The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens

The Year In Review

Unlike a lot of writers and media people, I didn't think we'd be a lower tier team, but I thought we'd be similar to the past couple of years...duking it out for 6-8 during the stretch. So, with our regular season standings I'm extremely happy. I wouldve like to go deeper into the playoffs, or at least lose a series because we were outplayed. Highs were, of course Kovalev's turnaround, the growth of Plekanec and A. Kostitsyn. Carey Price taking over the #1 abd playing phenomenal down the stretch, signing and play of hamrlik...Too many, really. Downers include poor PK, Ryder's departure from past goal scoring seasons, Smolinski overall, Latendresse's invisibility through much of the year.

Unlike a lot of writers and media people, I didn't think we'd be a lower tier team, but I thought we'd be similar to the past couple of years...duking it out for 6-8 during the stretch. So, with our regular season standings I'm extremely happy. I wouldve like to go deeper into the playoffs, or at least lose a series because we were outplayed. Highs were, of course Kovalev's turnaround, the growth of Plekanec and A. Kostitsyn. Carey Price taking over the #1 abd playing phenomenal down the stretch, signing and play of hamrlik...Too many, really. Downers include poor PK, Ryder's departure from past goal scoring seasons, Smolinski overall, Latendresse's invisibility through much of the year.

Ryder was definitely one of the low points this year. I don't what happened to him. Can you even imagine if he scored another 30 goals this year, this team would be rocking.

Ryder was definitely one of the low points this year. I don't what happened to him. Can you even imagine if he scored another 30 goals this year, this team would be rocking.

Diffently

If you think about it the success of the team really gave ryder a pass this year. If it was any of the previous years where we had to fight to get into 8th place. He would have felt the heat of underperforming ALOT more..

Diffently

If you think about it the success of the team really gave ryder a pass this year. If it was any of the previous years where we had to fight to get into 8th place. He would have felt the heat of underperforming ALOT more..

Good point, the media would have been all over him alot worse than what he got.

Not sure if this is the right place, but does anyone else feel as though Carbo should have played some of our young guns when things weren't working out with the Flyers? I definitely do! I think he could have taken a chance on Grabs or Stewart, or Chips even. I feel that the young guys offer more of a jump in their step. They seem to have more energy and drive.

Not sure if this is the right place, but does anyone else feel as though Carbo should have played some of our young guns when things weren't working out with the Flyers? I definitely do! I think he could have taken a chance on Grabs or Stewart, or Chips even. I feel that the young guys offer more of a jump in their step. They seem to have more energy and drive.

Not a chance.

As it was, most of the young guys who were already on the team were very nervous during the playoffs.

It would have been suicide to throw in Grabs or Stewart in the middle of the playoffs considering they hardly played during the season.

Having them hang around the team during the playoffs was the only and the best thing he could have done with them.

If anything, some of the young guys who were on the roster should have seen less ice time during the playoffs, so that veterans like Dandenault and Ryder could have played more.

...but if he's on the ice for 50 against, you loose overall. Former linemates Sak and Higgy both improved their defensive play this year compared to last, but I think less so for Ryds. Maybe if he re-signs with Habs, Kovy can coach him in the secrets of refocusing and transforming his play to the next level in the off-season.

I was actually happy with this season. Well I wasn't happy when we stank out to Philly, but overall I was happy. When we started this season, I honestly didn't even think we'd finish near a playoff spot.

So to come out and finish first in the East and first in our Division is something to be proud of. I loved watching the younger guys develop and evolve this season and it gave me great hope for next season.

My low point of the season had to be the trade of Huet, as I feel he would have been valuable in the playoffs. Having a proven starter and a rookie goaltender with tons of potential would have given us much more depth...but what can you do?

I'm proud of the Canadiens and their accomplishments, I'm happy that Carb's is nominated for the Jack Adams and I'm excited to see what next season holds for these boys.

Generally it was a long lasting high. I think I can speak for many fans when I say that we watched Gainey's strategy-failure to obtain UFAs and his reliance on our youth with a guarded optimism. There was no greater high than seeing this patience rewarded. So the highs for me are seeing Komi, the Kostistyn Bros, Pleks, Lapierre, and Price become fixtures and in some cases key players. I loved seeing this team come together and in large part that falls on Kovy for embracing his role as a disciple to the kids and a team leader to compliment Koivu. Particular momentary highs....the Rangers comeback, Kovy's overtime winner against the B's, game 7 against the B's, our comeback against Brodeur, our late season beatdown of the Sens, and many many more.

The lows during the season was only the trade of Huet. I still think it was a mistake that hurt our team in the short run without necessarily bringing about long term benefits. I now the counter arguments, and I understand the benefits of getting Price experience, that said, Huet was the man on this team and to tie this into the way it all ended, I mean I dont know if I need to say much. Price got experience all right, and he and the rest of the team learned the hard way that no amount of junior league hockey will prepare you for the NHL playoffs.

Very satisfied with the Habs season. Being a longtime fan (who vividly remembers the glory years of the 70s) I was at whits end for about the last decade or so with the Habs play. Finally, we were able to move the puck past our own blue line! Finally, we seemed to uncover our lost scoring touch! I think our brain trust Gainey/Carbo are amongst the best in the NHL so I'm confident that we're in store for an even better season next year.

That being said...I am still disappointed with a couple of areas which are in need of improvement. In my opinion, we need a couple of defensemen who can play defense...sorry but Brisebois needs to go....and I dare say that I don't agree with many people on this forum re: Komisarek...I think that he never developed into the player we all hoped he would; namely, I love the fact that he can block shots and isn't afraid to throw body checks, but I feel that he is prone to giveaways and at times is confused in his own end. I also can't stand the fact that he shys away from fights (sometimes you gotta drop 'em to get the team going.). We have a star in Markov...let's build around him as the anchor. Also, I think the team is still in need of a skilled, big center, which we arguably haven't had since Bobby Smith.

I think we're going to see a great battle evolve for the starting job in net be it Price vs. Halak or Price vs. ?. It will only serve to make Carey more mature and more confident in pressure situations.

I also think the team is in need of more grit...something a la McPhee, Skrudland, Lalor.

The consensus on the West Coast amongst Habs Headquarters is that we are looking for big things to happen next year. The drive for 25 continues...

Not a chance.

As it was, most of the young guys who were already on the team were very nervous during the playoffs.

It would have been suicide to throw in Grabs or Stewart in the middle of the playoffs considering they hardly played during the season.

Having them hang around the team during the playoffs was the only and the best thing he could have done with them.

If anything, some of the young guys who were on the roster should have seen less ice time during the playoffs, so that veterans like Dandenault and Ryder could have played more.

I think you are selling some of the guys short by saying that it would be suicide. Plus, it's not suicide to try something new when the ship is already sinking. I don't see how it could have hurt at all to throw in Grabs or Stewart just for a shift or two. We had nothing to lose, cause we were losing anyway. So it wouldn't have made a difference negatively. However, maybe there would have been something different that the Flyers were not expecting, and maybe, just maybe, it would have turned the tide....You can't win the lottery if you don't buy a ticket ;)

season hasn't started. experts say we suck and will finish 13th

Kovalev shines (as does Pleks and some young guns Kost bros etc..) :)

Gainey trades Huet at the wrong time.

Price is amazing. :)

where is Ryder?

We finish first.

Feels a lot like 93 yadda yadda

Playoffs

takes us 7 games to beat Bruins (what??)

Koivu is our best player

Ryder left in the pressbox where all he can do is make paper airplanes and talk on his cell. :(

Price stinks it up...lots of our forwards do not show up. :(

our D looked scared or were injured (who knows?)

Habs lose to Flyers :(

Our future looks BRIGHT!! :)

where is Ryder?

We finish first.

Playoffs

Koivu is our best player

Ryder left in the pressbox where all he can do is make paper airplanes and talk on his cell. :(

haha pretty good canadianmike!! i like it!

i thought we would stink this year, honestly. i didnt like the koivu higgins ryder line, i thought we would get nowhere with it. i didnt like carbo, i thought he would make crappy lines, roll all 4 of them, have us play this passive trap and go back to the super line til i puked :P i didnt realize hamrlik had so much good hockey left in him, never having seen him play regularly. thought it might have been a non factor signing. i thought we had dowgraded horribly from bonk and johnson to smoke and TK. i DID have faith in plekanec. :D i had faith in andrei and alex K but not in carbo to use them properly.

i was wrong about almost everything. after starting exactly like how i predicted, carbo got the right mix together, had them go go go and it lead to what was basically a season long high for me. i wasnt surprised ryder (and that super line) didnt work out. that wasnt even a low for me, it was back to reality and thank god we have a real top line. id rate it as a high, although i do feel bad for ryder not being able to get anything going. pleks alex and andrei were great all year, and i think they can be great again next year.

the kids all look amazing, chipchura impressed me, laps came back a better player, komi is a star now, andrei is great, sergei came up and hes great, these guys are for real, lats....will hopefully be better next year :P

my only low point (aside from the final loss) was trading huet. from what price showed i thought he wasnt ready, and although he played terrific down the stretch he was half great half shaky against boston, and IMO very shakey against philly. that being said, price definetly has the talent, and this experience could very well be invaluable to him next year as im sure we will be back in the postseason and he will be a better goalie for this experience.

the 2 guys i thought were a downgrade on bonk and johnson really came through in the playoffs. (although smoke sucked for most of the season, i still think bonk is better :)) TKO especially has made me a big fan of his, im happy we have him.

all in all, one of my most enjoyable seasons ever watching the habs, and ive been a fan my whole life. we have a team, to be excited about for at LEAST the next 2 or 3 years, and as a fan, all you can ask is that your team competes and has a chance to win. its what gets us excited, we know deep down everything has to go right for a cup, but for having that true chance at it, you cant ask for more as a fan.

Very satisfied with the Habs season. Being a longtime fan (who vividly remembers the glory years of the 70s) I was at whits end for about the last decade or so with the Habs play. Finally, we were able to move the puck past our own blue line! Finally, we seemed to uncover our lost scoring touch! I think our brain trust Gainey/Carbo are amongst the best in the NHL so I'm confident that we're in store for an even better season next year.

That being said...I am still disappointed with a couple of areas which are in need of improvement. In my opinion, we need a couple of defensemen who can play defense...sorry but Brisebois needs to go....and I dare say that I don't agree with many people on this forum re: Komisarek...I think that he never developed into the player we all hoped he would; namely, I love the fact that he can block shots and isn't afraid to throw body checks, but I feel that he is prone to giveaways and at times is confused in his own end. I also can't stand the fact that he shys away from fights (sometimes you gotta drop 'em to get the team going.). We have a star in Markov...let's build around him as the anchor. Also, I think the team is still in need of a skilled, big center, which we arguably haven't had since Bobby Smith.

I think we're going to see a great battle evolve for the starting job in net be it Price vs. Halak or Price vs. ?. It will only serve to make Carey more mature and more confident in pressure situations.

I also think the team is in need of more grit...something a la McPhee, Skrudland, Lalor.

The consensus on the West Coast amongst Habs Headquarters is that we are looking for big things to happen next year. The drive for 25 continues...

Nice post. Welcome to the forum. I vividly remember the 70s as well. I hope that one day that this team will be strong enough to accomplish half of what those Hab's teams accomplished in the 70s .

where is Ryder?

We finish first.

Playoffs

Koivu is our best player

Too funny Mike, way to put a humorous twist to this thread. Brillant!

haha pretty good canadianmike!! i like it!

i thought we would stink this year, honestly. i didnt like the koivu higgins ryder line, i thought we would get nowhere with it. i didnt like carbo, i thought he would make crappy lines, roll all 4 of them, have us play this passive trap and go back to the super line til i puked :P i didnt realize hamrlik had so much good hockey left in him, never having seen him play regularly. thought it might have been a non factor signing. i thought we had dowgraded horribly from bonk and johnson to smoke and TK. i DID have faith in plekanec. :D i had faith in andrei and alex K but not in carbo to use them properly.

i was wrong about almost everything. after starting exactly like how i predicted, carbo got the right mix together, had them go go go and it lead to what was basically a season long high for me. i wasnt surprised ryder (and that super line) didnt work out. that wasnt even a low for me, it was back to reality and thank god we have a real top line. id rate it as a high, although i do feel bad for ryder not being able to get anything going. pleks alex and andrei were great all year, and i think they can be great again next year.

the kids all look amazing, chipchura impressed me, laps came back a better player, komi is a star now, andrei is great, sergei came up and hes great, these guys are for real, lats....will hopefully be better next year :P

my only low point (aside from the final loss) was trading huet. from what price showed i thought he wasnt ready, and although he played terrific down the stretch he was half great half shaky against boston, and IMO very shakey against philly. that being said, price definetly has the talent, and this experience could very well be invaluable to him next year as im sure we will be back in the postseason and he will be a better goalie for this experience.

the 2 guys i thought were a downgrade on bonk and johnson really came through in the playoffs. (although smoke sucked for most of the season, i still think bonk is better :)) TKO especially has made me a big fan of his, im happy we have him.

all in all, one of my most enjoyable seasons ever watching the habs, and ive been a fan my whole life. we have a team, to be excited about for at LEAST the next 2 or 3 years, and as a fan, all you can ask is that your team competes and has a chance to win. its what gets us excited, we know deep down everything has to go right for a cup, but for having that true chance at it, you cant ask for more as a fan.

I totally agree Jeff, it was an exciting and enjoyable season. Let's hope we can repeat it next year and go even further in the playoffs.

47-25-10 104pts 1st in the East and 1st in scoring with 262 buts

Season opening road trip taking 5 of 6pts and on that trip we saw Carey for the first time oct 10th in pittsburgh.

oct 26th shellacking Carolina 7-4

oct 27th the shootout win in Pittsburgh with Markov scoring the winner and we all remember his reaction lol

nov 13th beating the leafs in OT Komisarek with the winner on the breakaway

nov 17th the 7-4 win over Boston what a war that was

the christmas trip going 3-1-2 taking 8 of 12pts

Jan 22nd drubbing the bruins 8-2

Feb 13th beating Florida in OT 2-1 Kovalev the bullet winner starting a 4 game win streak

Feb 19th vs the Rangers lol....

Mar 24th booking our ticket to the playoffs vs Ottawa

Apr 12th Kovalev the OT winner in game 2 vs Boston

Apr 21 winning game 7 vs Boston 5-0

Apr 24 tom the bomb scoring early in OT game 1 vs Philly

it was an exciting and enjoyable season. Let's hope we can repeat it next year and go even further in the playoffs.

It was indeed. We were good during the regular season, but we came up short in the play offs. This team just has to mature/develop some more, maybe adding a few key players during the summer.

I am sure we will be a better team next season, and looking back to this one, it was great to see us win the division and the conference, the series against Boston was exiting,... only to bad we couldnt beat the Flyers. But éh, we are on the right track imo.

Highs - Finishing first overall, the development of our young players & that 6-5 comeback win over the Rangers, after trailing 0-5.

Low - Going 5-7 in the playoffs against 2 teams we dominated 12-0 in the regular season. This included going 2-6 in the last 8 games, and 0-4 in the last 4, after never losing more than 3 in a row in the regular season.

Archived