The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Official 2008 Nhl Draft Discussion Thread

HabsAdmin

Do you honestly think that Mr. Gainey made this trade on a whim? Do you really think that Timmins and the rest of the staff weren't consulted? :rolleyes:

Timmins is on record saying that this draft wasn't as deep as everyone seems to think. If they strongly felt that they could've drafted a player at 25 that woud've been an impact player, you can bet they would not of made this trade.

oh to look at it another way: it isnt as deep for the habs.

do you really want another D man prospect?

do you really want an unproven Q player?

or a veteran who can have an impact right here right now and who might want to take a pay cut to finish his years in montreal.

Im suggesting that you cannot recommend a better player to pick up with those picks. Who would we have drafted at number 25? What are the chances that player would do more for this club than Tanguay will? Whats the chance that player pans out and, assuming they like playing for Montreal, outplays Tanguay? And what reason do you have to believe that Tanguay wont play more than 1 season with the Habs? Im sure that you, as I have, noticed several posts quoting Tanguay that he would love to play for Montreal.

I'm not going to speculate who we would have drafted at 25. I'm always surprised when Trevor picks, and he does well at it. Ask Trevor Timmins who they could have gotten with those two picks.

To suggest that we couldn't have drafted someone who could have developed into a better player than Tanguay isn't realistic. To suggest that we couldn't have drafted a player who could have contributed more over several years than Alex will in one season isn't realistic.

Look at his stats and then remind yourself that he was playing with Forsberg and Sakic. He's good, but he's not that good. We simply paid too much.

Alex is UFA after next year. You ask why I don't believe he'll just resign with Montreal......well what makes you think he will? He didn't stay in Colorado, he didn't last in Calgary, what makes you think that he's going to suddenly have such undying allegiance to Montreal that he won't bother with Free Agency? July 1st of next year Alex is just another UFA looking for greener pastures. You have to admit, odds are he won't stay.

I'm not going to speculate who we would have drafted at 25. I'm always surprised when Trevor picks, and he does well at it. Ask Trevor Timmins who they could have gotten with those two picks.

To suggest that we couldn't have drafted someone who could have developed into a better player than Tanguay isn't realistic. To suggest that we couldn't have drafted a player who could have contributed more over several years than Alex will in one season isn't realistic.

Look at his stats and then remind yourself that he was playing with Forsberg and Sakic. He's good, but he's not that good. We simply paid too much.

Alex is UFA after next year. You ask why I don't believe he'll just resign with Montreal......well what makes you think he will? He didn't stay in Colorado, he didn't last in Calgary, what makes you think that he's going to suddenly have such undying allegiance to Montreal that he won't bother with Free Agency? July 1st of next year Alex is just another UFA looking for greener pastures. You have to admit, odds are he won't stay.

what if this is kharma? what if this is finally the year where a trade benefits us and a UFA stays for a pay cut(depending on his performance)

now were all looking at this hypothetically...but lets face it,

ryder for tanguay?

first rounder for tanguay?

ill trade you the first rounder and see if the players ive got cant rebound.

I am quite sure the scouts were consulted and gave their backing.

Bob would have asked them that with the picks they had if the could draft something that could become better.

If Timmins felt he had a better prospect, Bob would have kept the picks.

Well....consider this Andre Savard (the guy who rebuilt our scouting/development department and is mainly responsible for our recent wealth of great draft picks.....he brought in Timmins as well) was p.o.'d with Gainey because Gainey went full steam ahead ignoring Andre's advice at the draft table during his last year. Andre was very unhappy with how BG handled it and jumped ship for Pittsburgh.

"Alex Tanguay was not comfortable with the Calgary Flames," general manager Bob Gainey told TSN's sister station in Quebec RDS. "He was on our list of coveted players and was always available. At 28 years of age, I think could be on our team for several seasons."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=241256&amp...s=topStory_main

Kovalev's replacement next year?

Well....consider this Andre Savard (the guy who rebuilt our scouting/development department and is mainly responsible for our recent wealth of great draft picks.....he brought in Timmins as well) was p.o.'d with Gainey because Gainey went full steam ahead ignoring Andre's advice at the draft table during his last year. Andre was very unhappy with how BG handled it and jumped ship for Pittsburgh.

Good for Andre........of coarse there is room for disagreement, but rest assured this has been discussed, and agreed upon before the deal was made.

well if he doesnt we will have 5million freed up on the cap next july

Well you believe in Timmins. So please don't forget the 5th rounder we got this season in that deal. This player might develope in the best of all players/picks included. ;)

what if this is kharma? what if this is finally the year where a trade benefits us and a UFA stays for a pay cut(depending on his performance)

now were all looking at this hypothetically...but lets face it,

ryder for tanguay?

first rounder for tanguay?

ill trade you the first rounder and see if the players ive got cant rebound.

Ryder had a miserable year last year in more ways than one. I'm thinking it's a pretty safe bet that Mike is going far far away via UFA.

I'm not so sure we win this trade even if Alex resigns. He's good but not great, but he (and his agent) thinks he is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

$5.375 million is a huge cap hit. If you all want to talk about landing a big fish, we may not be able to now that we're paying him all of that. We may also lose Streit for the same reasons.

We'd be foolish to pay him that much money for a new contract. If BG offers him a more sensible contract, some other GM will almost surely be offering him a ridiculous amount because they have tons of cap space and don't really care.

Good for Andre........of coarse there is room for disagreement, but rest assured this has been discussed, and agreed upon before the deal was made.

What do you mean rest assured? What is Trevor going to do, overrule Bob and say "no I won't let you"?

Lol, honestly how is it unrealistic to suggest that we could not pick someone who could REALISTICALLY develop into a better player than Tanguay. Obviously there is a chance, there always is. But that chance is not something that you can REALISTICALLY determine. IMO the players remaining in this draft (and this is before our 25th pick) will not develop into the player that Tanguay is.

Secondly let me remind you that he was not linemates with Sakic and Forsberg... Sure he played with them on occasion as he will with Koivu and Kovalev in Montreal. Not to say that Koivu and Kovalev compare to Sakic and Forsberg but the lineups certainly do.

Again I have to suggest you do some research as Tanguay was let go by Colorado as they felt that there were other players they would prefer to spend money on, And rightfully so. No he was not happy in Calgary hence why he was seeking a trade during the deadline.

And im not suggesting that he will resign. Im saying that he is just as likely to resign as he is to not. And that whatever player we may have picked at 25, whether panned out or not, also has a 50/50 chance of wanting to play for us.

What it pans down to is that I believe that having Tanguay, a proven athlete who we have no reason to believe will be the next Samsonov, is a great pick up in place of yet another prospect who is likely average in our pool at best. To argue that perhaps there was a slight edge is totally a personal matter as to what you think of specific prospects. However you cannot within reason suggest that Bob made a horrible move here. He has taken away the large risk that the rookie will be a bust and replaced it with the slight possibility that Tanguay wont.

Ryder had a miserable year last year in more ways than one. I'm thinking it's a pretty safe bet that Mike is going far far away via UFA.

I don't think he'll go that far away as I think he will end up in Boston. They are looking for scoring wingers and Claude Julien knows him very well.

I'm not so sure we win this trade even if Alex resigns. He's good but not great, but he (and his agent) thinks he is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

$5.375 million is a huge cap hit. If you all want to talk about landing a big fish, we may not be able to now that we're paying him all of that. We may also lose Streit for the same reasons.

We'd be foolish to pay him that much money for a new contract. If BG offers him a more sensible contract, some other GM will almost surely be offering him a ridiculous amount because they have tons of cap space and don't really care.

What do you mean rest assured? What is Trevor going to do, overrule Bob and say "no I won't let you"?

Rest assured, this managment team got us this far.....they will get us the rest of the way.

Hey everyone. Sorry if I'm getting moody. I'm in NY and can't watch the draft. I had planned on watching it online like I did last year, but the only site (I can find) that is offering it is TSN.ca and they aren't allowing people to see it outside of Canada. :angry:

This sucks. I could cry.

You would have thought the people at NHL.COM would have had a live stream or something !!!!

Rest assured, this managment team got us this far.....they will get us the rest of the way.

This management team got this far because BG let Andre's team do their job at the draft table. The result has been some great players drafted and this team's turn around.

I don't have time to open this can of worms (my brother should be arriving soon from NJ :) ) ....but BG doesn't have as much to do with this teams success as many of you would like to believe.

Hey everyone. Sorry if I'm getting moody. I'm in NY and can't watch the draft. I had planned on watching it online like I did last year, but the only site (I can find) that is offering it is TSN.ca and they aren't allowing people to see it outside of Canada. :angry:

This sucks. I could cry.

its alright to get emotional about your team. It tells myself and everyone who reads your posts that you are a true and caring fan of the montreal canadiens... As sappy as that sounds :P

This sucks. I could cry.

Can't get Vs?

This management team got this far because BG let Andre's team do their job at the draft table. The result has been some great players drafted and this team's turn around.

I don't have time to open this can of worms (my brother should be arriving soon from NJ :) ) ....but BG doesn't have as much to do with this teams success as many of you would like to believe.

I hate to say it, but you may be underestimating how much Bob has to do with this team's success

Archived