The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

General Criticism Of Habs Fans And Fans In General

and since this has a lot to do with Carey Price and (mostly) female fans I'll put this in here.

I just found this on the internet just now, this little bloggy thing on Carey Price, and I absolutely cracked up laughing.

Honest to God, some people must look at habs players and think about something akin to The LOve Connection or something or Lavalife. LOL i found it so funny.

http://www.talk-sports.net/nhl/girlfriend.aspx/Carey_Price

but Im gonna go on the serious tip and post my criticisms of this type of behavior and be serious.

I was more like that when I was a teenager girl and I was a hockey fan and some of the hockey players were handsome /hot/whatever.

But now that I am in my 30's almost, and have matured, and I have actually met some celbrities, for example Pat Borders of the Toronto Blue Jays, Paul Henderson, and Guy LaFleur, and I had been a member of the Pavel Bure Fan club for a number of years which got you kind of telling people all about what Pavel was like as a person, and not just about his hockey skills, I'd like to offer my criticism of some fans who go nuts over celebrities.

It is my opinion now since Ive had that mindset when i was younger and know what its like, about this blog, it is my opnion that people go mad over people like Cery Price and whatnot because they are famous sport stars. I've a feeling that if Price didnt do what he is doing, if he werent a famous young goalie, these people, I'd even calll some of them groupies because its what they are acting like , wouldnt probably think twice about him.

Its also my opinion (and I've read this out of Pavel's own mouth from the PBFC because he read every issue edition that ever came out at the time so its his opinion as well) that older fans who do this and go wild, celebs dont want to be liked just for what they do and their job. If they go for a girl, the person would have to like them for the people they are, not just for the star they think they are, because that is only an illusion. Pavel also said that the younger teens who do it, he doesnt mind them because they're young and dont fully know what they are doing. but he said , and I quote,

"So what if I play hockey? How does that make me better? It doesnt make me better any more so than a normal guy".

I agree.

Thoughts?

I'd like to hear people's thoughts about fans and these things.

for the record, yes, I do think Carey Price is handsome, yes I do think he's a cute little fellow.

but I only became his fan because of his hockey skills; and to a lesser degree because he's a hab. I have no idea what he's like as a person, I do not know the fellow.

That is one of the biggest beefs I have with people like these bloggers, as I have explained above.

While celebs are happy people appreciate their talents I do think they'd also like it if people made an attempt to get to know them as people and not just as a talent or someone famous.

Almost makes me glad I am not a celeb. Its harder to tell who is your real friend and who really likes you from people who only like you because your famous and have good looks.

what the.....?

Not my kind of people.

Aaarggghhhh! You would make me think, wouldn't you? :P

It’s a little thing called downward social comparison. When somebody like Lindsay Lohan checks herself into rehab, we take the opportunity to judge and pat ourselves on the back. (Good job, Irene. No rehab this year, and you always wear underwear!) Or when somebody like Roger Clemens has his steroid fiasco (Good job, Jimbo. No impotency and further medical complications for you, and you can be proud becasuse you didn't cheat!)

Whatever the case, the consumer population propagates this subculture. For example, visiting blogs about drug use and gossip about celebrity love lives like they were the most important thing happening in the world today.

We encourage and more importantly financially support this culture where privacy is a commodity and talent seems less and less important. I don’t know if it is good, bad, or just ridiculous. Downward or upward social comparison and exploitation of privacy culminate in a society where we encourage open and often cruel analysis of other peoples’ lives as a means to perhaps forget or legitimize our own.

Oh, and it's not just women. There are plenty of men, and you can find them on this very board, who have substantial Man Crush's on celebrities, famous people, and the players on this team. Heck, just visit one of the 'hot button' players threads, like the Koivu thread :lol: , and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about.

and since this has a lot to do with Carey Price and (mostly) female fans I'll put this in here.

I just found this on the internet just now, this little bloggy thing on Carey Price, and I absolutely cracked up laughing.

Honest to God, some people must look at habs players and think about something akin to The LOve Connection or something or Lavalife. LOL i found it so funny.

http://www.talk-sports.net/nhl/girlfriend.aspx/Carey_Price

but Im gonna go on the serious tip and post my criticisms of this type of behavior and be serious.

I was more like that when I was a teenager girl and I was a hockey fan and some of the hockey players were handsome /hot/whatever.

But now that I am in my 30's almost, and have matured, and I have actually met some celbrities, for example Pat Borders of the Toronto Blue Jays, Paul Henderson, and Guy LaFleur, and I had been a member of the Pavel Bure Fan club for a number of years which got you kind of telling people all about what Pavel was like as a person, and not just about his hockey skills, I'd like to offer my criticism of some fans who go nuts over celebrities.

It is my opinion now since Ive had that mindset when i was younger and know what its like, about this blog, it is my opnion that people go mad over people like Cery Price and whatnot because they are famous sport stars. I've a feeling that if Price didnt do what he is doing, if he werent a famous young goalie, these people, I'd even calll some of them groupies because its what they are acting like , wouldnt probably think twice about him.

Its also my opinion (and I've read this out of Pavel's own mouth from the PBFC because he read every issue edition that ever came out at the time so its his opinion as well) that older fans who do this and go wild, celebs dont want to be liked just for what they do and their job. If they go for a girl, the person would have to like them for the people they are, not just for the star they think they are, because that is only an illusion. Pavel also said that the younger teens who do it, he doesnt mind them because they're young and dont fully know what they are doing. but he said , and I quote,

"So what if I play hockey? How does that make me better? It doesnt make me better any more so than a normal guy".

I agree.

Thoughts?

I'd like to hear people's thoughts about fans and these things.

Whatever happened to YannFan????????

Aaarggghhhh! You would make me think, wouldn't you? :P

It’s a little thing called downward social comparison. When somebody like Lindsay Lohan checks herself into rehab, we take the opportunity to judge and pat ourselves on the back. (Good job, Irene. No rehab this year, and you always wear underwear!) Or when somebody like Roger Clemens has his steroid fiasco (Good job, Jimbo. No impotency and further medical complications for you, and you can be proud becasuse you didn't cheat!)

Whatever the case, the consumer population propagates this subculture. For example, visiting blogs about drug use and gossip about celebrity love lives like they were the most important thing happening in the world today.

We encourage and more importantly financially support this culture where privacy is a commodity and talent seems less and less important. I don’t know if it is good, bad, or just ridiculous. Downward or upward social comparison and exploitation of privacy culminate in a society where we encourage open and often cruel analysis of other peoples’ lives as a means to perhaps forget or legitimize our own.

Oh, and it's not just women. There are plenty of men, and you can find them on this very board, who have substantial Man Crush's on celebrities, famous people, and the players on this team. Heck, just visit one of the 'hot button' players threads, like the Koivu thread :lol: , and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about.

LOL

I make everybody think....Im a thinker after all hehe

my friends always say I ask essay questions :P:P

well i did mention it once to my dad today when i got another price pic off the net I said He really is cute. The young girls are going to have a field day with him

and then my dad said " or maybe Carey price will have a field day with them young girls"

and i said "LOL that too"

:P

I used to be more like that when i was a teen but not so much anymore....when i like celebrities I appreciate them as people and for their talents (even though Mom still teases me Aw ye just likes Price for his looks.....yea whatever. The reason I noticed him at all is because of his play vs Boston....it is like seeing Patrick Roy all over again.

But I did notice Martin Biron as well. and what I noticed about him is that hes a good goalie but he seems nice as well and gentlemanly. He was practically the most gentlemanly flyer there. He even had some nice words for Carey about Carey at the end of the game tonight. I think he was the nicest Flyer in the whole series i think.

I like that about celbrities. when they have nice talent + being nice people. That is something I think the young girls dont go for. I did when I was a teen, I really liked Mario Lemieux. but not just for his looks and talent. He struck me as a nice man. and thats what I liked about him.

Thos is something I think the young girls should think about....and dont most of the time.

and I personally think that is something that Carey Price and any celebrity would like in their fans, for them to appreciate more than just looks and talent if they have crushes. They want to be appreciated as people....and arent a lot of the time. Thats my beef with these kind of fans.

Unfortunately, this is the reason why many female sports fans are not taken seriously.

it makes you wonder if they're a fan cuz they think he's a good player, or is it cuz they think he's handsome?

and that was definitely true in my case....when i was a young hockey fan in my teens I had to prove myself.

and I did. One time one of our junior high school teachers entered a contest in which he had to name NHL players for an all star team. Many of the boys in my class said they'd do it but when i said I would too they just lol'd at me thinking I'd name some half cut player just cause he's handsome. So when I named a lineup for an all star team I was definitely under some scrutiny.

when i was finished they wanted to see.....and what a surprise they got when they found out I actually knew my NHL hockey players and I knew what I was talking about.

But uuum, yeah. These types of females just make it hard for us who do know what we talk about to get taken seriously.

I like Price, Kovalev, Koivu, Bure and etc mostly for talent. Looks is nice but shouldnt even be the main reasonto idolize a celebrity.

Archived