The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens

Montreal (1) Vs. Philadelphia (6)

Guest dritz123

Guest cp491
Oh come on!!!! You guys booed Santa Claus for God's sake!!!! ;)

Come on now... let's get this story straight. First of all, it was decades ago. It was an Eagles game when they were having a very bad year and it was a cold, nasty day. One thing the fans always looked forward to was a Christmas show where Santa Claus game on the field in the game before Christmas, but in this game, the Santa didn't show up. So they ended up taking some random guy from the stands, sticking a beard and red suit on him, and told him to walk on the field. Nevertheless the fans knew he was an impostor, and after sitting in freezing temperatures watching a bad team, they did boo and throw snowballs. Okay, Philadelphia sports history lesson his now over. Hope I cleared it up!

Guest KORDIC3131
I'm less concerned about this series for 3 reasons. [A] It wont be dirty as hell like Boston Philly is nowhere as good as Montreal[C] We got Price. :)
Interesting.....you thought the Boston series was dirty??? I thought it was physical but didn't feel there was a lot of nastiness. As a matter of fact, thought the Habs were a lot dirtier than the Bruins (high sticks,hitting from behind...)
Come on now... let's get this story straight. First of all, it was decades ago. It was an Eagles game when they were having a very bad year and it was a cold, nasty day. One thing the fans always looked forward to was a Christmas show where Santa Claus game on the field in the game before Christmas, but in this game, the Santa didn't show up. So they ended up taking some random guy from the stands, sticking a beard and red suit on him, and told him to walk on the field. Nevertheless the fans knew he was an impostor, and after sitting in freezing temperatures watching a bad team, they did boo and throw snowballs. Okay, Philadelphia sports history lesson his now over. Hope I cleared it up!
I know the story....it was an imposter???? LMAO The real one couldn't make it ??LOL

Guest cp491
Booing individual players from the opposing team is part of the fun. Does it really matter why? ;):D
Not really, but you don't see it everyday and I was wondering if he had said something. Like in Philadelphia, we'll boo individual players, but it will be for a specific reason, like Lindros for example. Don't worry, Kovalev will be hearing it too, but that's only because he kills us. ;)
Interesting.....you thought the Boston series was dirty??? I thought it was physical but didn't feel there was a lot of nastiness. As a matter of fact, thought the Habs were a lot dirtier than the Bruins (high sticks,hitting from behind...)I know the story....it was an imposter???? LMAO The real one couldn't make it ??LOL
Well, the normal one, who actually looked like Santa Claus. You know what I mean. :lol:

Guest GreekHockeyCoach
Not to be disrespectful, but that's a ridiculous reason to boo someone. I know you guys are set in your ways, and I won't change your minds, but with all the professional athletes who have completely screwed over Philadelphia teams, I can't imagine booing a player from the Philly area just because he chose to play somewhere else. Anyway, thanks for the welcome and I agree, this series should be fun.

No disrespect taken. As ridiculous a reason as it is, and I'm not saying I agree with it, but like Weeping said, it's part of the fun.

Anyways, like I said in an earlier post, glad to have you Flyers fans here on this board. Should be a fun series.

Guest KORDIC3131
. ;)Well, the normal one, who actually looked like Santa Claus. You know what I mean. :lol:

Haha, you still threw snow balls and booed Santa :lol:

Not really, but you don't see it everyday and I was wondering if he had said something. Like in Philadelphia, we'll boo individual players, but it will be for a specific reason, like Lindros for example. Don't worry, Kovalev will be hearing it too, but that's only because he kills us. ;)Well, the normal one, who actually looked like Santa Claus. You know what I mean. :lol:

He refused to sign with us in the off-season. Left us hanging until the very last moment of the signing deadline. I think that's where it stems from. And believe me, the boos are going to be loud when he touches the puck. ;)

Guest hablover

Going to be a good series....

I don't see us running all over philly....

they just came off a big win against washington when no one gave them a chace and will look to do the same vs us.

He refused to sign with us in the off-season. Left us hanging until the very last moment of the signing deadline. I think that's where it stems from. And believe me, the boos are going to be loud when he touches the puck. ;)

Also, I think a lot of what angered people was the (false) report from a newspaper stating that the only reason Briere didn't sign in Montreal is because he wasn't guaranteed to be the top line center.

So it just made him look like a baby, although, like I said, the report was denied by the Habs, and just flat out makes no sense to begin with (why would the Habs offer him so much money and not give him top line minutes?)

If the Flyers didn't have Briere, the fans would have found someone else to boo anyways.

Guest cp491

But... isn't he allowed to sign wherever he wants, regardless of where he's from? I really don't have a problem with the booing, it's just don't pretend that you have a great reason for it.

Secondly, the Flyers are an extremely deep offensive team. They don't really have definite lines, as they change often, so it is impossible to say that they only have one "decent" line. Richards, Carter, Briere, Prospal, Hartnell, Upshall, Umberger, and Lupul make for more than just one good line. I still think you guys should win in 6 games though.

Agreed, the Flyers have as much scoring depth upfront as any team in the East, and that's without Gagne. I believe the Flyers have 8 guys in their lineup who scored 20 or more goals this season.

If the Habs play like they did against Boston, and give up the kind of chances they did games 2-6, Philly will win this series quite easily imo, as they won't miss the kind of chances Boston did.

This is going to be a tough series, and since game 1, Philly will be playing their 3rd in 4 nights, we have to take advantage in our building and jump on them.

But... isn't he allowed to sign wherever he wants, regardless of where he's from? I really don't have a problem with the booing, it's just don't pretend that you have a great reason for it.

That's just it though. We don't need a good reason. :lol: And I agree he can sign wherever he wants. I'm not even sure if that's the reason he's booed. I think Habs fans just boo the best players on the other team to get under their skin. Probably doesn't work and in some cases even has the opposite effect. But in Brière's case I like to think that it bothers him a bit. He's been kept rather quiet in Montreal this year.

Guest cp491
That's just it though. We don't need a good reason. :lol: And I agree he can sign wherever he wants. I'm not even sure if that's the reason he's booed. I think Habs fans just boo the best players on the other team to get under their skin. Probably doesn't work and in some cases even has the opposite effect. But in Brière's case I like to think that it bothers him a bit. He's been kept rather quiet in Montreal this year.

I don't think you need a good reason, either. And I think Briere's play in Montreal this year has less to do with what the fans were doing, and more to do with the team he was playing.

Well, like I said, a newspaper ran a report saying the reason he didn't sign here was because he wasn't guaranteed top line minutes. Right from the start, the story smelled funny to me, but that probably turned a lot of people on him.

That being said, I've been a Habs fan my whole life, and if I tried to figure the reasoning behind some of the things the fanbase does/says I'd end up with a gigantic headache.

The booing adds to the atmosphere though, so I don't mind it.

Not really, but you don't see it everyday and I was wondering if he had said something. Like in Philadelphia, we'll boo individual players, but it will be for a specific reason, like Lindros for example.

To my knowledge, Briere has never said anything. But IMO spurning a big contract offer from your home province's team at the last minute to play elsewhere is ample reason to boo him. :);)

Then again, the Bell Centre crowd isn't exactly rational about it. They boo Chara every time he touches the puck, and I have yet to figure out why, unless they're still mad about him pancaking Raitvis Ivanans into next week during his short stint with the CH. :D

Guest cp491
Well, like I said, a newspaper ran a report saying the reason he didn't sign here was because he wasn't guaranteed top line minutes. Right from the start, the story smelled funny to me, but that probably turned a lot of people on him.

That being said, I've been a Habs fan my whole life, and if I tried to figure the reasoning behind some of the things the fanbase does/says I'd end up with a gigantic headache.

The booing adds to the atmosphere though, so I don't mind it.

:lol: No problem, I understand fanbases like that. I think our fanbases have a lot in common. I also see how an article like that could get some people mad.

Of course he is. And for most of us, we see it as a positive he didnt sign here. We almost certainly wouldnt have signed Hamrlik & some of our young players would certainly not gotten the ice time they required to have breakout seasons.

However, there is some reasoning behind the boos - and it is a legitimate issue some fans have with briere. It wasnt that he signed elsewhere - of course it was his choice to do so. It wasnt even that he was offered a better contract here & still chose to go elsewhere. The issue that people have is that it appears he strung the organization along - to the point where they didnt make pitches for other players. He told George Gillette (Habs owner) point blank he was signing & then 1/2 hr later Gillette hear's he's signed with philly. (This is straight from Gillette's mouth as I understand it - not heresay).

But, at the end of the day, I dont really care. It seems to me that this worked out best for the habs, so so be it. Id much rather take a habs lineup with Hamrlik, Smolinski and Kostopolous (the 3 players we signed after the Briere deal fell through - and a combined total of $1.5m LESS than briere's contract alone) than Briere in their places. BTW, Briere made $8.6m more this season than plekanec..and scored 3 more points, so Im ok with Pleks & Koivu as our 1-2 pivots ;)

\Then again, the Bell Centre crowd isn't exactly rational about it. They boo Chara every time he touches the puck, and I have yet to figure out why, unless they're still mad about him pancaking Raitvis Ivanans into next week during his short stint with the CH. :D

I thought it was because he was tall? :blink: "hey you, tall guy!!! BOOOOO" :P

Guest slode

i've not noticed Mr Ryder , in much scoring,him and Higgins are pretty unique. Ryder, like Markov, are too talented to ever be bashed.They have both saved us, and made us proud.. in the past. It must be the line switching up..but yea, Koivu with Kovalev were good together. I think Kostolpolus is the missing K man.well..at the end of trade hour, i was thinking someone strong needs to be with Koivu. I saw Vinnie Lecavalier play with Koivu in all-star game, which made me think..to get a cup..all we need is Lecavalier..we'll even though, i can't see Vinnie coming here..how bout a player with his style help Koivu's line..enter Kovalev..and btw..to get vinnie maybe would could have sent Huet, or Halak,with a sniper,..but after this playoff, I think, alot of our guys, are gonna increase their price tag.:)

Guest KORDIC3131
They booed Chara simply because he was the captain. At least that's how I understand it.

I'm thinking it got ramped up after he took a run at Kovalev early in the season at the end of one of the blowouts. Latendresse had to fight him and then change his hockey pants LOL. I also remember him breaking Ivanans cheekbone in a fight last year with a cheapshot when the linesman had Ivanans tied up at the end of the fight.

Guest cp491
Of course he is. And for most of us, we see it as a positive he didnt sign here. We almost certainly wouldnt have signed Hamrlik & some of our young players would certainly not gotten the ice time they required to have breakout seasons.

However, there is some reasoning behind the boos - and it is a legitimate issue some fans have with briere. It wasnt that he signed elsewhere - of course it was his choice to do so. It wasnt even that he was offered a better contract here & still chose to go elsewhere. The issue that people have is that it appears he strung the organization along - to the point where they didnt make pitches for other players. He told George Gillette (Habs owner) point blank he was signing & then 1/2 hr later Gillette hear's he's signed with philly. (This is straight from Gillette's mouth as I understand it - not heresay).

But, at the end of the day, I dont really care. It seems to me that this worked out best for the habs, so so be it. Id much rather take a habs lineup with Hamrlik, Smolinski and Kostopolous (the 3 players we signed after the Briere deal fell through - and a combined total of $1.5m LESS than briere's contract alone) than Briere in their places. BTW, Briere made $8.6m more this season than plekanec..and scored 3 more points, so Im ok with Pleks & Koivu as our 1-2 pivots ;)

I thought it was because he was tall? :blink: "hey you, tall guy!!! BOOOOO" :P

But this is not an uncommon occurrence. Not that it happens all the time, but it is also not very strange to hear with free agency in any sport. Plus, it still seems like there's a little gray area between what's rumor and what's actually true. But don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you need a reason. Heck, we booed Ovechkin and some could argue that's for no reason (even though he did have the worst dive of the year and scream "F you" to the fans).

I'm very excited for this series, these are 2 teams who, imo, are top end blue prints of how to build a team. We all know about the kids we have in our lineup, and the kids we have coming up through the system and Philly is very much the same. They have a TON of very good young players in their lineup right now, one of the best prospects in all of hockey on the way (James VanRiemsdyk). The absolute robbery of Braydon Coburn on defense.

Guest cp491
I'm thinking it got ramped up after he took a run at Kovalev early in the season at the end of one of the blowouts. Latendresse had to fight him and then change his hockey pants LOL. I also remember him breaking Ivanans cheekbone in a fight last year with a cheapshot when the linesman had Ivanans tied up at the end of the fight.

Chara is just so easy to hate. I liked hearing the fans boo him.

But this is not an uncommon occurrence. Not that it happens all the time, but it is also not very strange to hear with free agency in any sport. Plus, it still seems like there's a little gray area between what's rumor and what's actually true. But don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you need a reason. Heck, we booed Ovechkin and some could argue that's for no reason (even though he did have the worst dive of the year and scream "F you" to the fans).

No, you're totally right. Im the kind of fan who really doesnt boo anyone, so i dont ever 'get' it - but i think thats the reasoning. Kordic brings up a good point though about Chara & thats one thing about habs fans - they will remember the tiniest incidents & never let the opposition forget it!! :P

Guest sh00n

I'm really happy we got the Flyers round 2. From what I've seen this season, they're just really sloppy with their passing game. They were lucky they got by the Caps, too. We swept the season series 4-0, too. :D

Archived