The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Dallas Signs Sean Avery

I don't know if Avery will keep his old habits...but I don't think we'll have to worry about it....

We barely play against Dallas...so no more of the little -so called- pest on our horizon.

Changing team might affect Sean Avery's behavior, though. I don't think the Stars want any trouble-making...they're aiming high for victory and not for media attention towards a player in particular.

Whatever happens...the only thing I'll be kinda missing is automatically saying "Ughh, Avery!" when I hear about the Rangers. HAHA ;)

Have to see how this plays out. Even if he's buddies with GM Hull, Captain Morrow publicly said he hates the guy and Turks said he defaced the game of hockey with his antics in front of Brodeur. They're all smiles in that photo at the baseball game though, publicity stunt and/or otherwise. Of course, people say "you hate to play against him, you love to play with him" but I don't know... If things go bad, I expect Morrow will either grind his teeth and deal with the guy...or feed him to Steve Ott.

Maybe they'll like him. Just wonder how his spleen will hold out when he gets KRONWALLED.

Have to see how this plays out. Even if he's buddies with GM Hull, Captain Morrow publicly said he hates the guy and Turks said he defaced the game of hockey with his antics in front of Brodeur. They're all smiles in that photo at the baseball game though, publicity stunt and/or otherwise. Of course, people say "you hate to play against him, you love to play with him" but I don't know... If things go bad, I expect Morrow will either grind his teeth and deal with the guy...or feed him to Steve Ott.

Maybe they'll like him. Just wonder how his spleen will hold out when he gets KRONWALLED.

It is a shame. If he concrentrated on the game, the guy can really play.

Maybe a leader like Morrow can settle him down so he can be a positive for them.

On the other hand, if the situation gets untolerable, maybe we can swing a deal when Morrow wants out !!!!!

i know a lot of people (namely stars fans) disagree with me, but i think he's redundant on a team that already had morrow and ott, and turco (dirtiest goalie ever). i hope his penalty minutes and antics add up to nothing good for the stars.

on the plus side, they're even more easily hateable now. :blink:

4 million for a grinder with some offensive abilities? Not unexpected, but no way I'd want him or a similar player at that price.

4 million for Avery is about 2 million too much. You could teach Lapierre to be just as big a jerk and it wouldn't cost you an arm and a leg.

if they were both at the same price I would take Avery but they are not :) besides running his mouth and being a rich source of tabloid information what exactly does Avery bring to a team?

4 million for Avery is about 2 million too much. You could teach Lapierre to be just as big a jerk and it wouldn't cost you an arm and a leg.

if they were both at the same price I would take Avery but they are not :) besides running his mouth and being a rich source of tabloid information what exactly does Avery bring to a team?

To be fair, if he's able to stay healthy and play 82 games, he can probably get 20 goals and 20-30 assists. When he sticks to hockey he can be a low end second line player or a very good 3rd/4th line player. Add in the agitating and you've got a fairly multi-dimensional player. I don't think these together are worth 4 million, but at the same time for Lapierre to be just as good it would involve more than just teaching him to be a pest. I thinik Avery probably deserved in the 2-3 million range (not that I'd want him for that, but a guy who may be able to get you 50 points while being a great agitator is probably worth that to some teams).

• 3 weeks later...

Lapierre don't have 25% of Avery's guts and he also don't have 25% of Avery's offensive talents.

Avery said in an interview recently that his first choice was the Maple Leafs but Fletcher didn't want him. he said "I said I wanted to play here ... but they didn't seem to want me. I guess they wanted to stay in last place," said Avery, taking a shot at the Leafs"

Damn I hate Fletcher, Avery with the Leafs how cool would that be ?

Lapierre don't have 25% of Avery's guts and he also don't have 25% of Avery's offensive talents.

Avery said in an interview recently that his first choice was the Maple Leafs but Fletcher didn't want him. he said "I said I wanted to play here ... but they didn't seem to want me. I guess they wanted to stay in last place," said Avery, taking a shot at the Leafs"

Damn I hate Fletcher, Avery with the Leafs how cool would that be ?

Toronto does not have the type of dressing room to have a Sean Avery and allow him to be beneficial.

You need some really imposing leaders on your team if you want to add an Avery.

Archived