The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Gilmour Named Marlies Assistant Coach

Scott92

Gilmour Named Marlies Assistant Coach

The Canadian Press

gilmour_sm_59126.jpg

Doug Gilmour is heading back to ice level.

The former NHLer was named an assistant coach of the American Hockey League's Toronto Marlies on Thursday. Gilmour spent the past two seasons working as an advisor to Maple Leafs management.

"We are thrilled to have Doug join the coaching staff of the Marlies," Leafs GM Cliff Fletcher said in a statement. "Doug has done so much for the Leafs organization and he brings a wealth of hockey knowledge and experience to Greg Gilbert's staff."

Gilmour is a former Maple Leafs captain and enjoyed some of his best seasons with the team. He retired in September 2003.

Toronto will raise a banner in his honour later this season.

Source

They are sending Dougie down the path to the Maple Leafs bench. They will groom him in the A, first as assistant and then as head coach and he will probably be coaching the blue and white within the next 5-6 years. I loved Killer, i'll bet he makes a great coach.

Personally, though, I always thought he looked better in red ;)

I figured a player of Gilmour's calibre and experience would start outeither as an assistant in the NHL or a head coach in a lower league. This position seems a bit beneath him, although it's possible he didn't want to put in head coach time.

I know it's not really a nice thing to say, but, I don't really think Gilmour is smart enough to be a good NHL or AHL head coach.

I kind of get the feeling you are going to see him keep getting shuffled around the Leaf organization in different capacities as the years go on, until he is in a good will position like Darryl Sittler.

Remember in the playoffs a while back, he received a penalty he slammed the penalty box door and it shattered

Hmm just looked for it on youtube, seems like its been searched for before.. But i didnt have any luck finding it? Anyone better then me looking up vids ;)

Remember in the playoffs a while back, he received a penalty he slammed the penalty box door and it shattered

Hmm just looked for it on youtube, seems like its been searched for before.. But i didnt have any luck finding it? Anyone better then me looking up vids ;)

That was such a bogus call !!!

Players slam the penalty box door 100 times a game, poor Doug just happens to be the one that has the glass shatter.........

They are sending Dougie down the path to the Maple Leafs bench. They will groom him in the A, first as assistant and then as head coach and he will probably be coaching the blue and white within the next 5-6 years. I loved Killer, i'll bet he makes a great coach.

Personally, though, I always thought he looked better in red ;)

How many 100 point seasons did he have there?

gilmour1226.jpg

i prefer to think of him with these colors:)

No way this looks so much better.

gilmour_300_history.jpg

Archived