Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens

Divisional Teams 2008-09


Recommended Posts

It's hard to say, but Boston does indeed look to be up-and-coming! I feel like Montreal will have another steady/strong season, and that Ottawa could either play amazing hockey or flop. Toronto, I think, needs to hit rebuilding mode, and Buffalo is also looking weaker and weaker as time goes on. They just can't afford anyone, it seems.

1. Montreal

2. Boston

3. Ottawa

4. Toronto

5. Buffalo

With that said, the rosters aren't even set yet, so... Take it with a grain of salt, I say.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's hard to say, but Boston does indeed look to be up-and-coming! I feel like Montreal will have another steady/strong season, and that Ottawa could either play amazing hockey or flop. Toronto, I think, needs to hit rebuilding mode, and Buffalo is also looking weaker and weaker as time goes on. They just can't afford anyone, it seems.

1. Montreal

2. Boston

3. Ottawa

4. Toronto

5. Buffalo

With that said, the rosters aren't even set yet, so... Take it with a grain of salt, I say.

seeing as how we don't know if sundin is going back to toronto, they could easily be #5 on your list.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

uh last time i checked...

we won the division so we're the team to beat.

bruins are gonna be better, wheeler, bergeron coming back ufas etc.

sens may get worse aging alfie, problems with redden, chris kelly i believe is a ufa.

buffalo is still young so theyre players may get better but honestly probably not that much.

and toronto, well, i dont wanna laugh too much so i wont wirte anything.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Stop making fun of Toronto thats what the movie The love guru is for. But Bruins are getting better and like someone said ottawa could flop 75% chance or could be back as a good team 25%. Toronto will just suck and Sabres could be good but are getting worse.

1.Montreal

2.Boston

3. Ottawa

4. Sabres

5.Toronto

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Right now I think it's too early too tell, most likely something in the order of

1) Montreal

2) Boston

3) Ottawa

4) Toronto

5) Buffalo

But there is still the possibility of major roster changes that could change my predicitions before the start of the season, I'm really intrested in seeing how the draft and UFA's unfold.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ummmmm,

Part of the reason Montreal did so well this year, in what was really an ultra tight eastern conference with 12 points separating the first spot from the ninth spot, was that we went a combined 14 wins and 0 losses against Boston and Philadelphia. If we had gone 6-8 against those teams which is more analogous to what happened in the playoffs we would have been in 10th place.

Against all the other teams in the NHL, we went 31-25-10, add in the fact there were no major injuries, and I don't think our position is that secure. Admittedly, I suspect all the teams in the NHL except the red wings are sub-500 when you remove the two best teams they played against, would be fun to check.

If I were to hazard a guess, I would say:

Boston

Montreal

Ottawa

Buffalo

Toronto

Boston will be much improved and energized from their impressive first round loss against a team that destroyed them in the regular season, and energized as the worst professional sports team in Boston. Ottawa will be improved due to a new coach, Toronto will be rebuilding, and Buffalo is continuing rebuilding.

We'll be first or second due to a lack of true competition.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As much as it pains me to say it...Boston will most likely be the team putting up them ost pressure to dethrone us, reigning division champs...with Ottawa behind them and Toronto and Buffalo battling to staty out of the cellar. If we and Boston pick up some timely UFAs, I dn't think the division will be as close as last year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm thinking we should forget about this thread before we get too far ahead of ourselves. :rolleyes:

Remember when the "experts" predicted us to be, like, 13th last season. Weill this season they, too, are going to pick us to make the post-season and we don't want them jinxing us now, do we? ;)

Why not there's like 10000 posts for our line up for next year, its just for fun anyway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Revised list:

1. Montreal - Looking better and better. Tanguay acquisition looks excellent. Sundin would put us over the top. We shall wait and see, I suppose. Scoring depth, solid D, potentially spectacular goaltending!

2. Boston - Bergeron back for the year. Fernandez back for the year. Continued development of younger players. Boston will be tough this season. Maybe needs help on D?

3. Ottawa - Hard to estimate. Weak in goal. Will still have one of the most offensively deadly lines in league. Maybe needs help on D, too?

4. Buffalo - Too young, too injury-prone, not enough cash invested in the team. Needs help with leadership?

5. Toronto - Ready to rebuild. Making some wise decisions with buyout/waivers, but has a long trek ahead of them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the hardest team to beat will be the Bruins, they will be healthy and getting some UFA's.

The Bruins do not have a lot of cap room. Do not expect them to sign many UFA's. IMO they are where the Habs were about 2 years ago. They are going to stick to their youth and build slowly around their developing players. I think they will be good, but I expect Montreal will be the pundits favorite going into the season. My list prior to the July 1st:

MTL

OTTAWA

BOSTON

BUFFALO

TO

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ummmmm,

Part of the reason Montreal did so well this year, in what was really an ultra tight eastern conference with 12 points separating the first spot from the ninth spot, was that we went a combined 14 wins and 0 losses against Boston and Philadelphia. If we had gone 6-8 against those teams which is more analogous to what happened in the playoffs we would have been in 10th place.

Against all the other teams in the NHL, we went 31-25-10, add in the fact there were no major injuries, and I don't think our position is that secure. Admittedly, I suspect all the teams in the NHL except the red wings are sub-500 when you remove the two best teams they played against, would be fun to check.

If I were to hazard a guess, I would say:

Boston

Montreal

Ottawa

Buffalo

Toronto

Boston will be much improved and energized from their impressive first round loss against a team that destroyed them in the regular season, and energized as the worst professional sports team in Boston. Ottawa will be improved due to a new coach, Toronto will be rebuilding, and Buffalo is continuing rebuilding.

We'll be first or second due to a lack of true competition.

I think you mean 12....8 vs boston and 4 vs philly.........still i get your point.....and you are right.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...