The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Guy Lafleur

WTA

www.habsinsideout.com/main/8180

I always have liked Guy Lafleur, he has always been one of Montreals all time best players and that will never change...but he has to stop being so opiniated and so open about the type of team Montreal should be and moves the Habs should or should not make...I agree with Lafleur in a way because Kovalev had one heck of a season for Montreal this past year and was the Canadiens most consistant player aside from being their top scorer as well (and of course Kovalev without his helmet reminds alot of people of Lafleur himself)...but all that aside Koivu has been the heart and soul of Montreal and has been their captain for a few seasons now and just ditching him after all hes gone through and all he's done for the Habs would certainly not be in the Habs best interest if u ask me....I know its a tough decision but at the end of the day I would try and hang on to both until the end of next season and see from there

Guy Lafleur can have his opinion. I would lean towards re-signing both players before they become UFA next summer. I think both veteran players like playing in Montreal. I think both players are valuable to the team. I think that both players could give a home team discount putting them below fair market value. And I think that with 7 UFA players in 2009 that BG needs to sign some of these players to give a veteran presence and proven skills.

I guess if anything it could be argued that Koivu should be renewed as he could move to a two way defensive role as he ages and slows down on the 3rd or 4th line however Kovalev might need to be on the 1st or 2nd line to be effective on the team. Plus Koivu is the captain and some respect should be shown towards a captain unless he requests a trade or silly amount of money. I don't personally see Koivu asking for a trade even with his brother with the Wild and I don't think he will ask for excessive salary. I would guess he would sign for two years for around $3/$3.5 million per season.

Kovalev might want / expect $5 million per season. If he puts together same or better season then he just put up then he might be looking for $6 million per season. Interesting situation. Does BG pay $5 to $6 million or use this cap space to sign Gaborik or Vinny or some other top younger UFA? I guess I like how Kovalev plays and also like the idea on not changing a successful offensive line if at all possible so I would pay the $5 to $6 million to keep Kovalev for 2 more seasons. But then again it is not my money :D

www.habsinsideout.com/main/8180

I always have liked Guy Lafleur, he has always been one of Montreals all time best players and that will never change...but he has to stop being so opiniated and so open about the type of team Montreal should be and moves the Habs should or should not make...I agree with Lafleur in a way because Kovalev had one heck of a season for Montreal this past year and was the Canadiens most consistant player aside from being their top scorer as well (and of course Kovalev without his helmet reminds alot of people of Lafleur himself)...but all that aside Koivu has been the heart and soul of Montreal and has been their captain for a few seasons now and just ditching him after all hes gone through and all he's done for the Habs would certainly not be in the Habs best interest if u ask me....I know its a tough decision but at the end of the day I would try and hang on to both until the end of next season and see from there

http://habsinsideout.com/main/8180

This is the same Guy Lafleur that said earlier in the season that Montreal was made up of a bunch of 4th liners....And those 4th liners just so happened to win the conference title at the end of the season...So his opinion, just like anyone else’s should be taken with a grain of salt.

This is the same Guy Lafleur that said earlier in the season that Montreal was made up of a bunch of 4th liners....And those 4th liners just so happened to win the conference title at the end of the season...So his opinion, just like anyone else’s should be taken with a grain of salt.

My thoughts exactly.

I don't know what Guy Lafleur is thinking lately,seems like everything he says is like a slap in the face to the players and the organization has a whole.To me this why Guy does not hold any position of great importance,because if he did we would still be at the bottom of the barrel trying to climb skyward.Guy should set back relax sip on a few beers and let Gainey and company do their thing.Guy as a player was great as managment material he missed the boat and hasn't much of an idea when it comes to identifying talent or your keys pieces on the team.

The man knows more about hockey than all of us here combined could hope to know in a dozen lifetimes so I'm not gonna be over-critical of his criticism.

No offense Oatmeal but I never understood statements like this. Hockey, like any other sport is about knowledge. How does one obtain knowlege? I think the answer is pretty simple. Just because someone has played the game at a higher level doesn't mean that they are more knowledgeable about the game. I believe there have been some great coaches that never played in the NHL, two come to mind rather quickly, Pat Burns and that other guy, what's his name, oh yea, Scotty Bowman.

There are some members in here that are pretty knowledgeable about the game. After all, it's not rocket science, it's just a game. Just because guys like Lafleur had the physical attributes and God given talent to play the game for a living does not make them smater or more knowledgeable than the rest of us.

Therefore, it goes without saying that I don't agree with your post.

Whatever. Lafleur is paid to provide an opinion. At this point, inflammatory nonsense like this shouldn't be a surprise coming out of his mouth.

Being one of the greatest players of all time doesn't mean squat when it comes to knowing what it takes to ice a Cup-contending team, especially when you never played in the era of the salary cap.

I just think he can gauge better than most what Koivu along with his skillset and personality can and cannot do. He played as a top forward in the NHL, he's been on the ice and in the dressing room with NHL hockey players, so I'm not gonna call his comment inflammatory nonsense, because he's completely qualified to make these comments.

I just think he can gauge better than most what Koivu along with his skillset and personality can and cannot do. He played as a top forward in the NHL, he's been on the ice and in the dressing room with NHL hockey players,

I fail to see how being a great forward in a different era makes Lafleur an authority on other forwards with whom he's never played. Rocket Richard, another all-time great, was a flop as a coach. Individual skill doesn't necessarily translate into other areas of hockey expertise.

Lafleur is making these comments from a distance. He has no idea what goes on in the Canadiens dressing-room today, nor does he have any special connection to any member of the current roster. He's offering an opinion, which is his right. But for me, that opinion is worth no more than any other member of the media.

so I'm not gonna call his comment inflammatory nonsense, because he's completely qualified to make these comments.

Openly advocating that the Canadiens re-sign Kovalev but not Koivu, their captain for the past decade, is inflammatory no matter how you slice it. Especially coming from a man who is supposed to be a goodwill ambassador for the team! :D

I fail to see how being a great forward in a different era makes Lafleur an authority on other forwards with whom he's never played. Rocket Richard, another all-time great, was a flop as a coach. Individual skill doesn't necessarily translate into other areas of hockey expertise.

Lafleur is making these comments from a distance. He has no idea what goes on in the Canadiens dressing-room today, nor does he have any special connection to any member of the current roster. He's offering an opinion, which is his right. But for me, that opinion is worth no more than any other member of the media.

I guess he figures he's been a great player, playing on a winning team with players who have what it takes to win, and he derives from Koivu's past on ice performances that Koivu is simply not one of those players.

Many people who have seen that winning quality in people so much claim to be able to spot it in other people before they even speak to them, based on how they perform.

No matter what anyone says, if Lafleur or Beliveau, Orr or Gretzky, ever comes up to me and gives me their opinion on a player, I'm gonna pay special atention. I don't think the experience of playing in the NHL means nothing in this.

Openly advocating that the Canadiens re-sign Kovalev but not Koivu, their captain for the past decade, is inflammatory no matter how you slice it.

Maybe it's inflammatory, but it's not nonsense.

Ever since this guy showed what he and his family are all about last year. This guy has no credibility whatsoever in my opinion. Like someone said above, go have another drink Guy.

Oh, and thanks to Nik Lidstrom, I think that the curse of the European Captain is now over.

The man knows more about hockey than all of us here combined could hope to know in a dozen lifetimes so I'm not gonna be over-critical of his criticism.

i 100% disagree no way one hockey (player) has more hockey knowledge then the whole forum im sorry but thats false

hes not even in montreal management he should shut his trap that simple he played in a different era he oesnt know what hes talking about

While I don't agree with Lafleur's comments and think Koivu is vital part of this team, I can't understand some of the incredibly disrespectful comments aimed at Guy. He's just giving his opinion (which is obviously meant to grab headlines) and whether people agree or not, I thought there would be a little more respect around here for one of the Habs all-time greats.

he shows no respect why should we show him some?? he has a big inflated head he thinks hes the best there was common the guy needs a reality check...and maybe take care of his family and his own troubles not montreals

example of no respect he called the whole team 4th line players i guess a 25+goal scorer is a 4th line payer in his mind if u donbt score 50 u suck?? its a team sport back in the day u could do it on ur own not anymore theres alot more talent the goalies r bigger better ect... the guy needs to move to florida and concentrate on fishing and drinking beers

Being a great forward or one of the Canadien's most entertaining player's does not qualify him as an expert. He's probably still a lil pissed at the Habs after the way they treated him, when he came out of retirement.

As for Koivu, he's still one of the best and the most loyal player the Habs have, imo he should retire in a Habs Jersey (sorry Cherry)/sweater. He stuck it out in Montreal through thick n thin. He's still our #1 face-off man not to mention a great leader on and off the ice. Kovi had a great season and stood up to lead and motivate this young team when Koivu was out. Everyone's allowed to have an off year, remember when Kovi was having a not so good season in 06-07, Koivu was having one of his best.

He's a great play maker, creates scoring chances, wins face-offs and despite his size, battles along the boards and doesn't back down from anyone... which is why he's had injuries. Anyone who's gone through chemotherapy (or has a family member who's gone through it) knows the body doesn't heal the same way afterwards. For him to be back in the line-up after only 3 weeks off with fractured foot, shows his true colors. We're very lucky to have him, actually, we're lucky to have both of them. For veterans and team leaders we couldn't ask for more.

Being a great forward or one of the Canadien's most entertaining player's does not qualify him as an expert. He's probably still a lil pissed at the Habs after the way they treated him, when he came out of retirement.

As for Koivu, he's still one of the best and the most loyal player the Habs have, imo he should retire in a Habs Jersey (sorry Cherry)/sweater. He stuck it out in Montreal through thick n thin. He's still our #1 face-off man not to mention a great leader on and off the ice. Kovi had a great season and stood up to lead and motivate this young team when Koivu was out. Everyone's allowed to have an off year, remember when Kovi was having a not so good season in 06-07, Koivu was having one of his best.

He's a great play maker, creates scoring chances, wins face-offs and despite his size, battles along the boards and doesn't back down from anyone... which is why he's had injuries. Anyone who's gone through chemotherapy (or has a family member who's gone through it) knows the body doesn't heal the same way afterwards. For him to be back in the line-up after only 3 weeks off with fractured foot, shows his true colors. We're very lucky to have him, actually, we're lucky to have both of them. For veterans and team leaders we couldn't ask for more.

I think Koivu is a good hockey player he wins faceoffs,he doesn't back down from anyone,he has playmaking ability.He is also another small center on this team,he is easily pushed off the puck,he is not a number one center.I may get critisized for this but he either needs to accept a 3rd line role or be traded while the habs can get something for him.His lessor role does not mean he should be striped of cataincy,it just means other players are ready to step up and the habs need a real number one center(with some size preferably)

he shows no respect why should we show him some?? he has a big inflated head he thinks hes the best there was common the guy needs a reality check...and maybe take care of his family and his own troubles not montreals

example of no respect he called the whole team 4th line players i guess a 25+goal scorer is a 4th line payer in his mind if u donbt score 50 u suck?? its a team sport back in the day u could do it on ur own not anymore theres alot more talent the goalies r bigger better ect... the guy needs to move to florida and concentrate on fishing and drinking beers

Here's my point... Agree or disagree with Lafleur all you want (personally I do NOT agree with his statement), but at least he has stuck to talking hockey. The same cannot be said for many members posting in here. Instead of being critical of what he's said, some people are being downright hateful and rude on a personal level. To me thats a lot more classless than Lafleur cutting up players on the team for how he percieves their play and importance to the team.

I think Koivu is a good hockey player he wins faceoffs,he doesn't back down from anyone,he has playmaking ability.He is also another small center on this team,he is easily pushed off the puck,he is not a number one center.I may get critisized for this but he either needs to accept a 3rd line role or be traded while the habs can get something for him.His lessor role does not mean he should be striped of cataincy,it just means other players are ready to step up and the habs need a real number one center(with some size preferably)

Pushed off the puck?! Sure you weren't watching Grabovski this yeat? For guys his size, you won't find many tougher adn harder working than Saku. Koivu has also shown that when equipped with top line talent on his wings (which he NEVER gets in Montreal) that he is a top line centre. Want proof? Watch international competition.

To go even further, I'd venture a guess to say that the players that have played on his wings over the years in Montreal wouldn't have produced at nearly the same level without Koivu. He just makes those around him better.

I thought last year he was a big advocate of Kovalev and Samsonov being traded because they were a cancer to the team and only played when they wanted to do so. In fact I believe he was the one that started the whole media circus early in the season pitting them against the coach.

Archived