The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Alexander Radulov Bolts For Russia

So apparently Radulov has signed either a 2 or 3 year deal to go home and play in Russia leaving the Preds with one season left on his contract. The only link is to a report in Russian which as we all know is specualtive at best (Kovalev incident) so I guess we will have to wait and see if this rings true or not.

This is ridiculous, I don't see why if he's a competitive athlete, he wouldn't want to play in top league in the world. He could always do a 'Jagr' and play there at the end of his career or in a few years? I feel very sorry for the Nashville Predators who probably cant afford to lose him with no comphensation!

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. If there was a problem with the Leafs signing the swedish guy, this will clearly be a problem scenario also.

René Fassel, president of the International Ice Hockey Federation told Corus Sport that Radulov will not be able to play in Russia due to the recent agreement between the Russia and the NHL. As for Radulov, he said that he signed his contract with the team Ufa before the agreement so the Predators will not be able to keep him. It will be interesting to follow this. I don't care if a guy who's in the end of his career go play there but it's sad to lose such a good young player like Radulov. That's a hard loss for the Preds...

Link (french): http://www.corussports.com/hockey/radulov_...11-1036373.html

i'm shocked and a little saddened: i never thought we'd lose budding talent to the kontinental league. of course, i guess it seems more likely that players, who are stuck in a wasteland where hockey has no market, will leave to play where hockey is everything. if he played for the habs i doubt he'd be leaving. ;)

i'm curious to see this play out but i don't see the point of keeping radulov if he doesn't want to play in the nhl.

René Fassel, president of the International Ice Hockey Federation told Corus Sport that Radulov will not be able to play in Russia due to the recent agreement between the Russia and the NHL. As for Radulov, he said that he signed his contract with the team Ufa before the agreement so the Predators will not be able to keep him. It will be interesting to follow this. I don't care if a guy who's in the end of his career go play there but it's sad to lose such a good young player like Radulov. That's a hard loss for the Preds...

well, if he wanted I guess Fassel could threaten to keep Radulov out of the Olympics and WC for failing to honour a legitimate contract...

as for Radulov's argument, it's irrelevant since there isn't an actual transfer agreement, so there's no "letter of the law" to hide behind... it's only an 'understanding' between the NHL and KHL, i.e. I think there's only a verbal agreement, and he's definitely not honouring the 'spirit' of that agreement...

I can't see any player who leaves the NHL -- despite having a valid contract, i.e. NOT UFAs like Emery, Jagr, Graeme, etc., -- being welcomed back with open arms...

Brutal

IMagine if that that happened to one of our guys

It would crush us

agree.

I feel bad for the team/fans.

Last season I went to the Preds/Habs games and a whole section was filled with Radulov fans. :blink: Maybe they came from Russia...they must be happy now! <_<

edit: How is Perezhogin doing these days?

I don't care if a guy who's in the end of his career go play there but it's sad to lose such a good young player like Radulov. That's a hard loss for the Preds...

Yea, this is the first out of all the Russian League signings that should send any bit of concern through the NHL and its fans. Radulov is a solid, young hockey player. His example could be followed by present NHLers and will almost guarantee an inclination on the part of future Russian youngsters to consider playing at home. Mind you no one should be all that concerned just yet, but if this snowballs in the coming years.....

lol what a stupid kid in my book, the guy wanted to play in the NHL so badly that he left his homeland at 18 to play for the Quebec Remparts, now that he's done it, he's taking the biggest contract available.

I don't even want players like this in the NHL.

Go play in syberia, and stay there.

Who is his agent? HE should be banned from the agency. Yes Radulov is a crook for jumping ship on a signed contract but his agent is a bigger crook since he allowed it knowing that he'll be getting more money from this contract. (Salavat Yulaev was contacting Radulov for the past two years already.)

So, let's see. The IIHF claims he can't because of the new "verbal agreement" between the Kontinental league and the NHL, and Radulov says, "Whatever," because he signed before the agreement. I say, who the heck cares? It's only a verbal agreement, I'm not a Nashville fan, and let the kid go play in his home country if he wants too! :P

Sure, it would suck if it happened to us, but I would like to think we take better care in drafting Europeans, and keeping them in the NHL. Montreal IS, after all, much classier than Nashville. :lol:

One thing's for sure. New precedent for NOT drafting Russians in the next draft.

Sure, it would suck if it happened to us, but I would like to think we take better care in drafting Europeans, and keeping them in the NHL. Montreal IS, after all, much classier than Nashville. :lol:

One thing's for sure. New precedent for NOT drafting Russians in the next draft.

I wasn't watching the habs closely at the time but didn't the same thing happen to us with Perezhogin? Only he was in his RFA period? :unsure:

Brutal

IMagine if that that happened to one of our guys

It would crush us

Belive me in Sweden we know exactly how this feel (so does the rest of the hockey world) and now the russians got the money and its paybacktime. Cant blame them at all. KHL pays our clubs while the NHL dont so I wont shed a tear. This could be the beginning of a european league equal to the NHL, it may not. I think I like it to be honest.

If NHL would ´ve been more humble things like this probably wouldnt happen.

Hard words maybe but now you know how we have had it for 20 good years.

Still love watching NHL, grown up with it and that wont change in a heartbeat.

Belive me in Sweden we know exactly how this feel (so does the rest of the hockey world) and now the russians got the money and its paybacktime. Cant blame them at all. KHL pays our clubs while the NHL dont so I wont shed a tear. This could be the beginning of a european league equal to the NHL, it may not. I think I like it to be honest.

I getcha Twillight, were the players leaving the Swedish league for NHL while still on contract with a local team???

I getcha Twillight, were the players leaving the Swedish league for NHL while still on contract with a local team???

More often than not ,sad to say. Frögren (1 year left) is the last example of it and then you have Ledin (1 year left) to Col and Jämtin (Rangers) not entierly sure if he still had a contract though. These are examples of players this year that had high proifile in their respective teams. There are more of course.

Its hard to be competetive when you lose players overseas every year and dont get any money to replace them.

I wasn't very aware about that.. the european leagues need to make a little more PR about this here in North America.

A lot of fans here think that it's the big bad Russia that is in fault here (especially if you look at the way most hab fans were trashing Perezhogin after he left). But from what you're saying it's obviously the NHL that has been lurring players with "the big money" and now have bitten on something cold and hard by getting outpriced and outclassed. :lol:

nope, not going to happen... when most of the world's hockey-playing population is, and most of the world's elite players are, in North America, that's where the center of the hockey universe will remain...

no single European domestic league can match the NHL's deep pockets -- one of the KHL clubs is already on the verge of withdrawing from the league, because it can't meet a $10M payroll 'floor' -- and pan-European leagues/championships have tried and met with only limited success, e.g. Europa Cup, European Hockey League... the Champions Hockey League is considered the last 'best hope' for hockey to make a major impact on the European-wide sports scene...

some players who would be wanted in the NHL would be lost to the KHL, but not many, and those that go may find the door back to the NHL is no longer wide open to them -- the NHL is a 'closed shop', no one is 'entitled' to play in the league so if you tell your NHL club to take a hike, don't expect any club to take you back without major concessions... all that's happening now are mostly fringe NHLers are going over and getting superstar money... well, if KHL owners want to spend their money even stupider than NHL owners, let 'em... and when the KHL eventually runs out of money for these big salaries, what will they do then?...

Rene Fasel is right that the NHL-KHL situation could very easily turn into a war, he's wrong that there would be no winner -- the NHL would eventually win... the NHL is more powerful than the IIHF, all the IIHF could do to the NHL is keep them from the WC and Olympics... well, so what? Hockey Canada and USA Hockey would just hold their own tournaments and they'd be better than the WC and Olympics without North American teams -- the IIHF needs the NHL more than the NHL needs the IIHF...

btw, the NHL did compensate European teams (except for Russia which withdrew from the transfer agreement) for signing players no-longer under contract to European teams -- not as much as the clubs wanted, but it was better than nothing which is what the NHL could legally have given them without the agreement...and thanks to a lack of an agreement now, that's what the European teams will get now

I can't see any player who leaves the NHL -- despite having a valid contract, i.e. NOT UFAs like Emery, Jagr, Graeme, etc., -- being welcomed back with open arms...

I don't see what difference if they are UFAs or RFAs or other type of free agents makes. The type of free agent is purely an internal matter for the NHL, externally a player has a contract or they don't. Kind of like when around the lockout Hamilton of the WHA drafted Micahel Ryder, Montreal really didn't care that they held his WHA rights, he wasn't under contract so it wasn't our problem. RFAs have the same rights to go to another league as UFAs do. Radulov should have waited one more year for his contract to expire before he went.

*And for your information: I was never in the NHL, making it kind tough to have left it :P

I don't see what difference if they are UFAs or RFAs or other type of free agents makes. The type of free agent is purely an internal matter for the NHL, externally a player has a contract or they don't. Kind of like when around the lockout Hamilton of the WHA drafted Micahel Ryder, Montreal really didn't care that they held his WHA rights, he wasn't under contract so it wasn't our problem. RFAs have the same rights to go to another league as UFAs do. Radulov should have waited one more year for his contract to expire before he went.

*And for your information: I was never in the NHL, making it kind tough to have left it :P

you're right about there not being a distinction between RFA and UFA -- RFAs do not have valid contracts either... I only wrote UFA because all the players I used as examples were UFA, none were RFA... off-hand, I'm not sure if any 'name' RFA have gone to Europe, they may all be UFA...

Archived