The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens

Brett Favre Hints At Return

Randy15

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3471189

I love you Brett, but you are killing the Packers with these games. First, you retire. The state of Wisconsin and the city of Green Bay go into collective depression, but slowly realize that 1) you are old 2) you are not THAT good anymore and 3) they need to get this kid Walters some experience so they can turn toward the future with a new QB. Hold the phones. Brett wants back in, and the Packers as a franchise are so whipped by this guy that they really cant say no, god forbid he plays for a team that really could use the talent he still has, did someone say da' Bears. Walk into the sunset Brett, we love you, just retire and get into broadcasting....

Not really. If you read the article, Favre calls it a 'rumor'...hardly a full on denial. The rest of the article is information from those around him saying he is 50-50 and that he is in football shape. If he had outright denied it, this wouldnt be news.

I'm a big Packers fan, but there is no way I want Favre back.

He had a great career, but I'm tired of the 45 yard jump ball style he now has.

He's actually cost them some playoff games in the last 5 years because of his style of play.

Lets the team move on with a young competant QB all ready to go.

There is a little more to this.

This feud was going on way before the media picked up on it, it started at the beginning of June with Favre asking to come back. Mccarthy gave him every shot after the season ended even a month after his "crying retirement speech" but then they moved on to getting Rodgers ready to QB a contending team after Favre repeatedly said he was done. Now after he asked for a release they're not just going to give it to him, especially since division rivals Minnesota and Chicago would be prime suitors along with other NFC teams such as Atlanta. My gut instinct is hs traded to the AFC, Buffalo may be in the market, who knows maybe Miami would want Favre to show their young QB's a thing or two but I think Parcells in committed to rebuilding.

I'm not sure also if there is a cap hit from his 12 mil dollar salary also if they release him, for the same reason this whole "you can come back as a backup" is a pure bluff, theres no way they would want to carry that salary to backup, if would be the equilvalent if we gave Huet the same salary he got from Chicago to mentor Price.

In my opinoin, hes going by trade to the AFC or retiring and Green Bay is holding all the cards so theyll bump up the asking price hard for last years pro bowler.

(3+ high picks isn't out of the question)

And by the way to other posters, he IS ready to play this year, hes been working out the last 2 months at an inhuman pace and all of ESPN's analysts who have watched him train says he is nearly ready to go a full year, he'll be ready by training camp.

There is a little more to this.

This feud was going on way before the media picked up on it, it started at the beginning of June with Favre asking to come back. Mccarthy gave him every shot after the season ended even a month after his "crying retirement speech" but then they moved on to getting Rodgers ready to QB a contending team after Favre repeatedly said he was done. Now after he asked for a release they're not just going to give it to him, especially since division rivals Minnesota and Chicago would be prime suitors along with other NFC teams such as Atlanta. My gut instinct is hs traded to the AFC, Buffalo may be in the market, who knows maybe Miami would want Favre to show their young QB's a thing or two but I think Parcells in committed to rebuilding.

True a release is out of the question, the Packers will not let Favre control his own destiny, nor should they. Its the time period you reference that I have heard sources use to criticize the Packer's front office. Basically the argument is that the Packers wanted Favre to retire and knew that applying the question right after the season was the best time to get him to commit to retirement, perhaps because the failures of the NFC championship were so fresh, perhaps because the wear and tear of the season was still felt. Either way, the onus was and still is on Brett to have made a concrete decision, I dont buy any of this "packers pressured him" into retirement garbage. If he needed more time, the Packers wouldve given it to him without question....apologies for lack of source, this was a sports radio conversation Im referencing.

Ive been hearing the Bucs as a possible landing spot. Garcia is on the outs there.

and then there is this....http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3485351.

I guess some Packers fans still want him.

• 2 weeks later...

It's getting pretty annoying. Why is, that when a player announces his retirement, he comes back? Especially, when you get to think about it for quite some time. It's like if Sundin decides to retire, but then come September time, he decides to come back...It just annoys me..

• 2 weeks later...

Archived