The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Round 2 | Game 3 | Montreal V Philadelphia | 4-28-08 | 7:00 Pm

Guest HabsFanInPitt27

I'd like to personally thank Flyers coach John Stevens for giving Habs fans something to laugh at and Habs players something to rally around.

Stevens calling Kostopoulos' punch cowardly made me as a fan laugh...Especially when you consider the only difference between this year's Flyers early in the season and the Charlestown Chiefs is one was the main focal point of a satirical movie and the other is alledgely an NHL calibre franchise...Though IMO the latter remains to be seen.

But not only did "Coach" Stevens give Habs fans a hearty laugh...He also gave Guy Carbonneau the amunition he needed to fire his players up for game 3. Carbo outright defended his players' actions and defended his team...And anytime you have a coach stand up for his players it could very well translate into the turning point of the series. Remember when Gretzky went on a tangent at one of the post game PC's where he totally called out the refs saying they were anti-Canadian? Remember how Canada rallied around that to capture gold? The same thing could happen here with Carbo's crew, but on a lesser scale.

Let me know waht you all think...But I think Stevens "Coward" comment may end up costing PHI the series.

Guest sanman
I'd like to personally thank Flyers coach John Stevens for giving Habs fans something to laugh at and Habs players something to rally around.

Stevens calling Kostopoulos' punch cowardly made me as a fan laugh...Especially when you consider the only difference between this year's Flyers early in the season and the Charlestown Chiefs is one was the main focal point of a satirical movie and the other is alledgely an NHL calibre franchise...Though IMO the latter remains to be seen.

But not only did "Coach" Stevens give Habs fans a hearty laugh...He also gave Guy Carbonneau the amunition he needed to fire his players up for game 3. Carbo outright defended his players' actions and defended his team...And anytime you have a coach stand up for his players it could very well translate into the turning point of the series. Remember when Gretzky went on a tangent at one of the post game PC's where he totally called out the refs saying they were anti-Canadian? Remember how Canada rallied around that to capture gold? The same thing could happen here with Carbo's crew, but on a lesser scale.

Let me know waht you all think...But I think Stevens "Coward" comment may end up costing PHI the series.

Couldn't agree more. At the time I thought it was a rallying point for the team. Philly knew they were being outlplayed and should have just gone about celebrating by themsleves. Timmonnen will think twice next time.

Then you have Stevens calling out Kotsopolous. Like this guy has any credibility after they sent more players to the hospital then any other in recent league history. Again, another guy who should have just kept quiet and take an ill deserved win.

You never want to start a fire where there isn't one but that's exactly what both these guy's did. Totally agree that Carbo with his complete defence of his team added fuel to that fire. Hope it translates to tonights game.

Guest Handlanger
:lol::lol: Saku's shirt is as ugly as Carbo's tie! :lol::lol:

Let's hope it's as lucky as Carbo's tie for tonight! :-)

Speaking of Carbo's Tie - is he wearing it today?

Guest Handlanger
:lol::lol: Saku's shirt is as ugly as Carbo's tie! :lol::lol:

Let's hope it's as lucky as Carbo's tie for tonight! :-)

Speaking of Carbo's Tie - is he wearing it today?

Guest bakanekimiwa

i think it will have more power for the flyers. they will be jacked up about that punch and finish every check. i don't mind guy defending his players, that's his job and he does it well... but, the fact remains, it was a sucker punch. and a sucker punch is cowardly.

look it was all in the heat of battle, and i think both sides have put it into proper perspective. you have the 2 best PP teams in the league so neither side can afford to take any stupid penalties. but, the heat has certainly been turned up and tonight the wach will be rocking. should be a great game.

Guest ChiLla
i think it will have more power for the flyers. they will be jacked up about that punch and finish every check. i don't mind guy defending his players, that's his job and he does it well... but, the fact remains, it was a sucker punch. and a sucker punch is cowardly.

Fired up by a face wash after which your assisstant captain sank cowardly to the ice as if a bulldozer just hit him? Yeah, right, that would fire me up also :blink:

Taunt the opponent after a lucky victory, turn around, get what you deserve and then take a dive. Who's talking cowards here ?

Guest bakanekimiwa
Fired up by a face wash after which your assisstant captain sank cowardly to the ice as if a bulldozer just hit him? Yeah, right, that would fire me up also :blink:

Taunt the opponent after a lucky victory, turn around, get what you deserve and then take a dive. Who's talking cowards here ?

first of all.. it wasn't a face wash. it was a sucker punch... as defined by any punch from behind on an unsuspecting punchee.

secondly, if you are suggesting that punching someone is the correct response to a 'taunt', well, we don't have anything to talk about then.

Guest ChiLla
first of all.. it wasn't a face wash. it was a sucker punch... as defined by any punch from behind on an unsuspecting punchee.

secondly, if you are suggesting that punching someone is the correct response to a 'taunt', well, we don't have anything to talk about then.

I'm suggesting that the right response to Timmonen's cowardly move has already been (and still will be) given on the ice, yes.

If you refuse to acknowledge that taunting opponents after an ill deserved win in their own building leads to certain consequences in the hockey world, then I have to agree and there's no need to talk about anything.

Guest CanadianMike

come on PRICE!! you can do it. I am getting stressed for this game. I want to see those fans in their orange crush tshirts sitting down (have NOTHING to cheer about) in the next 2 games. :P

GO HABS GO!!!

Sergei Kost will score Habs first goal.

Guest burma
Luckiest team? You have to be kidding me....The Flyers SHOULD be up 2-0 in this series going back to Philly...If it wasnt for that illegal goal that was allowed in game 1.

al

Oh please....give it a rest! :rolleyes: The goal was legal. The experts in TO are a little more trained to see these things than you on your couch.

The series should be 2-0, in favour of the Habs. I can't begin to describe how lucky the Flyers have been to this point. All the bounces have gone their way. The puck just seems to bounce in at opportune times in the game.

I can accept this however, because that's hockey. These lucky bounces though can't last long, and sooner or later it's going to start turning.

And all you Flyer's fans on here, why do you feel like you have to prove something to us? Please give it a rest and just talk about the games. I realize that some of our guys are doing the same thing on your boards too, but this is getting a little ridiculous here. I don't post here very often, but I read the game threads a lot. And I'm sick of reading these threads lately, because most of them are just bashing back and forth and it's nauseating to read. I miss good hockey talk.

Habs fans, if the Flyers fans start being annoying, PLEASE just completely IGNORE them. Don't even acknowledge them. Flyers fans, do the same thing on your boards. I'm so sick of this stupid bashing!!!

I'm telling ya, this is the first I heard of this *****. I swear Montreal fans are blind or something. Philly complaining about sucker punches!? I was jumping up and down in my family room because they were doing this ALL DAMN night!!! The kicked was when they knocked down (Kostopuloous behind the net) and the guy punches him (right in front of the ref looking down) smack in the face with his glove. How that isn't 'getting thrown out of the game' or 4 mins right there is BEYOND ME. These refs man, I don't know where they get them, but they lost control on that game. Philly is getting away with a lot of cheap stuff. They should have had double the penalties. Not to mention the fact the ref's (2 of em! to boot) didn't call the slash on Prices hand that knocked the puck out of his catcher and they scored. Totally disgusting. I hope Montreal owns these biatches big time tonite!!! Everyone is also very quick to jump on Price, sure he didn't have a great game but we aren't all perfect. He did make some huge saves. How many must a guy make!? Montreals defence were horrid and their offence dry as hell, but even still I think if that 4th goal didn't go in Montreal would have easily tied it. Philly should thank the refs for that game, imo. And that reporter, jerk oid from the Gazette who turns a blind-eye to the attrocities against Boston and then has the nerves to turn around and comment how lucky montreal was in the 1st game. Lucky I don't see him cuz I'd give him a nice shot in the head for being a total arse.

GO HABS GO!!!

Guest Innis_Mor
Timmonnen will think twice next time.
He was thinking twice from right after the smuck!! His smile was completely gone, wiped from his face, during the post games interview I saw. :D

Guest Refs4Montreal

hopefully the canadians get the classless treatment that the flyers got in montreal (beer thrown on richards) .. in philly, we wouldn't waste that beer!

on another topic, habs fans better hope price found a new glove by tonight .. because it is horrible

Guest burma
hopefully the canadians get the classless treatment that the flyers got in montreal (beer thrown on richards) .. in philly, we wouldn't waste that beer!

on another topic, habs fans better hope price found a new glove by tonight .. because it is horrible

Most of us were ashamed of that. It's sad to hear that you would hope that on someone.

Thread temporarily closed for cleanup.

EDIT: Thread now open. I'm reminding ALL members, Hab and Flyer fans alike, that you had better be on your best behaviour tonight or warnings will be issued and some of you could be suspended for the remainder of this playoff series.

Guest Innis_Mor
Patrice Brisebois, who was a late scratch in Game 2 with a leg injury, will not travel with the team to Philadelphia on Sunday, but might join the team later. He remains in Montreal and will be getting more tests done on his injured leg on Monday.

The Habs held an optional skate Sunday with only 12 players taking to the ice, including the taxi squad. The only regulars who skated were Maxim Lapierre, Mathieu Dandenault and Ryan O'Byrne. - TSN

Good to see O'Byrne on the ice. He needs to keep his feet moving. Dandenault knows what it takes to win...

Dandy's skating at optional practice(s) to:
  • make up some for the limited ice time he is seeing in games; and
  • show he's keen to keep playing and make up for his "165 feet from his own goal" gaff of a penalty last game.
No one would have to even tell him he's on the bubble as to playing or not.

Guest habsfan321

NEWS: TONIGHT'S LINES

WHAT?!? Carbo broke up our third line (Begin-Smolinski-Kostopoulos)!!!!

For tonight's game:

Latendresse-Smolinkski-Kostopoulos

Streit-Begin-Lapierre

Scratch: Dandenault

SOURCE: http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/250754.html

I understand Lats back and Dandenault scratched, but for god sakes keep the thrid line together!

He could have just changed the 4th = (Latendresse-Lapierre-Streit)

EDIT: we just posted the same thing at the same time... that's the downside to a forum I guess...

Guest burma

Ok so, on Saturday night I had a dream, (lol....a vision if you will) about game 3. The Habs really showed up big time and took the play to the Flyers going up 5-0 towards the end of the 3rd. Earlier that day, I had predicted to my uncle that Price would get a shutout in game 3. Much to my dismay however, the Flyers scored a goal with 2:00 minutes left, and the game ended 5-1.

So everyone, let's really hope that my dream was indeed, inspired!!!

Here's to my psychic abilities!!!

Guest d80jcrant
If the Habs want to go deep into the playoffs they need to win one on the road...

They were a very good road team in season. Hopefully tonight will be no different

Guest WindsorHab#10
im just really hoping we stop making biron look amazing....these chances we are getting need to start finding the back of the net.

We need to shoot high on him and put traffic in front.

Archived