The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Would The Montreal Canadiens Consider Launching Their Own 24-hour Network?

HabsHockey_mtl

Guest HabsHockey

I was wondering if anyone thought the Habs might consider launching their own 24-hour television channel, similar to that of the New York Yankees and Real Madrid? I know there is the NHL Network, but this could be a similar model based on that and other clubs around the world that do it. The Montreal Canadiens are the most famous hockey club on the planet and if the Canadiens were to give this consideration, it would give expand the brand even further than what it is today. Perhaps the channel would be allowed to carry exclusive broadcast rights to the team, except for when the CBC decides to broadcast their games for Hockey Night in Canada.

Guest QbGamer

No.

Wouldnt happen, as your stuck what language would the chanel be in? English or French?

French would please most the population of Quebec, but not anywhere else.. Seeing as it would be based on a small % of one provence, It wouldnt work out. If it wasnt in french the die hard quebec fans wouldnt watch, and if its in french, it would be way to small of a demographic to work out. Unless its a really budget station. And if you were going to have a budget station why even bother

I was wondering if anyone thought the Habs might consider launching their own 24-hour television channel, similar to that of the New York Yankees and Real Madrid? I know there is the NHL Network, but this could be a similar model based on that and other clubs around the world that do it. The Montreal Canadiens are the most famous hockey club on the planet and if the Canadiens were to give this consideration, it would give expand the brand even further than what it is today. Perhaps the channel would be allowed to carry exclusive broadcast rights to the team, except for when the CBC decides to broadcast their games for Hockey Night in Canada.

Not a good idea. The Montreal fan base is split between two languages so it could never work the way Leafs TV does. Their simply isn't the market to make the channel profitable.

As for exclusive games, would never happen either. Getting the exclusive rights to live games is difficult in Canada. If Montreal got their own station, it would be specialty station only available on digital cable or satellite in specialty packages, and it would not be big enough to get many, if any games. I'm still surprised Leafs TV was able to grab a few.

Guest Hoyle00cdn
Not a good idea. The Montreal fan base is split between two languages so it could never work the way Leafs TV does. Their simply isn't the market to make the channel profitable.

As for exclusive games, would never happen either. Getting the exclusive rights to live games is difficult in Canada. If Montreal got their own station, it would be specialty station only available on digital cable or satellite in specialty packages, and it would not be big enough to get many, if any games. I'm still surprised Leafs TV was able to grab a few.

Leafs tv grabs more and more each year. Eventually all games will be on Leafs tv except Saturday nights.

Guest Morrighane
No.

Wouldnt happen, as your stuck what language would the chanel be in? English or French?

French would please most the population of Quebec, but not anywhere else.. Seeing as it would be based on a small % of one provence, It wouldnt work out. If it wasnt in french the die hard quebec fans wouldnt watch, and if its in french, it would be way to small of a demographic to work out. Unless its a really budget station. And if you were going to have a budget station why even bother

Actually during series most of us are wathcing it on CBC because of the poor analysis and erratic comments from RDS commentators...

And don't be mistaken, hockey nights in french get an average of 700 000 spectators and over 1.5 million during series, with a record of 2.4 millions when we went in game 7 against Boston ;)

But I do agree I don't think that an exclusive Canadiens channel would do better than the actual RDS. It just wouldn't be profitable a whole year around.

Guest swansee

Sure there would be logistic bugs to work out......I would love to have the "game in an hour" feature especially since I can't get all the games.....next best thing!

It might be worth a trial/pilot run as part of our hundredth anniversary celebrations!!!!

Guest habsfan321

I don't see why they couldn't make it bilingual, sort of like the magazine... (But without repeating the same thing in two languages...)

- Whenever the French is on, they put English subtitles, and when the English is on, they have French subtitles.

AND

- Every even hour (2:00 PM, 4:00 PM ...) en Francais and every odd hour in English (1:00 PM, 3:00 PM...)

Guest HabsHockey

Well actually I think it would be very successful, if it was done right. Realmadrid TV actually has two different channels, one in Spanish and the other in English. Both channels are dedicated to everything that is Real Madrid, i.e. player interviews, magazine shows, live in studio broadcasts, pre-game/post-game shows, and taped games, etc. However the one major difference between RMTV and Habs TV ( Canadiens TV or whatever it might be called) would be that you would have Live broadcasts of games. Now maybe in order to watch them (if you do not live in Montreal) you will still need to subscribe to the NHL Center Ice package, but the channel itself will have all sorts of programs and content build around the hockey club.

Guest HabsHockey

Another thing I forgot to mention was that with RealMadrid TV, that channel is meant to have global appeal and the soccer club has invested a lot of money and resources into making sure it is a success. The team has a partnership with a U.S. company and have created this website ( www.realmadridamerica.com ) for online highlights of the channel. The biggest challenge for the Canadiens would be to find carriage agreements with various cable and satellite companies, who would be willing to carry it on their systems. In the U.S. for example you have a cable company like Comcast, who already has a partnership with the NHL. They are the same company who owns the Philadelphia Flyers and the VS. channel, so perhaps reaching an agreement with them would make sense.

I don't see why they couldn't make it bilingual, sort of like the magazine... (But without repeating the same thing in two languages...)

- Whenever the French is on, they put English subtitles, and when the English is on, they have French subtitles.

AND

- Every even hour (2:00 PM, 4:00 PM ...) en Francais and every odd hour in English (1:00 PM, 3:00 PM...)

LoL, i for one would never ever think about putting subtitles on for a hockey game, it would cover the actual play, and what are you going to be doing, reading what there saying, or watching the game.

Aint going to happen sorry.

LoL, i for one would never ever think about putting subtitles on for a hockey game, it would cover the actual play, and what are you going to be doing, reading what there saying, or watching the game.

LOL you should try once, for it is very funny and could come in handy whenever you feel too stressed out from the game... I mean it is so funny because the person who is making the subtitles is not always a hockey fan and doesn't know how to spell names ( during Boston/Montreal serie the guy just simply couldn't get to spell Krejci, so he was always writing "... pass to [...] " or even " oh and here is [number 46] taking a nice shoot here! " :P

And the subtitles are on top of the screen to make sure you won't miss a shot!

That kind of network won't work here because we don't have enough of good analysts here in Québec and they tend to be a little bit ahemmm.... boring sometimes! ehehe!

:lol::lol: LOL!!! No... obviously not for a hockey game... that ridiculous! The topic was suggesting some sort of 24 hour/round the clock TV station. I meant put subtitles for analysis shows, interviews, commentary, stuff like that...

Besides RDS has a contract with the Habs to be the exclusive French TV broadcasters till 2011 (I think)?

Well even if RDS has exclusive rights to the Habs to that time, they should still be able to launch both an English and French version of the channel, just like Real Madrid has done with RMTV. Now if RDS only has the exclusive French-language rights to the Habs, then that shouldn't prevent the English verison of the channel from broadcasting live games. Realmadrid TV does not carry live games at all (English or Spanish verisons) because in La Liga they have a national contract, just like the NFL has wtih CBS and FOX. Eventually I think they want to carry live games because its makes the channel that more attractive for cable/satellite providers to want to carry it.

Like any upstart business or venture, its going to cost money in the beginning to start the channel. The idea is that it will expand the brand beyond just Montreal/Quebec. The Canadiens are one of the most storied franchsies in all of sports, not just hockey. To create a dedicated channel to them can work, just like it has worked with Real Madrid and what the Maple Leafts are trying to do with Leafs TV. The major difference is that the Maple Leafs are just doing broadcasting Leafs TV to the fans in Toronto. Canadiens TV or Habs TV should be on a much larger and global scale. The ideal behind Realmadrid TV was to expand the brand awareness of Real Madrid around the world. They were trying to sign carriage deals with cable and satellite companies in the U.S., but so far nothing has been announced.

AND

Yeah they could make it like this. But one game in french one game in english. When theres no game make one hour then switch.

It could work if they divided the airtime to say the first show in french then next program in english etc and rotated it back and forth then each demographic would get what they are looking for and english and french 24 hour broadcast of all things HABS.

Well now that the Canadiens got voted the most popular hockey team in Canada and has surpassed the Maple Leafs, perhaps the club will consider launching their own network. Think about the opportunity you could have by not only getting current fans who would want it, but in the process you could gain new fans.

Again the model Real Madrid have set up seems to be the best. They actually have a television studio right inside the Santiago Bernabeau Stadium, where they have player interviews, have a talk show panel, and have sports news. I think its a terrific concept and one in which only a popular club like Real Madrid could pull off.

That's why I think, at least in the beginning the Montreal Canadiens ( ok Maple Leafs too) can do this, because of their brand name and the success they've had in the past.

Archived