AK-1

missiaen_05.jpg

Name: Jason Missiaen

Position: G

Catches: Left

Height: 6-7

Weight: 193 lbs

Birthdate: 1990-04-25

Drafted: 4th round - 116th overall (Montreal Canadiens)

Hometown: Chatham, Ontario

Next up for the Habs was their 116th overall pick, which they used to snag supersized goalie Jason Missiaen of the Peterborough Petes. The Canadiens’ selection of the 6-foot-8 giant marked the first time Montreal has drafted a goalie since picking Carey Price fifth overall in 2005.

“I started playing hockey when I was eight years old,” recalled Missiaen, the tallest player ever to be chosen by the Habs. “But the problem was that my mom insisted that I wear the most protection possible and that’s how I became a goalie.”

Ranked 23rd among North American goalies, Missiaen was nonetheless the 12th goalie to hear his named called at the Scotiabank Place this weekend.

“I wasn’t even sure I was going to show up today, but I definitely don’t regret having made the trip now,” admitted Missiaen with a smile. “I knew Montreal was interested in me, but I never expected to be picked so soon. This whole experience is hard for me to even put into words.”

http://canadiens.nhl.com/team/app/?service...rticleid=366473

Thank you AK for starting this thread.

If I may, permit me to update his stats, I had a great chat with Jason at the Petes Awards Banquet last month …….. Jason is now 6’8” and 217lbs.

I don’t know who I’m happier for … Jason or the Habs.

What a great pick you have in Jason.

He shares the same calm and cool characteristic that Price has, must be a goalie thing.

I really miss you guys, and hockey too of course :blush:

Thank you AK for starting this thread.

If I may, permit me to update his stats, I had a great chat with Jason at the Petes Awards Banquet last month …….. Jason is now 6’8” and 217lbs.

I don’t know who I’m happier for … Jason or the Habs.

What a great pick you have in Jason.

He shares the same calm and cool characteristic that Price has, must be a goalie thing.

I really miss you guys, and hockey too of course :blush:

He is huge. As long his lateral mouvements and glove are good he cant be scored on.

Interesting pick. I mean, we have two young goaltenders in Price and Halak. I thought that we would wait at least 1 or 2 more years to pick another goalie. But you never know how Jason's going to develop. The scouts must have felt strongly about him.

Jason Missiaen, G

Quailer wasn’t the only attendee of the Canadiens’ scouting combine to be selected by the club – there was another attendee who made the cut – and he was a big presence.

Missiaen is an imposing presence in the net. At 6’8 he’s head and shoulders above the competition – pretty much even when he’s in the butterfly. Under 200 pounds, Missiaen will have to fill out, but Timmins said he’s liked what he’s seen – and he’s been fortunate to see him.

“I got to see him three times out of the [18] games that he played,” Timmins said. “He’s a hybrid goaltender and he has extremely quick legs and quick feet.”

Missiaen, stuck behind Colorado draft pick Trevor Cann in the Peterborough system, only got into 18 games in 2007-08, winning eight, losing eight, with one tie. He posted a .911 save percentage and a 3.28 GAA.

So how do you assess a back-up goaltender in his draft-eligible year – a problem that’s increasingly frequent as CHL clubs prefer to go with older, more experienced netminders?

“You hope the other goalie gets pulled and you see him against good shooters,” Timmins said, laughing. “Seriously, our goalie scouts saw him a few times and really liked him, and [Canadiens’ goaltending coach] Rollie Melanson also got a look at him.

“We’re anticipating that he’ll play in more games this season [in Peterborough] and be fighting for the No. 1 job.”

Source: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/1046...8_draft_review/

wasn't Ken Dryden a giant ! ... I think he had an alright career ;)

or perhaps he was just a giant when faced with my Bruins :o

on TSN today they had a awesome little report about the Canadiens prospect camp and it was mostly about Jason Missiaen, at the end of it TSN reporter John Lu made a reference saying that Missiaen could very well be the next Ken Dryden who of course during his time in the 1970s towered over everyone as well.....Lu was also saying that OHL players have had alot of trouble getting the puck past Missiaen this past season...also had a interview with Montreals goaltending coach Rollie Melanson who said for a bigger guy that Missiaen can move very well and impressed with how much of an athlete he is, and they also interviewed (The Subbanator) PK Subban ( I like this guy and get a kick out of him) Subban said that he didn't know how to pronounce Missiaens last name which is actually Mission....all and all very cool...

Archived