The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Possibly Touchy Question...

Raimu

Over the years, the habs have had a ton of hall-of-fame players, many unforgettable faces that have passed through the ranks, and we honor them by retiring their sweaters, their number forever linked to the man, the mere utterance of "The number nine" brings memories of the Rocket swirling back into the heads of his fans. As long as the people who watched him lived, this will never change...

But my question is, today, the great team we have now, by honoring all these great players, we have forced our current players into wearing... 46, 74, 84, 40, 56, 32, just to name a few. Between the numbers 1 and 10, only 3 are available. Thats ridiculous. Which brings me to a conflict inside my own mind, while I agree with honoring the heroes of the past, I also don't want the players of the present to be forced to wear football numbers because of it.

So, basically, there are a few ways I look at this, one, the most obvious, leave it as is. Our heroes are entitled to the honor the organization has bestowed upon them, and nobody has the right to take it away.

Or, secondly, do what Toronto does (uhhhhg, just saying that makes me feel dirty, who'd wanna run a team in any way like the leafs?) where the numbers are just "honored" not retired, meaning players can still wear them...

Third, a system where the living retirees can waive it for certain players, I'm pretty sure they can already do it, but I don't believe its ever encouraged. I'm not saying like joe blow wear #9, what I'm saying if Vinny ever winds up in Montreal, if Beliveau is okay with him borrowing #4 for a while, by all means, that would be great. (Or Savard letting Tanguay wear #18 ;P... maybe not XD)

Or, lastly, maybe there should be a time frame on how long the number will be out of circulation, 10, 15, 20, 25, 50 years? No disrespect to the Magnificent Morenz or anything, but I'm sure if he knew that players 70 or so years after his number was retired were wearing numbers like 84 he'd be happy to put 7 back into circulation.. unfortunately he never really knew of his number being retired because it happened after his death...

Maybe I'm just babbling, but I guess those are my thoughts on the whole thing. What do you think?

Never going to happen. It's a huge honor to have your number retired, if incoming players have a problem, habs management should tell them to suck it up, its part of the huge history we have here.

Yes, because we don't have enough trouble getting players to sign here already /sarcasm.

Seriously tho, think about it.

Yes, because we don't have enough trouble getting players to sign here already /sarcasm.

Seriously tho, think about it.

If a player refuses to sign here, because they don't get the number they want I don't want them. It's just a number, the point of retiring is the honor and what it means to the player. To others, numbers shouldn't mean a thing.

there's always the option of having some numbers retired for good while others just honored without the retirement...but that would probably create problems since some would go into like "why favor him" or "what makes him better than the other". so i say leave it as is. but thought i would still share the possibility.

What if retired numbers were back into circulation, and in the future all current players wearing that number have a patch added to the shoulder of the jersey with the "honored" players name.

Habs_Richard.jpg

The banners should still hang in the rafters, but for as much as we all love the tradition of the Habs, they are gonna run out of "traditional" numbers if all the worthy players are retired.

If a player refuses to sign here, because they don't get the number they want I don't want them. It's just a number, the point of retiring is the honor and what it means to the player. To others, numbers shouldn't mean a thing.

Thats not the point. Imagine if you're in contract negotiations and Bob Gainey tells you to "suck it up". That negotiation ends there. That player walks out. You're suggesting we rudely disrespect players, which makes me damn glad you don't run a team because clearly you have no social skills whatsoever if you can't figure out that telling somebody to "suck it up" is rude.

Thats not the point. Imagine if you're in contract negotiations and Bob Gainey tells you to "suck it up". That negotiation ends there. That player walks out. You're suggesting we rudely disrespect players, which makes me damn glad you don't run a team because clearly you have no social skills whatsoever if you can't figure out that telling somebody to "suck it up" is rude.

Obvioiusly not in those words. But yes, if I'm negotiating and a player says he won't sign because of the number, I don't want him. There are bigger issues to signing with a team.

If you really think this will "never happen" then you either think _______ will come to and end in the near future where ______ is:

a) The Habs

B) The NHL

c) The World

Or that we shall never have any other player decent enough to deserve having his number retired. Or maybe you think we should start moving into triple digit numbers and above.

Sure, I'll take number 4561.

We're bound to run out of numbers, or have a serious shortage thereof in the near future. Then what? Saying this will "simply never happen" is showing some impressive shortsightedness on your part.

Yeah, it's a great honour, but I've been thinking myself if retireing a number forever isn't maybe too much of an honour. Is a player ever really more important than the team?

I'm willing to meet halfway and compromise, so I'll go with the "retire for X amount of time", say, 10 years. Nobody wears your number for 10 years. Pretty cool eh? If it were just abolished completely it would probably cause too much of an uproar...

As much as I admire the past, it's stupid not to make room for the future.

If you really think this will "never happen" then you either think _______ will come to and end in the near future where ______ is:

a) The Habs

B) The NHL

c) The World

Or that we shall never have any other player decent enough to deserve having his number retired. Or maybe you think we should start moving into triple digit numbers and above.

Sure, I'll take number 4561.

We're bound to run out of numbers, or have a serious shortage thereof in the near future. Then what? Saying this will "simply never happen" is showing some impressive shortsightedness on your part.

Yeah, it's a great honour, but I've been thinking myself if retireing a number forever isn't maybe too much of an honour. Is a player ever really more important than the team?

I'm willing to meet halfway and compromise, so I'll go with the "retire for X amount of time", say, 10 years. Nobody wears your number for 10 years. Pretty cool eh? If it were just abolished completely it would probably cause too much of an uproar...

As much as I admire the past, it's stupid not to make room for the future.

There are in total 101 (87 left, in the case of the Habs) numbers to choose from. I hardly think we're going to run out anytime soon.

whats going to happen is we will end up with a mix sooner or later.

we will have our retirees, our stanley cup champs, vezina winners and what not...

and then we'll have our honoured players, those who "didnt do enough but did do enough" to earn there number in the rafters.

There are plenty of numbers left. And I see no problem raising 93 to the rafters should a phenomenal franchise player wear it. I can understand having a connection to a number, one you may have worn all your life, but playing your best hockey no matter number your name is stitched above is whats important. I'm sure Bourque wanted to wear #7, but his pulling off the #7 sweater is one of my favorite hockey moments. And in doing so, he made #77 an honored number in Boston.

There are in total 101 (87 left, in the case of the Habs) numbers to choose from. I hardly think we're going to run out anytime soon.

100.86. You included 0 and 00, but you also included 99. Nobody has ever worn 01,02,03,04,05,06,07,08 or 09, maybe those are options and will bump it up to 109/95.

100.86. You included 0 and 00, but you also included 99. Nobody has ever worn 01,02,03,04,05,06,07,08 or 09, maybe those are options and will bump it up to 109/95.

haha, yes I did include 99. Good call. Either way, still a ton of numbers left.

Its true there's a ton of numbers left but I like being a smartass :P

Also, I do kinda miss "traditional" numbers, as mentioned earlier. Thats one of the things I liked about the ducks cup team, they were pretty much numbered 1-20 with a few exceptions :P

What if retired numbers were back into circulation, and in the future all current players wearing that number have a patch added to the shoulder of the jersey with the "honored" players name.

Habs_Richard.jpg

The banners should still hang in the rafters, but for as much as we all love the tradition of the Habs, they are gonna run out of "traditional" numbers if all the worthy players are retired.

I like this idea that you got going on here. They can wear the numbers that they want and it still will be an honor to share a number with one of the greats.

Habs_Richard.jpg

I like this idea that you got going on here. They can wear the numbers that they want and it still will be an honor to share a number with one of the greats.

I like this idea as well. However I think the number 9 should be the only number retired, the rest can come down as you suggest.

Archived