The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Hockey Coming To The Wii

Fanpuck33

It's not EA's series,

No, but it is 2K Sports, which is better anyways, it's not like it's some no name company. I haven't played any hockey games in a few years, but when I played them back in like 2005 EA's version was quite poor while 2K's was rock solid.

No, but it is 2K Sports, which is better anyways, it's not like it's some no name company. I haven't played any hockey games in a few years, but when I played them back in like 2005 EA's version was quite poor while 2K's was rock solid.

NHL 2005 was, indeed, a step back for the series, after a strong game in 2004. EA's dynasty mode still needs work, but the gameplay the last couple years was fantastic. I believe NHL 08 won awards for best sports game of the year. Only 2k game I played was 2k7 for PS2, but I thought it had very poor gameplay. I wonder if 2k still has AHL teams and players now that EA has started using them.

The biggest problem with the 2K series is that the gameplay has been the same since 2005, where it out-shone EA for the first and only time IMHO. I still look forward to this game and hope for great things, Its a sure-fire addition to my wii library ;P

That being said, this may force EA to look into the Wii as well, EA has been the more innovative of the 2 franchises when it comes to gameplay, I'd love to see what they'd bring to the table with the Wiimote and Nunchuck...

NHL 2005 was, indeed, a step back for the series, after a strong game in 2004. EA's dynasty mode still needs work, but the gameplay the last couple years was fantastic. I believe NHL 08 won awards for best sports game of the year. Only 2k game I played was 2k7 for PS2, but I thought it had very poor gameplay. I wonder if 2k still has AHL teams and players now that EA has started using them.

I had 2004 and it was equally poor. It seemed like EA's games were designed by people who had never watched hockey. I can't speak for the last few years, but back then the 2K ESPN games were amazing.

I had 2004 and it was equally poor. It seemed like EA's games were designed by people who had never watched hockey. I can't speak for the last few years, but back then the 2K ESPN games were amazing.

New Generation EA hockey games have been great. I have NHL 08 on the PS3, and I can sincerely say that it's gone a long way up... and next year's will be even better, with "Be a Pro" mode.

NHL 09: Be a Pro

It’s already been mentioned, but one of the big features this year is the “Be a Pro” feature. Here’s how it works, you create a player when boot the game up for the first time. You obviously create your name, but you also choose through the audio database as to how the announcers will say your name. You do get to pick what organization that you want to play for, but you start on the 3rd line of the AHL affiliate!

When you hit the ice with your player you play from a really nice 3rd person camera and as you skate around during the game, there will be a position arrow showing you where you need to be on the ice. As you come back to the bench after your shift is over, you get instant feedback of how your shift went. Things like how often you were in position and if you got your other teammates involved and what not. It should also be mentioned that while you are in the bench, the camera view goes to first person as if you are really sitting on the bench in real life. Again, it’s the little things that count. Anyway, while you are on the bench you will see your energy bar and if it gets to a point where you think you are rested enough, you can ask the coach to get back on the ice.

http://consolesports.net/content/view/334/51/

• 1 month later...

And now EA is miles ahead of 2K. There's a reason NHL 08 won 7 awards for game of the year!

To tell you the truth I doubt it will be as interactive as you all think it is....maybe like jolting the wii-mote forward for a shot or something....but I think it will dissapoint as far as the interactivity of using the Wii-mote as a hockey stick. Just like with Tennis on Wii Sports.....yes, you can swing as if your playing tennis, but you can also just sit on a chair and move your wrist back and forth with similar results.

To tell you the truth I doubt it will be as interactive as you all think it is....maybe like jolting the wii-mote forward for a shot or something....but I think it will dissapoint as far as the interactivity of using the Wii-mote as a hockey stick. Just like with Tennis on Wii Sports.....yes, you can swing as if your playing tennis, but you can also just sit on a chair and move your wrist back and forth with similar results.

I agree with gumper. :huh:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived