The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Round 2 | Game 5 | Philadelphia @ Montreal | Saturday May 3, 2008 | 7 P.m. Eastern

Conference Semi-final

Round 2 | Game 5 | Philadelphia @ Montreal | Saturday May 3, 2008 | 7 P.m. Eastern

The Goalies

CAREY PRICE

pricekm5.jpg

MARTIN BIRON

bironea8.jpg

Possible lines

Offence

Higgins - Koivu - Kovalev

A.Kostitsyn - Plekanec - S.Kostitsyn

Latendresse - Smolinski - Kostopoulos

Streit - Bégin - Lapierre

Defense

Markov - Komisarek

Hamrlik - O'Byrne

Bouillon - Gorges

Goalies

Price

Halak

My first game thread guys. Hope it's lucky.

We are down 3-1 against a team we should be beating. Credit has to go to Biron for providing stellar goaltending throughout the series.

We can still come back and win this series, we did it a few years back against Boston.

Keys to victory on Saturday:

- goaltending: we need solid goaltending and the defensemen need to clear the front of our net. Our goalies need to see the puck to stop it

- hitting: we have to start hitting like we did early on in the series and getting the loose pucks

- traffic: we have to create traffic in front of Biron, screen him and get alot of pucks on net

I believe we can do this Habs fans.

I BELIEVE

GO HABS GO

I'll post this in here too. Seems appropriate.

I've had a day or so to cool down, and now I can post rationally about my perspective regarding last nights game and what is to come for the rest of this series. First off, I'd like to tip my hat to Marty Biron, because he has been fantastic, and yes, he may be getting some breaks, but you have to be good to be lucky, and right now, he's playing like another "Marty B," that has flustered the habs for so many years. Meanwhile, Steve's penalty at the end of the game was deserved, but seeing as how much the refs let go for both teams last night, that could have been allowed. I will not fault Begin for this loss, because the team can't score, and we should never be down 2-0 in the first place, especially for the third time in three games. He plays hard between the whistles, and that incident was no exception. His line is the reason why we won game 1 and is probably got out of the first round against Boston. The biggest thing I noticed is that the flyers are opportunistic, they play, what seems like, a rope-a-dope style. They take what the other team gives them and capitalizes on their mistake. That's why their is such a great disparity in shots, and why they manage to come out on top. You at least have to give them credit for that. Another reason for the defeat. 2-4 against 0-4. Enough said. it's hard to win when you're biggest strength is your Achilles heel.

All this being said, Montreal has battled hard in this series, and I will argue with anyone who thinks differently. Guy says he still likes their chances, and I'm going to be optimistic and agree. Law of averages has to weigh in at some point. Biron can't keep making 40 saves a game and only allow 2 goals. More traffic placed in front of him and I think they'll chink his armor, even in the third yesterday, I noticed signs of shakiness and concern in Marty. If we could get to him early, that will go a long way in regaining the necessary confidence. They need to keep playing and it will come together next game. Price will be back in net, but I did think Halak was strong other then the first goal. Carey, will be more determined then ever, and I'd be surprised if he let in anything above 2 goals. Theoretically, he can't if Biron continues to play like he has. (Which I don't think he will.) It might just be me, but I feel more confident that this team could battle back, then when they were ahead against the Bruins last series. I think they have what it takes, I think they know they have what it takes, and all they need to do is believe they can. I've said it time and time again. Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and we'll find out what the Canadiens are made of this Saturday. I remember after they'd lost those 3 games in a row, they stormed back with 4, so let's see them do it again. On that note, my prediction is Flyers in 6 or Habs in 7. There is no in between, and I have a strong feeling it's going to be the latter. I truly believe, now let's see them get it done.

LETS GO BOYS!!!!!

I've had a day or so to cool down, and now I can post rationally about my perspective regarding last nights game and what is to come for the rest of this series. First off, I'd like to tip my hat to Marty Biron, because he has been fantastic, and yes, he may be getting some breaks, but you have to be good to be lucky, and right now, he's playing like another "Marty B," that has flustered the habs for so many years. Meanwhile, Steve's penalty at the end of the game was deserved, but seeing as how much the refs let go for both teams last night, that could have been allowed. I will not fault Begin for this loss, because the team can't score, and we should never be down 2-0 in the first place, especially for the third time in three games. He plays hard between the whistles, and that incident was no exception. His line is the reason why we won game 1 and is probably got out of the first round against Boston. The biggest thing I noticed is that the flyers are opportunistic, they play, what seems like, a rope-a-dope style. They take what the other team gives them and capitalizes on their mistake. That's why their is such a great disparity in shots, and why they manage to come out on top. You at least have to give them credit for that. Another reason for the defeat. 2-4 against 0-4. Enough said. it's hard to win when you're biggest strength is your Achilles heel.

All this being said, Montreal has battled hard in this series, and I will argue with anyone who thinks differently. Guy says he still likes their chances, and I'm going to be optimistic and agree. Law of averages has to weigh in at some point. Biron can't keep making 40 saves a game and only allow 2 goals. More traffic placed in front of him and I think they'll chink his armor, even in the third yesterday, I noticed signs of shakiness and concern in Marty. If we could get to him early, that will go a long way in regaining the necessary confidence. They need to keep playing and it will come together next game. Price will be back in net, but I did think Halak was strong other then the first goal. Carey, will be more determined then ever, and I'd be surprised if he let in anything above 2 goals. Theoretically, he can't if Biron continues to play like he has. (Which I don't think he will.) It might just be me, but I feel more confident that this team could battle back, then when they were ahead against the Bruins last series. I think they have what it takes, I think they know they have what it takes, and all they need to do is believe they can. I've said it time and time again. Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and we'll find out what the Canadiens are made of this Saturday. I remember after they'd lost those 3 games in a row, they stormed back with 4, so let's see them do it again. On that note, my prediction is Flyers in 6 or Habs in 7. There is no in between, and I have a strong feeling it's going to be the latter. I truly believe, now let's see them get it done.

LETS GO BOYS!!!!!

Excellent post, I just made one correction to it :)

LETS GO BOYS!!!!!

Very well said - agree on most (if not all) points.

Ok, here's how I feel about the series as of now. I feel so bad for the Habs because they've deserved to win at least 2 or 3 of the 4 games so far. Their play hasn't been bad, but they're frustrated, so they're gripping their sticks too tightly and missing out on opportunities.

I really do believe that they CAN come back and win this series, but I don't think it's very likely. So, I will be happy if they can get one more win in Montreal. I will be EXTREMELY happy if they can pound out a convincing win in Philadelphia, and I will be ECSTATIC if they pull out a 3 game win streak, which is very possible.

Also, 2 positive notes:

The only time that Montreal lost 3 games in a row this season, they came back to win 4 in a row afterwards.

Philly lead the Washington series 3-1, gave it up and barely won game 7 on an OT goal. And, Washington didn't dominate Philly NEARLY as much as we have.

There is still reason to believe...

GO HABS GO!!!

If carbo puts latendresse in the line up again......I can't say that on this forum. Guy has done nothing for the habs in the playoffs, and barely anything in the regular season. He is dead weight, and should be playing for the cyclones with his brother. I cannot understand how and why he finds his way in the line up, he brings the rest of the team down, with his very bad passing, his extremely weak and inaccurate shot, and lack of conviction ( which could be said of many other habs right now). Latendresse is doing nothing to help this team, he never has, so, put in someone with some talent, like a Ryder, or a grabovski (at least he has wheels) or a stewart...Hell, I'd even put the Trotter kid in before I'd put in Latendresse. Please Carbo, come to your senses, Latendresse is useless as a hockey player, play someone who has more than a half an ounce of talent, someone who could possible HIT the net on a shot, or skate!. I believe the habs will win it in 7. They've been outplaying Philly since game one.

GO HABS GO!

To all people living in Montreal, make sure everyone still believe, the team needs their fans. Biron will be shakey at the bell center with our furocious crowd. We will have the momentum going into game 6 and then after winning that we will win game 7 and then bring on the Pens. Very optimistic guys, I feel the most confident I ever been since I was a habs fan coming out of my mother. GO HABS GO GO HABS GO GO HABS GO... Hopefully Bell center is the loudest it has ever been.

Last night was the turning point, we got to Biron, he knows it, Flyer fans know it. The series should be tied. We have momentum now. 2 fast goals got by Biron. The Habs know they can score on him now. I think what ever bad luck they had is done with.The Flyers lack killer instinct, the Caps proved it. Now we are the underdogs and that changes everything.

May the best team win Saturday night...

Well we all know who the best team is.

GO FLYERS GO!!

i don't wanna get banned so i will stay civilized !!! wohooo!!!!! mods where are you ????? theres a dude on the wrong forum that don't know anything about hockey here!!!!! :lol:

Archived