The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Canadiens Overtake Leafs As Canada's Team

mortwinkler

Mods, feel free to move this if it doesn't belong here. I haven't seen anything else about it and thought it was about time this came up.

New poll finds Montreal Canadiens considered Canada's hockey team

Module body

MONTREAL - A new poll suggests the Montreal Canadiens have overtaken the Toronto Maple Leafs as Canada's team.

The Canadian Press Harris/Decima survey found 40 per cent of Canadians identified the Habs as the nation's hockey team of choice, compared with 24 per cent for Leafs.

A similar poll last year had the Leafs on top with 24 per cent and the Canadiens trailing with 22 per cent.

The Habs are the only Canadian team remaining in the Stanley Cup playoffs, while Toronto missed post-season action for the third year in a row.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/080429/...l/habs_cda_team

All I can say is....

IT'S ABOUT F'N TIME PEOPLE STOPPED CALLING THE LEAFS CANADA'S TEAM!

Ok, lol, just had to get that out. Now to the "meat" of my post:

As honoured as I am to hear that my team is being called "Canada's Team" I must disagree somewhat with it. Canada's team wears a red and black maple leaf with the white silhouette of a hockey player in the middle. Team Canada is Canada's team. As much as I love the Habs, I don't think ANY NHL team is Canada's team. Six Canadian cities have their own team to cheer for and be proud of. All are important, none more than any other. Having said that, it's nice to see the Habs getting some recognition. :-)

GO HABS GO!!!!

Here's something interesting. I borrowed it from another site.

The following are excerpts from a story on canoe.ca

"A new Canadian Press Harris/Decima survey suggests 40 per cent of Canadians considered the Habs as the country's hockey team of choice, compared with 24 per cent for the Leafs. The Ottawa Senators, Calgary Flames, Edmonton Oilers and Vancouver Canucks were each chosen by only five per cent of those polled."

"As many as 50 per cent of self-described "avid fans" chose the Canadiens as Canada's team."

"Canadians need to identify with a team that represents them somehow," said Decima pollster Alain Cusson.

"Canadians are generally hard-working people who strive for higher ideals and they identified with the Canadiens' dream season."

"They were the choice as Canada's team in every region of the country except Ontario."

All I can say is....

As honoured as I am to hear that my team is being called "Canada's Team" I must disagree somewhat with it. Canada's team wears a red and black maple leaf with the white silhouette of a hockey player in the middle. Team Canada is Canada's team. As much as I love the Habs, I don't think ANY NHL team is Canada's team. Six Canadian cities have their own team to cheer for and be proud of. All are important, none more than any other. Having said that, it's nice to see the Habs getting some recognition. :-)

GO HABS GO!!!!

Canada's Team in NHL,

I think, it means, for us to spell,

it out, with every clout we know,

and with that SHOUT, the word will grow!

Canada Habs its favorite team,

among the top of hockey's cream;

first in east, and last one in,

the playoffs' such selective bin.

GO, GO, GO, HABS CANADA!!

All I can say is....

GO HABS GO!!!!

I think more or less, it's saying that the Canadiens have more fans than the other teams have.

In the last few years, I've rooted for the Sens, Oilers, and Flames when it came down to the Finals. To me, as a transplanted Canadian, I root for the Canadian team in the final. Hopefully, this year, I get to finally root for the Canadien team I want in the finals for the first time since '93.

All I can say is....

GO HABS GO!!!!

I think more or less, it's saying that the Canadiens have more fans than the other teams have.

I guess that explains why Habs fans pushing this cause so hard.

I have been around long enough and have seen it before.

It is all media hype for the Stanley Cup playoffs.

I'm not at all surprised at this result. If you check the Flames, Canucks and Oilers Forums, most of the members there choose the Habs as their 2nd team. Before the Senators came back, Ottawa was about half Habs fans, half Leaf fans. No surprise at all.

GO HABS GO!!

Oh yeah, they HATE the Leafs out west with a passion! LOL Calgary will always like Montreal for the standing ovation we gave them after they became the first (and only) visiting team to win the Cup on Forum ice. Lanny McDonald even mentioned in his "Legends of Hockey" segment how grateful he was for the wonderful treatment he was afforded by the crowd in the Montreal Forum, we put aside the pain of defeat to join him and congratulate him in his long-awaited and well-deserved moment of glory. Because of the history that the Habs and Flames shared in the 80s, the Flames are my second team next to the Habs.

You know what? I don't care if we're Canada's team, nor do I even want the label. I find the idea that one Canadian team can be Canada's team to be insulting to fans of the other five franchises. It's that kind of self-centered mentality that drives me nuts about Leafs coverage. I would never tell a Senators, Flames, Oilers, Canucks, or even Leafs fan that the Canadiens are Canada's team. To me, cheering for my team doesn't mean putting other Canadian franchises down.

Whose team are the Habs? Our team. Who are we? People who love the Montreal Canadiens. That's all I need to know. :)

You know what? I don't care if we're Canada's team, nor do I even want the label. I find the idea that one Canadian team can be Canada's team to be insulting to fans of the other five franchises. It's that kind of self-centered mentality that drives me nuts about Leafs coverage. I would never tell a Senators, Flames, Oilers, Canucks, or even Leafs fan that the Canadiens are Canada's team. To me, cheering for my team doesn't mean putting other Canadian franchises down.

Whose team are the Habs? Our team. Who are we? People who love the Montreal Canadiens. That's all I need to know. :)

My sentiments exactly.

The article is not entirely accurate. It starts by claiming that the Canadiens have overtaken the Toronto Maple Leafs as Canada's team. The Canadiens have ALWAYS been Canada's team, how could they have overtaken them just now? ;)

Lol, true.

Last year they did a similar poll that I was reading and the Leafs were voted Canada's team, followed by Ottawa and then the Habs.

I guess it all depends on who saw the poll, because I didn't, so I didn't vote.

The article is not entirely accurate. It starts by claiming that the Canadiens have overtaken the Toronto Maple Leafs as Canada's team. The Canadiens have ALWAYS been Canada's team, how could they have overtaken them just now? ;)

Lol, true.

Last year they did a similar poll that I was reading and the Leafs were voted Canada's team, followed by Ottawa and then the Habs.

I guess it all depends on who saw the poll, because I didn't, so I didn't vote.

Take the survery again at the start of next season.

Nice outcome for us, but are we the most popular becasue we are in the Playoffs, or are there that many Habs Fans?

If it's the 2nd...ROCK ON!!!

Exactly, these polls are stupid and serve no purpose other than to stir up a rivalry in the canadian hockey market (which is not a difficult task).

Archived