The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Montreal (1) Vs. Philadelphia (6)

Guest dritz123

Guest Komi4MVP

This is going to be one heck of a series. I got tickets to Game 4 (thank goodness it doesn't conflict with the Rangers-Pens game at the Garden, which would be the night before), even though the seats at the Wach is pretty bad! Hey just to support my Canadian team!

I do expect the Flyers to play strong. After all, they have Cannon (Richards) and the Cookie Monster (Briere) as well as Brion. They would also make sure Cote, Hartell, and Smith get physical with Hammer and Komi. However, our boys will prevail again!

Habs in 6!

Guest 1970 Habs

Bring on the Flyers

After going the distance and polishing off the Bruins, the Canadiens now have a date with the Philadelphia Flyers in the Eastern Conference semifinals. The Canadiens and Flyers are locking horns in the playoffs for the fifth time in their heated rivalry and for the first time in nearly 20 years. Not since the spring of 1989 have Montreal and Philadelphia squared off during the postseason; in their last meeting, Guy Carbonneau and Bob Gainey teamed up to sink the Flyers in six games to advance to the Stanley Cup Final.

The Habs and Flyers also went toe-to-toe in the playoffs in 1973, 1976 and 1987, with Montreal coming out on top in each of their first two encounters, including a Cup Final triumph over Philly in 1976. That year, Scotty Bowman’s squad ended the Broad Street Bullies' two-year reign as Stanley Cup champs, as the Habs claimed their first of four straight championships. The Canadiens are coming off a four-game regular-season sweep of Philadephia, which saw the Habs outscore the Flyers 15-6 along the way.

Source: http://canadiens.nhl.com/team/app/?service...rticleid=361193

For everyone who thinks that the Canadiens will win this series easliy you just need to be reminded how determined the underdog Bruins were. Phladelphia is the underdog now with just as much to prove as Boston. Despite missing Gagne and Knuble Philadelphia is bigger, stronger and more physical than the Bruins. If Montreal shies away from the physical play like they will more than have their hands full. I expect that whichever team wins this series will have some injuries and be limping into the Conference finals.

Guest jennifer_rocket

Har har! :lol:

The New York Rangers and Pittsburgh Penguins can bash each other to heck, I hope!

Meanwhile, hopefully we can dispatch the Philadelphia Flyers!

I feel like the Flyers are going to attempt to play the same game against us as Boston did. However, I think Boston will have been better an executing that style of gameplay. Either way, it didn't work for Boston, and game 7 gave us a great boost of confidence. I think the tables will turn on the Flyers. We will out-work them, we will out-hit them, we will out-score them.

Better goaltending!

Better defense!

That wins playoff rounds. Philadelphia is going down. :P

Go Habs Go!

Guest bigsby

argh. the flyers....

interesting side note: the only players i like on the bruins and the flyers are out with concussions...weird. i guess it's made it easier on me to hate them both. lol.

i really hope the habs learned their lesson against the bruins and don't try to match the flyers' physical play just in order to prove they're tough (as kovy put it). they have to stick to their game plan, and i agree, i think the bruins might take the edge in shutting us down - if the habs play smart and use their speed good things will happen.

of concern: the flyers gooning it up because it's montreal; the tape is out on the bruins' penalty kill so the boys are going to have to roll with what they accomplished in game 7 and figure out how to duplicate it.

i don't think anyone is taking this team lightly - i think we all learned our lesson. but the habs are a much better team than the caps and they found a way to take the flyers to seven games.

what i noticed: the flyers couldn't hold a lead a lot of the time; and once you get them on their heals they get away from their game - as boston did in game 7.

let's go habs!

Guest Innis_Mor

Habs can rack up some goals by getting one of the two scoring lines out as often as possible against the Modry-Smith defense tandem -- they are simply horrid.

Flyers are really quite deep up front (even without Gagne), but the Habs will take them in 6 (my guess) due to better/deeper defense better goaltending (Price!!) and better specialty teams (now that the PP is getting back on track -- I didn't think you keep that baby down for ever!). If 7 games are needed, well then the home ice will seal it.

Guest KORDIC3131

The Flyers "toughness" is way overblown....a few guys get suspensions for dirty hits and all of a sudden they are a tough team? Even their"enforcer" Cote is not in the class of the heavyweights in the league. We have nothing to fear from this team on the physical side!!! Flyer fans like to think they are the Broad Street Bullies but this is not 1975!!!

"

Guest GreekHockeyCoach
Why does he get booed there so much?

Rangers over San Jose/Detroit winner :(

If you keep talking about booing Briere I am not going to engage in a flame war on this thread.. do as ya wish1st Amendment.. GO FLYERS

I think he has the most points for a player against the Flyers, hence the booing. :D

Briere gets booed because he's a home-grown player that chose not to play here even though he was offered the same amount of money to play with the Habs. He chose Philly because the taxes are lower. He will definitely get booed just as Kovalev gets booed in Philly. I'll say one thing to the Phillies fans, this ain't Washington you're playing, our boys can hit with the best of them. I already saw Briere shy away from a few hits against the Caps and I laughed. What's he going to do when Komi, Begin and Kostopoulos go after him :lol:

Seriously though, welcome to the board, it should be a great series. The Flyers are a much improved team since we last played them and it should be a hard fought series. Biron was impressive against the Caps and was the difference for the Flyers advancing. I know that Philly will come out hitting and try to intimidate us like Boston did but we actually outhit Boston in that series. We learned a valuable lesson against the Bruins and I feel that from now on in we'll be playing our style of hockey and forcing our style of play as opposed to adapting to the other team's style.

I look for the Habs to get it done with speed and great goaltending from Carey. Habs in 5.

Guest GreekHockeyCoach
Shouldn't there be a poll in this thread asking us who we think will win the series, and in how many games?

I'm sure the mods can add it in as opposed to creating a new thread.

Guest jennifer_rocket
I'm sure the mods can add it in as opposed to creating a new thread.

Please Mods, no more new threads! :lol:

Just edit this one so there's a poll.

My prediction is Montreal in 6! :)

Guest GreekHockeyCoach
Please Mods, no more new threads! :lol:

Just edit this one so there's a poll.

My prediction is Montreal in 6! :)

P.S. You're a dude :o

Why the name Jennifer then :lol: I've been calling you Jen all this time, lmao :lol:

Guest Bruin Fan 4

if I may be so bold as to give my prediction now ...

Habs in 5, this series won't be pretty, that's for sure

Watch out for Downie #27 ... he's dirty !!

ONE MORE SLEEP .................... GO HABS GO ................... ps I am a Dudette ;)

Guest overlords

Why the name Jennifer then :lol: I've been calling you Jen all this time, lmao :lol:

has to do with a band or something like that if i remember correctly. I've known for almost a year now so i always laugh when i notice people talking to him like he's a she. Always good for a laugh :P

ONE MORE SLEEP .................... GO HABS GO ................... ps I am a Dudette ;)

Hey Bruin fan 4 nice to see you stayed on...I enjoy your insight on the board. I think the Habs will also take this series, however I think it might be in 6, but hopefully we can do it in 5.

Guest GreekHockeyCoach

:lol::lol::lol:

Hello there Dudette :lol:

Nice to have you here.

Guest bigsby
Briere gets booed because he's a home-grown player that chose not to play here even though he was offered the same amount of money to play with the Habs. He chose Philly because the taxes are lower. He will definitely get booed just as Kovalev gets booed in Philly. I'll say one thing to the Phillies fans, this ain't Washington you're playing, our boys can hit with the best of them. I already saw Briere shy away from a few hits against the Caps and I laughed. What's he going to do when Komi, Begin and Kostopoulos go after him :lol:

Seriously though, welcome to the board, it should be a great series. The Flyers are a much improved team since we last played them and it should be a hard fought series. Biron was impressive against the Caps and was the difference for the Flyers advancing. I know that Philly will come out hitting and try to intimidate us like Boston did but we actually outhit Boston in that series. We learned a valuable lesson against the Bruins and I feel that from now on in we'll be playing our style of hockey and forcing our style of play as opposed to adapting to the other team's style.

I look for the Habs to get it done with speed and great goaltending from Carey. Habs in 5.

if i booed, i'd boo briere but greek, you have to be fair: the contract was the same in "dollars" only. the flyers offered him more years and the dreaded nmc - which gainey rightfully refused. briere handled the situation poorly as players tend to do. i just hope we make him regret his decision anyway. ;)

Guest jeff33

welcome flyers fans, (and remaining classy bruins fan) good to have some cool hockey people in here to give us the opposite perspective. good win by philly (although i thought that goal should have been disallowed, you know which one haha) anyway this should be a good series. briere will be getting the chara treatment, with the booing and constant hitting, too bad for him hes half the size of chara and wont be able to absorb the punishment like that big awkward tree did. biron is a very good goalie IMO so we will have to be our slick passing selves, but i think we have grown from that boston series and will be a much better team. if we can play our game we shouldnt have much trouble with philly, but i thought the same thing about boston so no way am i writing off the flyers. may the best team win!!! (us) :P

Guest jennifer_rocket

A band I was once in was named, "Jennifer Rocket", and I happened to moderate our E-mail account. I then took up the name for most of my instant message accounts, etc. since most friends of mine recognized it as my E-mail address.

has to do with a band or something like that if i remember correctly. I've known for almost a year now so i always laugh when i notice people talking to him like he's a she. Always good for a laugh :P

Right on!

It is pretty funny though. I always wonder if people would respond to me differently on the board depending on what sex they believed I was.

Guest KORDIC3131
A band I was once in was named, "Jennifer Rocket", and I happened to moderate our E-mail account. I then took up the name for most of my instant message accounts, etc. since most friends of mine recognized it as my E-mail address.

Right on!

It is pretty funny though. I always wonder if people would respond to me differently on the board depending on what sex they believed I was.

I ,for one, may have to stop flirting with you :lol:

Guest Bobineau

That's not really true, he chose Philly because he had friends there and was garanteed to be the first line center.

Guest GreekHockeyCoach
if i booed, i'd boo briere but greek, you have to be fair: the contract was the same in "dollars" only. the flyers offered him more years and the dreaded nmc - which gainey rightfully refused. briere handled the situation poorly as players tend to do. i just hope we make him regret his decision anyway. ;)

Well Bigs, if I'm a kid growing up in Quebec and one day I'm offered the chance to play for the Habs, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I grew up in Montreal and played my hockey in Quebec and everyone I played with had the dream to play for the Canadiens. Briere made a business decision and that's fine. We can debate this till we turn blue in the face and not get anywhere. He made his choice. However, that choice has backfired for the Flyers thus far as Briere wasn't all that great in the regular season to warrant the money he's getting.

Guest Bruin Fan 4
Hey Bruin fan 4 nice to see you stayed on...I enjoy your insight on the board. I think the Habs will also take this series, however I think it might be in 6, but hopefully we can do it in 5.

of course I stayed on, I'm hooked now (therapy didn't work for my Bruins)

I haven't been so pumped for the playoffs since ... well since, 1972 .... insert wink here !!

Guest GreekHockeyCoach
That's not really true, he chose Philly because he had friends there and was garanteed to be the first line center.

See my answer above.

Guest Highspeed969

I just wrote down all the predictions from the EA SPORTS Xbox 360 simulation of the playoffs for reference...they got all the matchups right after the 1st round but were wrong on the # of games in most cases

Italics are right, underline is wrong.

Note: The EA SPORTS didn't show all series from all rounds in their video on tsn.ca; below is all they show

EAST:

HABS VS BRUINS - HABS WIN 4-3

PIT VS OTT - PIT WIN 4-1

PHI VS WAS - PHI WIN 4-3

NJD VS NYR - NYR WIN 4-3

WEST:

DET VS NAS - DET WIN 4-1

SJS VS CALGARY - SJS WIN 4-1

COL VS MIN - COL WIN 4-0

DAL VS ANA - DAL WIN 4-1

SEMIS:

HABS VS PHI - HABS WIN 4-2

SJS VS DAL - SJS WIN 4-2

CONFERENCE FINALS:

HABS VS PIT - HABS WIN 4-2

SJS VS DET - SJS WIN 4-2

FINALS:

HABS VS SJS - SJS WIN 4-3

My prediction is above in bold for this series :D

Guest bigsby
Well Bigs, if I'm a kid growing up in Quebec and one day I'm offered the chance to play for the Habs, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I grew up in Montreal and played my hockey in Quebec and everyone I played with had the dream to play for the Canadiens. Briere made a business decision and that's fine. We can debate this till we turn blue in the face and not get anywhere. He made his choice. However, that choice has backfired for the Flyers thus far as Briere wasn't all that great in the regular season to warrant the money he's getting.

completely agreed. i'm not saying he made the right choice or one i agree with but most people (as is the case with souray) keep saying he chose flyers for the same money but it wasn't the same contract - and, i'll say it again, i'm so thankful we didn't match the flyers' offer. not worth it at all.

Archived