The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Tiger Woods Is Noooo Fan Of Nhl

To be fair though, Tiger is in awesome shape. They say his work out habits are out of this world, which probably explains why he's head and shoulders above everyone in the world.

I'm not really a golf fan, but I don't understand why this has pushed everyone nerves so much, it's just one guys opinion, it's basically no different then the way everyone here is bashing golf.

Oh, I couldn't care less about what Tiger Woods thinks. I just find it funny that a golfer of all people would try to put hockey down. Like I said, the reason golf is so popular is because fat middle-aged office slobs with mortgages and 2.5 kids take a few chunks out of turf on the weekends and feel like they're 'athletes'. :D

There are some fans of hockey in the US like myself. Of course people are most concerned with the things that take place close to home more so then things that happen far away in a land you may never visit. I believe part of the problem with hockey in the US is that there are no minorities playing the sport. Most of the hockey fans I know are white and I am also white. People who grow up in the ghetto or the city aren't likely to be playing hockey as they don't have the money, ice, or rolemodels in the sport to idolize. There are a lot of different races living in the US, but hockey is mainly a rich white mans sport unless you live somewhere where there is cold weather all the time and lots of places to play hockey. Mostly I grew up playing rollerblade hockey because I couldn't get any ice to play on in Connecticut.

Sorry but I had to laugh a little bit at this post...

People growing up in the ghetto are likely to be playing golf? And as for hockey being a rich white man's sport, golf isn't? If only a set of decent golf clubs and some balls cost as little as a hockey stick and a puck, eh? And I don't think I've ever lost a puck. But I've accidentally mislaid one heck of a lot of golf balls.

As others above have stated, we do tend to use the sport of golf to insult teams who won't be going to the playoffs. Anyone remember Andrew Peters's golf swing during a game at the end of the '06 season against the laffs? Funny.

So, whether or not Tiger Woods was right or wrong to say what he said, it's a two way street.

...and I sometimes watch golf (if I'm really trying to avoid doing something else or need an afternoon shut-eye).

Mike Milbury responds...

"You know what? I'm gonna change the name now. It's gonna be Tiger Wuss. Here's a guy that took about three months to get over a simple arthroscopic surgery. You look at [Pens forward] Ryan Malone. His face exploded with a slap shot last night - he's back out in 10 minutes!

"Keep your yap shut, Tiger, or I'll send a couple of wingers down there - [Pens forward] Gary Roberts - to tidy you up a little bit, meat head."

So, whether or not Tiger Woods was right or wrong to say what he said, it's a two way street.
Decent perspective from National Post, in that vein:

http://www.nationalpost.com/opinion/column...29-8ad916e1e7b7

.... and another that is a fun read from D J Gallo, contributed to ESPN:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=gallo/080604

Mike Milbury responds...

"You know what? I'm gonna change the name now. It's gonna be Tiger Wuss. Here's a guy that took about three months to get over a simple arthroscopic surgery. You look at [Pens forward] Ryan Malone. His face exploded with a slap shot last night - he's back out in 10 minutes!

"Keep your yap shut, Tiger, or I'll send a couple of wingers down there - [Pens forward] Gary Roberts - to tidy you up a little bit, meat head."

I all of a sudden like Mike Milbury... :P

Ok, now I have to wash my mouth! Various_Artists-yucky.gif

you know the season's over when this is what nhl journalists are writing about. :lol:

i like the two persepectives and the second one really made me laugh. thanks for the links.

Hockey people consider the sport to be big-time, and when big-time athletes say it is not, that hurts.

Golfers are athletes now? Isn't golf the only major "sport" not at the olympics?

You are not an athlete when you play a game that often doesn't even require you to break a sweat through physical activity. :D

Even baseball players, whose main occupations are standing around waiting for something to happen and sitting in the dugout chewing tobacco, have to hustle occasionally.

Even baseball players, whose main occupations are standing around waiting for something to happen and sitting in the dugout chewing tobacco, have to hustle occasionally.
Wasn't it Yogi Berra who once said (about golf): "When I hit the ball, I like to let someone else go chase it." :lol:

He is an american. Americans don't watch hockey. If someone in Canada were asked "Who will win in the MLS finals this year?" would you care? Or even more, would you even know the teams in the finals?

Totally fair observation - BUT - I wouldnt say "does anyone even watch MLS any more?" thats the kicker. He could have simply said "im not really sure, I dont follow hockey" and been humble about it. Could you honestly see Gretzky saying something negative about another athlete's sport when he was playing? Never.

Just shows a lack of class, thats all. But ultimately, who cares what tiger says?

I actually liked the NHL's real response as reported in the second story...

"The National Hockey League has enormous respect for Tiger Woods, for all his accomplishments and for his work with the community. We think he's a great golfer."

If you look deeper into it, it's definitely not a ringing Tiger endorsement. It actually seems to be a bit of a backhanded insult. They praise him not for being the "best athlete in his sport", but rather for his "work and accomplishments". They then go on to specifically call him a "great golfer", not a "great athlete". All in all, it seems that they're implying that golf isn't a sport and golfers aren't athletes.

I'd say well done by the NHL. Pretty witty, while still appearing classy. Too bad it'll likely fly under the radar with a lot of people.

Do people really watch golf? The most boring spectator sport, 2nd only to watching paint dry and grass grow.

Actually I would rank watching baseball as th emost boring sport in the world then paint dry then basketball then football (NFL) then NASCAR then horseracing then maybe golf after that.

I actually liked the NHL's real response as reported in the second story...

If you look deeper into it, it's definitely not a ringing Tiger endorsement. It actually seems to be a bit of a backhanded insult. They praise him not for being the "best athlete in his sport", but rather for his "work and accomplishments". They then go on to specifically call him a "great golfer", not a "great athlete". All in all, it seems that they're implying that golf isn't a sport and golfers aren't athletes.

I'd say well done by the NHL. Pretty witty, while still appearing classy. Too bad it'll likely fly under the radar with a lot of people.

Very observant, and I agree, well done by the NHL. It'll all be old news by the time the next hockey season starts, but I imagine his agent/manager has told him politely he's best keeping some of his opinions to himself.

i dunno. i hate watching golf, but when people pick on nascar for being 'no action' it makes me mad. no, its not a car going in circles, it's 42 cars going 200 mph 3 wide, constantly making contact, and a few seconds from a major crash the whole race. people who pick it apart havent even watched a race. i love hockey (best sport ever IMO) but i also like nascar too. golf is fun to play though.

Tiger woods starting on the sunday of a big-sized tourny (Buick Open) or a Major either in the lead or in the hunt is, in the states, a bigger draw on a national level than just about any hockey game. It doesn't absolve Tiger from being criticized for his careless and incorrect statements on hockey. But he is sitting on his perch and looking down at the NHL, and I agree with most everyone else, its brutal to think that this is the state of affairs, esp. down here in the States, but I dont vouch for many of my fellow Americans, so I cant explain or condone the collective american interests that place car racing and golf above hockey.

I can certainly understand you guys being mad. Maybe the polite way for Tiger to answer that question could have been

" Hockey isn't my sport so im not sure who's going to win" That would havebeen the better answer than I don't care and does anybody really watch hockey. I have seen Tiger at a couple of Baseball games he was at last

years August I believe it was a Monday night when Manny Ramirez got hurt and Boston lost to the Yankees.

he likes Baseball. It wouldn't surprise me at all if this week he's going to 1 of the Lakers celtics finals in La.

Hooters magazine ranked him as the second best athlete of the top 25 athletes from 1983 to today that issue was on newstands back in March.

He does have somewhat of a point.....In the US a large percentage of NHL fans lose interest in the sport all together once their favourite team is out.

Although I don't think that was the argument he was trying to make.

You have a very good point for the people who live in the Us once our team that is close to where we live and a team that we root for is out of the playoffs basicly all we see is highlights of the games because Hockey is on pay cable verses cable channel. Most people in the Us don't have that channel there are some that do but not everyone.

Archived