The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Trades That Almost Happened.

Hey! Have you heard of trades that involved Montreal Canadiens players that almost happened but never did? Looking back now, would you do those trades if you were the GM? Please write down those trades you heard of so we can discuss them.

This is the only one I know of that almost happened:

To Montreal:

- Andrian Aucoin

- Nikolai Khabibulin

To Chicago:

- Jose Theodore

- Mike Rebeiro

2001:

To ATL:

Jose Theodore

1st Round Pick, 7th overall (Mike Komisarek)

To MTL:

1st Round Pick, 1st overall (Ilya Kovalchuk)

It was either this or the same trade a couple of years later for Kovalchuk himself when Theo was in his prime, I heard this from my uncle so take it with a grain of salt :P But that's what this thread is for so ya...

Another one that RDS talked about once

1995 (I think):

To COL:

Patrick Roy

To MTL:

Stephane Fiset

Owen Nolan

We all know what happened instead... <_<

Hey! Have you heard of trades that involved Montreal Canadiens players that almost happened but never did? Looking back now, would you do those trades if you were the GM? Please write down those trades you heard of so we can discuss them.

This is the only one I know of that almost happened:

To Montreal:

- Andrian Aucoin

- Nikolai Khabibulin

To Chicago:

- Jose Theodore

- Mike Rebeiro

good we never made that trade but it would almost be the same thing

This one was confirmed by Serge Savard a few years after he was finished as GM. This was a deal they had lined up somewhere around 1992 or so. Detroit had already 'signed on the dotted line' but montreal nixed it. For those that think its incredulous Detroit would move someone almost as synonomous with hockey mowtown as gordie howe - remember at this time there were no cups & the wings were toiling in terrible teams. I think their plan was to trade their 1 legitimate star for some young depth to build around.

Apparently the deal was:

Steve Yzerman

for

Shayne Corson

Brent Gilchrist

Eric Desjardins (? not sure it was him - it was an up and coming dman, I remember that)

Apparently the deal fell through because montreal did not want to lose gilchrist. Ah, hindsight. lol.

---------------------------

This one, im not sure the truth*, but apparently montreal offered every draft pick we had in the 1984 draft for pittsburg's #1 overall. That would mean (if pittsburg had drafted the same as us) we would have given up

Svoboda

Corson

Richer

Roy

And 7 other guys who never really made any impact

for

Mario Lemieux

(* I have also heard minnesota offered this deal)

This one was confirmed by Serge Savard a few years after he was finished as GM. This was a deal they had lined up somewhere around 1992 or so. Detroit had already 'signed on the dotted line' but montreal nixed it. For those that think its incredulous Detroit would move someone almost as synonomous with hockey mowtown as gordie howe - remember at this time there were no cups & the wings were toiling in terrible teams. I think their plan was to trade their 1 legitimate star for some young depth to build around.

Apparently the deal was:

Steve Yzerman

for

Shayne Corson

Brent Gilchrist

Eric Desjardins (? not sure it was him - it was an up and coming dman, I remember that)

Apparently the deal fell through because montreal did not want to lose gilchrist. Ah, hindsight. lol.

This one, im not sure the truth*, but apparently montreal offered every draft pick we had in the 1984 draft for pittsburg's #1 overall. That would mean (if pittsburg had drafted the same as us) we would have given up

Svoboda

Corson

Richer

Roy

for

Mario Lemieux

Ouch on both counts.

Apparently to rumors...

To Montreal

- Mats Sundin

To Toronto

- Chris Higgins

- 1st Round pick

- <insert another prospect or pick, which was never disclosed>

I think the rumor was for Hossa..not Sundin. Gainey said No beacuse he didn't want to lose HIGGINS. :)

Yzerman as a HAB????? :o I will pretend I didn't see that. WOW!

Svoboda

Corson

Richer

Roy

for

Mario Lemieux

I would have done it.

good we never made that trade but it would almost be the same thing

i definitely would have made that trade: we got nothing for them anyway. i think khabibulin and aucoin are an upgrade from of aebischer and niinimaa.

edit: i forgot to add my non-trade from this year's deadline: tanguay for ryder and (blank - i forget what).

You have to remember that at that time, while Yzerman had some amazing offensive numbers he was never seen as much of a leader. He was looked upon a lot like sakic in Colorado: good scorer but 1 dimensional (rightly or wrongly). It wasnt until the mid 90s that he emerged as a more complete player - also like sakic. It was an unfair knock on both, but its tough to be a great leader in the NHL when you're surrounded by AHLers.

Corson, meanwhile was on his way to being seen as a clutch all round player. He was scoring a little under a point a game, getting 150-200 pim and being a solid defensive player too - while in his mid twenties. He looked like a potential 100pt power forward.

in hindsight it would have been the steal of the century for us, but it didnt work out. we did turn around & move Muller for Turgeon in a similar (grit for finesse) type of deal...but then promptly wasted that to...get corson back! (oh, the irony!!)

Apparently the deal was:

Steve Yzerman

for

Shayne Corson

Brent Gilchrist

Svoboda

Corson

Richer

Roy

for

Mario Lemieux

WOW im crying right now lol

I think the rumor was for Hossa..not Sundin. Gainey said No beacuse he didn't want to lose HIGGINS. :)

i remember the sundin rumour for higgins and prospects (i thought someone else was thrown in there but can't remember who) was reported on tsn, i don't know what the offer for hossa was.

jedimaas, from 90-93 yzerman was a scoring machine and the habs were without so...i'll gape at savard nixing that deal. :blink: (of course, at that time yzerman was also my favourite player after roy so it's not an unbiased opinion :) .)

Also of interest, when they were trying to get Yzerman once, Patrick Roy told them he would defer some of his pay if need be, just to get Yzerman !!!

I also heard rumours we tried about three times to get Wendel Clark from Toronto, I can't remember the players said to be going the other way.

It was along time ago !!!

Apparently to rumors...

To Montreal

- Mats Sundin

To Toronto

- Chris Higgins

- 1st Round pick

- <insert another prospect or pick, which was never disclosed>

Good thing Sundin said no and veto-ed the deal, because now if he signs with the Habs next month, we'll still have Higgins, and the Leafs would have nobody.

This was a trade from earlier in the 05-06 season before Jose faltered:

To COL: Jose Theodore

To MTL: David Aebischer, Alex Tanguay

Apparently this was montreal's offer. Colorado countered with:

Theodore/Zednik

for

Aebischer/Tanguay

And montreal said no thanks.

No, the Sundin rumour was a legit one. I read it in several papers after the fact.

I would rather have Roy than Lemieux. :mellow:

However, if that Yzerman deal is true, that would have been pretty amazing. :(

I agree. Roy, hands down over Lemieux. An elite goaltender is harder to come by than an elite forward. Too bad we didn't hold on to ours longer. He did win 4 championships, to Lemieux's 2, I believe.

Archived