest halifax_habs
I want the Habs to win the Cup, no doubt. But I would like to see the Canadiens play the Capitals for the Eastern Conference title because the media exposure to hockey will expand exponentially because of the present fascination the world has with Ovechkin and Washington. Under my thoughts, the Habs win the Cup and hockey wins via the extra media exposure.

Similarly I'd like to see the Rangers do well. They're in the biggest American market and have the cache that Jersey and the Islanders lack. A solid playoff run might get some positive attention south of the border. I guess the dream Eastern final from NBC and NHL point of view might be either of Washington or Pittsburgh playing the Rangers.

Man though I totally have to agree that Ovehckin playing in Montreal in the playoffs would be phenomenal!

Looking at the schedule for the rest of the series, with this being the 3rd game in 4 nights...

Habsbruinsgame3.jpg

We better end this series early as there would be a lot of hockey in a few days. Rest is crucial at this time of year.

Guest bigsby

great article from a boston reporter talking about the bell atmosphere. gave me chills. the respect these two teams have for each other makes playing them that much more exciting (even if i hate them right now ;) ).

This rink gives you chills

In Montreal, they have the magic down cold

By Kevin Paul Dupont

the boston globe

personal highlight: "If only half the rinks in the Original 30 could tap into such excitement and passion, it would be the crack cocaine of the professional sports industry. We wouldn't be talking incessantly about changing the size of goalie gear, widening the nets, increasing goal scoring, whether to employ one referee or two, targeting the next team to move, wondering if the collective bargaining agreement will stay in place. The bigger issue would be how to build arenas for the 30,000 or 40,000 eager to pay to watch the games each night."(sorry if this is in the wrong thread. i wasn't sure where to post it)

Guest AbuZaid
I heard Don Cherry make the comment on 9000 penalties against the Bruins and I feel there were a lot of bad calls and missed calls both ways.Montreal just caught the breaks at the right time.I'll take it.Boston takes bad penalties at the worst times.

On a side note the goaltending was great for both sides lastnight.

Lol. A good team is that team that can overcome those penalties and still win. Don Should remember the regular season when Montreal would only get the very apparent calls and the refs would miss a WHOLE BUNCH of other penalties and The Habs would still win

Guest Innis_Mor
great article from a boston reporter talking about the bell atmosphere. gave me chills. the respect these two teams have for each other makes playing them that much more exciting (even if i hate them right now ;) ).

This rink gives you chills

In Montreal, they have the magic down cold

By Kevin Paul Dupont

the boston globe

personal highlight: "If only half the rinks in the Original 30 could tap into such excitement and passion, it would be the crack cocaine of the professional sports industry. We wouldn't be talking incessantly about changing the size of goalie gear, widening the nets, increasing goal scoring, whether to employ one referee or two, targeting the next team to move, wondering if the collective bargaining agreement will stay in place. The bigger issue would be how to build arenas for the 30,000 or 40,000 eager to pay to watch the games each night."(sorry if this is in the wrong thread. i wasn't sure where to post it)

Thanks, Bigs. That's at least two Boston media people who have been really impressed with the atmosphere.

I was intrigued and also impressed with this bit, near the end (Dupont speaking about improving the game):

No need to make the nets bigger. Let's try this to liven things up in the Original 30: After two periods, any forward who has yet to record a shot on net must be removed from the roster for the remainder of the game. That's right - come to shoot, or pull off that sweater after going 0 for 40 minutes. Many nights, the standard pack of 12 forwards would be reduced by 25 percent, if not more, leaving the outcome of the game to the guys who actually demonstrate an interest in putting pucks on net. Now, I will tell you, I e-mailed this idea to a longtime GM, and he immediately wrote back, "You are wasting your talents behind a typewriter."

Guest bigsby
Thanks, Bigs. That's at least two Boston media people who have been really impressed with the atmosphere.

I was intrigued and also impressed with this bit, near the end (Dupont speaking about improving the game):

No need to make the nets bigger. Let's try this to liven things up in the Original 30: After two periods, any forward who has yet to record a shot on net must be removed from the roster for the remainder of the game. That's right - come to shoot, or pull off that sweater after going 0 for 40 minutes. Many nights, the standard pack of 12 forwards would be reduced by 25 percent, if not more, leaving the outcome of the game to the guys who actually demonstrate an interest in putting pucks on net. Now, I will tell you, I e-mailed this idea to a longtime GM, and he immediately wrote back, "You are wasting your talents behind a typewriter."

no problem. :)

it's an interesting suggestion even if it doesn't seem too practical.

Looking at the schedule for the rest of the series, with this being the 3rd game in 4 nights...

Habsbruinsgame3.jpg

We better end this series early as there would be a lot of hockey in a few days. Rest is crucial at this time of year.

I have no idea why the schedule is so screwed up this year. Normally, if my memory serves me correctly, in the first round there are 2 Eastern and 2 Western games each night, with CBC carrying one early and one late and TSN carrying one early and one late (unless all 3 Canadian teams from a conference make it, in which case things get a bit screwed up). Teams play basically every second night, sometimes even have 2 nights off in a row, I don't remember teams playing more than 3 times in a week.

This year is so screwed up. You have some nights with 5 games, some with 3, you have Calgray-San Jose playing 2 games before Washington-Philly has played 1, you have back to back games, you never have more than one night off, th TV coverage is getting screwed up because there's more than 2 games at once, I have no idea what happened.

Guest fansince1975

I think Savard had a strong game on Saturday. Chara is likely hurt as he is not shotting on PP like normal. I think that Smoke, Kostopolous, and Begin should be assigned the job of shutting down Savard. He is the best player for the Bruins especially with Chara playing hurt. If we stop Savard we will make things a lot easier for Price. If we make things easier for Price the odds of Boston winning very slim.

I don't like the news about Bergeron being a game time decision according to TSN. How can a player that has missed months all of sudden be ready for the playoffs. Stupid move by Boston. But also unfair to Montreal players as they might not hit him like a normal player in fear of hurting him. Which gives him more time and space to make plays. However, if a Montreal player does injury Bergeron on a clean hit he will be a villian in the Montreal press as Bergeron is from Quebec. That is not fair. There are times when the NHL has to say enough is enough. The player has to be cleared by two physicians and then either take part in full practises or games in AHL before being allowed back from a serious concussion. A second concussion could end this player bright young career.

I know that Boston wants the energy from his return. The best way to end this buzz in the arena is for Montreal to get two quick goals like the first game.

Guest 1970 Habs

Eastern Conference: Habs win in OT to take Game 2

Why the Canadiens won: Where, oh where, should we begin in this case of the Habs and the Hab nots? Despite being outplayed throughout most of the first and third periods, Montreal relied on their bread and butter to get the job done. Guy Carbonneau's club promised to match Boston's physical play and finally did late in the first thanks to Steve Begin, who didn't factor on the score sheet but laid out Andrew Alberts to set up the Canadiens' transition game and first goal of the night. And in overtime, it was the league's best power play that finally capitalized on its eighth try after numerous chances. There was Patrice Brisebois hitting the post at the end of regulation, clearly beating goaltender Tim Thomas to the right top shelf only to find metal. Then it was Alex Kovalev, first at the 18:05 mark in overtime, on a shot stopped by Thomas going from his right side to his left, and then the eventual game-winner less than a minute later.

Why the Bruins lost: The Bruins lost all eight regular-season meetings against the Canadiens, but were 7-0-1 following those losses. The problem is, that one loss was in overtime to Montreal and, after Saturday, make that a pair. The Bruins came out and showed the resiliency they've showed all season long. Through the first 18 minutes of play, they won shifts, got shots, forced two early power plays and took a crowd of 21,000-plus out of the game. For Claude Juilien's club, having veterans Zdeno Chara and Aaron Ward on the same pairing made a big difference. Marc Stuart, like many of his young teammates, showed that the playoff jitters were a one-time thing. And in the third, down a pair, the Bruins were resilient battling back. Alex Kovalev could have very well been the goat, as he missed a one-on-one breakaway on Thomas and then got called for a slash along the far-side boards seconds later. A clearly frustrated Kovalev nearly cost Montreal as Marco Sturm set up David Krejci in front of the net to tie the game. But the Bruins had multiple chances to capitalize and couldn't — 39 shots on net and 1-for-6 on the man advantage. And Julien's decision to scratch a healthy Phil Kessel, one of the team's few offensive sparkplugs, seems suspicious, especially after Kessel had an assist on the team's only goal of Game 1.

Key play of the game: Kovalev's overtime winner was his first of these playoffs and his 38th-career playoff goal. Andrei Markov got the assist and drew a questionable tripping call on Jeremy Reich that set up the Montreal power play.

What's next: There isn't much time to regroup as Game 3 is less than 24 hours away. For the Bruins, TD Banknorth Garden will be a welcome sight, but unfortunately, the Canadiens are coming with them. As for Bruins fans? It might be time to break out a "We have baseball" chant. For Montreal, a sweep would leave them with a week of rest before a second-round matchup. It's not that we're leaving the Bruins dead in the water, but we'd like to see them win a game or even take a lead — something they haven't done in the first 10 meetings — before calling this a series.

Source: http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/8029820...-Habs-win-in-OT

You can sure tell in this article that Jake Duhaime on Fox Sports does not like the Habs.

Guest concreteveins
I think Savard had a strong game on Saturday. Chara is likely hurt as he is not shotting on PP like normal. I think that Smoke, Kostopolous, and Begin should be assigned the job of shutting down Savard. He is the best player for the Bruins especially with Chara playing hurt. If we stop Savard we will make things a lot easier for Price. If we make things easier for Price the odds of Boston winning very slim.

I don't like the news about Bergeron being a game time decision according to TSN. How can a player that has missed months all of sudden be ready for the playoffs. Stupid move by Boston. But also unfair to Montreal players as they might not hit him like a normal player in fear of hurting him. Which gives him more time and space to make plays. However, if a Montreal player does injury Bergeron on a clean hit he will be a villian in the Montreal press as Bergeron is from Quebec. That is not fair. There are times when the NHL has to say enough is enough. The player has to be cleared by two physicians and then either take part in full practises or games in AHL before being allowed back from a serious concussion. A second concussion could end this player bright young career.

I know that Boston wants the energy from his return. The best way to end this buzz in the arena is for Montreal to get two quick goals like the first game.

I dont think Bergeron will be back. I think the Bruins are using his injury hype as kind of a mental thing against the Habs and against Carbo. If it's a clean hit I don't think they will be ostricized.

Guest hablover
If the Bruins are indeed rushing Bergeron back, they're putting that young man's health at risk, and shame on them.

maybe they think it'll pump the team up...but yes i agree, not really putting his needs first....

Guest Lafleurfan2

I only have 1 thing to say since I was on vacation for a week and didn't see the hotel computer working im not

voting or making any predictions. But on the New York Yankees board they put something up for the hockey

playoffs I predicted we will win in 4 I also said the Rangers will win there serise in 4. Pittsburgh in 5 I think

the Caps flyers will be the longest caps in 7.

So im not making any predictions it's kind of late.

Guest Anetéchrist
maybe they think it'll pump the team up...but yes i agree, not really putting his needs first....

Who are we to say he's not ready ? If the Bruins docs clear him to play, I'd feel more like trusting them than fans, Habs fans for that matter. In any case, it is not likely to make any difference. Habs in 4.

Guest youppipwns

Boston in 4 [ 1 ] ** [1.00%]Boston in 5 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]Why would you even put that option lolwhat a lame call. me and graeme are the only one on the forum ? :o2 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)2 Members: youppipwns, Graeme

dangerous hit!. Should i even bother being herE?

Archived