• Montreal in 5
    • Montreal in 6
    • Montreal in 7
    • Boston in 4
    • Boston in 5
    • Boston in 6
    • Boston in 7

Guest Dedricthere

I'm listening to the media in the city and it seems like Milan lucic with 8 goals, 17 passes, 27 pts, -2 in 77 games is the greatest player the NHL has ever seen ! Whoo ooo !

Everything is always much better, tougher, cooler, etc. everywhere else.

I'm listening to the media in the city and it seems like Milan lucic with 8 goals, 17 passes, 27 pts, -2 in 77 games is the greatest player the NHL has ever seen ! Whoo ooo !

Two years ago it was Fernando Pisani ( Edmonton )

There is always oen guy who elevates his game beyond what is normal for him and we need someone to do that for the Habs

Guest 1337FREAK

Well, he has been one of (if not the) best player for Boston so far

Guest Rabid Habs fan

Yep i was one of the people that called the habs in 5 , In fact i figured the only game we would loose would be game 3 . Two games in twenty four hours , an emotional win in OT and Boston had to be better that they have been in a very long time if they wanted to avoid the sweep .I am taking my dad to game five and i hope it is in fact the clincher . ;)

GOT MY BEER ,MY CLUB TICKETS< MY PRICE JERSY AND A FULL TANK OF GAS

ONLY THREE MORE SLEEPS :blink:

OLAYYA OLAYYA OLAYAA OLYAAAAAA

GO HABS GO

Kert Rabid Habs Fan

Guest Innis_Mor
Grabo isn't the best at avoiding checks..
EXACTLY the Habs' problem the last two games (especially Game 3) -- the Hab players are spending far too much thought, energy and time on their shifts looking to avoid checks from the Bruins

Grabovski might not make it alive if he plays against boston... he's a player that can get just destroyed...you won't be seeing him in this series... vs any other team in the east... sure, but not boston...they're the most physical team in the conference and if a player gets a hold of him...
Hhmmmm..... this is sounding like the same issue the Hab players appear to have at the moment .... they think these are the Big Bad Bruins of old. After Chara and Lucic they are a rather small team, and they are not dirty, and they really do not throw their weight around much -- there's not that much there up front beyond Lucic, and the defense are slow. The last two games the Bruins have just been going to the puck that's all. They are committing to getting there first, taking their licks (when they need to) and coming away with the puck more often than not. Pretty much Hockey 101 when I played.

Grabovksi: 5'11" 177lbs compares with, for Boston:

• Krejci 6'0" 177lbs
  • Axellson 6'1" 188lbs
  • Metropolit 5'10" 193lbs (which I am a little circumspect on, but we'll grant him 190lbs+)
  • Nokelainnen 6'1" 191lbs
  • Savard 5'10" 191lbs (even funnier mis-quote on teh weight than Metro!); "Biggest, Baddest Bruin"
  • Sobotka 5'10" 183lbs
  • Bergeron and Kessel not playing, but similar sized forwards
(Note: I suspect these low 190's are more in the 180's)

Habs forwards are definitely already bigger that Bruins, before inserting Grabs.

The Bruins and Habs defense actually matches quite closely with exception of Chara (255) compared to Komisarek (240). Now, all season and Game 1, the Bruins continually demonstrated they can't keep up with Habs forwards, when the forwards decide to skate hard to the loose pucks and dump-ins, instead of "waiting for the next bus" (prime example the last couple of games would be Pleks; I think he is still in the bus shelter waiting: "Yeah, I'll grab the next one").

I keep hearing this stuff about the Big Bad Bruins of 2007-08 but I just don't see it. The last couple of games they simple decided they were going to get to the puck first, take their licks, and go from there. It's worked fairly well. Habs players (with the exception of Lapierre and Kostopolous) have generally decided not to go there. A very good example is Lucic's goal yesterday -- Gorges would not go to a loose-at-the boards puck when he was closer than Savard (191 lbs). Savard took the loose puck, passed it over to Lucic while Gorges contented himself with not having made a mistake with the puck (because he didn't have it), and Lucic scored on a nice shot.

The Habs will be fine as soon as they decide "to go to the puck". MiG54 can get there as fast as any of them, and I expect he'll be quite interested and vested in doing so. And with a team averaging about a goal or two a game the last two, Grabs getting to a puck first and doing something with it beats Dandy/Lats/Ryder/others skating up and down the ice accomplishing _ _ _ _-all.

As for others? Stewart? Sure! If he is going to be committed to getting to the puck first. Him too. That's all this team really needs against the Bruins; the Habs have more than enough talent to take it from there.

"... destroyed ..." ? :rolleyes::blink: It's a game of hockey for crying out loud: get to the puck quick, move the puck quick, score. It's not war (unless a player convinces themselves that's what it is, and foregoe the hockey part.) The Habs won 1st place in the Eastern Conference by skating, getting to the puck first, moving it, scoring. They can't be what they are not; and they won't win much in the play-offs if they try to become what they are not. They just have to get back to their game.

All I'd ask of MiG54 is if he is going to get to the puck first. If his answer is "yes", then he can dress. Someone has to get the puck.

Guest vegasrick

I voted Habs in five so sure I expected the Boo-ins to win one, but I didn't expect us to just hand it to them with weak, terrible play.....well, actually, maybe I did. They have been inconsistent like this all season. This same inconsistency will be the death of the Habs' postseason if they don't fix it. All they have to do is play like they did in game one. Games two and three are signs of a possible meltdown due to a team which does not even believe themselves that they can win. It's all in the mind.

Carbo may have gotten outchoached the past couple of games, but come on, the Habs finished the season as the Number One team in the entrire Eastern Conference, with the Number One Power Play and the most goals scored by any team. Don't tell me they can't just keep that up for a few more games.

The reason this team changes from an unbeatable opponent to a bag of marshmallows is all psychological. It's the same roster, for God's sake. The exact same players that went up 7-1 vs. Ottawa in two periods, and totally dominated Boston in game one with more physical play and better speed, are also the same players who looked like an under-.500 AHL team in games two and three. Missed passes, missed assignments, missed shots, missed breakaways, missed chances all over, a goose egg for a power play (except for the lucky deflection GW in game two)....holy moly! How is a very talented NHL team like this allowed to be this inconsistent?? The only reason it isn't 2-1 Bruins is Carey Price.

OK. so Boston upped their physical game a bit.....so can we. Anything they can do, we can do better. But one thing is for sure....the B's won't quit now. So the "unbeatable" Habs had better show up, or there will be another eighth-seed upset in round one. This series is far from over.

Guest GreekHockeyCoach
EXACTLY the Habs' problem the last two games (especially Game 3) -- the Hab players are spending far too much thought, energy and time on their shifts looking to avoid checks from the Bruins

Hhmmmm..... this is sounding like the same issue the Hab players appear to have at the moment .... they think these are the Big Bad Bruins of old. After Chara and Lucic they are a rather small team, and they are not dirty, and they really do not throw their weight around much -- there's not that much there up front beyond Lucic, and the defense are slow. The last two games the Bruins have just been going to the puck that's all. They are committing to getting there first, taking their licks (when they need to) and coming away with the puck more often than not. Pretty much Hockey 101 when I played.

Grabovksi: 5'11" 177lbs compares with, for Boston:

• Krejci 6'0" 177lbs
  • Axellson 6'1" 188lbs
  • Metropolit 5'10" 193lbs (which I am a little circumspect on, but we'll grant him 190lbs+)
  • Nokelainnen 6'1" 191lbs
  • Savard 5'10" 191lbs (even funnier mis-quote on teh weight than Metro!); "Biggest, Baddest Bruin"
  • Sobotka 5'10" 183lbs
  • Bergeron and Kessel not playing, but similar sized forwards
(Note: I suspect these low 190's are more in the 180's)

Habs forwards are definitely already bigger that Bruins, before inserting Grabs.

The Bruins and Habs defense actually matches quite closely with exception of Chara (255) compared to Komisarek (240). Now, all season and Game 1, the Bruins continually demonstrated they can't keep up with Habs forwards, when the forwards decide to skate hard to the loose pucks and dump-ins, instead of "waiting for the next bus" (prime example the last couple of games would be Pleks; I think he is still in the bus shelter waiting: "Yeah, I'll grab the next one").

I keep hearing this stuff about the Big Bad Bruins of 2007-08 but I just don't see it. The last couple of games they simple decided they were going to get to the puck first, take their licks, and go from there. It's worked fairly well. Habs players (with the exception of Lapierre and Kostopolous) have generally decided not to go there. A very good example is Lucic's goal yesterday -- Gorges would not go to a loose-at-the boards puck when he was closer than Savard (191 lbs). Savard took the loose puck, passed it over to Lucic while Gorges contented himself with not having made a mistake with the puck (because he didn't have it), and Lucic scored on a nice shot.

The Habs will be fine as soon as they decide "to go to the puck". MiG54 can get there as fast as any of them, and I expect he'll be quite interested and vested in doing so. And with a team averaging about a goal or two a game the last two, Grabs getting to a puck first and doing something with it beats Dandy/Lats/Ryder/others skating up and down the ice accomplishing _ _ _ _-all.

As for others? Stewart? Sure! If he is going to be committed to getting to the puck first. Him too. That's all this team really needs against the Bruins; the Habs have more than enough talent to take it from there.

"... destroyed ..." ? :rolleyes::blink: It's a game of hockey for crying out loud: get to the puck quick, move the puck quick, score. It's not war (unless a player convinces themselves that's what it is, and foregoe the hockey part.) The Habs won 1st place in the Eastern Conference by skating, getting to the puck first, moving it, scoring. They can't be what they are not; and they won't win much in the play-offs if they try to become what they are not. They just have to get back to their game.

All I'd ask of MiG54 is if he is going to get to the puck first. If his answer is "yes", then he can dress. Someone has to get the puck.

Excellent post, great analysis, I enjoyed reading it. I have nothing to add because I totally agree with what you say.

Guest mtl4thewin

I like the adjustments the team talked about today. Potentially putting Streit up front and O'Byrne in and Pleks recognizing he is playing like a "little girl". All true comments and we should expect adjustments to be made which will translate into a 5-2 win on Tuesday.

Guest TheFly

Guillaume Latendresse in his rookie season 16 goals 13 assists - 20 in 81 games, people still think he's the next Guy Lafleur.

Guest 1970 Habs

Habs seek offensive answers

"Some of the players need to realize that we're in the playoffs," Carbonneau said. "In the regular season, most of the time you have more room, plays are a little easier, you have more time to make plays. At playoff time, it's a little different. You have to leave a little bit of the skill and take a little more grit. (Plekanec) is not the only one. As a team we need a little more of that." Montreal's vaunted power play is a woeful 1-for-17 in the series, which is a testament to the work of Bruins coach Claude Julien and his staff making the necessary changes to a team that finished the regular season with the third-worst penalty killing numbers in the league.

The Canadiens certainly miss the presence of captain Saku Koivu, who normally centres the second unit but is out with a broken foot, and who has always been at his best in the playoffs. "What we miss with Saku is his experience," Carbonneau said. "His skill is always there, but in tough situations where you have a chance to close out a team by going on the power play, Saku's got the presence of mind sometimes to make plays that other players won't make."

Koivu was walking around at the TD Banknorth Garden on Sunday night with a plastic boot on his broken left foot and Carbonneau said he will definitely not suit up for Game 4. Koivu will undergo another set of X-rays on Wednesday, and if the fracture has healed sufficiently his situation will be re-assessed at that time. Plekanec wasn't buying the excuse that Koivu's absence has made it easier for the Bruins to focus on shutting down his line. "We definitely miss Saku, but I don't think that changes anything for myself or my line," he said. "We were the best line all year against them, we scored a lot of goals in those eight games in the regular season. We had to expect they would go after us. We didn't respond yet, but we will."

Changes to Montreal's lineup could be coming for the first time in the series. Injured defenceman Francis Bouillon skated on his injured right ankle Monday and Carbonneau said that if he feels all right after skating again Tuesday morning, he may play in Game 4. Carbonneau said hulking defenceman Ryan O'Byrne may also be brought in to give the Canadiens another physical weapon. The two teams combined for 71 hits in Game 3 on Sunday. Carbonneau said he will also consider moving Streit back up to forward. Neither the Bruins nor the Canadiens held a formal practice on Monday, with only the scratched players on either club taking the ice. Boston sniper Patrice Bergeron skated again as he attempts to return from the Grade 3 concussion he suffered Oct. 27. The Bruins say it remains unclear whether he will play in the series.

Source: http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid=36046...mp;service=page

Guest The Anti-Senator

I guess tomorrow night we will see which Montreal Canadiens team shows up.

If it is the team that dominated the Bruins during the regular season and Game One by outskating them then the Canadiens will win in 5.

However, if it is the Canadiens that have showed up for the last two games, which just happens to be the same team that played during their little slump in November, then this series could go to 7 games with the outcome in serious doubt.

The team seems to be saying all of the right things today but we will have to see if they translate those words into actions.

Our bread and butter has been our PP all season long and right now, it's not producing. What this does is it allows the Bruins to take penalties and liberties against us, which they couldn't do during the regular season. If we can score a couple of goals on the PP early on, they will soon be walking on egg shells again and we will carry the play once again. We need our best players to be our best players on the PP. We need Andrei, Pleks and Streit to start doing something in this series and we'll be fine. But boy do we miss Koivu on that second PP unit!

Our bread and butter has been our PP all season long and right now, it's not producing. What this does is it allows the Bruins to take penalties and liberties against us, which they couldn't do during the regular season. If we can score a couple of goals on the PP early on, they will soon be walking on egg shells again and we will carry the play once again. We need our best players to be our best players on the PP. We need Andrei, Pleks and Streit to start doing something in this series and we'll be fine. But boy do we miss Koivu on that second PP unit!

That's a good point. It's not just the PP goals themselves, but we've lost our PP acting as a deterent. It looked like the first game the Bruins were afraid to get too physical, possibly because Julien made it clear to avoid the box at all costs. When you have a 25% getting scored against and close to 0% scoring yourself in those 2 minutes, it's a good deterrent. But now, if they take a penalty, all it really does is burn 2 minutes off the clock.

Guest GoHabsGo57

I predicted before Game 1:

Game 1: Habs win

Game 2: Habs win

Game 3: Boston wins

I also predicted Habs wins in Game 4 and 5 and I'm sticking with my pre-Playoff prediction.

Guest fansince1975
That's a good point. It's not just the PP goals themselves, but we've lost our PP acting as a deterent. It looked like the first game the Bruins were afraid to get too physical, possibly because Julien made it clear to avoid the box at all costs. When you have a 25% getting scored against and close to 0% scoring yourself in those 2 minutes, it's a good deterrent. But now, if they take a penalty, all it really does is burn 2 minutes off the clock.

The PP has been so bad compared to normal. Maybe put the Smoke, Begin, and Kostopolous line out for 30 seconds at the beginning of the PP. They might at worst gets some hits on Ward and Chara making it easier for Kovalev, Pleks, and Andrei to do their stuff on the remaining 90 seconds. They also might score. Might be worth having Sergei on the point making some passes to Kosto and Smoke.

We need Koivu. Until then we need to figure how to score on PP. When that happens as you said. The Bruins will be afraid to be too physical as the penalties actually hurt.

I predicted before Game 1:

Game 1: Habs win

Game 2: Habs win

Game 3: Boston wins

I also predicted Habs wins in Game 4 and 5 and I'm sticking with my pre-Playoff prediction.

I also thought we'd take it in 5 (I didn't predict which game it would be though), so they've had their one, now let's take the series :D

Guest I_Love_Cougars

The last 2 games have scared me as Julien seems to be out-coaching our boy Carbo.

For game 4, I definitely would expect to see O'Byrne on D, Streit up front, and Dandy in the press box. Higgins is playing with serious heart, and even Ryder is showing flashes of his 06-07 self at times. Price hasn't been phased all series... he's just as cool and confident as ever.

After the night off I expect to see the boys get back to their old form after the game 3 wake-up, and possibly an 8-1 blowout like early this season?! Call me crazy!?

Guest hablover
The last 2 games have scared me as Julien seems to be out-coaching our boy Carbo.

For game 4, I definitely would expect to see O'Byrne on D, Streit up front, and Dandy in the press box. Higgins is playing with serious heart, and even Ryder is showing flashes of his 06-07 self at times. Price hasn't been phased all series... he's just as cool and confident as ever.

After the night off I expect to see the boys get back to their old form after the game 3 wake-up, and possibly an 8-1 blowout like early this season?! Call me crazy!?

I agree, it does seem that we are getting outcoached and we need to put O'Byrne in. I like the way Dandy has been playing, why bench him....bench Breezer.

I doubt that we will win that big; I'm calling another nailbiter 3-2....

Guest Innis_Mor
I like the way Dandy has been playing,
I can't say I disagree. He's actually playing "his" game fairly well. But the Habs have enough non-impact guys skating up and down the ice accomplishing just a little (Dandy, Lats), even though have some of those pluggers are playing great and leading the team in scoring (Kosto, Smoli)! :blink:

The Habs need an offensively gifted player to address Koivu being missing. Grabs is all that is in the press box to call upon. It would also send a mesaage to the other 5-6 players that are currently in the line-up that should be scoring ("have to bring someone in to try and do what you guys aren't getting done."). Carbo didn't do it for Game 3, and got the same the same offensive output from the 5-6 as in Game 2. He's not doing it now for Game 4, and well, we'll have to wait and see what the result is tonight.

At least Pleks was acknowledging his play yesterday ("Playing like a little girl" = "I'll take the next bus"). That's a good sign from him.

Guest old-time Habs fan
I guess tomorrow night we will see which Montreal Canadiens team shows up.

If it is the team that dominated the Bruins during the regular season and Game One by outskating them then the Canadiens will win in 5.

However, if it is the Canadiens that have showed up for the last two games, which just happens to be the same team that played during their little slump in November, then this series could go to 7 games with the outcome in serious doubt.

The team seems to be saying all of the right things today but we will have to see if they translate those words into actions.

A hungry Bruin is hard to tame,

especially if he's on his game;

make no mistake, he'll chances take,

until he makes his claim to fame!

He surely craved the crazy eight,

but barely made it through the gate;

but that deters not his intent,

and he'll not stop 'til he's content!

So, bear with me, a moment, here,

while words of caution, I will share;

the rule of Julien must be broke,

or else, the last word, he'll have spoke!

Don't take for granted previous wins,

or we'll be sorry for our sins;

the team we've iced was out-classed twice,

and should have lost, except for Price!

HUSTLE HABS!

Guest jennifer_rocket

Crucial game in the series tonight. :mellow:

If Montreal loses, Boston has ALL of the momentum heading back to the Bell Centre where luck, and not effort saved us in game 2. To lose tonight could de very detrimental to our post-season hopes.

If Montreal wins, the series is all but finished heading back to the Bell. Montreal will carry a monumental amount of energy with them to Montreal, and hopefully the top line can start putting up some points!

Guest LarryRobinson

Im interested to see what if anything changes on our PP. We have become a bit reliant on running the PP through Kovalev on the side wall. The B's have been collapsing and closing down the lanes leaving Kovy dancing around on the side. This obviously leaves open the point shot. I'd like to see some point shots on net (we missed the net constantly in game 3) and a little less of Kovy dancing. The tic-tac-toe plays that we excelled at during the regular season are not going to happen. We need some screens and some rebound goals if you ask me.

Archived