The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Habs Ink Chad Anderson

Krusher55

Habs ink defenseman Chad Anderson

Montreal Canadiens

Aug 6, 2008, 12:00 PM EDT

PRESS RELEASE

MONTREAL - Canadiens GM Bob Gainey announced Tuesday the signing of free-agent defenseman Chad Anderson to a one-year, two-way contract (2008-09). As per club policy, financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

Anderson, 26, spent the 2007-08 season with the AHL’s Philadelphia Phantoms. In 55 regular-season games, the 6-foot-4, 217-pound blueliner amassed 13 points (two goals, 11 assists), served 35 penalty minutes and finished second on the team with a plus-11 rating.

From 2003 to 2007, the Chisago, Minnesota, native played in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association (WCHA) for the University of Alaska Anchorage Seawolves. In four seasons with the Seawolves, Anderson compiled 49 points (16 goals, 33 assists) and 215 penalty minutes in 138 games.

In 2006-07, his final campaign with Alaska Anchorage, Anderson led all Seawolves defensemen with an NCAA personal-best 20 points (seven goals, 13 assists). He also finished second in the conference with 96 penalty minutes and third on the team with 89 shots on goal.

Anderson, a three-time WCHA All-Academic selection, captained the Seawolves for 15 games during his senior season.

from the main site

Habs ink defenseman Chad Anderson

Montreal Canadiens

Aug 6, 2008, 12:00 PM EDT

PRESS RELEASE

MONTREAL - Canadiens GM Bob Gainey announced Tuesday the signing of free-agent defenseman Chad Anderson to a one-year, two-way contract (2008-09). As per club policy, financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

Anderson, 26, spent the 2007-08 season with the AHL’s Philadelphia Phantoms. In 55 regular-season games, the 6-foot-4, 217-pound blueliner amassed 13 points (two goals, 11 assists), served 35 penalty minutes and finished second on the team with a plus-11 rating.

From 2003 to 2007, the Chisago, Minnesota, native played in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association (WCHA) for the University of Alaska Anchorage Seawolves. In four seasons with the Seawolves, Anderson compiled 49 points (16 goals, 33 assists) and 215 penalty minutes in 138 games.

In 2006-07, his final campaign with Alaska Anchorage, Anderson led all Seawolves defensemen with an NCAA personal-best 20 points (seven goals, 13 assists). He also finished second in the conference with 96 penalty minutes and third on the team with 89 shots on goal.

Anderson, a three-time WCHA All-Academic selection, captained the Seawolves for 15 games during his senior season.

from the main site

Good Depth move and this may mean Brisebois will not be resigned... perhaps the days of Bouillon and/or Dandenault may be under greater scrutiny too. Swinging a deal for one of these two is imperative to free up another roster spot IMO.

The two-way contract may also just mean he will be starting out in Hamilton.

Bob's doing a good job with the depth moves. I am happy that we are going to have several decent AHL defencemen at camp working very hard to make the jump to the NHL. Anyone of these two-way contract guys could end up being a diamond in the rough for us. Someone who can play a simple game, and do it well. Everyone's going to have to come to camp and be prepared to play hard on the blueline. I also assume this means maybe both Subban and Weber won't be signed to entry-level contracts for one more year.

Bob's doing a good job with the depth moves. I am happy that we are going to have several decent AHL defencemen at camp working very hard to make the jump to the NHL. Anyone of these two-way contract guys could end up being a diamond in the rough for us. Someone who can play a simple game, and do it well. Everyone's going to have to come to camp and be prepared to play hard on the blueline. I also assume this means maybe both Subban and Weber won't be signed to entry-level contracts for one more year.

I think your right about Subban JR but I think Webber would be an overage player when the OHL starts this fall, not sure that is the best thing for him to be back there. We have until June 1/09 to sign him and I suspect he will be offered a contract very soon, perhaps management is waiting to see how he performs at camp before they make a final decision.

Wow are we ever loading up on D-men, has to be some moves in the making. Welcome to the club Mr. Anderson.

Question for anyone. Does a two way contract allow a player to pass through waivers without concern of being picked up by another club?

I think your right about Subban JR but I think Webber would be an overage player when the OHL starts this fall, not sure that is the best thing for him to be back there. We have until June 1/09 to sign him and I suspect he will be offered a contract very soon, perhaps management is waiting to see how he performs at camp before they make a final decision.

Wow are we ever loading up on D-men, has to be some moves in the making. Welcome to the club Mr. Anderson.

Question for anyone. Does a two way contract allow a player to pass through waivers without concern of being picked up by another club?

That's why its two-way... to avoid waivers

Perhaps a player like Weber could be involved in a trade...

Funny how everytime a d-man gets signed people come out and say Brisebois won't be re-signed. Anderson is already 26 years old and hasn't played a single game in the NHL. I'm not saying he can't make the Habs roster but this move was likely a depth move for Hamilton and not for Montreal.

Funny how everytime a d-man gets signed people come out and say Brisebois won't be re-signed. Anderson is already 26 years old and hasn't played a single game in the NHL. I'm not saying he can't make the Habs roster but this move was likely a depth move for Hamilton and not for Montreal.
I did suggest that possibilty too... even though I did speculate on Brisebois, Bouillon and Dandenault.

Yes I agree a depth move, with a chance at the team, but that just puts a few others on the bubble, Brisebois hasn't been offered a contract and may not be invited back this year, if he is he will be in very stiff competition for that 7th spot.

I am of the understanding that a two way contract simply means a different salary when playing in each league and has nothing to do with waivers.

In general, the two way contract pays a higher salary for playing in the NHL [probably the NHL minimum per the CBA in this situation] and a much lower salary for playing in the AHL.

How can a two way contract eliminate the CBA wavier rules?

Discuss or enlighten me.

:)

Two-way contracts only mean that the salary differs from AHL to NHL. Guys like Locke and Danis who also had two-way contracts had to clear waivers. It all depends on the players age when he signed his first pro contract and how many pro seasons he has played.

I was thinking the same thing... He`s 26 and has yet to play in the NHL!

I agree that we do have some player that are being over paid for their services (cough*boulluion*cough), but Brise has always been misunderstood in Montreal. He`s always been an offensive d-man, you can`t expect him to play a defensive style game. It would be like sticking Komi in an offensive role, that`s not his game. Both Brise and Komi are good at what they do, but you can`t expect them to reverse their roles, it just won`t happen.

We`ve already chased brise out of town once, let him play his style of play and be a leader for the younger players. He`s the only hab still playing (that know of) who was on the `93 team. He brings a lot of experience to the team.

I was thinking the same thing... He`s 26 and has yet to play in the NHL!

I agree that we do have some player that are being over paid for their services (cough*boulluion*cough), but Brise has always been misunderstood in Montreal. He`s always been an offensive d-man, you can`t expect him to play a defensive style game. It would be like sticking Komi in an offensive role, that`s not his game. Both Brise and Komi are good at what they do, but you can`t expect them to reverse their roles, it just won`t happen.

We`ve already chased brise out of town once, let him play his style of play and be a leader for the younger players. He`s the only hab still playing (that know of) who was on the `93 team. He brings a lot of experience to the team.

LOL!!

i would have said it in the same way!! If Pat won the staley cup as a team in 1993 well he could do it this season to!! Pat is a great player some people don't see it!! I also love Komi!! Don't we all I mean his defence is awsome he gives us roughness and can procide a few goals!!

Hope komi stays as a hab forever same with Pat!! LOL

But this Chad guy might be good for us!!

Archived