The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens

Hnic Theme Song Dropped???

BradW

It appears that after 50 years of hearing 'Canada's Second National Anthem' at the openning of Hockey Night in Canada, we greeted with a different openning theme. I, for one, think this is appalling. This theme music is indicative of something larger than just a sports TV show. None of the other major sports have a 'theme song' wich such a rich tradition. I don't know if any of you know the chnages that are happenning at CBC radio, but this seems indicative of the 'out with the old, in with the new' mentality that CBC has lately. For HNIC, as with CBC radio, if it aint's broke, don't fix it. Anyhow, I am quite saddenned by this, and hope that someone at CBC get's their act together and keeps the TRADITION in this broadcast... what's next? A glowing puck?

Here is a link to the story.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/News/2008...782156-sun.html

It appears that after 50 years of hearing 'Canada's Second National Anthem' at the openning of Hockey Night in Canada, we greeted with a different openning theme. I, for one, think this is appalling. This theme music is indicative of something larger than just a sports TV show. None of the other major sports have a 'theme song' wich such a rich tradition. I don't know if any of you know the chnages that are happenning at CBC radio, but this seems indicative of the 'out with the old, in with the new' mentality that CBC has lately. For HNIC, as with CBC radio, if it aint's broke, don't fix it. Anyhow, I am quite saddenned by this, and hope that someone at CBC get's their act together and keeps the TRADITION in this broadcast... what's next? A glowing puck?

Thanks for the link. I'm not surprised at CBC though. It seems that nearly everything they do, backfires on them. I know in their news gathering, they have been using consultants from the USA, and their ratings have been dropping quickly. They must be getting some advice from outside consultants on the use of their theme song too. Their ratings for HNIC have been dropping because of their stubborn use of showing leafs games, but heaven forbid they blame it on that. No, it must be that damn theme song. Darn idiots at CBC! :angry:

This could all be for publicity: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2008...ight-theme.html

Who knows what the hell is going on....

It's hockey in Canada, what need is there for a publicity stunt?

As for the glowing puck comment, I never understand the hatred of it. Take away the stupid comet tail, and you've got something that helped non-hockey fans follow the puck, a big complaint from people who don't watch a lot of hockey. It didn't interfere with my enjoyment of the game at all, I never could figure out why so many people hated it. I could understand if they tried to mainsteam it in Canada, but that wasn't the situation at all.

the only good new shows from the CBC i have enjoyed were Dragon Boys and jPod.... and also a little bit of heartland(dont ask)... oh and of course a bunch of documentaries.

Kinda sad to see the anthem go. But I have nothing wrong with getting rid of the old, especially if it means getting rid of Rick Mercer, the Royal Air Farce, this hour has 22 minutes and Coronation Street.

It's Canada's Unofficial National Anthem! Bunch of idiots. Though, I'm sure the backlash will force them to bring it back... What other point is there to watching HNIC if the SONG is gone!? (Ok, and to see what stupid suit Cherry's sporting for the night).

i think that's exactly what's happening: deal still possible for hockey night song

good grief :lol:

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/cbc/080606/cana...erner_themesong

Time to cry... Or send angry letters to the composer and the CBC. Though, it seems CBC was trying everything to make the deal work. Now she gets nothing, HNIC gets nothing, and we have to search for something new. Lame...

The contest sounds ok, but nothing will ever replace that song.

Actually,if Hockey Night in Canada as it once was still existed ,then I would be some ticked off at their dropping the theme song.However,since Hockey night In Canada long ago became Hockey Night in Toronto,I really don't give a damn because I never watch it anyway!I have given up the HNIC crap long ago because for one,I hate watching the Makem Laffs,and two,even if I could stomach watching the Laffs,I couldn't handle listening to Hairy Kneel and Bob Cold,let alone put up with Dumb Cherry and his wimp whipping post,Ron McLean!

They can do whatever they please with the program they ruined long ago and it won't mean a thing to me! :angry:

The final nail in CBC's coffin as a station with legit sports coverage. The people in charge are absolutely clueless. CTV made the right move and now they and TSN will benefit, only deepening the impression in viewers' minds that hockey and TSN are synonymous.

I honestly don't even know why CBC bothers with sports at all. They seemingly hate sports coverage and make no effort to retain talented commentators in any area.

LOL! I just saw this as well. Very funny.... wise move by CTV - now I can hear my favorite hockey theme and watch the Habs on RDS - how sweet it is!

On TSN they said that TSN and RDS will play it before all games. They have purchased it outright. I don't know who makes those decisions at CBC, but they sure made a bad one here. Thank goodness for free enterprise, and their ability to pick up the song and run with it. Now CBC is going to spend possibly an exorbitant amount of money to come up with a new theme song when they already had the best one that ever existed.

Archived