The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Last Habs Superstar Forward?

goleafsgo08

Im pretty sure we had a thread like this a while back but I cant find it with the search...

I did remove the link to the other forum - its against the rules to include links such as that.

As for your question...probably the last superstar forward we had (during his prime) was indeed, Lafleur. I would argue we've only had a handful of superstars since lafleur - and none have been forwards. Roy, Chelios - even Theodore (for a season at least) but not much else. In his Prime Denis Savard was definitely a superstar but he was past that when he signed with us. Damphousse, Muller, Smith, Naslund - all 90+ point players but none were truly superstars.

If he had had a consistent playing career, Turgeon may have been one & while he scored on superstar pace with us, he was only with us just over 1 season.

I think the bigger question is: When will we get a true superstar forward? Im still pushing for a Malkin trade myself!!! :P:):P

I don't know about you ...but when Kovy has the puck...there's an aura in the arena that you can't tell while watching on tv...it's like everyone knows something magical is gonna happen...maybe he doens't have the points of a superstar but right now...he's the biggest thing in MTL.

He was only a real star for 2 or 3 seasons but Stephane Richer in his prime probably was the closest thing the Habs had when it comes to a forward superstar.

i stongly agree....RICHER was the man. I think he was the last hab that had a chant for his name.......every

game he played at the forum the richer chant was going on....it was awesome

I agree Lafleur and for a short time Richer but he was a bit of a head case. Other than that Roy, Chelios of course Robinson. We have had some good/great players including Kovy, Gainey(some could call him a superstar). But most of those are from teams from teams long ago.

To me a superstar is one where the opposition has to change their style of play to contain him. I just have not really seen that lately. Andrei Kostitsyn has a great potential to be one - not there yet but soon.

On another forum I use, more NHL then just the Habs someone posed the question who was the last superstar forward?

Guy Lafleur. There have been several very good forwards with Montreal since Guy Lafleur last worn #10 in Montreal however, in my opinion a superstar forward is top 10 in scoring for several years in a row, All Star Team, and wins at least one major award over the time period.

On the defensive forward category then the last superstar forward was Guy Carbonneau.

I thought that Stephane Richer, Bobby Smith, Mats Naslund, Shayne Corson, Alex Kovalev, Saku Koivu, Vincent Damphousse, Kirk Muller, and Pierre Turgeon were all very good offensive forwards but not superstar calibre.

Maybe I am just spoiled by watching Guy Lafleur in the mid 70s and early 80s when he was the BEST offensive forward in the entire NHL.

He was only a real star for 2 or 3 seasons but Stephane Richer in his prime probably was the closest thing the Habs had when it comes to a forward superstar.

Richer did have a couple of 50+ goal years, but I think the big problem was the transformation of the Habs into a more defensive-minded team than they were even then. I think management at the time was undergoing a transitional period, and Richer, and ultimately Roy, were caught up in it. We dumped a lot of good players in that time period.

Archived