The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Is It Time To Change The All Star Game Format?

Alot of people I know cite the MLB all-star game as the most exciting. While I disagree with that statement I do agree that some changes should be made to make the ALL-STAR game more relavant. Maybe taking a page out of the MLB book and give home ice advantage to the winning conference or even bring back the Rendez-vous 87 format?

Just a thought and see if there are any original ideas out there

I would like to see them play for something.......like alot of money....or somekind of trophy.....maybe a dodge viper per player...............anything so that the players say " i want to win...bad!"

then maybe we would get more then a little game of."look what i can do"

i like that mlb has home field advantage on the line, but the unavoidable difference between the mlb and nhl is that players are much less likely to hurt themselves by playing hard in the mlb all-star game than the nhl-ers would be if they were to play the nhl all-star game at full speed and force. would you want a montreal all-star to be injured in the all-star game that ends up giving the sens or the pens home ice in the scf?

i'm okay with the "look what i can do" game... i like watching the skills competition more anyway.

i like that mlb has home field advantage on the line, but the unavoidable difference between the mlb and nhl is that players are much less likely to hurt themselves by playing hard in the mlb all-star game than the nhl-ers would be if they were to play the nhl all-star game at full speed and force. would you want a montreal all-star to be injured in the all-star game that ends up giving the sens or the pens home ice in the scf?

i'm okay with the "look what i can do" game... i like watching the skills competition more anyway.

Samehere. Charlemagne..this isn't Shark infested water,watch out :P lol

They do get prizes, don't they? Didn't Gretzky get a car (that he gave away to someone else)? Isn't there also some money sent to charity? Also, it's more for the guys to cut loose and have some fun without worrying about some goon crunching your ribs to mush along the boards. Goalies have been injured though...

The uniforms can be kind of ugly :ph34r: I'd change those...

Not really sure how you can change it. I think some of the additions they made this year to festivity part of it (the trick shot, or whatever it was called) was cool to watch. But what else could you really add without making it a circus and more of a reason for some stars to not attend? Prizes like a new car or something are kind of wasted on guys making 2-10 million dollars a year. Maybe have the coachs be the current cup finalist team's coaches. But as long as the ASG doesnt give an advantage to a side during the playoffs. Not really fair if you get 120 points, presidents trophy, ect and are the road team during the playoffs because your all star team sucked for a day.

Pretty much all right on the mark. Not much they can do with NHL All-Star game, given the proclivity to avoid injury/contact. It is what it is.

If this new KHL pans out, an NHL vs KHL all star game would be cool. Never gonna happen though.

that would be very cool. i think it would also be cool to have the stanley cup champs play a team of allstars made up of players from both conferences. it might trim some of the fat at least. ;)

Not really sure how you can change it. I think some of the additions they made this year to festivity part of it (the trick shot, or whatever it was called) was cool to watch. But what else could you really add without making it a circus and more of a reason for some stars to not attend? Prizes like a new car or something are kind of wasted on guys making 2-10 million dollars a year. Maybe have the coachs be the current cup finalist team's coaches. But as long as the ASG doesnt give an advantage to a side during the playoffs. Not really fair if you get 120 points, presidents trophy, ect and are the road team during the playoffs because your all star team sucked for a day.

technically, it would only be for the finals not the entire playoffs but still, the season is gruelling enough and players still need that incentive to bring their game up to what we expect of them, imho.

Not really fair if you get 120 points, presidents trophy, ect and are the road team during the playoffs because your all star team sucked for a day.

How fair is it to play in the better conference and a better division all year, and lose home ice to a team in the weaker conference playing weak divisional opponents 8 (now 6) times a season?

Realistically, with the unbalanced schedule there is no way to do it fairly. That's why MLB doesn't award it on whoever has the most wins for the world series, since you play in different leagues and totally different schedules it really doesn't fairly decide.

Pretty much all right on the mark. Not much they can do with NHL All-Star game, given the proclivity to avoid injury/contact. It is what it is.

The NHL allstar game will never be the MLB allstar game, but the MLB allstar game is probably in a class by it's self. The Pro browl and NBA allstar game are both a joke as well.

Like someone said, it's basically impossible to not try at baseball... A guy isn't going to try not to swing too hard because it's an allstar game. Also, with baseball the parks are so different that every year it's worth watching just to see a different park decked out for the game.

Even before the game counted, the MLB allstar game was a lot better.

They do get prizes, don't they? Didn't Gretzky get a car (that he gave away to someone else)? Isn't there also some money sent to charity? Also, it's more for the guys to cut loose and have some fun without worrying about some goon crunching your ribs to mush along the boards. Goalies have been injured though...

The uniforms can be kind of ugly :ph34r: I'd change those...

I don't think they have a 'goon' category in the all-star game, so there wouldn't be a goon crunching an all-star, but another all-star hitting another one. I see no reason that they players should not play a REAL game. They should play for home-ice advantage or something of the sort. These guys are being paid top dollar, and damnit, I want to see an all-star play like an all-star. But even if that were to happen, I don't think it would raise the intensity level up that much that the players would get reckless....

The All Star game is what it is. In a way it's kind of good we have one game a year that is just about having fun, scoring lots of goals, seeing the best players put on a show. If you put something on the line, you'll have injuries, defensive play, low scoring games, etc.

Also, the home ice think is inherently unfair. Say last year, I can't remember who won but let's say it was the East. So now Detroit, despite having a far better record than Pittsburgh and a President's trophy, doesn't get home ice advantage because of a game that Detroit had little control over. Baseball is a bit different because the two leagues are much more separated than the NHL's conferences, although it still can be somewhat unfair.

All star game is a joke.

Its nice to make the all star team.

But even then your playing in a joke of a game... Its meaningless no one is trying besides for the goalies...

I couldnt even watch it last year.

It bugs me how soo many ppl are upset when certain players from our team dont make the all star team. as its soooo pointless, Let our guys rest up. They deserve it

Toss a puck in the air with a swing and miss gives you a 9 out of 10, while Datsyuk's quick move that ended up in the net gets at most a 6 out of 10.... JOKE

Lobing a puck over a small obstacle to make it go in a tiny net... wow, i'd rather watch curling.

Stickhandling through only one short line of pucks... I wish they kept the old obstacle course...

So now Detroit, despite having a far better record than Pittsburgh and a President's trophy, doesn't get home ice advantage because of a game that Detroit had little control over. Baseball is a bit different because the two leagues are much more separated than the NHL's conferences, although it still can be somewhat unfair.

At the sametime Graeme is it not unfair that Pittsburgh got it's points playing in a division with 4 95+ point teams, while Detroit played in a division with no one else over 95 points. I'm not saying awarding home ice based on the allstar game is a good idea for hockey but it's also nonsensical, imo, to award to the team with the best record given the (still) unbalanced schedule.

I suppose, with the schedule change I don't have a big problem with it, because now you're facing the other conference fairly, but since the lockout the NHL schedule has basically been the same as baseball, some interleague games but mostly just within your conference.

At the sametime Graeme is it not unfair that Pittsburgh got it's points playing in a division with 4 95+ point teams, while Detroit played in a division with no one else over 95 points. I'm not saying awarding home ice based on the allstar game is a good idea for hockey but it's also nonsensical, imo, to award to the team with the best record given the (still) unbalanced schedule.

I suppose, with the schedule change I don't have a big problem with it, because now you're facing the other conference fairly, but since the lockout the NHL schedule has basically been the same as baseball, some interleague games but mostly just within your conference.

But probably part of the reaosn the rest of Detroit's division had less points was because of Detroit - those 8 games can make a big difference. Plus, outside of the divisions, the Western conference was tougher than the Eastern, and there were plenty of games played within the conerence but outside of the division.

That said, overall you have a point, but things generally have a way of balancing out. Like last season, Detroit was clearly the better team than Pittsburgh. I think it would be the exception that a worse team has a better record. Even last year in the East, in theory Washington should have had tons of points because of the weak Southeastern division, but in reality they barely had enough points to make the playoffs (if not for the division winner rule). I'm not claiming this is perfect, but it seems way better than giving it to the All Star game winner, which is basically as good as flipping a coin.

The best system is the NFL's for the Superbowl (city picked well in advance), although this wouldn't really work for the NHL in my mind.

• 2 weeks later...

Where i do feel that the game itself is meaningless,and pretty much boring,i do enjoy the skills

segment and adding a few different stints last yr . was good .When i say boring,i do realize that

it is not played the same as the other 82 games of the yr. It's just a moment when the n.h.l.

can showcase their super-stars all at once,and limiting the chances of any teams losing their

star player to injury.

I do feel that the all star game format is missing something else, just don't know what.

Go habs.

• 2 months later...

Archived