The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Canadian Seal Hunt

Guest habs fan #1

I was wondering how many members on this forum has heard Stories about our East Coast Seal Hunt and would like to get Members views on our hunt. Newfoundlanders, Cape Bretoners, and the Quebecers from Iles de Magdeline and the South shore all take too the Ice floes to try and earn a living to support their families and I want too see how many members have been misinformed about our hunt. The HSUS and other groups portray our hunt as Barbaric and unhumane and that we kill whitecoats. Fact is the Last whitecoat killed by a sealer was in the early 80's and hasn't happened since. If all members could just give their thoughts or stories of how maybe they have been misinformed I would like to hear because although I am a Heavy Equipment Operator I used to be a Captain and still Skippers a vessel for Fisherman who are not fortunate enough to have another means of earning a living.

Thank You

Newfoundland Sealer

Guest Iceman1509

If they weren't cute, no one would care. I find it especially odd that people are bothered more by our seal hunt then by the millions of cattle and pigs that are slaughtered each year and sold in stores.

"The killing of innocent animals is wrong and I'm going to do something about it as soon as I am done my Wendy's Baconator"

Oh btw, I am not against eating meat, just hipocrites.

Guest nsminc

Of course I wouldn't like watching seals getting clubbed but people come first.

From what I understand the seal hunt is brings in about 17 million dollars.So maybe BILLIONAIRE Paul McCartney

could set aside roughly half a billion then the interest that's being collected could go to the sealers and thus end the hunt.

Anyways that's just me.

Guest LarryRobinson
I was wondering how many members on this forum has heard Stories about our East Coast Seal Hunt and would like to get Members views on our hunt. Newfoundlanders, Cape Bretoners, and the Quebecers from Iles de Magdeline and the South shore all take too the Ice floes to try and earn a living to support their families and I want too see how many members have been misinformed about our hunt. The HSUS and other groups portray our hunt as Barbaric and unhumane and that we kill whitecoats. Fact is the Last whitecoat killed by a sealer was in the early 80's and hasn't happened since. If all members could just give their thoughts or stories of how maybe they have been misinformed I would like to hear because although I am a Heavy Equipment Operator I used to be a Captain and still Skippers a vessel for Fisherman who are not fortunate enough to have another means of earning a living.

Thank You

Newfoundland Sealer

Generally in the US your members suffer from an extreme misinformation campaign brought about by everyone from Oprah to Greenpeace. The general propoganda Ive seen tends to be 1) a picture of a whitecoat pup followed by (2) another picture of a non-white coat seal with its head bashed in. It is unfortunate, and in some respects I'd look to your national government to shoulder some responsibility in trying to legitimize the industry in the eyes of foreigners.

I admittedly am not a fan of clubbing defenseless seals, but I understand the value they bring to the hunters. I dont support the killing of wild animals, nor will I criticize your industry as I understand that it is the only source of a living for certain individuals. Hopefully, I middle ground will be reached, I condone it based only on 'necessity', if it were nt necessary I'd be very much opposed i.e. the Japanese Whaling Industry.

As to analogies to cows and pigs, they dont work folks. Cows and pigs are raised to be killed. Whatever ethical objections you have to that are certainly legitimate, but its different from going out and killing wild animals.

The whitecoats may not be killed, but other baby seals are. I don't know seals or wildlife well at all, so could someone who knows biology better than me answer this: what is seals family habits with babies. Like I know there's different levels in the wild, from mothers abandoning the babies right away, to bears who protect their cubs mostly instinctively, to dolphins/whales who will actually react like humans do to losing family members (crying, etc.). I'm not sure where seals fit in here, but I was under the impression that pups and their mothers are very close? This is one area wher I'm a bit concerned.

Another is that most of this is for fur, which I consider less necessary than meat. Technically you can live without fur or meat, but I guess it's just my personal opinion that meat is more important and harder to cut out than fur. Also just because someone eats meat does not mean they agree with how the animals were raised and killed. Personally, I'd gladly pay more for the relatively limited amount of meat that I eat if it means the animals can be treated more humanely. I try to purchase both chicken and eggs from free range farms, but the problem is a lot of meat you have no idea where it comes from.

Guest TheHammer

Strange that Oprah Winfrey get's all kind's of publicity for opening school's in Africa,but she hasn't said anything about the African seal hunt that run's from July-November in Namibia.No ice floe's there.They just club them on the beach.

Guest LarryRobinson
Another is that most of this is for fur, which I consider less necessary than meat. Technically you can live without fur or meat, but I guess it's just my personal opinion that meat is more important and harder to cut out than fur.

Yea I agree, its definitely not as necessary considering its a fur trade that sparks these hunts. I guess my condoning of this stems partially from my belief, which might be wrong, that the people who do these hunts really have no other means of sustenance. Im imagining rather lower class villagers with little opportunities. I am assuming alot here and really dont know the demographics of seal hunters, but its not like rich CEOs from Toronto go on 'trips' to joyfully bash in seals. These people have the hunts or they nothing. Am I right? because if not I'd be even less approving.

Strange that Oprah Winfrey get's all kind's of publicity for opening school's in Africa,but she hasn't said anything about the African seal hunt that run's from July-November in Namibia.No ice floe's there.They just club them on the beach.

If you want to start equating the civility of Canada and Namibia, go right ahead but from an American's standpoint I think you are embarrassing most Canadians with that analogy. Also, these mentions of other countries killing animals or millionares like Paul McCartney hording money that could go to the seal hunters in Canada are pure excuses that deflect the responsibility away from the situation. You can always point to somewhere else or somebody else to make the facts more favorable for you.

Are there double standards in the way a Western society views other countries? Absolutely. Bringing up Namibia is a nice fact, but lets face it Canada is a western nation that holds itself up as a dignified society. There are hundreds of comparable and much more vile deeds done in other supposedly dignified nations, but two wrongs dont make it right is I guess my point here. Stop looking at Namibia to justify the actions of Canadian citizens. As for Oprah, your point can be summed up quite accurately that she is an inconsistent, poor provider of current events. Unfortunately, its who American moms listen to.

Guest TheHammer

I don't support either hunt.I just find it strange,that she as well as the other celebritie's,never mention the African seal hunt.They never have a problem bashing Canadian's in the media.

Guest Bobineau

Thank You

Newfoundland Sealer

Seals are killed and stripped of their fur and penises to produce fashion garments and aphrodisiacs. Am I misinformed?

Guest 1970 Habs

One argument for the necessity of a seal hunt use to be that they were depleting the fish stocks thereby competing with the East coast fishermen.

What is interesting is the Federal Fisheries has gutted the East Coast Fishery because the Fish stocks just are not there to sustain the fishermen; yet seals are multiplying like rabbits.

Makes one wonder what their food source is and whetehr the Federal Fisheries is more concerned with leaving the fish availble for the numerous Foreign Factory Trawlers that exploit the East Coast.

You could stretch this topic to include people who hunt deer or any other wild animals too that do not need to; those people in Canada who still trap them for furs for example - but I digress.

As for the seal hunt where would it be if the rich and famous world wide did not create a market for the fur. I am somewhat circumspect when I see celebrities complaining about these types things when many waste more money on frivolous things than the average person does/could in a lifetime.

I wonder how these celebrities would fare in Newfoundland for a year or two having to eek out a living on the rock. :blink:

Guest habs_fan1160

I don't think it's so much being ill informed on the Canadian Seal Hunt.

We learned all about it in school and whatnot.

I just don't agree with it because it seems cruel. I'm not into slaughter animals in a brutal way. I think there's got to be something better for these seal hunters to do to fill out their days.

Guest habs fan #1
The whitecoats may not be killed, but other baby seals are. I don't know seals or wildlife well at all, so could someone who knows biology better than me answer this: what is seals family habits with babies. Like I know there's different levels in the wild, from mothers abandoning the babies right away, to bears who protect their cubs mostly instinctively, to dolphins/whales who will actually react like humans do to losing family members (crying, etc.). I'm not sure where seals fit in here, but I was under the impression that pups and their mothers are very close? This is one area wher I'm a bit concerned.

Another is that most of this is for fur, which I consider less necessary than meat. Technically you can live without fur or meat, but I guess it's just my personal opinion that meat is more important and harder to cut out than fur. Also just because someone eats meat does not mean they agree with how the animals were raised and killed. Personally, I'd gladly pay more for the relatively limited amount of meat that I eat if it means the animals can be treated more humanely. I try to purchase both chicken and eggs from free range farms, but the problem is a lot of meat you have no idea where it comes from.

I would like to say I have been a sealer for about 8 Years and I have never Clubbed a seal.

Also Mother seals desert their pups at 12 days old because by this time they can hunt and swim on their own.

Once again you have been misinformed about this.

They are not hunted for fur alone we sell the Flippers where most of the seal meat is concentrated.

We don't sell the rest of the carcass because you would get more meat off a Chicken wing.

Thanks for responding by the way.

Guest habs fan #1
Seals are killed and stripped of their fur and penises to produce fashion garments and aphrodisiacs. Am I misinformed?

Misinformed you are like I said above we take the Flippers where most of the meat is concentrated and I have never cut a ***** off a seal.

Guest habs fan #1
I don't think it's so much being ill informed on the Canadian Seal Hunt.

We learned all about it in school and whatnot.

I just don't agree with it because it seems cruel. I'm not into slaughter animals in a brutal way. I think there's got to be something better for these seal hunters to do to fill out their days.

So I guess it's safe to say you don't live on a farm.

Guest gumper

The media makes it seem so much worse than it is and gets big stars like Paul McCartney to come in and protest, when they don't even know what they are protesting against very much. I think everyone else should mind their own buisness and if they are going to protest against killing "cute" little seals than maybe they should protest against killing pigs, cows, chickens, etc. because the slaughter of these animals is MUCH MUCH more inhumaine.

Guest habs fan #1
The media makes it seem so much worse than it is and gets big stars like Paul McCartney to come in and protest, when they don't even know what they are protesting against very much. I think everyone else should mind their own buisness and if they are going to protest against killing "cute" little seals than maybe they should protest against killing pigs, cows, chickens, etc. because the slaughter of these animals is MUCH MUCH more inhumaine.

Thank you it is all about making money

Guest noob616

i really don't think they need to be clubbed, if they are shot, it's quick and painless and no different from other types of hunting. why is nobody up in arms that people are hunting deer, moose, rabbit, or wolves? because they aren't cute. maybe Habsfan#1 can tell us a little more. are the seals killed with a shot? if so, it's just another game animal i really have no problem with it.

Guest habs fan #1
i really don't think they need to be clubbed, if they are shot, it's quick and painless and no different from other types of hunting. why is nobody up in arms that people are hunting deer, moose, rabbit, or wolves? because they aren't cute. maybe Habsfan#1 can tell us a little more. are the seals killed with a shot? if so, it's just another game animal i really have no problem with it.

Like I've said above I have been sealing for 8 years and I have never Clubbed a seal. I have shot all I have ever harvested.

I too would like to have the club banned as many other fisherman. We have requested it but nothing has happened

Guest 1stroundpick

If they weren't cute, no one would care. I find it especially odd that people are bothered more by our seal hunt then by the millions of cattle and pigs that are slaughtered each year and sold in stores.

"The killing of innocent animals is wrong and I'm going to do something about it as soon as I am done my Wendy's Baconator"

Oh btw, I am not against eating meat, just hipocrites.

[/quot

Well put.

Do these so called animal lovers care about the rats in the sewers?

Guest habs fan #1
From what I know clubbing is more of an old school approach to killing seals, is it not?

Not insulting Capers but the majority of the clubbing takes place in Cape Breton and Isles De Magdeline.

I would also like to take this moment and say my condolences for the the families in Isles de Magdeline for their loss

• 2 weeks later...

well I am from NL so I know that I think the seal hunt is as humane as our moose hunt is, as our fishing is and so on.

These so called animal rights activists like Paul Watson, (and i know it aint nice to call names but he is got to be one of the biggest nut bars I have ever heard of), watson even said we are a national disgrace to Canada and so on and he said the seal is an endangered species and so on

but thing is these guys wont go help a species thats really endangered because its not profitable for them. They get attention from the seal hunt noises they make. Helping animals is not their main motivation. There main motivation is money.

Archived