The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Build Your Canadiens Dream Team

concreteveins

I don't know if this type of topic has ever been posted but after listening to a sports talk show today they had fans calling in and e-mailing their NHL dream team. You take your favourite team and use players in the entire history of the team to make your "dream" team. You have two goalies, three pairs of defenceman and four forward lines. No extras.

Here is how mine would look (I know some of the postions are wrong, but I don't really think it matters):

Shutt - Beliveau - Lafleur

Cournoyer - H. Richard - M. Richard

Naslund - Koivu - Kovalev

Gainey - Carbonneau - Geoffrion

Harvey - Robinson

Savard - G. Lapointe

Reardon - Komisarek

Roy

Price

I wonder if I will get grilled for my team?

I don't know if this type of topic has ever been posted but after listening to a sports talk show today they had fans calling in and e-mailing their NHL dream team. You take your favourite team and use players in the entire history of the team to make your "dream" team. You have two goalies, three pairs of defenceman and four forward lines. No extras.

Here is how mine would look (I know some of the postions are wrong, but I don't really think it matters):

Shutt - Beliveau - Lafleur

Cournoyer - H. Richard - M. Richard

Naslund - Koivu - Kovalev

Gainey - Carbonneau - Geoffrion

Harvey - Robinson

Savard - G. Lapointe

Reardon - Komisarek

Roy

Price

I wonder if I will get grilled for my team?

Try as I might (and I have been for years) I can't settle on lines, but here's 12 forwards, 6 defensemen, and 2 goalies

1. Jean Beliveau

2. Maurice Richard

3. Guy Lafleur

4. Yvan Cournoyer

5. Jacques Lemaire

6. Mats Naslund

7. Saku Koivu

8. Boom Boom

9. Bob Gainey

10. Guy Charbonneau

11. Elmer Lach

12. Henri Richard

1. Larry Robinson

2. Doug Harvey

3. Serge Savard

4. Guy Lapointe

5. Chris Chelios

6. Emile "butch" Bouchard

1. Patrick Roy

2. Ken Dryden

I'd probably go with:

Shutt-Lemaire-Lafleur

H. Richard-Beliveau-Boom Boom

Blake-Lach-M. Richard

Gainey-Jarvis-Carbonneau

Savard-Robinson

Lapointe-Chelios

Harvey-Laperiere

3 reserves would be Cournoyer,Naslund, Butch Bouchard

Roy

Dryden

Coach would be Scotty Bowman (Toe Blake a very close second)

GM Sam Pollack

Here's mine:

Forwards:

Dickie Moore-Henri Richard-Maurice Richard

Steve Shutt-Jacques Lemaire-Guy Lafleur

Bert Olmstead-Jean Beliveau-Bernie Geoffrion

Toe Blake-Howie Morenz-Yvan Cournoyer

Defensemen:

Doug Harvey-Tom Johnson

Larry Robinson-Serge Savard

Butch Bouchard-Guy Lapointe

Goalies:

Bill Durnan

Georges Vezina

I am not ready to bump these great players off my list in favor of any of the moderns yet, although Koivu comes closest, due to his exemplary play as captain and his heroic battle with Hodgkins Lymphoma has made him a hero and a leader. Komisarek also has potential to be one of the great defensemen in Habs history, and Price has a lot of potential as well, but the jury is still out on them. Give them like, three years to see how they pan out, but they do bring some serious ability. Only time will tell.

There were so many great players that were off my list because I only had the choice of four forward lines, three defensive pairings and two goalies per the rules set forth in this thread, and it was not easy putting this one together. I saw no mention of Bill Durnan and Georges Vezina, despite their being among the greats of all time. Vezina even has a trophy in his honor. Durnan was such a great goalie that he had the record for consecutive shutout minutes for a long time. I also did not see anyone mention Tom Johnson, another great defenseman, from that legendary Habs team of the late 50s who won 5 consecutive Stanley Cups. Not only is he a Hall-Of-Famer, but he was also an excellent coach, leading Boston to their last Stanley Cup in 1972.

Center

Jean Béliveau

Jacques Lemaire

Henri Richard

Howie Morenz

I would like to have Koivu as he is great leader but the other centers are all HHOF.

Right Wing

Guy Lafleur

Maurice Richard

Yvan Cournoyer

Bernard Geoffrion

Left Wing

Steve Shutt

Dickie Moore

Bob Gainey

Mats Naslund

Honourable mention would be Aurèle Joliat. But he played so many years ago that I have no idea if he was good or great player.

Defence

Larry Robinson

Doug Harvey

Serge Savard

Chris Chelios

Chris Chelios was a very good player for Montreal. But more importantly look at his years in Chicago and Detroit to see how really good this player has been over his career. He belongs on the Dream Team.

Goalie

Patrick Roy

Jacques Plante

By far the hardest position given the absolutely impressive list of goalies to select from. Dryden, Durnan, Hainsworth, Vézina, Worsley, and hopefully Carey Price could all be on the Dream Team. I would suggest that Bill Durnan is the best player behind Patrick Roy without his sweater in the rafters at the Bell Centre. I hope that Patrick Roy gets his number retired this season.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived