The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Playoff Player Report Card

coach1234

Saku (A+) Brilliant, proved to everyone who doubted him why is our captain and #1 center

Higgins ( C) His inconsistency from the season followed him into the playoffs, all those open nets, he could have easily had 16 goals, it's a shame he can't bury them because he's the best player on our team at finding open ice for scoring chances

Kovalev ( B+) Maybe because I compared him to his regular season play, but looked uninterested at times, but scored huge goals for us when we needed

Plekanec ( B ) He knew he played bad in the Boston series, but made up for it in the Philli series, he was all over the place and was always in fron of Biron ready to look for a loose puck. His development throught his 3 years have been incredible.

Sergei( B ) This kid has so much heart and determination, probably one of the toughest players on our team. Brilliant passes, his only downfall is his lack of shooting.

Andrei( B-) He showed flashes of Brilliance, there were times when you thought he was our most dominate player, but his player was inconsistent from period to period.

Smolinski ( B ) Did expect him to play the way he played, gave it his all.

Kostopoulos(A-) Was this guy a blessing or what? Showed everyone what it means to play with all your heart!

Begin(C+) Steve is Steve, does what he does best, play with heart and take stupid penalties.

Lappiere(C+) Can we give this guy people to play with!!? He played with defensemen all series long!!! He's great though, can't say anything bad.

Latendresse (E-) Brutal, very Brutal, played 1 good shift a game and basically floated and waited for pucks at the blueline, he seems to be getting worse and worse since his first season.

Dandenault (F) Brutal as well, I don't even want to waste my breath

Streit (E+) Did this guy look terrified or what!? Terrible.

Markov(C+) Good defensively, Brutal offensively, made terrible decisions!

Komesarek( C ) not the same since coming back injury

Hamrlik (A) Always dependable

Brisebois( B ) Terrible defensivly, brilliant in the offensive zone, exceeded my expectations

Gorges (A) This kid is amazing!!!

Boullion(A) A lot of heart, never quits!

O'Byrne(N/A) Didn't play enough games, but I loved what I saw, needs to work on his breakout passing.

Price ( B ) too inconsistent

Halak(N/A) Can't judge on one game

Carbonneau(F) Brutal coaching, when you score a goal, you dont put out your 4th line. And when are you going to learn that you don't play you're 4th line when less than 3 min left!! You lost 3 games in these playoffs because of it!! Can You learn a bit!!

Price had a really bad time in the playoffs. Besides the two shutouts, he played well below average. I wouldn't give him anything higher than a C-. I hope he can be more dependable in the 2009 playoffs, I have faith that he can. He's a great goalie and probably just had way too much pressure on him.

I don't know why everyone is so cheery abut Koivu. He had to brilliant games then started a decline to his season play-level (which in my books wasn't so good). He had a large number of points, but he seemed to lose the high level of passion he showed in his first two games. Maybe it's unfair to compare his level to his level of returning to the ice with something to prove -- but really, in a playoff game it wasn't as consistent of a level as I would expect. You look at what Briere brought on the ice every shift compare to Koivu and I stand by my critical commentary.

Kovalev was checked hard in the playoffs and retreated a bit because of it. Perhaps the separation of his line was a hit to his confidence. Regardless he got goals when he was needed but by the third game with Higgins and Koivu it was clear he didn't adjust to playing with them very well. He was firing off passes expecting them to expect it [and of course they didn't]. He looked more comfortable with Plekanec and Kostistyn, and getting himself in front of the net was really important in the last game. It could easily be argued he should have done that a lot sooner, but even with the results, I'm not too comfortable parking the top point getter in front of the net all game. Just shows Carbo should have sent someone there sooner and planned it more consistently.

Honorable mention players: Sergei, Smolinski, Kostopulus, and Brisebois

Players who went missing: Komisarek, Begin, Streit, and Markov

The rest were somewhere in between or going back and forth game to game. Latendresse was more missing than not when he played, but he didn't get much of a chance -- don't know if more of a chance would have helped.

Overall, I think the team will be better next year as they continue to grow up. A shame Ryder likely won't be back to try again.

big strides were made but lack of heart hurt us, guys that were expected to bring heart didnt IMO. unfortunatley komi was hurt and never recovered, markov looked very weak, streit couldnt adjust, higgins can't seem to take the next step and finally price played like he was supposed to which was not what we HOPED he wouldnt. all in all im happy with what we did this year but honestly, i think we need some more canadien born players on the team. Not trying to bring the whole europeen thing up again but we really needed a couple ryan smyth type players on this team. koivu did his best but he needs that secondary leadership role to be more vocal. higgins doesn't play good enough to earn the A on his sweater and neither is a vocal guy on the ice, and kovalev is good at leading by example but when he doesnt lead by example his vocal leadership doesnt make up for it. I like this team but it was evident that we lack that " i speak you listen" attitude that a gary roberts, ryan smyth etc type guy can bring.Saku is a good captain but he really needs that secondary guy to step up when saku doesnt.

im happy with this team, we should of finished 13th but finished first and made it to the second round. if we did this with a

very young team imagine what we could do when they are all in their prime.

Price was B+ in the first round and D in the second round. As said the only real difference.

A lot was said of the fourth line and they played great vs Boston, but then tailed off vs the Flyers

As a line they were A first round and C second round

Koivu was an A in both rounds, but unfortunately his goals didn't mean a whole lot. None of them lead to the team coming back to win the game

Kovalev was a B in the first round and a C+ in the second round in my opinion. He wasn't playing his best hockey, but he came through in crucial moments more then any other player in the playoffs In the first round he was involved in 3 game winning goals. In the second round he was involved in the goals that lead to the team coming back to win the only game they won in the series. In game 5 he raised his game up playing with his old linemates, but like with Koivu it just wasn't enough to overcome bad defensive play and goaltending.

Andrei K was a C+ in both rounds. He came up with some big goals here and there. Hes still very young and will get better.

Sergei K was a B+ in round one and a B in round two. He did more then you probably could ask of him at 20 years of age.

Higgens C- round one and D round two. Higgens had trouble finishing all series long and he doesn't appear to read his linemates very well. Put him on the third line next year please.

Laps D in both rounds. He only seemed to do anything in game 5 of the Flyers series

Streit D- in both rounds. He scored one big goal I can recall the entire playoffs. The rest of the time he was turning the puck over for odd man rushes against - Apparently he was still injured from the regular season

Markov D in both rounds. Like Streit he was turned the puck over for breakaways a lot and didn't cover his man in front of the net. Also like Streit he appeared to be injured.

Komisarek D in both rounds. He had a strong regular season, but again a weak playoff performance. Another guy that apparently did not recover from his regular season injury fully and was playing hurt.

Brezbois - B in the first round and C in the second round. He was the only good point man on the powerplay in the first round of the playoffs He also made a lot of bad turnovers leading to odd man rushes against and didn't cover players in front of the net many times.

Buillion - C in both rounds. He was not very good in the playoffs. Another guy playing injured apparently.

Hamerlik C in both rounds. He had some good moments and some bad ones. Not bad overall though.

Lats F in both rounds. He did nothing except hit the post in the final game for the most part.

Halak C He only played one game and didn't play that great either.

Dandanault F He didn't do anything.

With all the injuries to the defense is it any wonder the Habs struggled defensively in the playoffs?

Plekanec D first round and C+ second round. The little girl started to fly in vs the Flyers, but it was to late. I think he is going to be a really good player. His speed is remarkable and his passes are crisp. He also has a knack for getting the goalie out of position and deflecting shots from the point.

every fan is part of this team,they should also be grading themselves..

Habs fans..A..Habs fans are great people, and care passionately about the team, and the Habs Organization

slode..C+..lots of passion,motivational knowledge,has difficulty spealling habs names,lost whole grade from ,mistake,my obliviousness to Philly's strength, and too critical of American ideals

Price. B+..lacks confidence going out of net area, needs improvement in glove hand,nasty rebounds,amazing on one on ones

Halak B..has confidence in his style

Koivu..B+..still a enormous threat to opposition,has major play iniative,passion,is the Thierry Henry of hockey

Kovalev..A..let him play without a helmet, and we got the cup!,,dynamic talent, very good finisher,needs to take control more, but his points speak for themselves

Kostopoulos..A..ablility to motivate team,hard working,driven, has energy and achieves positive results in heightening performance in playoffs

Plekanecs.A...has the potential to be a Kovalev,Kessel style player,has bright future,needs to take the Carbs class on Def.Offence, and use his goal scoring ability more consistently..great against Philly with Kovalev

Higgins B..was not as consistent as he was playing with Ryder, and inconsistent in playoffs,but is always accountable and is solid offender,and point man

Markov..B-..just a few glimpses of why he is a so passionately loved by Quebecors,he has greatness in him,but what will it take to be released,has the odd remarkable pass,can be seen as lazy sometimes,has the ability to be a habs great point man and strong in defense, could be Orr type player, if he had centers or wings to fall back for him

thats it for now..ill post somemore l8r,,its not an easy process..btw..the 5th game was great..left point man ..LW..on occassions sucked..as well as our defensive speed at times..Thanks Habs..we're all proud

Unfortunately, I wouldn't give any of our forwards higher than a C... To score goals, you have to hit the net, not the end boards.

If we had one player who could shoot straight, it might have made a big difference in the series.

I give all the players and the Habs organization an 'A'.

Comon fans!!!! I've seen more desire and heart in this years edition of the Habs - than I've seen in along time - and they all deserve cudos for this SEASON - as a TEAM.

If we expect every player to be a Saku or Kovey - forget about it!! It just does NOT exist. If the future is bright for our team it's because the combination of 'A's, 'B's and 'C's etc... form a team where every player contributes with their amount of talent. That some of us believe that certain players should of been 'A's - WILL NOT HAPPEN! I will not take away the opinion and desires of fans for looking for something out of a player that is not there - but to INDIVIDUALLY look at performance does NOT work with a TEAM SPORT.

I guess if it makes some people happy to grade individuals to supress the sadness of being out of the playoffs - I can understand that - but if this came down to individual blame - there would be the players name on the front of the sweater as opposed to the 'CH' - the greatest hockey sports emblem in the world!!!!

Price C+ -- For a young goalie he had a good playoff. He gained some experience and although he let in some questionable goals, I expected that.

Koivu A -- He was good, came up big when he needed too, was consistent on face-offs and provided some positive energy in the Boston series.

Kovalev C+ -- He scored goals but only at home. Was a -6 on the road and had no goals. Ugh.

A.Kostitsyn B -- He was streaky and disappeared on the road, like Kovalev. For his first playoff he exceeded my expectations.

S.Kostitsyn C -- Made critical mistakes in the neutral zone against Philly. Controled the puck well but didn't finish when it seemed like he could. For a twenty year old called up this year, he has a very bright future. He should probably hit the gym.

Plekanec B- -- Pleaknec was good when he needed to be. One of the only players who could finish at times. Good on the road, and used his speed well. SHould have shot the puck a little more.

Higgins B- -- Played a good two way game. Hustled every shift.

Markov C- -- Kind of disappeared offensively.

Komisarek C+ -- He was exposed here. He could not handle shifty forwards with speed.

Hamrlik A- -- Hit when he could, chipped in with a couple goals and moved the puck well. Probably the best defenseman in the playoffs.

Brisebois C- -- Not physicality. Moved the puck well to compensate.

Gorges B+ -- Got outplayed physically but made up with it with good position.

Bouillon B+ -- Was using his speed well against Philly but was exposed a bit in the defensive zone.

Latendresse D- -- He played pretty bad, looked slow and couldn't finish.

Lapierre A- -- For his role he played awesome. Had heart every shift.

Kostopulos A+ -- Again, for a grinder he did extremely well.

Smolinski C+ -- I expected him to win more face-offs and to shut down opposing forwards rather than try and match their skill.

Begin C- He hit well and forechecked hard but did not have a lot of results.

Dandenault D- He was the worst player on the team in this years playoffs. I think he is done.

Streit C- -- I said all along that he should have been put back on defense against Philly, he couldn't handle it in Boston because the forwards were bigger. He had one highlight reel goal and one highlight reel pass, that's it.

However, the team exceeded my expectations this year. I never would have expected them to have home ice in the playoffs over teams like Pitt, NY, and Ottawa. Therefore, Gainey and the Organizations get an A+ because he traded away the starting goaltender and they still came in first place.

Carbo is still learning so I give him a B. He made some weird moves in the playoffs.

CARBS IS A GREAT, he is new as coach, and we have been improving since last year,,so he is missing a few important coaching skills,he'll pick 'em up..Id like to see Scotty come back to teach him some..coachn stuff,,you can't be giving any habs less than a B-,,they had some great accomplishments, and maybe you should grade yourself, as honest and loyalty goes

Price B-

Koivu A

Kovalev B-

A.Kostitsyn B+

S.Kostitsyn B

Plekanec B-

Higgins C+

Markov C

Komisarek C+

Hamrlik B-

Brisebois C

Gorges B+

Bouillon C-

Latendresse F

Lapierre B+

Kostopulos A-

Smolinski B-

Begin C

Dandenault F

Streit C

A= excellent

A-= great

B+= very good

B= good

B-= good but inconsitent

C+= average

C= below average

C-= mediocore but passed

D= Failed/terrible

11 points in 12 games and you give Kovalev a C? :blink:
Apparently A+ for Koivu because of his point production.. :blink: I finished reading the thread after the second line when he wrote this.
Kovalev C+ -- He scored goals but only at home. Was a -6 on the road and had no goals. Ugh. Smolinski C+ -- I expected him to win more face-offs and to shut down opposing forwards rather than try and match their skill.
:lol::lol::lol::lol: you give the same grade for these two players. :blink: I wish I went against you in an office pool.

:lol::lol::lol::lol: you give the same grade for these two players. :blink: I wish I went against you in an office pool.

Are you kidding me? They have different roles entirely and I give them both a C+ for their roles. Smolinski was supposed to be a shut down guy, Kovalev is supposed to be the team's impact player, therefore I give can give them the same grade.

It's the same reason I gave Kostopolous an A and Koivu and A. Kostopolous was an extremely talented player for his first playoff in his role as a grinder. Koivu did a heck of a lot for the team and an offensive player and as the team's captain.

Why would you think I am grading the individuals on the team as having all the same skill sets? :lol:

Centers!

Saku Koivu (A+)

Showed us why, once again, he is the captain of our team.

Tomas Plekanec (B-)

He really showed up near the end, but unfortunately it was too little too late.

Bryan Smolinski (B-)

Bad season, alright post-season. He played well against Boston, but the wheels fell off when Philadelphia started taking advantage of our defensive zone lapses. Didn't seem like the same guy in the face-off dot as he was against Boston, too.

Maxim Lapierre (A-)

Great post-season for Maxim. I am excited to see him get there again.

Wingers

Alexei Kovalev (B+)

Showed flashes of brilliance, but was shutdown when it mattered the most.

Andrei Kostitsyn (B-)

Was inconsistent, but had good scoring totals to end the playoff run! He obtained some very valuable experience. Let's see how he follows it up in 2008-2009, huh?

Sergei Kostitsyn (C+)

Like his brother, inconsistent. He also had good point totals for a rookie, but took a step backwards from his regular season play, I thought.

Christopher Higgins (B+)

Worked tirelessly throughout almost the entire post-season. He's still nowhere near being clutch when it comes to scoring goals, but we should all get over hoping he will be a 35 goal man.

Tom Kostopoulos (B+)

Played a good "grinder" game, but seemed to taper off as the series was winding down. The Kimmo Timmonen incident seemed to be detrimental to his play, afterwards.

Steve Begin (B+)

Good sacrifice of the body for the betterment of the team. He's the kind of player you need to win playoff series. One bad penalty cannot overshadow an otherwise stellar performance for an energy guy.

Guillaume Latendresse (C+)

Inconsistent with his play. Showed an alright nose for the net, but didn't finish many plays during this post-season.

Mathieu Dandenault (C-)

Entirely forgettable during the playoffs.

Mark Streit (C-)

Took the most obvious step backwards in his play. Looked absolutely awful on the PP, and wasn't making strides in any other aspects of his game, either. One nice goal, but not enough to overlook his poor play.

Michael Ryder (C-)

Who?

Defensemen

Andrei Markov (B-)

Injuries really slowed down ol' Markov.

Mike Komisarek (B-)

See above.

Roman Hamrlik (A)

Our best defenseman for most of the regular season, and into the post-season. Promote this guy to assistant captain, I say! He soldered on during the playoffs and showed true leadership.

Josh Gorges (B+)

Steady!

Francis Bouillon (B-)

He played well for a number 5-6 defenseman, but won't amount to anything more on this team. Unfortunate turnover led to Philadelphia's series-clinching goal.

Ryan O'Byrne (B+)

He gained valuable experience, and has earned, in my opinion, rights to playing with Hamrlik for next season.

Goaltenders

Carey Price (B-)

Played well at times, not so well at other times. The experience is great. He will be stronger next season when we make it back to the post-season.

Jaroslav Halak (B-)

One game of relief work, basically. Was steady, but not good enough.

Wingers

Alexei Kovalev (B+)

He is the only player on the team who scored or setup goals that made any difference in winning or losing throughout the playoffs. Others scored goals, but it usually wasn't involving the game winner. I thought he did better then anyone in coming through with a goal when it acutally made a difference between winning and losing a game.

I give our forwards a C+

our defense a C-

our Goaltending a C-

I know we didn't get it done in this round but it was a learning experience and for that I say we deserve a passing grade and in our whole team concept we had some forwards who seem to put out more than others,the same goes for our defense and not to make excuses for them but I think we had a couple of injuries back there that the boys were not telling anyone about.The goaltending well I say in the most important position come playoff time where everything is magnified X 100 and we with not 1 but 2 inexperienced goalies in the playoffs at this level I say that they handled themselves pretty well,I know at times seeing the goals how they were scored was hard to take,but in this pressure cooker called Montreal Price and Halak did okay and will only make them stronger for years to come.

Centers!

Saku Koivu (A+)

Showed us why, once again, he is the captain of our team.

Tomas Plekanec (B-)

He really showed up near the end, but unfortunately it was too little too late.

Bryan Smolinski (B-)

Bad season, alright post-season. He played well against Boston, but the wheels fell off when Philadelphia started taking advantage of our defensive zone lapses. Didn't seem like the same guy in the face-off dot as he was against Boston, too.

Maxim Lapierre (A-)

Great post-season for Maxim. I am excited to see him get there again.

Wingers

Alexei Kovalev (B+)

Andrei Kostitsyn (B-)

Was inconsistent, but had good scoring totals to end the playoff run! He obtained some very valuable experience. Let's see how he follows it up in 2008-2009, huh?

Sergei Kostitsyn (C+)

Like his brother, inconsistent. He also had good point totals for a rookie, but took a step backwards from his regular season play, I thought.

Christopher Higgins (B+)

Worked tirelessly throughout almost the entire post-season. He's still nowhere near being clutch when it comes to scoring goals, but we should all get over hoping he will be a 35 goal man.

Tom Kostopoulos (B+)

Played a good "grinder" game, but seemed to taper off as the series was winding down. The Kimmo Timmonen incident seemed to be detrimental to his play, afterwards.

Steve Begin (B+)

Good sacrifice of the body for the betterment of the team. He's the kind of player you need to win playoff series. One bad penalty cannot overshadow an otherwise stellar performance for an energy guy.

Guillaume Latendresse (C+)

Inconsistent with his play. Showed an alright nose for the net, but didn't finish many plays during this post-season.

Mathieu Dandenault (C-)

Entirely forgettable during the playoffs.

Mark Streit (C-)

Took the most obvious step backwards in his play. Looked absolutely awful on the PP, and wasn't making strides in any other aspects of his game, either. One nice goal, but not enough to overlook his poor play.

Michael Ryder (C-)

Who?

Defensemen

Andrei Markov (B-)

Injuries really slowed down ol' Markov.

Mike Komisarek (B-)

See above.

Roman Hamrlik (A)

Our best defenseman for most of the regular season, and into the post-season. Promote this guy to assistant captain, I say! He soldered on during the playoffs and showed true leadership.

Josh Gorges (B+)

Steady!

Francis Bouillon (B-)

He played well for a number 5-6 defenseman, but won't amount to anything more on this team. Unfortunate turnover led to Philadelphia's series-clinching goal.

Ryan O'Byrne (B+)

He gained valuable experience, and has earned, in my opinion, rights to playing with Hamrlik for next season.

Goaltenders

Carey Price (B-)

Played well at times, not so well at other times. The experience is great. He will be stronger next season when we make it back to the post-season.

Jaroslav Halak (B-)

One game of relief work, basically. Was steady, but not good enough.

Without too many details - only 3 players on this team performed at or above expectations in the playoffs

Koivu - any naysayers can go away now, only skilled player who looked like he was trying and delivered.

Kosto and Begin - expectations were not that high but they both played pretty well and contributed beyond the norm - even with that crappy penalty by Begin.

Everyone else was below or WELL below expectations.

Lets not forget folks that this was the SAME team that stunk it up for a few weeks during the season, couldn't beat any good competition and looked lost. No changes were made at the dealine and we went into playoffs with the same personael that got punked by Ottawa all year. Team relied way too much on their PP and frankly were/are much too easy to play against. I think the term is "soft"

I hope to have seen the last of

Brisebois, Latendresse, Smolinski, Ryder, Dandenault..lets give Stewart, Grab and Chip a chance

Archived