The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Maurice Richard

I had a chance to watch again the movie "The Rocket", and having had the chance to meet him twice, I am aware of his place in hockey history. I am also aware of his cultural icon status as a leader of an entire population - which I respect even though he was a very reluctant hero.

But, I have a question about his role overall in sports history - what made him special and unique among the athletes in modern sports history? Was it his burning desire to be the best, and to win? Or was it his separating himself from the rest by taking on league president Clarence Campbell and becoming a leader to the people of Montreal and Quebec? Or was it just that he was so exciting as a player and personality?

I am inviting you to chime in on the legacy of this extraordinary person, whom I have had the pleasure of meeting and talking to twice. I believe his legend will continue to grow as the Canadiens continue to regain their place among the elite teams in sports. I am very heartened to see the Richard movie being distributed everywhere. I even saw several copies in the local Best Buy where I live.

I would love to hear your special Richard stories and what he meant to you, as a player and / or as a person. I would like to use this opportunity to explore fully the depth of the Richard legend and why he became not only a great player, but was able to do the one thing not even Gordie Howe and Wayne Gretzky were able to do, and that's to become cultural icons and leaders of an entire generation.

I have made my feelings on Richard known on several occasions, but would love for you to share yours. He was an extraordinary man whose exploits, accomplishments, and overall personality have rubbed off on me. I consider him the most influential person who ever came into my life, even if it was for two brief, but very special, moments. When I need inspiration, I know I can turn to him it, even though he is now gone. He will live forever in my heart, and I intend, in my own way, to pass the legacy on by being committed to the ideals he stood for.

Please join me.

:D

I had a chance to watch again the movie "The Rocket", and having had the chance to meet him twice, I am aware of his place in hockey history. I am also aware of his cultural icon status as a leader of an entire population - which I respect even though he was a very reluctant hero.

But, I have a question about his role overall in sports history - what made him special and unique among the athletes in modern sports history? Was it his burning desire to be the best, and to win? Or was it his separating himself from the rest by taking on league president Clarence Campbell and becoming a leader to the people of Montreal and Quebec? Or was it just that he was so exciting as a player and personality?

I am inviting you to chime in on the legacy of this extraordinary person, whom I have had the pleasure of meeting and talking to twice. I believe his legend will continue to grow as the Canadiens continue to regain their place among the elite teams in sports. I am very heartened to see the Richard movie being distributed everywhere. I even saw several copies in the local Best Buy where I live.

I would love to hear your special Richard stories and what he meant to you, as a player and / or as a person. I would like to use this opportunity to explore fully the depth of the Richard legend and why he became not only a great player, but was able to do the one thing not even Gordie Howe and Wayne Gretzky were able to do, and that's to become cultural icons and leaders of an entire generation.

I have made my feelings on Richard known on several occasions, but would love for you to share yours. He was an extraordinary man whose exploits, accomplishments, and overall personality have rubbed off on me. I consider him the most influential person who ever came into my life, even if it was for two brief, but very special, moments. When I need inspiration, I know I can turn to him it, even though he is now gone. He will live forever in my heart, and I intend, in my own way, to pass the legacy on by being committed to the ideals he stood for.

Please join me.

i agree! everytime i watch that movie it seems like i learn something new about him. i also have the dvd : the man the legend, which has the cartoon short on there called : the sweater. for those of you who saw the movie (youngblood) w/ rob lowe, well mr.richard took part in a (shaving) ritual like that depicted in the film. mr richard was playing the part of patrick swayze and a news paper reporter was rob lowe ..if you get my drift . :D the reporter shared that story in the hockey news last year. he was the habs beat writer back then. i can only imagine what that poor guy must have thought seeing mr. richard standing over him w/ those wide eyes of his and that razor in his hand. :D

The movie was great, but everybody who is interested in the rocket should also read his bio's/books aswell. The best book I have ever read was "Our life with the Rocket, the Maurice Richard story" (author Roch Carrier).

To me, eventhough we live in different times, the Rocket is still a big inspiration.

I have never see him play live, only on tv when they showed some old recordings, but being a huge Habs fan, and having a big personal collection of books and memoires, that was how I got to know the Rocket, the player and the person.

Passion... dedication... strenght... he had it all.

The movie was great, but everybody who is interested in the rocket should also read his bio's/books aswell. The best book I have ever read was "Our life with the Rocket, the Maurice Richard story" (author Roch Carrier).

To me, eventhough we live in different times, the Rocket is still a big inspiration.

I have never see him play live, only on tv when they showed some old recordings, but being a huge Habs fan, and having a big personal collection of books and memoires, that was how I got to know the Rocket, the player and the person.

Passion... dedication... strenght... he had it all.

I think that's part of the appeal, the fact he was able to transcend generations through his playing exploits and deeds as a person. He was truly a leader, in every sense of the word. He may have been a reluctant hero, but he was definitely a leader and most of all, a winner. And that was very infectious, and had a big impact on me. Some people I knew in my life could not understand my emphasis on winning, but it is more of a mindset than anything else. What I believe Richard was trying to show us was the desire to win had to burn brightly all the time, whether we won or not. Those eyes were not just symbols of his fire and passion (and a look into his soul), but a bright light for all who want to succeed can see. They are like the lighthouse beacon leading us to the safe harbour of success. He is easily the most dynamic, influential person I have ever met, or will ever hope to meet.

I have his autobiography, included in the book "The Flying Frenchmen: Hockey's Greatest Dynasty", co-written by him and Stan Fischler. It is a dual-book, with a great history and critique of the Canadiens by Fischler, and Richard's autobiography. It took me a long time to find this book so I could own it, but I used to check it out of the library every chance I got.

I am too young to have seen him play but my parents tell me the passion and determination for what he did has been unequalled. Nothing like seeing him come down the left wing with a couple of guys hanging on for dear life trying to stop him.

Your parents were right on about his passion for hockey.

Richard was unlike most players - a left-handed shooting right wing. You don't see too many of these, and one other great Habs exception was Yvan Cournoyer. Richard started out as a left-winger upon arriving at the Canadiens, but Dick Irvin saw what the junior coaches saw, Richard's ability to skate the right side and be able to have a much better angle towards the net than most players. Also, it didn't hurt to have a tremendous backhand shot.

While I didn't meet the Rocket, I had the pleasure of hearing (radio) and watching him (Forum and TV) play from the late '40s on. He was unique in so many ways and always electrified the Forum with his play. Though his style was somewhat emulated by other players, there was really only one Rocket, and not just in name alone. His name and fame are synonymous with the habs, and their record as the most successful hockey franchise in history.

While I didn't meet the Rocket, I had the pleasure of hearing (radio) and watching him (Forum and TV) play from the late '40s on. He was unique in so many ways and always electrified the Forum with his play. Though his style was somewhat emulated by other players, there was really only one Rocket, and not just in name alone. His name and fame are synonymous with the habs, and their record as the most successful hockey franchise in history.

You are very lucky to have experienced the Richard legend first-hand. What was it like when he scored a big goal? I have heard the Forum would shake to the rafters.

Yea, and to repost my little story here:

AWESOME!!!

The company I work with in the winter distributes all of McFarlane's figures throughout Canada. So, I'm so getting one!!!

To go along with the Richard fig, there is also a Kovalev figure that is coming out this month(August).

http://www.mcfarlanetoys.com/toys/product.aspx?product=3538

Earlier this year, myself and some other memebrs here noticed the inaccuarte look of the Kovy figure(eqiqment, skates, visor, ect.) and I actually wrote to the design guys as Spawn.com and informed them of their mistakes.

To my delight I got a response a few days later, and they knew about the problems. The figure was actually a Teemu Selanne design, but since Teemu wasn't present earlier last season, they did a quick replacement moc-up of our AK27.

SO we have 2 awesome figures coming our way HABS FANS!!!!

I 'll have to get Maurice Richard to add to my collection of past hab legends figurines.

Cournoyer,P.Mahovlich,Chelios,Beliveau & Lafleur.

Hope they come out with Gainey & Dryden sometime soon.

Anyway,thanks for the alert on Maurice Richard,adding the ROCKET will be cool. :D

The hockey sweater 10 minutes long

I remember a teacher showing this clip during school, our class has a few hockey fans but only 2 like the habs and 1 likes the leafs. Yuck!

Getting back to the subject of Richard, this clip can also be found on the DVD Maurice Richard - The Man - The Legend, and it says it all about the impact Richard had on his generation.

Also, check out this interview featuring both Roch Carrier and Richard, at:

http://archives.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/clips/13331/

Before the interview, there is a long excerpt from The Sweater.

Also visit to hear more great Richard clips, courtesy of the CBC Archives:

http://archives.cbc.ca/search?q=Maurice+Ri...p;x=15&y=11

Archived