1. 1. Go in Retirement or Play Hockey?

• Retire.
    • Sign with Toronto
    • Sign with Vancouver
    • Sign with Montreal
    • Sign with another Team

links coming

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=241233&amp...s=topStory_main

"Sources tell TSN the Toronto Maple Leafs are trying to encourage Mats Sundin to decide his playing future before July 1.

In the past 24 hours the Montreal Canadiens were granted persmission by the Maple Leafs to speak to Sundin's agent J.P. Barry about the possibility of the 37-year-old centre signing in Montreal.

"We gave Montreal permission," Leafs general manager Cliff Fletcher flatly told TSN. "Nothing else to say."

The Leafs would have to trade Sundin's negotiating rights to the Canadiens to facilitate an early signing.

It's too early to say whether or not the two Canadian teams will make that move, as the Canadiens' reluctance to give up any assets for the privilege to get to the Leafs' captain may be based on his willingness to speed up his decision making.

At this point, Sundin remains uncertain as to whether he or not he will play at all, so the Canadiens' attempt to get a head-start may turn out to be a fruitless exercise.

The Canadiens believed they were close to a deal to acquire Sundin at the trade deadline, but Sundin refused to waive his no-trade to accomodate that deal, or the potential for any other."

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question is, what do the Leafs want for his neg rights? The trade deadline scuttlebutt had Higgins and first-rounder for Sundin straight up. Obviously, the asking price would have to be less now because we would only be getting negotiating rights out of season, not a partial contract during a season. I'd love it if we could swing this deal with just picks and maybe a prospect or two. I really wouldn't like to see Higgins lining up against us six times a year.

Question is, what do the Leafs want for his neg rights? The trade deadline scuttlebutt had Higgins and first-rounder for Sundin straight up. Obviously, the asking price would have to be less now because we would only be getting negotiating rights out of season, not a partial contract during a season. I'd love it if we could swing this deal with just picks and maybe a prospect or two. I really wouldn't like to see Higgins lining up against us six times a year.

Our first pick and...Milroy hehe :P

it just says they gave us permission, not that we acquired his rights... two different things aren't they?

Though i have no idea why they'd just give it away...

ckac just said we traded our first rounder.

it just says they gave us permission, not that we acquired his rights... two different things aren't they?

exactly. i think we just have permission to talk to his agent which is basically done so gainey can figure out what sundin will be looking for - moving or staying, interested in mtl or no, dollars etc.

is ckac right or are they jumping the gun? i wouldn't expect to pay more than our first rounder for his rights. it is the laffs after all ;)

Yes, they are two different things, and the reason they'd give us permission is so we can determine through Sundin's agent whether he'd be willing to play in Montreal. If he is willing, then we'd give Toronto compensation to be the sole team able to negotiate with Sundin before July 1. It's in Toronto's best interest to give us permission. If they don't, they're just increasing the likelihood of Sundin going somewhere else without them getting any compensation.

For what? The neg rights?

CKAC is saying we traded for him?

Remember John Leclair?

ckac said we traded our first rounder. Didn't say anything else though. meaning they didn't say it was for sunding or for anybody, just that we've traded it away. Sorry for not specifying, although it is still pertinent for this discussion... Jokinen + sundin ? :D:P

Archived