The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens

Mike Milbury Joins Hockey Night In Canada

Hockey Night in Canada will welcome a familiar face and opinionated hockey mind next season, with Mike Milbury joining the show as an analyst.

Milbury, who has spent over 30 years in the NHL as a player, coach and general manager, will also be a regular contributor to the Hot Stove segment on HNIC.

“We're very pleased to welcome Mike to our talented broadcast team,” HNIC executive producer Sherali Najak said in a statement. “His experience as an NHL player and executive is reflected in an entertaining on-air style. We look forward to his honest opinions and knowledge on what's happening around the NHL on a weekly basis.”

Milbury played 754 games over 12 seasons as a defenceman for the Boston Bruins, collecting 238 points and 1552 penalty minutes, and reaching the Stanley Cup final twice. He also coached Boston to a Stanley Cup appearance, in 1989-90.

Milbury, 56, then joined the New York Islanders, serving as coach, general manager and vice-president in nearly a dozen years with the organization.

He called it "a privilege" to join the most famous hockey broadcast.

“For more than half a century, CBC has brought hockey into living rooms across Canada with passion, insight and joy,” said Milbury. “Hockey Night in Canada has been a chronicler and caretaker of the game and part of its history."

Coach-player with Big Bad Bruins reunite

Milbury will be reunited on the show with a familiar jousting partner, Don Cherry.

Cherry coached Milbury for three seasons in Boston. In Cherry's autobiography, Grapes, the colourful commentator recounted memorable arguments the pair engaged in en route to the team's practice facility.

Hockey Night in Canada will kick off its North American schedule in 2008-09 with a doubleheader on Thursday, Oct. 9. The Detroit Red Wings will unveil their Stanley Cup banner before taking on the Toronto Maple Leafs, and the Calgary Flames will face the Canucks in Vancouver.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2008...lbury-hnic.html

-------------------------

I guess this CBC's payback for TSN stealing the HNIC song.

they hired a guy who did the following... (snagged from wiki)

He has traded away defensemen Zdeno Chara, Wade Redden, Bryan Berard, Eric Brewer, Darius Kasparaitis, and Bryan McCabe; goalies Roberto Luongo and Tommy Salo, as well as forwards Olli Jokinen, Todd Bertuzzi, Raffi Torres. Milbury has also come under fire for his draft day decisions such as choosing Rick DiPietro first overall in 2000 over Dany Heatley and Marian Gaborik; as well as his decision to include the 2001 second overall draft pick (Jason Spezza) as part of the Alexei Yashin trade.

what the..>!? i hope they aren't hiring him for his knowledge of hockey

they hired a guy who did the following... (snagged from wiki)

He has traded away defensemen Zdeno Chara, Wade Redden, Bryan Berard, Eric Brewer, Darius Kasparaitis, and Bryan McCabe; goalies Roberto Luongo and Tommy Salo, as well as forwards Olli Jokinen, Todd Bertuzzi, Raffi Torres. Milbury has also come under fire for his draft day decisions such as choosing Rick DiPietro first overall in 2000 over Dany Heatley and Marian Gaborik; as well as his decision to include the 2001 second overall draft pick (Jason Spezza) as part of the Alexei Yashin trade.

what the..>!? i hope they aren't hiring him for his knowledge of hockey

While I am not enamoured with Mike's GM routine, I have read that alot of those deals and decisions were not his, but his owners ideas.

Milbury to be fair does have some knowledge of the game, and should be commended for his stance on fighting in Junior hockey.

Does this make him a suitable commentator for the CBC ? Well, we are going to find out !!!

I'm not too pumped about the Millbury addition but this is a very good change.

Hughson and Simpson >>>> Cole and Millen. Plus I'll see much less garbage like Toronto vs Tampa.

Less Leafs on HNIC?

posted by Mike Boone at 7h42 EST on Aug 1

How do you spell relief?

N-O-L-E-A-F-S

Better Saturdays may be in store for long-suffering Hockey Night in Canada viewers who yearn to see teams not wearing blue and white jerseys.

William Houston reports in the Globe and Mail that Jim Hughson and Craig Simpson are moving east to become HNIC's primary broadcast crew, and the national telecast "will not always involve the Toronto Maple Leafs, as it has in the past. If the Leafs struggle through a losing season, which is expected, the CBC's distribution of their games could be limited to Ontario.

"Hughson and Simpson would call a national game involving the Ottawa Senators or Montreal Canadiens. Cole and Millen would announce the Leafs' telecast in Ontario."

http://habsinsideout.com/main/8771

".. could be limited to Ontario." :(

Wow!What a way to get me to move to Halifax or somewhere!!!!I know,it's been a reality for quite some time now anyway,but when you put it in print in front of me like that ,it's hard to keep my lunch from coming up.

Anyhow,I guess it really shouldn't affect me who they decide to slide into the HNIC lineup since I haven't been able to stomach the tripe they've been forcefeeding us for years! Thank God for RDS!

I agree with an earlier post that Milbury does not hold anything back,speaks his mind,but doesn't

all these hockey sportscasters do the same.

H.N.I.C. adding Mike Milbury doesn't crank me up,can't tolerate him.

For the record,big DON CHERRY fan, never miss coach's corner because of what don brings to

the segment.

I wish all the best for mike in his new role,but coming to H.N.I.C,.....big deal.

Archived