The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Fabian Brunnstrom

js2

I'm concerned that he could be another Janne Lahti...

Well I'd be stupid to say it's impossible he turns out as a bust, but the two situations are completely different. Lahti didn't have 2/3 of the NHL courting him and I don't think he was ever considered a top prospect. I think Lahti was a case of a few fans getting over excited and that quote from Selanee and things just kind of spiralled out of control with him. Kind of like PK Subban before the season. But I doubt any non-Montreal fans have even heard of him, and I don't think he was regarded that highly by scouts or anyone, he was a mid level prospect with some potential

This Brunnstrom is considered by scouts and experts to be one of the best players not in the NHL. Over 20 teams are offering him something, many apparantly a contract similar to what top five overall draft picks get. I don't know how good he is, but I have trouble believing that so many people in the NHL could be this far off if there isn't serious talent there. This was never the case with Lahti, other than Selanee and fans, I don't remember any hype from broadcasters or scouts.

I don't know how good he is, but I have trouble believing that so many people in the NHL could be this far off if there isn't serious talent there.

Doug Wickenheiser, Brian Lawton, Joe Murphy, Alexandre Daigle and Patrik Stefan were all selected first overall at the Entry draft. I'll spare the others who were also selected in the first round who were flops. They often get it right, but they also often miss.

Doug Wickenheiser, Brian Lawton, Joe Murphy, Alexandre Daigle and Patrik Stefan were all selected first overall at the Entry draft. I'll spare the others who were also selected in the first round who were flops. They often get it right, but they also often miss.

But those are the exceptions, more often than not the first round picks work out well. But that's kind of beside the point, I said myself that I'd have to be an idiot to claim there was no way he could be a bust, it's a possibility, but it still isn't the same situation as Lahti, who I don't think was ever overly highly regarded in the first place.

the hype for this guy is CRAZY here in Vancouver. He was apparently ready to sign but then Nonis got fired and the deal didn't go through. People in this town is like SUPER dissapointed, talking like they just missed out on a SUPER UFA. And I am totally against all this hype, I think the guy will be a bust. I was glad the Canucks didn't get him, now they will go out and look for some real scorers.

the hype for this guy is CRAZY here in Vancouver. He was apparently ready to sign but then Nonis got fired and the deal didn't go through. People in this town is like SUPER dissapointed, talking like they just missed out on a SUPER UFA. And I am totally against all this hype, I think the guy will be a bust. I was glad the Canucks didn't get him, now they will go out and look for some real scorers.

Apparently, he only visited Montreal, Dallas and Detroit so it looks like it's between those three teams. The fact that he's not playing with the Swedish team right now kinda makes me wonder how good he actually is...

Apparently one reason he hasn't already signed in Detroit is that he is "demanding" that he be a top 6 forward garunteed for the whole season. Detroit has said they can garuntee him top line time for the first month but nothing past that. I can't understand how you could walk into Detroit as an unproven prospect and demand 1st line time. Hello? Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Franzen, Holmstrom, Cleary, Kopecky etc

Apparently one reason he hasn't already signed in Detroit is that he is "demanding" that he be a top 6 forward garunteed for the whole season. Detroit has said they can garuntee him top line time for the first month but nothing past that. I can't understand how you could walk into Detroit as an unproven prospect and demand 1st line time. Hello? Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Franzen, Holmstrom, Cleary, Kopecky etc

I don't know about that if you had a reference that would be more helpful bro,

what i know is that he is asking for top 6 fwds minutes but he and his agent believes he will not be nhl ready. Gainey believes he is NHL ready my guess he would go to the minors and get his top 6 mins there. And of course he's worth the hype we're talkin about the best player outside the nhl who hasn't been drafted and will sign to a team for less than a million for 3 years you can't lose your not giving anything up for him.

yes it's true. He wants to have gurantee top 6 foward ice time. I am 100% on that because this guy name is talked about everyday on our sports radio station here in Vancouver. He was going to sign with the Canucks because Nonis gave him100%guranteed that he would play with the Sedins and when Nonis got fired and Canucks hired Gillis, everything felt apart. because now the Sedins could be traded and Gillis won't gurantee him top 6 ice time like Nonis did.

Apparently, he only visited Montreal, Dallas and Detroit so it looks like it's between those three teams. The fact that he's not playing with the Swedish team right now kinda makes me wonder how good he actually is...

a team that could use the help no less. can anyone explain why he isn't playing?

The fact that he's not playing with the Swedish team right now kinda makes me wonder how good he actually is...

a team that could use the help no less. can anyone explain why he isn't playing?

no one ever answered the question as to why he's not playing for his country. no one knows? does any one else consider that odd for a guy who just signed a top-level entry contract?
on the contrary, for someone who is GOING to sign a rich contract, not playing for their national team at the World Championship is typical... often, unsigned Canadian free agents will decline the invitation to play as well...

I'm not saying this is the reason he isn't on his national team, just that it's a typical situation for players in his position...

TSN is saying he could be getting over $2M a year. If you ask me I think it's a little too much for someone who's not even sure he can play the North American style of game.

TSN is saying he could be getting over $2M a year. If you ask me I think it's a little too much for someone who's not even sure he can play the North American style of game.
his max salary will be $875k per season, the rest will be bonuses which he must earn...

no one ever answered the question as to why he's not playing for his country. no one knows? does any one else consider that odd for a guy who just signed a top-level entry contract?

Nobody but the manager of the Swedish national team could answer this, its his choice and his views of the balance of the team structure that goes not if a particular player wants in.

I however belive that B-Å Gustavsson (the manager) prefers players with some more experience than Brunnström and thats all there is to it. You have to remember that Fabian only have been in SEL for this season, two years ago he actually was nobody (played in div 3 and last year div 1) and even if you are impressed by a rookie there are other players that you know what you get out of (there are a quite a few of players from our league that I would´ve preferd compared to wich ones that is on this team, (again its the managers job not anybody elses), no national team at the worlds is only in it for the fun and to showcase a prospect, but wants to win. Sometimes a thing like the hype of Brunnström is considerd a distraction as well, then again he might not be good enough at this time. The reasons could be many so anybodys guess is as good as mine really.

To bad he didnt choose Montreal, would´ve been fun to see what he could´ve done there, I wish him good luck in Dallas (wich have a couple of Swedes around his age that I think meant a lot, more so than Detroits becouse most there are abit older. Socially it might be the right chice to fit in and to be able to speak with somebody in your own language and age would be essential to anybody, but especially when you have had a journey like Brunnström and wasnt good enough to furfill your dreams (drafted) and got a second chance becouse of a lateblooming (but still very young 23).

Archived