• J.S. Giguerre
    • Marc-Andre Fleury
    • Cam Ward
    • Pascal Leclaire
    • Jose Theodore
    • Martin Biron
    • Marty Turco

Guest eukinfindme

It's only a matter of time before the entire nation embraces Price, and hands our national team to him. Vancouver 2010 will be his official coming out party (with a Stanley Cup in his pocket too)! ;)

too early to tell imho.

If he's still playing, brodeur will be there - although likely more as a backup.

Luongo, while maybe technically the strongest of the bunch, still seems to have problems when it comes to 'big games' - yes, he's been on some horrible teams but 7 NHL seasons & only ONE playoffs to show for it? thats pretty harsh. Put brodeur, roy or hasek on those same florida & vancouver teams & i'll just bet they would have had at least a couple more playoff berths.

Giggy is too inconsistent to be the go to guy imho.

That leaves fleury & price. IF fleury has truely turned a corner the last couple of months & truly has found his "mental game" then he could be the guy. Price, we know, already has the mental game, he's just got a couple of years less development in front of him.

I believe which ever one of these two keepers can go deep into the playoffs the next 2 seasons will get the most consideration.

Should be interesting to watch.

Guest feistyboy27
too early to tell imho.

If he's still playing, brodeur will be there - although likely more as a backup.

Luongo, while maybe technically the strongest of the bunch, still seems to have problems when it comes to 'big games' - yes, he's been on some horrible teams but 7 NHL seasons & only ONE playoffs to show for it? thats pretty harsh. Put brodeur, roy or hasek on those same florida & vancouver teams & i'll just bet they would have had at least a couple more playoff berths.

That leaves fleury & price. IF fleury has truely turned a corner the last couple of months & truly has found his "mental game" then he could be the guy. Price, we know, already has the mental game, he's just got a couple of years less development in front of him.

I believe which ever one of these two keepers can go deep into the playoffs the next 2 seasons will get the most consideration.

Should be interesting to watch.

Excellent accessment of each. I have nothing to add really.

Well actually while I am not advocating him as the most likely starter I would say even if Giguere is up and down he definitely is a "big game goalie". His performances in the 2003 and 2007 playoffs make that very clear.

Guest eukinfindme
Excellent accessment of each. I have nothing to add really.

Well actually while I am not advocating him as the most likely starter I would say even if Giguere is up and down he definitely is a "big game goalie". His performances in the 2003 and 2007 playoffs make that very clear.

I agree, very good assessment. Reality is Luongo is "sort of" the favourite now, but what has he really done in his career, especially in the playoffs? A deep run this year, and a cup next year and Carey will be the starter for at least a decade.

Habs should really sign this guy to a 12 year $72MM contract ASAP. because before long he will be worth easily $10MM/year and with the cap going up (it seems) teams will be offering this the minute he comes close to UFA status.

I think at that time Brodeur will be on the downside of his career and probably won't want to go without a guaranteed starting spot, which in 2010 we may not be able to guarantee him. I'm thinking Luongo will be around the perfect age at that time and will probably be the guy, especially now that he's with a team that should get him some playoff experience (and he was excellent his one playoff series I believe). Price and Fleury may be there, but I think it's more likely as Luongo's backups.

On those Florida teams he had a save percentage of .914 or higher every single season, one season he was as high as .931. These numbers are as good if not better than Roy's regular season numbers (Hasek's were a bit higher though). But if he got a .931 save percentage one season and even that wasn't enough, then that tells me no goaltender could do anything, because expecting anyone to stop more than 93.1% of the shots they face is unrealistic over an entire season. This season is the only time I'd say maybe had he played a bit better down the stretch his team may have squeaked into the playoffs. Florida could of had any goaltender and it wouldn't have made any difference.

And as for not stepping up in big games, Luongo had an incredible playoffs last year, so I'm not sure exactly what you're referring to here. I also think he played well internationally at World Championships if I remember correctly. Truth is he hasn't had the chance to prove himself time and time againt, but it's not like Price or Fleury are proven either.

Guest feistyboy27

Is there anyone else other then those 5 to maybe consider for one of the 3 goaltending spots? Pascal LeClaire or Cam Ward perhaps, or are those the only 5 to really consider?

Is there anyone else other then those 5 to maybe consider for one of the 3 goaltending spots? Pascal LeClaire or Cam Ward perhaps, or are those the only 5 to really consider?

2 other good choices. I'd say they are at least as likely as Gigure.

Cam Ward is a bust, im sorry, i wouldnt at all even put his name in that list of goalies.

Guest privateserver
Cam Ward is a bust, im sorry, i wouldnt at all even put his name in that list of goalies.

Its true he is a bust but with training he could turn out to be good.

Guest eukinfindme

I was thinking of writing down all the CDN goaltenders, and then it sort of dawned on me that, well the 2010 Olympics are 2 years away. Having said that, and since this thread is about who you would choose as a starter I created the list with goalies that could feasably become a starter. LeClaire hasn't made the playoffs yet, so Team Canada is not going to make him a starter - and although Cam Ward did have one stellar year in his cup run, he has shown that although dependable doesn't have the right tools to do it again.

So....

Since there is such a premium on playoff experience, I think Luopngo has really hurt his cause. I would have said maybe 1 month ago he was the clear cut favourite, but if Price keeps this up for the next year or two, I truly believe it will be Price's team.

Guest feistyboy27
I dont think he is a bust. He simply isnt the superstar he was overhyped to be in a knee jerk reaction after his great Stanley Cup and Conn Smythe ( a questionable choice IMO) a couple years ago.
I was thinking of writing down all the CDN goaltenders, and then it sort of dawned on me that, well the 2010 Olympics are 2 years away. Having said that, and since this thread is about who you would choose as a starter I created the list with goalies that could feasably become a starter. LeClaire hasn't made the playoffs yet, so Team Canada is not going to make him a starter - and although Cam Ward did have one stellar year in his cup run, he has shown that although dependable doesn't have the right tools to do it again. So.... Since there is such a premium on playoff experience, I think Luopngo has really hurt his cause. I would have said maybe 1 month ago he was the clear cut favourite, but if Price keeps this up for the next year or two, I truly believe it will be Price's team.
Interesting comments, but all good points. One interesting thing is LeClaire and Ward are currently at the World Championships together. It will be interesting which of the two is given the nod as the starter there is nobody else is brought in. Well Hitchcock is coach so probably LeClaire.

Guest Innis_Mor

I chose Price (check my posts) a few months ago when the prognosticators (same ones as picked Habs for 14th this season) picked Brodeur, Luongo and Ward. Same old "can't see talent even when it is slapping them right in the face."

Canada had a bunch of old, experienced guys last time (remember?). Fat lot that did us. They spent the whole 2 weeks touring Italy sampling the fine cuisine with their families, a mini vacation. They had no use for Crosby and Staal, but felt they needed Bertuzzi :blink: .

Nicholson blamed it on the "guys just couldn't score" as if the Canadians outplayed the opposition; heck, Canada got outshot, outplayed, and outscored by the Swiss!! Dumbass comment from Nicholson.

Canada should give the team to Yzerman this time to build/manage. Gretzky can help coach.

I was thinking of writing down all the CDN goaltenders, and then it sort of dawned on me that, well the 2010 Olympics are 2 years away. Having said that, and since this thread is about who you would choose as a starter I created the list with goalies that could feasably become a starter. LeClaire hasn't made the playoffs yet, so Team Canada is not going to make him a starter - and although Cam Ward did have one stellar year in his cup run, he has shown that although dependable doesn't have the right tools to do it again.

So....

Since there is such a premium on playoff experience, I think Luopngo has really hurt his cause. I would have said maybe 1 month ago he was the clear cut favourite, but if Price keeps this up for the next year or two, I truly believe it will be Price's team.

I think Ward is in the same camp as Gigure, doesn't have the consistancy.

But I'm not sure Leclaire would necessarily be left out. I mean it's highly unlikely he'll be the starter, but a third string seems fairly likely. Luongo was with Team Canada before playing a single playoff game, and if Leclaire can have a couple more solid seasons, who knows, it's not like Price or Fleury have way more experience than he does.

Turco is another choice. If he could put together a couple of great cup runs, he's a solid possibility.

Guest eukinfindme

I'm more than happy to add: Turco, Ward and LeClaire (Heck even Theodore), but I am not sure how to edit the choiuces - I think once it is done that is it.

I will make a new thread up and put the list so there is nobody left out. and I will make it multiple choice to change ti up a bit.

Guest xe_liam88

Price WILL NOT be there for the 2010 Olympics....as a starter or back-up at least! This will be Brodeur's last tour of duty and Luongo will be there as the back-up in case Brodeur doesn't have it. Price has a strong chance at being there at the following one however as Brodeur will be gone.

Giguire and Ward should NOT be considered. Ward has not been great since he won the cup, and I would never fully bet on giguire...he won a cup...but thats about it unfortunatley...Pascal Leclair played amazing to start the season but he fell later on. I probably wouldnt consider him either.

But i can honestly say as a die hard Habs fan that Carey Price will 90% not be there...and I think thats good for us....I honestly couldn't care less about the olympics (fun to watch the hockey, but doesnt mean anything to me) and if he got injured that would mean the end of the season for us!...NO THANK YOU!!!

Guest feistyboy27
Price WILL NOT be there for the 2010 Olympics....as a starter or back-up at least! This will be Brodeur's last tour of duty and Luongo will be there as the back-up in case Brodeur doesn't have it.

If Brodeur can sustain the level he had this year it is possible he is the starter but he doesnt (and I dont think he will, I think his age will definitely start showing soon) not a chance IMO. After the embarassment of Turin this loyalty nonsense will not come into play much if at all, particularly at such an important position.

Guest muskeg

not sure if carey will be there in 2010, butr he'll surely be there after that (assuming the olypmics continues with NHLers, which is a doscussion for another place and time)

Guest xnazzx
On those Florida teams he had a save percentage of .914 or higher every single season, one season he was as high as .931. These numbers are as good if not better than Roy's regular season numbers (Hasek's were a bit higher though). But if he got a .931 save percentage one season and even that wasn't enough, then that tells me no goaltender could do anything, because expecting anyone to stop more than 93.1% of the shots they face is unrealistic over an entire season. This season is the only time I'd say maybe had he played a bit better down the stretch his team may have squeaked into the playoffs. Florida could of had any goaltender and it wouldn't have made any difference.

And as for not stepping up in big games, Luongo had an incredible playoffs last year, so I'm not sure exactly what you're referring to here. I also think he played well internationally at World Championships if I remember correctly. Truth is he hasn't had the chance to prove himself time and time againt, but it's not like Price or Fleury are proven either.

You see, I never really got that. The guy was on a team allowing something like 40+ shots a game. So if he's saving on average 93% of those shots he is still letting in 3 GOALS!

Guest Innis_Mor
not sure if carey will be there in 2010, butr he'll surely be there after that (assuming the olypmics continues with NHLers, which is a doscussion for another place and time)
... which is why he should/could be the 3rd goalie ... for the exposure, to groom him, etc.

Archived