The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Montreal Canadiens Opening Weekend

WesternWill

HUGE NEWS MONTREAL FANS!!!

The Montreal Canadiens will begin the 2008-2009 season with back-to-back games on Friday, October 10th and Saturday, October 11th. The season opener will be against the Buffalo Sabres at the HSBC Arena and will be the home opener for the Sabres. The following night, the Canadiens take on the Maple Leafs live on Hockey Night in Canada in a game that is also a home opener for the opponent.

Credit to: Toronto Star and Buffalo's Official Website

Excellent, I plan to attend one game in edmonton, and one in calgary. Its safe to assume they will be either back to back games or split by 1 day. I think maybe ill fly the old man from the east coast to MTL and try to get tickets to a habs leafs game...

One can Dream!

That makes sense. Especially with TSN's new television deal with the NHL that's supposed to feature Wednesday night doubleheaders with Canadian teams, I'm assuming the Habs home opener that night will be the early feature game.

Without a doubt it will be! I can't wait to see all the special videos and tributes we are going to see for the Montreal Canadiens this upcoming season, it is going to be unreal!

Let's just hope we continue our regular season dominance of the Bruins! Play it fast, play with skill and Boston stands no chance!

Boo at the Boo Birds! I don't think Ryder deserves that... Save those Boos for Lucic and Chara ;) (Ya I know we just boo the Bruins in general ;) )

Hey, have the Canadiens ever started a season at home? (Recently, at least, like I don't know...since the last Cup)? It's kind of funny. But also...Habs seem to do better on the road :lol: Nice that it's Buffalo and Toronto. Stays close to home. I heard the first pre-season game is against Detroit at the Joe, though, I thought there was a game against Buffalo being played in some town outside Montreal. (Unless that just some kind of exhibition match)?

It'd be better if the first game was in ACC vs. the Leafs on a saturday.. you know... if we have mats in the linup anyway. You have no Idea how much I wanna see that. No Idea... They'll probably have a big ceremony from him at the get-go anyway, he'll get some cheers, then have a 5-point game for the habs and be booed out of the building *laughs and smiles while daydreaming*

Boo at the Boo Birds! I don't think Ryder deserves that... Save those Boos for Lucic and Chara ;) (Ya I know we just boo the Bruins in general ;) )

Hey, have the Canadiens ever started a season at home? (Recently, at least, like I don't know...since the last Cup)? It's kind of funny. But also...Habs seem to do better on the road :lol: Nice that it's Buffalo and Toronto. Stays close to home. I heard the first pre-season game is against Detroit at the Joe, though, I thought there was a game against Buffalo being played in some town outside Montreal. (Unless that just some kind of exhibition match)?

Yeah i don't think Ryder will get the Boos either. If I am at the game I don't really Boo him or cheer him. He sucked last year for sure and he is a Bruin now.. but I got too many other bruins to hate first. Firstly Chara and Lucic as you said. If I boo Ryder its just cause he is a Bruin nothing special.

It'd be better if the first game was in ACC vs. the Leafs on a saturday.. you know... if we have mats in the linup anyway. You have no Idea how much I wanna see that. No Idea... They'll probably have a big ceremony from him at the get-go anyway, he'll get some cheers, then have a 5-point game for the habs and be booed out of the building *laughs and smiles while daydreaming*

Oh I will be at that Oct 11th game for sure.. Can't wait can't wait.. Habs 6 Leafs 0!

I will be in Buffalo and Toronto for the first two games this year. I was just in Montreal today to pay for my season tickets and stopped at the team store. I was pleased that they had Laraque jerseys available, but no authentic models as of yet. I have ordered one though, along with a boat load of merchandise already purchased today. I am looking forward to putting some major miles on my car this year (driving from Ottawa to Montreal for each game will do that)!

Pftt...Habs finish first in the East and they play their first two games on the road. What a joke!

The schedule isn't based on your record in the previous season, so the fact we were first doesn't really matter.

We're going to have to play back to back road games at some point during the season, why not get it out of the way early? We still play 41 games on the road, and 41 at home, no big deal.

Lame that they start off with back-to-back games. Hope their legs are ready for it.

I think I heard the schedule will be more compact this year, so there will be more back to backs and 3 in 4 type scenarios.

Not surprised.

Ryder fans won't have very long to watch their Newfie in action. I think the Boo Birds will be pretty loud that night. :mellow:

True. I know Ryder kinda had an off-year last season but I just hope he doesn't become the next John LeClair and burn us every time we play against him now.

True. I know Ryder kinda had an off-year last season but I just hope he doesn't become the next John LeClair and burn us every time we play against him now.

We'll be fine. ;)

Kostitsyn is going to blow right by him (Ryder) in the neutral zone, dish off to Plekanec, who in turn will blow by Chara in the defensive zone, and score an amazing goal on Thomas.

Archived