The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Sundin Ready For Vancouver

Heres the Swedish Newspaper Link and headline

Sundin klar för Vancouver

http://www.dn.se/DNet/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=672&a=806514

Roughly Translated....

Mats Sundin, 37, has decided. According to Dagens Nyheter, the Swedish star to continue playing in the NHL and then it will be Vancouver.

-- I talked to Vancouver last yesterday (Friday), but that he would be ready is more than I know, if so, "says the agent Claes Elefalk to DN.

Several clubs have shown great interest in Mats Sundin has always said that he has not made up its mind about their careers even to continue. However, according to a source of DN, he has now decided to become the NHL and Vancouver next season.

-- His agent in North America declined by KHL on the grounds that he is fully ready for Vancouver. The fact that he has written on, why would he say if otherwise. He may, of course, a large sum of money in the event of a overgång here, "said the source.

The agent denied

The agent Claes Elefalk confirms the DN that Sundin has talked with Vancouver, but deny that something would be done.

-- I did not even know he had taken the decision to continue playing hockey, he continues.

Could this all finally come to an end? Hopefully. I just want to know either way.

Looks like Sundin will go to Vancouver not to Montreal

Make Sundin go to vancouver... If he does go it just shows he is a discusting player whos does not play for the passion of hockey and actually care to be a cup contender hes just brainwashed by the money. If he does end up in Vancouver it is a shame to the game of hockey on his part, his whole carreer might be ruined.

You know what.. good mats stay out of montreal

id never really consider him a habs memeber anyway, hes a leaf .... that needs to be stepped on

i have no respect for him anymore for the amount of time he is taking its ridiculous!!!! and by going to vancouver id hate him... I just cant wait till vancouver comes to Bell Center.. hahhah OO BOY

hes so ugly i dont wanna see him in a habs jersey anymore better off witout him, so we hve money to re-sign true hab players.

or maybe

SELANEE

This is not the most reliable source in the world,

But anyhow,

The difference between montreal and vancouver is quite large, so I can see why he'd pick Vancouver, and I'd probably do the same if I were him.

20 million over 2 years in vancouver is probably like 11 million, whereas 7 million in montreal for one year is like 3.5 million... sure he has what he might estimate is a 15% chance for a cup in Montreal, but Vancouver has better weather, better food... and more money.

I doubt any of you would turn down doubling a salary.

This is not the most reliable source in the world,

But anyhow,

The difference between montreal and vancouver is quite large, so I can see why he'd pick Vancouver, and I'd probably do the same if I were him.

20 million over 2 years in vancouver is probably like 11 million, whereas 7 million in montreal for one year is like 3.5 million... sure he has what he might estimate is a 15% chance for a cup in Montreal, but Vancouver has better weather, better food... and more money.

I doubt any of you would turn down doubling a salary.

Vancouver has better food and better weather?? Are you nuts?

Vancouver has better food and better weather?? Are you nuts?

Yes I've been there.

Montreal's weather is minus 30 with wind in the winter and plus 30 with extra humidity in the summer. I love Montreal but the weather is the city's weak link. Vancouver's a lot more mild. You're also surrounded by mountains and ocean there.

As for food, well that's probably not what Sundin thinks about so I'm not sure why I mentioned it other than the fact I was hungry, but Vancouver likely has the best food in Canada and some of the best in North America. Go there and see for yourself, or check out the reputation using google.

Yes!

I hope this is true :)

I never wanted Sundin here and if he ends up in a Canucks jersey I'll be able to continue hating him, as in the west I'm an Oilers fan.

Oh and hopefully with this people on the forums can start talking about next season, and our team which I think in it's current state will be able to do very well.

maybe this article was poorly translated?

I mean there's not even a sniff of this on TSN. The article was made public in Sweden 10 at night, which would have been the middle of the afternoon in North America. News like this would have certainly broke TSN's sportscentre in the evening reports.

On TSN now: http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=243880&lid...os=topStory_nhl

REPRESENTATIVE DENIES REPORT THAT SUNDIN SIGNS WITH CANUCKS

A Swedish newspaper nearly started an international incident on Sunday as they reported that Mats Sundin has agreed to play for the Vancouver Canucks, a claim that Sundin's Swedish representative denies.

Sundin's Swedish based representative Claes Elefalk claims the story in the Daily News is completely false, claiming that reporter Dusan Umicevic contacted him seeking a quote. Despite Elefalk telling the reporter that his information was incorrect, Umicevic published the story anyway.

While the Canucks remain one of the team's that Sundin is considering, he has yet to make a decision as to whether or not he will play next season.

Earlier this week, Canucks general manager Mike Gillis discussed the Sundin situation on a Vancouver radio station, stating he was encouraged to continue an on-going dialoge with Sundin and that he is still confident that Sundin would accept the Canucks' two-year, $20 million contract.

Sundin's agent J.P. Barry confirmed the Canucks' interest, however he stated that his client would take his time in making a decision, which would likely occur sometime in late July or early August.

"The Vancouver offer and the time that Mike (Gillis) has spent with Mats is important," Barry told TSN. "But ultimately Mats has to decide to play and that is the first step here."

After being drafted first overall by the Quebec Nordiques in 1989, Sundin was dealt to Toronto in a blockbuster deal by then-Leafs general manager Cliff Fletcher. The Maple Leafs traded Wendel Clark, Sylvain Lefebvre, Landon Wilson and first round pick to the Quebec Nordiques for Sundin, Garth Butcher, Todd Warriner and a first round pick.

The nine-time All-Star is the leading scorer in Maple Leafs franchise history. Over his 13 seasons in blue and white, Sundin scored 420 goals and 987 points and spent 10 years as team captain.

Sundin had another stellar season for the Maple Leafs, recording a team-best 32 goals and 78 points this past season. Sundin, a two-time second-team NHL All-Star, won a gold medal with Team Sweden at the Torino Olympics in 2006.

In 83 playoff games, Sundin has scored 35 goals and 74 points, with all but four of those points coming in a Leafs uniform.

Archived