The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

An Open Letter To The 2007-2008 Montreal Canadiens

With the 2007-2008 (post-) season now at an (unfortunately early) end, I'd like to say a few things. I am not going to gripe and moan about the past, but am looking to 08-09. I feel this could be a place for calm, honest thoughts to be collected and discussed.

I did a letter like this last year, following the Game 82 loss in Toronto. While the original thread is still out there, I thought it would be better to write a new one for this season. I may do this every year, just for the heck of it.

Mods: if you feel the need to merge this thread with the older one, I won't complain.

Anyway...

To The Team: Thank you very much. What a season! In September, all the "experts" put you between 8th and 15th in the Eastern Conference, and where do you end up? #1, with the most goals-for in the entire NHL. They all thought the powerplay would collapse with the loss of Sheldon Souray, and you kept it at #1. You staged the greatest comeback in franchise history against the Rangers. You never lost more than 3 in a row (until Philly came along). You rolled 4-2 through the dreaded Christmas road trip. You owned Boston (at least until Round 1; you Cardiac Kids are going to kill me one day!!!), and continued to sell out 21,273 seats every night with the loudest, most electric, fanatical crowd in the NHL, that I hope I get to finally be a part of next year. Bring on 2008-2009. This is YOUR TIME!

To Alex Kovalev: Bravo. Standing Ovation. That was one hell of a comeback, my friend. From 18 goals to 35. From 47 points to 84. From a -19 to a +18. I hope you can do it again, and I'm going to buy your DVD! In addition to your own accomplishments this year, you are also passing the torch to the next generation, mentoring the young ones. May they carry it high!

To Carey Price: You stole games and you made rookie mistakes. So did Ken Dryden and Patrick Roy. You are not Ken Dryden or Patrick Roy. You know this. You are Carey Price. You did extremely well in your first season with the big boys, and I'm sure you will do very well in seasons to come. Bob Gainey said "here you go, kid, do your thing" and you did. Don't let the playoffs pressure cooker get you down though. After winning Gold in Junior, then the Calder in the AHL, you've been busy winning for the past 2 years. Now you know what it feels like to not win. You're a competitive guy. You know losing sucks, bad. Channel that negative energy and come back strong in October. Enjoy your summer phone-free fishing trip. Can't wait to see you next season.

To The 2007-2008 Rookies: Back in September, a certain "anonymous" hockey rumour blogger said that "...the Habs will be this years Sabers..." He was right and he was wrong. Your speed tells me he was right, but I'd rather compare you to the 06-07 Penguins than the Sabers. You are all VERY good at what you do, but you needed playoff experience. Now you've got that. My advice, for what it's worth: Take it with you next year. Treat every game, from October through June(!) as if it's Game 7. You are the future of this glorious team, and I'm wearing my shades for a good reason. It's bright. B)

To Coach Guy Carbonneau: Awesome season, coach. You learned from your first year, and continue to lead this team forward. And to be in the running for the Jack Adams Award, Congrats! You've earned it! Keep up the good work. My only advice to you: after a big win or a "garbage" win, don't slack off on the practices. Keep the guys ready, because things can change very quickly in today's NHL. Just ask the Ducks, Sens, Canes, and Oilers from the last 2 years: Cup finalists/winners to out/round 1 out in just one season.

To GM Bob Gainey: #23 is up there for a good reason. Keep up the great work you've been doing. You don't have to sigh a Danny Briere just because he's Danny Briere. You don't have to give away the farm for Marian Hossa just because he's Marian Hossa. You 're not looking for the best players, you're looking for the right ones. And you have a keen insight to that end. In September, everyone said "Hamrlik replacing Souray?!?" Well folks, he's a big reason we only had 222 goals against this year vs. last years 256. Kostopolous and Smolinsky for Johnson and Bonk? Grit and veteran presence. Huet for a 2nd rounder? Faith in Price and Halak, justified. You've built your promised Cup contender, a year ahead of schedule, in my humble opinion. We're on our way.

And finally, to everyone here at The Forum: Thank you again for yet another great season. Once again, I was stuck in the hockey wasteland that is the Mississippi Gulf Coast, and you all gave me insight, opinions, rantings, ravings, news, rumours, facts, stats, questions, and answers to all things relating to the greatest hockey team on Earth. Come next season, I'll be a little further north, where I can actually see more than 1 or 2 games on TV, and I'll be within a (long) day's drive of Le Centre Bell. I'll still be here though, Waiting for Cup 25...

GO HABS GO!!!

With the 2007-2008 (post-) season now at an (unfortunately early) end, I'd like to say a few things. I am not going to gripe and moan about the past, but am looking to 08-09. I feel this could be a place for calm, honest thoughts to be collected and discussed.

I did a letter like this last year, following the Game 82 loss in Toronto. While the original thread is still out there, I thought it would be better to write a new one for this season. I may do this every year, just for the heck of it.

Mods: if you feel the need to merge this thread with the older one, I won't complain.

Anyway...

To The Team: Thank you very much. What a season! In September, all the "experts" put you between 8th and 15th in the Eastern Conference, and where do you end up? #1, with the most goals-for in the entire NHL. They all thought the powerplay would collapse with the loss of Sheldon Souray, and you kept it at #1. You staged the greatest comeback in franchise history against the Rangers. You never lost more than 3 in a row (until Philly came along). You rolled 4-2 through the dreaded Christmas road trip. You owned Boston (at least until Round 1; you Cardiac Kids are going to kill me one day!!!), and continued to sell out 21,273 seats every night with the loudest, most electric, fanatical crowd in the NHL, that I hope I get to finally be a part of next year. Bring on 2008-2009. This is YOUR TIME!

To Alex Kovalev: Bravo. Standing Ovation. That was one hell of a comeback, my friend. From 18 goals to 35. From 47 points to 84. From a -19 to a +18. I hope you can do it again, and I'm going to buy your DVD! In addition to your own accomplishments this year, you are also passing the torch to the next generation, mentoring the young ones. May they carry it high!

To Carey Price: You stole games and you made rookie mistakes. So did Ken Dryden and Patrick Roy. You are not Ken Dryden or Patrick Roy. You know this. You are Carey Price. You did extremely well in your first season with the big boys, and I'm sure you will do very well in seasons to come. Bob Gainey said "here you go, kid, do your thing" and you did. Don't let the playoffs pressure cooker get you down though. After winning Gold in Junior, then the Calder in the AHL, you've been busy winning for the past 2 years. Now you know what it feels like to not win. You're a competitive guy. You know losing sucks, bad. Channel that negative energy and come back strong in October. Enjoy your summer phone-free fishing trip. Can't wait to see you next season.

To The 2007-2008 Rookies: Back in September, a certain "anonymous" hockey rumour blogger said that "...the Habs will be this years Sabers..." He was right and he was wrong. Your speed tells me he was right, but I'd rather compare you to the 06-07 Penguins than the Sabers. You are all VERY good at what you do, but you needed playoff experience. Now you've got that. My advice, for what it's worth: Take it with you next year. Treat every game, from October through June(!) as if it's Game 7. You are the future of this glorious team, and I'm wearing my shades for a good reason. It's bright. B)

To Coach Guy Carbonneau: Awesome season, coach. You learned from your first year, and continue to lead this team forward. And to be in the running for the Jack Adams Award, Congrats! You've earned it! Keep up the good work. My only advice to you: after a big win or a "garbage" win, don't slack off on the practices. Keep the guys ready, because things can change very quickly in today's NHL. Just ask the Ducks, Sens, Canes, and Oilers from the last 2 years: Cup finalists/winners to out/round 1 out in just one season.

To GM Bob Gainey: #23 is up there for a good reason. Keep up the great work you've been doing. You don't have to sigh a Danny Briere just because he's Danny Briere. You don't have to give away the farm for Marian Hossa just because he's Marian Hossa. You 're not looking for the best players, you're looking for the right ones. And you have a keen insight to that end. In September, everyone said "Hamrlik replacing Souray?!?" Well folks, he's a big reason we only had 222 goals against this year vs. last years 256. Kostopolous and Smolinsky for Johnson and Bonk? Grit and veteran presence. Huet for a 2nd rounder? Faith in Price and Halak, justified. You've built your promised Cup contender, a year ahead of schedule, in my humble opinion. We're on our way.

And finally, to everyone here at The Forum: Thank you again for yet another great season. Once again, I was stuck in the hockey wasteland that is the Mississippi Gulf Coast, and you all gave me insight, opinions, rantings, ravings, news, rumours, facts, stats, questions, and answers to all things relating to the greatest hockey team on Earth. Come next season, I'll be a little further north, where I can actually see more than 1 or 2 games on TV, and I'll be within a (long) day's drive of Le Centre Bell. I'll still be here though, Waiting for Cup 25...

GO HABS GO!!!

Well put, I really like your letter,

and couldn't have said it, any better!

Anyway...

GO HABS GO!!!

Well said! Nothing more nothing less!

Anyway...

GO HABS GO!!!

Very nice letter. I like it. ^^

Right on the money man!

I know a lot of Habs fans have taken down their Habs flags (in some case put up a Penguins one), I think we should keep waving 'em. Plain n simply, thanking the team for bringing hockey back to Montreal!

This team has had a great season, given us a lot to cheer for and a lot of hope for the future. Keep wearing your Habs sweaters (happy Cherry...) n waving those flags... I'd like to see every car in this city with a flag in the window. We're not mad cos the Flyers beat us out, **** NO! We're thanking the team for a great, no, an unbelievable season and are eagerly waiting for next October!

I don't understand why anyone who loves this team would even consider abandoning them just because they lost.

That being said, I believe this team exceeded my wildest expectations. I thought they would finish middle of the pack at best at the start of the season, but they wound up on top of the conference standings at the end of the regular season. However, I think this team overachieved a bit considering what players they had to work with. There were still times when they looked like a team struggling to find its place. And I'm entirely of the belief they are still looking. All the pieces are still not there yet. We could easily have a couple of the young players emerge and become big-time goal scorers. Or we may have to go out and get a couple. What bothered me all season long was that we still had problems finishing plays and games. And the goaltending is still a bit shaky despite Price's efforts. I think we need a good proven NHL backup.

I don't think there is anything wrong with them overachieving a bit, but they now need to keep it going and continue making strides in the right direction. I still think the Cup is a couple of years away, and that's being realistic on my part.

Right on the money man!

I know a lot of Habs fans have taken down their Habs flags (in some case put up a Penguins one), I think we should keep waving 'em. Plain n simply, thanking the team for bringing hockey back to Montreal!

This team has had a great season, given us a lot to cheer for and a lot of hope for the future. Keep wearing your Habs sweaters (happy Cherry...) n waving those flags... I'd like to see every car in this city with a flag in the window. We're not mad cos the Flyers beat us out, **** NO! We're thanking the team for a great, no, an unbelievable season and are eagerly waiting for next October!

actually the day after the habs were put out, I wore my Koivu jersey when i went to the mall.

One guy asked me arent i embarrassed to be wearing that the day after they got put out, I said, heck no, the habs are the greatest hockey team to ever wear skates and won more championships than any other team, 24 of them. A loyal true fan will stick by their team always.

Thats what i told him.

and he admitted i had a point.

btw he was a toronto fan lmao ^^

Waiting for cup 25 that was a great letter! I really like how positive you are. Thanks man! I can't wait for next season :lol:

actually the day after the habs were put out, I wore my Koivu jersey when i went to the mall.

One guy asked me arent i embarrassed to be wearing that the day after they got put out, I said, heck no, the habs are the greatest hockey team to ever wear skates and won more championships than any other team, 24 of them. A loyal true fan will stick by their team always.

Thats what i told him.

and he admitted i had a point.

btw he was a toronto fan lmao ^^

That is awesome svetlana! I am actually wearing my Plekanec t-shirt today! GO Habs GO! Have a great summer and come back next year refreshed and ready to win!

Archived