The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

1975-79 Habs

Late-Apex

To the older fan who remember the type of game the great Habs teams played the last 4 years of the 70's. They were more speedy and headmaned the puck better then the other teams in the league if I remember correctly. And they had those 4 great D men.

Do the current Red Wings the way they pass and headman the puck remind you of those Habs teams?

I wasn't trying to compare the records, just the way that they play with the great passing skills, headmaning the puck and the 4 great D men.

No doubt Detroit this year is a deep team with loads of talent, I don't want to take anything away from them. But having seen the Habs of the seventies and having gone to a ton of games at the Forum, I'm a little biased when it comes to comparing teams to those great Habs teams of the 70s.

I do see your point about the passing skills and headmanning the puck but I still don't think you can compare those skills with those Habs teams. Teams as dominant as those only come around once in a lifetime. A few of us have been fortunate enough to witness not only the great Montreal teams of that era but also the great Edmonton teams and Islander teams.

No doubt Detroit this year is a deep team with loads of talent, I don't want to take anything away from them. But having seen the Habs of the seventies and having gone to a ton of games at the Forum, I'm a little biased when it comes to comparing teams to those great Habs teams of the 70s.

I do see your point about the passing skills and headmanning the puck but I still don't think you can compare those skills with those Habs teams. Teams as dominant as those only come around once in a lifetime. A few of us have been fortunate enough to witness not only the great Montreal teams of that era but also the great Edmonton teams and Islander teams.

Cudos for the 75-76 Habs for taking down the Broad Street Bullies as well. If were taking a look at the 1975-76 through the 1987-88 seasons and the Habs, Islanders and Oiler teams that won 4 times each in that period, I would give the Habs the edge on D, the Oilers the edge on O, and the Islanders the edge on grit. I also give the Habs the edge on coaching with Scotty and in goal with Ken Dryden edging out Billy Smith and the Grant Fuhr/Andy Moog combo.

In one word "No".

:) The good old days :)

1975/76: The Canadiens rip through the NHL regular season finishing with best overall record and incredible 127 points with a 58-11-11 record. After a first round bye the Canadiens continued to dominate sweeping the Chicago Blackhawks in 4 straight. Moving on to the Wales Final the Habs won their first 3 games on the way to dispatching the New York Islanders in 5 games. In the Finals the Canadiens continued their dominant ways sweeping the Philadelphia Flyers in 4 straight. Despite the Habs dominance no one player could be singled out for the Conn Smythe as Flyers Reggie Leach took home the award.

1976/77: The Canadiens set new records in dominance as Steve Shutt scored 60 goals setting a record for Left Wingers. Helping to set Shutt up is Guy LaFleur who wins the Hart Trophy by amassing 1936 points a new franchise record. Along with LaFleur the Goalie combo of Ken Dryden and Bunny Larocque won the Vezina, as Larry Robinson took home the Norris during an incredible all-time NHL best record of 60-8-12 with an incredible 132 points. In the playoffs the Canadiens crushed the St. Louis Blues in 4 straights outscoring them 19-3 to advance to the Wales Final. In the Wales Final the Canadiens would fight off a challenge form the New York Islanders in 6 games. In the finals the Habs would easily beat the Boston Bruins in 4 straight as Guy LaFleur was named Conn Smythe. The victory gave the Canadiens their 2nd straight Stanley Cup Championship and their 20th overall, 7 more then the 2nd best.

1977/78: The Canadiens dominance continues as the only fall off slightly from their record setting year taking the best record again at 59-10-11, with 127 points. In the playoffs the Canadiens would continue to be untouchable as they clipped the Detroit Red Wings in 5 games. Moving n to the Semi-Finals the Habs would sweep away the Toronto Maple Leafs in 4 straight outscoring them 16-6. In the Finals the Habs would suffer 2 straight losses as the Boston Bruins evened the series 2 games apiece. However, there would be no denying the Habs their 3rd straight Stanley Cup as the won the next 2 games by identical 4-1 scores as star defenseman Larry Robinson won the Conn Smythe trophy by setting up 17 Canadiens goals.

1978/79: The Canadiens continue to be one of the top team in the NHL winning the Norris Division with a solid 52-17-11 record. In the playoffs the Canadiens would be quickly mulch up the Toronto Maple Leafs in 4 games. Moving on to the Semi-Finals the Canadiens would be challenged for the first time in 4 years as they were pushed to a 7th game by the Boston Bruins. In Game 7 the Habs would advance to the finals with win a 5-4 win n overtime. In the finals the Canadiens would fall behind early losing Game 1 to the New York Rangers 4-1. However the Habs quickly grabbed back momentum with a 6-2 win in Game 2 on the way to winning their 4th straight Stanley Cup in 5 games. Bob Gainey the league's premier 2-way forward would earn the Conn Smythe award. Following the season the Ken Dryden, Jacques Lemaire and Yvan Cournoyer all announce their retirements, as Scotty Bowman resigns as head coach.

Archived